Sign in to follow this  
The Founder

Star Wars: Solo

20 minutes ago, The Founder said:

Sadly, yes :/

I didn't say that this will destroy the franchise. If the prequels didn't - nothing will. Star Wars will always survive.

But if backlash after backlash after backlash continues - then it could negatively impact the future of Star Wars as movies. The same way the big wigs behind DC movieverse has people wanting to walk back this franchise. It isn't getting the love they thought it would. It's still getting money, of course, but will always be told "You're no Marvel". That is an impact. Same with these new Star Wars movies constantly being told "You're not original trilogy".

I don't want Star Wars to be "an event". In fact, I was so excited at the idea of a new trilogy, spin off films, and a possible t.v. show. I want to be over saturated with Star Wars. But I want GOOD Star Wars. Not garbage.

I didn't say anyone did say it would destroy the franchise, I'm just being hyperbolic in that sense. As to the "Event" comment, that is more meant for Vie, who did say  that, but also said he will buy a ticket because it is Star Wars.

But the biggest difference between us is that I am very not into the oversaturation.  To quote my friend, I'd actually give up never seeing another new Star Wars film for the rest of my life, if it meant I didn't have to see any other Star Wars tie-in commercial.  But that is me.

8 hours ago, kenman said:

It is not a default of hating something...it's just seeing beyond the brand "Star Wars" and just looking at what the film seems to be. 

For me, t’s not just a Pavlovian response to the name Star Wars; it’s sentimentality, plain and simple.  

I’m old enough to remember how Star Wars literally changed all of cinema from 1977 onward, and when a movie or TV show impacts your life that powerfully, you will always hold it to a different standard than other entertainments.   Movies were (and are) not the same since that summer of 1977.   That’s not exaggeration, but a statement of fact.   No one can tell me differently because I lived it. 

If anything, I think it’s unfair to the Star Wars franchise that fans like myself remember it so fondly, because it puts the creators in an unenviable position of feeling that they have to top such a game-changer of cinema EVERY time...

7 hours ago, The Founder said:

But if backlash after backlash after backlash continues - then it could negatively impact the future of Star Wars as movies. The same way the big wigs behind DC movieverse has people wanting to walk back this franchise. It isn't getting the love they thought it would. It's still getting money, of course, but will always be told "You're no Marvel". That is an impact. Same with these new Star Wars movies constantly being told "You're not original trilogy".

And this speaks to what I was saying; the backlash has been dogging the franchise since the prequels.  Though to be fair, the prequels are genuinely bad movies.   

To be completely honest, I’d have to say that the entire SW franchise has really only produced two genuine classics (IMO); “SW77” and “Empire...”   The rest have been various shades of good (occasionally hitting moments of greatness) to numbingly disappointing.    Compared to a long-running scifi franchise like Star Trek, that’s a pretty dismal average.

But my powerful memory of how great Star Wars could be is what keeps me coming back with a big silly grin on my face.   Even that opening blast of John Williams’ music still puts me right back in that day in 1977 that changed everything for me.  

That music forgives a LOT of sins, by the way...;)

Sign in to follow this