GustavoLeao

Shatner Wants to Return in Tarantino Movie

Will he EVER stop saying he'd appear in this and that and this and that Trek project...? (Of course he won't. This is a rhetorical question.)

Seriously, if I were Tarantino or whoever else will be in charge of things I'd make it a point to explicitly hire someone else to play an older Kirk or whatever other Kirk-ish role they have... just to annoy Shatner. :P

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Will he EVER stop saying he'd appear in this and that and this and that Trek project...? (Of course he won't. This is a rhetorical question.)

Seriously, if I were Tarantino or whoever else will be in charge of things I'd make it a point to explicitly hire someone else to play an older Kirk or whatever other Kirk-ish role they have... just to annoy Shatner. :P

I wonder if Tim Allen is available... :giggle:

tumblr_mw1et0IUz21r5k9koo5_r2_250.gif

Depends on the script but if it was good then absolutely. Why not?

In other words, it depends on his line count.

I know this board kind of despises Shatner, but to be fair, he is going to be constantly asked and he is going to constantly answer in the affirmative.  If you want him to shut up about returning in any Trek project, people have to stop asking the question. 

11 minutes ago, kenman said:

I know this board kind of despises Shatner, but to be fair, he is going to be constantly asked and he is going to constantly answer in the affirmative.  If you want him to shut up about returning in any Trek project, people have to stop asking the question. 

If journalists/bloggers don't ask, the rabid Shatner fans will ask and demand for him to voice his opinion. And Shatner would probably write an essay, just to remind everyone that I AM WILLIAM SHATNER I AM HERE FOR ANYTHING STAR TREK. :P

Sir Patrick is being constantly asked the same and yet you don't read an "hello yes here I aaaaaaaam, over heeeeere" article whenever there's something new coming out in the Trek universe. There are some articles with his Tarantino opinion (which is more because he ONCE said he'd be interested, but more because of the prospect of working with Tarantino than the prospect of being a part of Trek again, but the fandom loves to leap to its own conclusions I guess), but it's nowhere near Shatner's levels because Shatner just has this rather annoying ability to throw himself into the spotlight whenever possible with an "I feel uncomfortable when not about Kirk" attitude.

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

If journalists/bloggers don't ask, the rabid Shatner fans will ask and demand for him to voice his opinion. And Shatner would probably write an essay, just to remind everyone that I AM WILLIAM SHATNER I AM HERE FOR ANYTHING STAR TREK. :P

Sir Patrick is being constantly asked the same and yet you don't read an "hello yes here I aaaaaaaam, over heeeeere" article whenever there's something new coming out in the Trek universe. There are some articles with his Tarantino opinion (which is more because he ONCE said he'd be interested, but more because of the prospect of working with Tarantino than the prospect of being a part of Trek again, but the fandom loves to leap to its own conclusions I guess), but it's nowhere near Shatner's levels because Shatner just has this rather annoying ability to throw himself into the spotlight whenever possible with an "I feel uncomfortable when not about Kirk" attitude.

^
u7XsJRD.gif

4 hours ago, kenman said:

Don't mind on this end. All for it.

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Really like Shatner most of the time. Early Kirk is a great character, compelling to watch for all the right reasons. I always looked forward to the next Star Trek movie back in the day to get a glimpse of this version and it happened once: “You fool, take a look around you. The planet’s destroying itself. If we don’t help each other we’ll die here.” I’d be very happy to see Mr Shatner in another Star Trek movie. Having seen him on stage in his mid-eighties, running and goofing around with astonishing energy, he’s an impressive fellow in many respects. 

6 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

May I summarize for you?

One of these  people is generally:

(Sung to the tune of "Jingle Bells" Me, me, me. Me, me, me. Me, me me, me, me.)

And the other is not.

That's why I'm pretty much over Shatner.

I don’t hate Captain Kirk; he’s a terrific character (even though I was always more of a Spock fan, but I get it).

He’s the classic post-JFK American hero.   A literary and screen archetype.

It’s Shatner I have the issues with.  He just seems very dismissive of Star Trek except when there’s an extra buck to be squeezed from it, then he’s suddenly it’s biggest cheerleader.  

I also found out that Shatner recently (for whatever reason) blocked Chris Doohan on Twitter; seriously WTF, Shatner??   I follow Chris Doohan, and I’ve met him many times, and he’s one of the kindest men I’ve met.   I honestly can’t imagine a good reason for Shatner to block him; stop following him, sure (I’ve done that to some people for various reasons) but blocked??  That’s a bit harsh...

Shatner has blocked people before and unblocked them, and there is sometimes bo reason for it. He may just be a dope who is accidentally blocking people. I know he did block STC because they had used an inage of his Kirk to promote their show, and he didn’t appreciate that. Which is his right I suppose. Are you sure he blocked Doohan or just the show? At any rate you can block whoever you want on twitter, if it is anyone I wont really hold that against him. 

Slightly off topic, Uma Thurman interview about Weinstein, Hollywood, and how her friendship with Tarantino crumbled makes me REALLY want him out of the franchise. He is a great filmmaker, but he nearly killed her in a stunt...and I just want his filmmaking style and brand nowhere near Trek...I love his work, think he is not what the franchise needs. Unfortunatey I think it had gotten what it needed as a film franchise and it didn’t make a enough money. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

Slightly off topic, Uma Thurman interview about Weinstein, Hollywood, and how her friendship with Tarantino crumbled makes me REALLY want him out of the franchise. He is a great filmmaker, but he nearly killed her in a stunt...and I just want his filmmaking style and brand nowhere near Trek...I love his work, think he is not what the franchise needs. Unfortunatey I think it had gotten what it needed as a film franchise and it didn’t make a enough money. 

This.

That she was that terrified of it should have been reason enough not to do it. Someone that scared could have screwed things up all on their own.

That she almost died and then he's a ^%$ about it rather than groveling at her feet unable to even now apologize for it enough, is just the icing on the manure cake.

He's an ass. 

Edited by prometheus59650

Yea it really sours things. I’ve always thought he seemed like a jerk, but I mean...jeez. The way this movement has been going, I would not be surprised if the people behind the Trek brand will end this project and oust him. Maybe just to get a product out with a likable and willing cast, they bring back the Kelvin crew for another shot. 

I really liked Lin and Pegg and Jung’s take, and I think that if they were given legit time and a more realistic budget and got a better marketing treatment...they could make something very special. Alas, I think that is totally out the window now. I think the Kelvin crew could get another shot, but Lin is probably out behind the wheel. Jung and Pegg could maybe be an option, but I doubt it. 

25 minutes ago, kenman said:

I really liked Lin and Pegg and Jung’s take, and I think that if they were given legit time and a more realistic budget and got a better marketing treatment...they could make something very special.

As it was, they came up with a film that was remarkably good in the, like, 7 or 8 weeks that they had to write it.

4 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

As it was, they came up with a film that was remarkably good in the, like, 7 or 8 weeks that they had to write it.

To me it genuinely felt like the perfect melding of Classic Star Trek (the ideals, the characters, the warmth and humor) with the modern sensibilities brought to the franchise in 2009 (the pace, the visuals, the action)...it melded those two worlds better than 2009 in my opinion (which had some great surface level Trek, but is a little hollow in places). I really think some lamer marketing and the bad taste left by Into Darkness and the emphasis on the action stuff only lead Trek fans to think they were doing exactly what people feared when Fast & Furious Lin was hired...and he actually made a solid Trek film...and it's a shame that is work got seen by too few fans and didn't manage to get enough buzz to warrant the mainstream audiences joining in (at least enough).  A shame. 

16 hours ago, kenman said:

Are you sure he blocked Doohan or just the show?

It’s just Doohan, I’m sure.  I follow Doohan (and STC), and he seemed as perplexed by it as anyone.

10 hours ago, kenman said:

To me it genuinely felt like the perfect melding of Classic Star Trek (the ideals, the characters, the warmth and humor) with the modern sensibilities brought to the franchise in 2009 (the pace, the visuals, the action)...it melded those two worlds better than 2009 in my opinion (which had some great surface level Trek, but is a little hollow in places). I really think some lamer marketing and the bad taste left by Into Darkness and the emphasis on the action stuff only lead Trek fans to think they were doing exactly what people feared when Fast & Furious Lin was hired...and he actually made a solid Trek film...and it's a shame that is work got seen by too few fans and didn't manage to get enough buzz to warrant the mainstream audiences joining in (at least enough).  A shame. 

Very much this.

I think STB was Trek really flying high out of the hole that it fell into with STID.  But I think its release was bungled by inept PR and a failure to open it as a simultaneous global release.  STB is my personal favorite of the three BR ST movies.

The last thing I will say on the Doohan blocking is this. I am blocked by John Cusack. I discovered when someone else was responding to him. I have never followed or communicated anything to John Cusack. I actually like him as an actor so if I had communicated towards him, it would be far from masty about him. Yet...somehow I was blocked by him. I doubt he saw anything I tweeted, or gives any kind of crap about me...yet if Cusack is out there tweeting I have no idea. So reading full intentions into a blocking just seems a bit much to me. If you are blocked my someone, you can’t send them a message and say “hey why?”

But we do definitely agree on Beyond. It was also a solid ending for that crew in my view, so if they never return, I won’t call it a major loss, but I do think that they have a lovely, young, attactive, charismatic cast that WANTS to do more, and it seems with better marketing you can sell movies with them on the poster for a few more years...why after the lesser success of Beyond after two quite international successes of their first two entries...they’ve decided to just move on and hire Tarantino to make something darker, R-rated, and just plain totally different is beyond me. Beyond may have not been a megablockbuster, but it wasn’t a total flop either...especially considering how much behind the scenes turmoil there was. They are lucky it did as well as it did. 

3 hours ago, kenman said:

especially considering how much behind the scenes turmoil there was. They are lucky it did as well as it did. 

I agree.  I am assuming Bad Robot/JJ made the ultimate decision to hand the franchise over to Robert Orci.  And I am 100% not surprised that failed.  Incredibly poor judgement with an asset worth hundreds of millions in ticket sales.  Paramount should really not allow Bad Robot to make more Star Trek films.  

It was not so much that Star Trek: Beyond was a failure.  It wasn’t!  I loved what Pegg and Jung created with Linn.  But the production was managed horribly.  If anyone’s head should role because of Beyond, it should be JJ’s.

As for the topic at hand, I don’t think Shatner could carry a tentpole movie.  Unless they do an animated CGI movie with lower expectations.  That could work, but a live-action movie with CGI Shat would be a mistake.  I’m torn though because I feel like they should take advantage of Shatner to capture Kirk again before he dies. 

Edited by Locutus

Just my unpopular opinion around here, but I have watched Beyond twice and have no desire to see it again. When I see opinions on it here, I wonder if we were watching the same movie, although I've seen other posts lining up with my opinion on Reddit so I guess I'm not the only one that feels the way I do about it. I don't want to derail this thread with another endless debate about why Beyond disappointed at the box office, just saying that I think a new writer and director would be a good thing for the next movie because I don't want to watch more of the same next time. 

As for Shatner, I wouldn't mind if he made an appearance, I just wouldn't want him to have as big of a role as he did in Generations. I don't see this happening.

19 hours ago, Hammer said:

Just my unpopular opinion around here, but I have watched Beyond twice and have no desire to see it again. When I see opinions on it here, I wonder if we were watching the same movie, although I've seen other posts lining up with my opinion on Reddit so I guess I'm not the only one that feels the way I do about it. I don't want to derail this thread with another endless debate about why Beyond disappointed at the box office, just saying that I think a new writer and director would be a good thing for the next movie because I don't want to watch more of the same next time. 

As for Shatner, I wouldn't mind if he made an appearance, I just wouldn't want him to have as big of a role as he did in Generations. I don't see this happening.

You're not alone in your opinion. I at least have this feeling about the JJ films in general. Into Darkness in particular. It seems each movie consciously or not is trying to echo it's respective opposite in the classic series (like the fourth reboot film being a time travel film). 

With Shatner, his mere presence would have to be big because it's him. I sometimes ponder his much talked about Enterprise guest spot that never happened. He'd surely have dwarfed the episode even in his incarnation as Emperor Tiberius. Part of me is done with Star Trek so whatever happens with this movie is neither here nor there.