Sign in to follow this  
mr Pointy Ears

Voyager"s planetary landing

When the episode "the 37's" first aired and show a starship landing on a planet for the first time,what was your reaction to seeing  voyager  landing?.

"How does that ship manage to stand on only those tiny feet things, that is not very realistic"

Honestly, that WAS my first thought, and one of the few Voyager thoughts I remember having.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

"How does that ship manage to stand on only those tiny feet things, that is not very realistic"

Honestly, that WAS my first thought, and one of the few Voyager thoughts I remember having.

I’m assuming (?) that the ship’s teensy little landing struts were probably aided by some kind of Treknological antigravity gizmos (?).

the37s094.jpg

Like this...

themotionpicture0241.jpg

....only bigger

But yeah, when I first saw it?  I thought it looked a little ridiculous.    Like a toddler supporting a couch on its back...

29 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I thought it needed at LEAST two more struts. But that it would still bury its nose in the dirt.

It would have been hilarious if they had had this dramatic landing scene and then the ship stands for a second and then there's a screeching and a cracking sound and it just falls over. :laugh:

23 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

It would have been hilarious if they had had this dramatic landing scene and then the ship stands for a second and then there's a screeching and a cracking sound and it just falls over. :laugh:

That's always what I half expected anyway. :)

There needs to be two more struts in the front. Even one just under the nose would be enough.

But can't have that because then it look as pretty.

I had the same thought for a couple of seconds then decided they were only to stabilize the ship in contact with the ground and not to hold its entire mass.

7 minutes ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

I had the same thought for a couple of seconds then decided they were only to stabilize the ship in contact with the ground and not to hold its entire mass.

Perfectly valid point in the age of anti-grav.

It still looks awkward.

11 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

SpaceX%20Explodes.gif

I imagine the top of this rocket being Voyager’s forward hull...:giggle:

On 06/02/2018 at 4:07 PM, Mr.Picard said:

That would have been a good final episode. 😂🙈

2 hours ago, Dillkid said:

That would have been a good final episode. 😂🙈

As VGR's top heavy forward section begins to fall, we hear Janeway utter a sarcastic, "Nice going Tom!" 

Kaboom!

The end. :P

I always liked Voyager as a ship design, even if it did look like a bit like a warp-propelled toilet seat. 

But the addition of the landing struts and its ability to make planetfall just seem like a total afterthought. Like everyone else here, I was like, “Uh, how does it stay upright on those?” 

Yeah, gotta be some Trek tech, there. 

How many times does it actually land during the shows seven seasons? I know it crashes once or twice and then there’s a reset. 

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I always liked Voyager as a ship design, even if it did look like a bit like a warp-propelled toilet seat. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9467035

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

How many times does it actually land during the shows seven seasons? I know it crashes once or twice and then there’s a reset. 

I think it lands on that episode where they encounter their liquid metal doppelgängers (or as my state’s former governator might say, “Leequeed met-tle”), and I can’t even begin to remember the title.  There’s also the crash in “Timeless.” 

Beyond that, I’m stumped. 

The 37's - the first time Voyager was seen to land - it is also the first time a federation starship is seen landing and taking off from any other Star Trek series
Demon - lands to look for away team
Basics part 1 - Voyager is sky-jacked by Kazon/Seska, lands to strand crew on a nearby planet in their system
Basics part 2 - Voyager presumably lands to retrieve crew, but the landing is not shown
Dragon's Teeth - lands for repair after being fired upon
Nightingale - lands for maintenance  

May or may not have landed during Workforce, part 2, when it hides inside a moon's crater.

36 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9467035

I think it lands on that episode where they encounter their liquid metal doppelgängers (or as my state’s former governator might say, “Leequeed met-tle”), and I can’t even begin to remember the title.  There’s also the crash in “Timeless.” 

Beyond that, I’m stumped. 

Oh, yeah Timeless - that was the crash onto the ice world, wasn’t it? That was cool. No stumpy landing legs there, just full-on smashdown. 

The other episode that I think you’re describing (with leequeeeed met-tle :biggrin: ) is Demon, when they land on a demon-class world and are all copied by intelligent mercury. Which is sort of an entertaining, creepy episode that falls apart at the end. 

I kind of hate the general assumption that Federation vessels can all land now, or are so advanced they have magic gravity repulsors. I can buy it in the Star Wars universe, but I always liked the fact that the original 1701 or even the 1701-D couldn’t land - they were ships built for vacuum, for cruising between stars. But now every ship ever (hi Discovery) can sort of loiter above ground in this gravity-defying way. The JJ movies really took it to ridiculous degrees - having the Enterprise hiding in cloud cover, landing the ship underwater and lame stuff like that. But [looks hard at Voyager], you started it, VOY. 

5 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

The 37's - the first time Voyager was seen to land - it is also the first time a federation starship is seen landing and taking off from any other Star Trek series
Demon - lands to look for away team
Basics part 1 - Voyager is sky-jacked by Kazon/Seska, lands to strand crew on a nearby planet in their system
Basics part 2 - Voyager presumably lands to retrieve crew, but the landing is not shown
Dragon's Teeth - lands for repair after being fired upon
Nightingale - lands for maintenance  

May or may not have landed during Workforce, part 2, when it hides inside a moon's crater.

Thanks for the list Prome! 

I don’t remember any of those other eps really. Basics a bit, vaguely. 

5 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

The other episode that I think you’re describing (with leequeeeed met-tle :biggrin: ) is Demon, when they land on a demon-class world and are all copied by intelligent mercury. Which is sort of an entertaining, creepy episode that falls apart at the end. 

Ah, yes!  That was it, thanks.  :thumbup:

A mimetic polly-alloy... leequeeeed met-tle.  Okay, if I don’t stop I’ll be doing my bad Ah-nold impression all night.  

giphy.gif

Sign in to follow this