Sign in to follow this  
Enterprise Discovery

Favorites in "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 1 (Spoilers Included)

Favorites in "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 1 (Spoilers Included)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite character in "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 1?

• Gabriel Lorca (mirror)
    • Michael Burnham
    • Saru
    • Voq
    • Ash Tyler
    • Paul Stamets
    • Sylvia Tilly
    • Philippa Georgiou
    • Katrina Cornwell
    • L'Rell
    • Hugh Culber
    • Harry Mudd
    • Sarek
    • Amanda Grayson
    • Kol
    • T'Kuvma
    • Brett Anderson
    • Ellen Landry
    • Saru (mirror)
    • Stuart
  2. 2. What is your favorite episode of "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 1?

• The Vulcan Hello
    • Battle at the Binary Stars
    • Context Is for Kings
    • The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry
    • Choose Your Pain
    • Lethe
    • Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad
    • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    • Into the Forest I Go
    • Despite Yourself
    • The Wolf Inside
    • Vaulting Ambition
    • What's Past Is Prologue
    • The War Without, The War Within
    • Will You Take My Hand?

I thought that it'd be interesting to have a poll thread. I'm new to making these, so if I left anyone's favorite(s) out, I apologize. I'm not sure if you can edit a poll, so let's see how this goes.

I feel like I should also mention, that the polls are multiple choice. Choose as many favorites as you want to.

Edited by Enterprise Discovery
Added details about polls.

I think everyone knows why my favorite Discovery character is, I don’t need to elaborate. :laugh: 

I can only vote for my favorite episode episode so far (more to come at this point), and that’s “Despite Yourself”. But I am also still very drawn towards “Context Is For Kings”.

31 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I think everyone knows why my favorite Discovery character is, I don’t need to elaborate. :laugh: 

I can only vote for my favorite episode episode so far (more to come at this point), and that’s “Despite Yourself”. But I am also still very drawn towards “Context Is For Kings”.

I don't think that the poll will ever end, so I figured that I'd add every Season 1 episode to it. I'm surprised that there aren't more polls, especially with the threads about episodes.

My favorite character would be a three-way tie between Tilly, Stamets and Lorca, so I didn’t vote.

And I didn’t vote for favorite episode since the season isn’t over yet. 

14 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

My favorite character would be a three-way tie between Tilly, Stamets and Lorca, so I didn’t vote.

And I didn’t vote for favorite episode since the season isn’t over yet. 

Well, it is multiple choice, if you want to choose more than one character.

Also, no need to vote fast, or at all, if you don't want to.

1 minute ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Well, it is multiple choice, if you want to choose more than one character.

Also, no need to vote fast, or at all, if you don't want to.

I’ll abstain till the season ends. ;)

The Full Lorca.

With a minor in Cornwell, who I hope we see return, as well.

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’ll abstain till the season ends. ;)

Lorca now, Lorca later. Why wait?  :P

1 hour ago, spectator said:

Spoken like a true member of Team Lorca!

tumblr_ly4865javk1qbv037.gif

13 minutes ago, spectator said:

Member? I'm a founding partner.

Even better!

tumblr_oynelm96ss1rrzbf3o1_500.gif

20 hours ago, spectator said:

The Full Lorca.

With a minor in Cornwell, who I hope we see return, as well.

Loco for Lorca...:laugh:

Is Micheal Burnham anyone's favorite character? She's supposed to be the main protagonist, but I think it's obvious that she isn't the engine that drives this show. The fanbase has gravitated towards Lorca, and if they get rid of him I think this show is in a bit of trouble. I think the showrunners kind of messed up with this concept of focusing on a non-command character. I hope they take some of the spotlight off of Burnham for season 2 and focus more on other, more interesting characters.

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Is Micheal Burnham anyone's favorite character? She's supposed to be the main protagonist, but I think it's obvious that she isn't the engine that drives this show. The fanbase has gravitated towards Lorca, and if they get rid of him I think this show is in a bit of trouble. I think the showrunners kind of messed up with this concept of focusing on a non-command character. I hope they take some of the spotlight off of Burnham for season 2 and focus more on other, more interesting characters.

She’s a good character, and an interesting character but not my favorite character.

A similar example for me would be Riker; I like Riker and I like Jonathan Frakes, but I don’t relate to him as I do others.  

I don’t think Burnham deserves all of the hate she gets online, but I also think her buildup was a bit too much as well.   Crafting the show from her POV in the beginning may have been a mistake, but not necessarily a fatal one.

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

For me, the Star Trek franchise has been known for having many great characters in each TV series and film. That's one thing that's so great about it and another reason for there being multiple choice in the poll.

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

I don't dislike her at all, but I don't LIKE her, either. She really hasn't given me a lot of reason to. Lorca? Tilly? Stamets? These people have spark. These people have something to attract me and something that I can relate to, even if that thing I like at this point, for instance, is Isaacs' Emmy-worth mustache twirling. 

Burnam is just kind of...there. Look at the season. Beyond "Binary," I don't feel like she's personally driving anything that's happening on the show. The story isn't really being told from her point of view. For me, at least. 

14 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I don't dislike her at all, but I don't LIKE her, either. She really hasn't given me a lot of reason to. Lorca? Tilly? Stamets? These people have spark. These people have something to attract me and something that I can relate to, even if that thing I like at this point, for instance, is Isaacs' Emmy-worth mustache twirling. 

Burnam is just kind of...there. Look at the season. Beyond "Binary," I don't feel like she's personally driving anything that's happening on the show. The story isn't really being told from her point of view. For me, at least. 

I like her a little more than that, but I don’t think she’s the center of the show.  Nor would I say she’s one of my personal favorites.   She’s a solid character; a Riker.  But beyond that?  I wish the show would just let her comfortably be part of an ensemble rather than continue to try to make us believe that DSC is ‘her’ story, rather than an ensemble.   DSC has become an ensemble, whether the powers-that-be like it or not.

52 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I wish the show would just let her comfortably be part of an ensemble rather than continue to try to make us believe that DSC is ‘her’ story, rather than an ensemble.   DSC has become an ensemble, whether the powers-that-be like it or not.

Pretty much this.

Burnam as the central character upon which everyone else revolves is, at this point, kinda like trying to make Mean Girls trying to make "fetch" happen.

They've shown is too much of a powerful ensemble at this point to realistically try to turn that into anything else.

13 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Pretty much this.

Burnam as the central character upon which everyone else revolves is, at this point, kinda like trying to make Mean Girls trying to make "fetch" happen.

They've shown is too much of a powerful ensemble at this point to realistically try to turn that into anything else.

^ This.

The ‘supporting’ characters are simply more interesting at times.   I don’t think it's anti-Burnham to acknowledge that, either.  I don’t want to be lumped in as a “Burnham-hater” because I’m not; I like her, and the actress (whom I’ve championed for a long time before the show actually debuted).  

I also like Jonathan Frakes’ Riker, but would I rather see “The Rikers on the USS Titan” versus Picard and his crew's adventures aboard the Enterprise?  Not necessarily.   

19 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don’t want to be lumped in as a “Burnham-hater” because I’m not; I like her, and the actress (whom I’ve championed for a long time before the show actually debuted).  

Me either.

I'm a Burnam "don't hate, but mostly indifferent."

That's not something I'd wanna base a show on.

I still hold on to a sliver of hope beyond all rationality that, somehow, prime Lorca's locked in a broom closet waiting for rescue. :)

2 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Me either.

I'm a Burnam "don't hate, but mostly indifferent."

That's not something I'd wanna base a show on.

I still hold on to a sliver of hope beyond all rationality that, somehow, prime Lorca's locked in a broom closet waiting for rescue. :)

^
Very much this!  Jason Isaacs is just so damn great that I can’t bear the thought of the show without him.   And prime Lorca would really be a whole new character for him to play; a win-win for an actor.

I talk to a LOT of Trekkies on a daily basis, and not ONE of them has EVER said to me "Michael Burnham is my favorite Discovery character, she's the best Trek character ever". She's liked in the fandom, sure, but ask someone "who's your favorite" and you get a LOT of names, but not Burnham. It's a "okay, Burnham is there, nice character, but I like this other character better" feeling that I sincerely hope the writers are picking up as well.

Burnham has been growing on me as she explores the human side of herself. She is in some of my favorite scenes in the show. Her entrance onto the bridge as captain was one of the most powerful scenes I've seen in ST. The bridge crew applauding a murder was absolutely chilling to me. I know other people found it funny but it sent chills down my spine.  Other characters are more clear cut. She's a subtle mystery that's slowly unfolding.  

Its strange to me but while many of the characters were more interesting to me, Burnham was the key, or one of the key characters in most of the scenes that I found most powerful. The exception being the scenes between Stamets and Culber which are powerful in a more intimate personal level. 

1 hour ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

I thought that this would be a good time to bring this topic back up, as the Season 1 finale is soon. A good time to vote for your favorites, if you haven't already.

It ain’t over till the finale sings... :P