Sign in to follow this  
Jimmystrong

Theory about Discovery's return to the prime universe.

Hey, so stop me if others have come up with this before, but I've been thinking a lot about Discovery's eventual trip home. Spoilers for up to the most recent episode, and theoretical spoilers if this ends up in any way true, which, like, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Basically, my thought process started with the problems with canon. They've had a tooooon of information about the mirror universe, which never shows up again in trek. There seems to be. They've also found a way to beat the Klingon cloak, which they don't have in TOS. So Discovery returning to the Prime universe seems like something that can't happen.

But then I started thinking about all this talk of the Defiant. Now the Defiant didn't just jump universes, but it jumped back a hundred years. If that passage still exists, might it not send them a hundred years in the future?  Could this season end with Discovery jumping to the 24th century? It would be kind of cool to see Discovery expect to arrive home, receive contact from an incoming federation ship only to have a Galaxy Class starship warp in front of it.

Just a thought.

First, welcome to the board. Sit. Enjoy. Post plenty. :)

4 hours ago, Jimmystrong said:

They've also found a way to beat the Klingon cloak, which they don't have in TOS. So Discovery returning to the Prime universe seems like something that can't happen.

Well, as Spock once said, Military secrets are the most fleeting of all. It's an easy jump to suggest that all Discovery brings back is the solution to Klingon Cloaking Device 1.0, which ends the war, but doesn't eliminate the cloak threat.

Kirk stole a Romulan cloak. Picard couldn't detect Romulan ships.

If that passage still exists, might it not send them a hundred years in the future?

I suspect this ends with a spore jump home, but who knows?

Could this season end with Discovery jumping to the 24th century?

I gotta doubt it. The producers have said that S2 will leave the war in the rear view and have at least a few "boldly going" exploration episodes. That seems hard to do if Discovery jumps to the 24th century and everyone on the ship is a century out of time.

Edited by prometheus59650

14 hours ago, Jimmystrong said:

Hey, so stop me if others have come up with this before, but I've been thinking a lot about Discovery's eventual trip home. Spoilers for up to the most recent episode, and theoretical spoilers if this ends up in any way true, which, like, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Basically, my thought process started with the problems with canon. They've had a tooooon of information about the mirror universe, which never shows up again in trek. There seems to be. They've also found a way to beat the Klingon cloak, which they don't have in TOS. So Discovery returning to the Prime universe seems like something that can't happen.

But then I started thinking about all this talk of the Defiant. Now the Defiant didn't just jump universes, but it jumped back a hundred years. If that passage still exists, might it not send them a hundred years in the future?  Could this season end with Discovery jumping to the 24th century? It would be kind of cool to see Discovery expect to arrive home, receive contact from an incoming federation ship only to have a Galaxy Class starship warp in front of it.

Just a thought.

I’m not sure I see them ever returning to the prime universe we’re familiar with; maybe an alternate version of it.   And if they jump forward in time, maybe they shoot way past the 24th century (?).   

And also echoing Prometheus’ sentiments,  welcome aboard!   Post often and prosper.