Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Bootleged DISCOVERY DVD in Brazil

What I was afraid become a reality yesterday. I was visiting a mall here in Belo Horizonte with my family and was shocked to find several stores selling STAR TREK DISCOVERY  DVD and Blu-Ray sets with extras (classy !) label as "An Original Netflix Series" (see pic below) for the price of a burrito. I took a look and its feartures the two-part pilot in full almost-HD glory and several episodes in 2 DVDs. My uncle insisted I bought a set, but as always I told him that 1) I am not interested in watching Discovery and 2) I will not support piracy. But yeah piracy is a big bussiness in Brazil (remember my  STAR TREK BEYOND rant ???) and I know I am in the minority here because the store clerk said to me that it is hard to find a STAR TREK fan that is not buying those cheap bootlegs DVDs (or BRs) sets. To quote STAR TREK III, "Like we say on Earth, cest la vie". A shame for Brazil and other third-world countries. Sorry about that Netflix. Sigh.

27072336_10215623913250087_2303242977605

Sorry, guys, really.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Eh. It's always going to happen.

I give them credit though. These days, the bootleggers really go out of their way to try to make the cover art look professional.

5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Eh. It's always going to happen.

I give them credit though. These days, the bootleggers really go out of their way to try to make the cover art look professional.

Agreed. Can you tell this is  a bootleg DISCOVERY DVD label ? Heck, it sure looks legit to the buyer, but again, brazilian Trek fans will buy this one way or the other,

27545132_10215625176721673_6275365180113

I said in 2016 that bootleg DVDs would ruin STAR TREK BEYOND south America box office and boy, they did ! Now a lot of Brazilians who dont have Netflix are  going the piracy way. I myself feel tempted for 1,234 seconds when I saw this on the video store this Sunday,. Bootlegers are even pulling interviews and behind the scenes videos from YouTube and putting them as "extras" on those bootleg  DVDs, not only DSC  but on bootlegs of  WONDER WOMAN, LOGAN, THOR RAGNAROk and so forth, a friend told me.

I wil continue to buy my stuff on Amazon.com but I feel I am alone on this among naive South America trekkies, which again, its a shame.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

9 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Brazil, China, Argentina and Malaysia are the biggest  bootleg markets, Sehlat.

Unfortunately.

Gus

We have bootleggers here too,  but not as much.   You do see them now and then at conventions, though.  I make it a strict policy never to patronize them, even if they’re selling a video I can’t get in the States.   I’d rather wait for a Region 0 import copy (or buy a multi region player).

Having one worked for a DVD distribution company for 6 years (it was my brief, post-retail management job after early retirement), I know that bootleg videos cut directly into our business and was a factor in my ex-company losing its brick and mortar stores (they’re still online, but I no longer work for them).

This is just how it goes. You can’t blame it on not being readily available in Brazil. Bootlegs happen, always. In some places more than others. I don’t really see this as too different from any other piece of media that is stolen so easily. 

5 hours ago, kenman said:

This is just how it goes. You can’t blame it on not being readily available in Brazil. Bootlegs happen, always. In some places more than others. I don’t really see this as too different from any other piece of media that is stolen so easily. 

Sure, but it’s still theft; whether one steals a car or a piece of intellectual property. 

I see no difference.  

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

We have bootleggers here too,  but not as much.   You do see them now and then at conventions, though.  I make it a strict policy never to patronize them, even if they’re selling a video I can’t get in the States.   I’d rather wait for a Region 0 import copy (or buy a multi region player).

Having one worked for a DVD distribution company for 6 years (it was my brief, post-retail management job after early retirement), I know that bootleg videos cut directly into our business and was a factor in my ex-company losing its brick and mortar stores (they’re still online, but I no longer work for them).

Gee, Iam sorry. The same thing happens ghere as you can imagine because Brazil allows  public malls (called "shoppings camelos" whose are legal) to sell bootlegs.

Its really complicated here since its legal.

Gus

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Gee, Iam sorry. The same thing happens ghere as you can imagine because Brazil allows  public malls (called "shoppings camelos" whose are legal) to sell bootlegs.

Its really complicated here since its legal.

Gus

No offense, and I’ve nothing but deep respect for your country (every Brazilian I’ve ever met are just lovely people), but... are there no laws protecting international copyrights?  Just curious, and I’m not judging. 

Yep, the DVD bootleg market is legal in "shoppings camelos" (or popular malls) in Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro e Sao Payulo, beliece it or not.

And the bootleg DVDs are sold at price of one burrito. I remember WONDER WOMAN wa sold for $4 in the store I went this weekend, No laws against it, as far as I know.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

6 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Yep, the DVD bootleg market is legal in "shoppings camelos" (or popular malls) in Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro e Sao Payulo, beliece it or not.

And the bootleg DVDs are sold at price of one burrito. I remember WONDER WOMAN wa sold for $4 in the store I went this weekend, No laws against it, as far as I know.

Gus

That’s just... wow.

The FBI would be all over that here. :ohmy:

Brazil needs its own FBI. Our Federal Police must be worst than China's or Mlayasia's.

For more information in these "popular malls" or "camelodromos" that sells everything bootleg and the laws (or lack of) behind them,  Sehalt,  read the link below. You will be shocked. Hell, I live in Brazil and  Iam shocked when I go to those   places. Golly.

http://www.iipawebsite.com/rbc/2001/2001SPEC301BRAZIL.pdf

Gus

On 1/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Sure, but it’s still theft; whether one steals a car or a piece of intellectual property. 

I see no difference.  

I'm not arguing that it's not, I'm only saying that I can see some making the argument that this is why CBS should've made it more available, but you can't make that argument with Brazil, or any country outside of the US or maybe even Canada (I have no frame of reference for the service it is available on in Canada and how accessible it is), because it is on Netflix.  In the US, I can see the argument people make (I don't agree but I get it), but in Brazil and others there's no real excuse, as it is on an easy access site and that isn't prohibitively expensive (though maybe it is outside the US).

Man I love my country, even with all the problems we have in politics and economy, but I can tel you : the copyright infrigment policy we have sucks big time.

Gus