Are there any canon Star Trek books, comics, or even video games? It's been my understanding that only the TV series and films are canon. I was hoping that the Star Trek: Discovery books and comics would be canon, but I feel like that's not so. Does anyone know if there are, or ever will be anything canon other than the TV series and films? I'm hoping that there is one day. A connected Star Trek universe that includes books, comics and video games, as well as the TV series and films, would be great.

6 hours ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Are there any canon Star Trek books, comics, or even video games? It's been my understanding that only the TV series and films are canon. I was hoping that the Star Trek: Discovery books and comics would be canon, but I feel like that's not so. Does anyone know if there are, or ever will be anything canon other than the TV series and films? I'm hoping that there is one day. A connected Star Trek universe that includes books, comics and video games, as well as the TV series and films, would be great.

The IDW Bad Robot comics series are supposedly canonical.   They were overseen by the producers of the movies (or at least Roberto Orci).   

I just read David Mack’s DSC novel “Desperate Hours” (a decent read) a few months ago, and I’m not even sure if it will be considered canon either.  If I had to guess, I’d say no. 

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The IDW Bad Robot comics series are supposedly canonical.   They were overseen by the producers of the movies (or at least Roberto Orci).   

I just read David Mack’s DSC novel “Desperate Hours” (a decent read) a few months ago, and I’m not even sure if it will be considered canon either.  If I had to guess, I’d say no. 

It's just odd to have so many books, comics and video games and to know that they aren't canon. It makes a difference, for me. Imagine if there was a huge universe of Star Trek books, comics, films, TV series and video games that were all connected. That'd be interesting. I know that it'd be difficult to do, but it'd be great to have other canon stories between seasons, TV series and films. It'll be a long wait from Season 1 to Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery after the Season 1 finale.

16 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It's just odd to have so many books, comics and video games and to know that they aren't canon. It makes a difference, for me. Imagine if there was a huge universe of Star Trek books, comics, films, TV series and video games that were all connected. That'd be interesting. I know that it'd be difficult to do, but it'd be great to have other canon stories between seasons, TV series and films. It'll be a long wait from Season 1 to Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery after the Season 1 finale.

Star Wars has a similar problem; so many books, comics and other tie-ins were produced that Disney officially wiped out in favor of their vision of the franchise.

This is where head-canon comes in; my personal philosophy is that if I enjoy a book or story, and it doesn’t really bump too awkwardly into any continuity walls, then I adopt it as head-canon.  And even if it does wrinkle continuity, I think of it as an alternate reality.   We know that ST is a fully functioning multiverse, so... why not? 

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Star Wars has a similar problem; so many books, comics and other tie-ins were produced that Disney officially wiped out in favor of their vision of the franchise.

This is where head-canon comes in; my personal philosophy is that if I enjoy a show, and it doesn’t really bump too harshly into any continuity walls, then I adopt it as head-canon.  And even if it does wrinkle continuity, I think of it as an alternate reality.   We know that ST is a fully functioning multiverse, so... why not? 

Yeah, I'd rather keep all of the TV series and films canon than to have it be restarted.

You have a good point, the alternate realities and parallel universes of Star Trek could be the way to explain all of the books, comics and video games. They should, at least, say that. That's why Star Trek: Discovery is a mystery, as well. The possibilities in the franchise are many. I like to stop and think sometimes, how great it is to have a Star Trek television series airing, again.

In my opinion the nine Shatnerverse books are canonical because they were co-written by Wiliam Shatner.

13708160_10210032637911698_3991792639769

Peter David's NEW FRONTIER series are also canon in my list, but that just me.

The 1997 STARFLEET ACADEMY game for Interplay is also canon to me since it features live action storyline starring William Shatner as Kirk, Walter Koenig as Chekov and George Takei in a special appearance as Captain Sulu (see the videos below) in a circa-STAR TREK VI storyline co-written by Diane Carey no less ! Wonderful score by Ron Jones and its good to see Shatner in the 1701-A bridge again ! Highly recommended as a game and as a DVD entertaiment (I have the entire game trasnfered to DVD) !

Thats my two cents.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Um.  No.

Never.   

Ever.

:P

“The Return” says that V’ger is from the same planet as The Borg.   That’s nonsense.  How could the Borg not be familiar with ‘carbon-based units’  when they themselves are partly biological?    Not to mention that the Borg (as seen in EVERY incarnation) would have no interest in assimilating a piece of ‘crude’ technology like a Voyager spacecraft, let alone sending it ‘home’ in a giant super-ship.    They’re only interesting in things that advance their species; either technologically or biologically.   Collecting a Voyager probe would be like collecting garbage from a river. 

And Shatner's books are all basically the same; “Captain Kirk saves everyone’s a$$es over and over again... The End.” 

Those books are less about the greater ST universe (and its characters) and more about giving Shatner’s ego a periodic tune-up.

Well the Voyager reboot novels are written by Kristen Beyer, who also wrote a Discovery episode. None of the books are considered canon, but really, who cares? It's not like they are going to make more TNG, Voyager, TOS, ENT or DS9 episodes so any novels based on those shows aren't going to step on anyone's toes. Find a writer you like and dive in. 

On 1/25/2018 at 11:49 PM, Enterprise Discovery said:

I don't know if this is still the case, but, with her being one of the creators of the series, there are a couple of Voyager novels written by Jeri Taylor that were cannon at one point. "Pathways" and then something else I don't remember

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

“The Return” says that V’ger is from the same planet as The Borg.   That’s nonsense.  How could the Borg not be familiar with ‘carbon-based units’  when they themselves are partly biological?    Not to mention that the Borg (as seen in EVERY incarnation) would have no interest in assimilating a piece of ‘crude’ technology like a Voyager spacecraft, let alone sending it ‘home’ in a giant super-ship.    They’re only interesting in things that advance their species; either technologically or biologically.   Collecting a Voyager probe would be like collecting garbage from a river. 

This. The Borg might have picked it up to catalog it as a curiosity, but that's it. No one would have been in a rush to get to where it came from so they could assimilate those there super advanced Humans.

Even if the Borg DID have the technology to build the ship, where's the relevance for them in building that ship for that old, dead satellite to acquire knowledge that spans the universe when:

A) They were already doing that.

B) They knew when they sent the ship away they were probably never going to see it again. So they are basically assimilating knowledge for other people.

Then there's the fact that V'ger could have chewed up and spit out the entire Collective. It was leaps and bounds more advanced.

Voyager Six was basically found orbiting Cybertron and the AIs there built the poor, bruised, lonely puppy a new home and sent him on his way.

I dunno whose idea that was to make V'ger and the Borg from the same place, but God, it's dumb.

And, yes, when Kirk comes out on top in a confrontation with Data? Ego stroking.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Well the Voyager reboot novels are written by Kristen Beyer, who also wrote a Discovery episode. None of the books are considered canon, but really, who cares? It's not like they are going to make more TNG, Voyager, TOS, ENT or DS9 episodes so any novels based on those shows aren't going to step on anyone's toes. Find a writer you like and dive in. 

This. As far as I'm concerned the Enterprise novels are cannon. From the realistic depiction of the Romulan War to their treatment of the crew, to the resurrection of Trip, they play out as seasons long arcs.

If you read something, and it feels right to you, call it something that "happened."

Gee...but....but...but.....its Bill Shatner novels (with the Reevens-Stevens lets be honest LOL)

The man is pure genius.

I really love THE ASHES OF EDEN, THE RETURN, PRESERVER and CAPTAINS GLORY.

You know......Shatner is......Shatner !

LOL

Gus

Ashes of Eden is passable, mainly because it's pretty grounded.

After that, they just became more and more superhero fantastic.

Cmon everybody love Bill nd his books !!!!

He is Kirk ! LOL Best captain ever ! The Priceline negociator ! TJ Hooker ! Denny Crane !!! LOL

Speaking of which, love when Bill gets the bad guys. Speaking of which, just watch this STARFLEET ACADEMY clip  and you will agree with me !

Gus

PS - I am being sarcastic. You know, humor .......its a difficult concept........its not logical..............

Edited by GustavoLeao

I thought he was terrific in “Free Enterprise”, too.  But his ST novels?  Not so much.  I gave up on those around the time he had Kirk and Picard going on vacation together... by that time, it was too much.   Honestly, if a fan wrote that instead of Shatner’s ghost writers?   It’d be dismissed as a bad Mary Sue offering. 

5 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Honestly, if a fan wrote that instead of Shatner’s ghost writers?   It’d be dismissed as a bad Mary Sue offering. 

This.

The gleeful humiliation of the author would have been fierce and protracted.

The only books that would be remotely considered canon are the episode novelizations like "Encounter at Farpoint," "Emissary," "Caretaker," "Descent," "Far Beyond the Starts," etc.  Even those get details wrong - for example, in the "Encounter at Farpoint" novelization, Data is characterized as an android built by aliens from the planet Kerron III with no mention of Dr. Noonien Soong. 

Star Trek books tend to offer a multiplicity of realities depending on the particular author's vision of specific events.  First contact between humans and Vulcans has been covered in "Strangers from the Sky," while humanity's first warp flight is told in different ways at least twice, in "Killing Time" (Kirk and Co. have to wipe out an altered timeline by stopping humanoid robots sent to kill Zefram Cochrane) and "Federation," which offers a version of the warp flight and his subsequent disappearance that is more closely related to the "post-atomic horror" (it also has the first appearance of the biomechanoid Grigari species, which pop up again in the DS9 video game "The Fallen" and the DS9 "Millennium" trilogy, but that's another story altogether).  I just look at the books as a literary multiverse and roll with it :)

6 hours ago, Captain_Bravo said:

Even those get details wrong - for example, in the "Encounter at Farpoint" novelization, Data is characterized as an android built by aliens from the planet Kerron III with no mention of Dr. Noonien Soong. 

^
This sounds like Roddenberry’s idea for his Data ‘prototype’ in his 1974 TV movie “The Questor Tapes”, about a humanoid, emotionless android (on 20th century Earth) who is seeking his creator; turns out he was built by aliens to help out us poor dumb Earthlings.

6 hours ago, Captain_Bravo said:

First contact between humans and Vulcans has been covered in "Strangers from the Sky," while humanity's first warp flight is told in different ways at least twice, in "Killing Time" (Kirk and Co. have to wipe out an altered timeline by stopping humanoid robots sent to kill Zefram Cochrane) and "Federation," which offers a version of the warp flight and his subsequent disappearance that is more closely related to the "post-atomic horror" (it also has the first appearance of the biomechanoid Grigari species, which pop up again in the DS9 video game "The Fallen" and the DS9 "Millennium" trilogy, but that's another story altogether).  I just look at the books as a literary multiverse and roll with it :)

^
That’s kind of what I do; maybe these events did happen... in one possible Trek history.   It’s all fictional anyway, so I like to have fun with it.

And I love “Strangers in the Sky” and “Federation,” which was my head-canon until “First Contact” came out two years later; still have my tattered paperback and audiobook, read by Mark Lenard, no less (!).  

“Killing Time” sounds a LOT like “First Contact”, but I’ve never read it.   Perhaps I should... sounds really close.   Almost wonder if there wasn’t a lawsuit. 

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And I love “Strangers in the Sky” and “Federation,” which was my head-canon until “First Contact” came out two years later; still have my tattered paperback and audiobook, read by Mark Lenard, no less (!). 

Me too - "Federation" is sitting on my shelf in hardback, as well as on the original audio cassettes.  Now I just need to find my walkman :)

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

“Killing Time” sounds a LOT like “First Contact”, but I’ve never read it.   Perhaps I should... sounds really close.   Almost wonder if there wasn’t a lawsuit. 

It's pretty different - in it, the Romulans try to prevent the formation of the Federation, but end up creating a timeline where the Vulcans are the dominant force behind the Federation.  It's a unique book in that the original printed draft had a lot of Kirk/Spock slash fiction overtones, but Roddenberry immediately contacted Pocket Books and demanded revisions.  The original first edition of "Killing Time" is a collector's item as a result.

Not sure if mentioned but Jeri Taylor's Mosaic was referenced in the Star Trek Fact Files which seemed to make it canon in some respect -and I wonder if the same was true for her Pathways book. Never read anywhere if they are but figured being involved with the show as she was, there was a touch of canon to them. 

Shatner's, as much as I like the first four books, are in a world of their own. I think it was a shame there wasn't another Starfleet Academy book. 

51 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It seems that there are many different opinions about this. I just hope that Star Trek can have books and other media in its canon someday, much like Star Wars does.

It might do one day. Star Wars hurts. I have all these books, the X-Wing series, Zahn's books, Kevin J. Anderson's and Shadows, then Episode 7 comes along and wham, not canon anymore. With Trek, I didn't mind they weren't canon -yet when I wrote my stories, novels like Rogue Saucer, New Frontier etc, I always was conscious not to infringe upon or even wrapped into my stories as if they were canon. I used to treat New Frontier as canon, it was hailed in Star Trek Monthly as the 'fifth' Trek series, got a huge write up -coming as it did before ENTERPRISE.

1 hour ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It seems that there are many different opinions about this. I just hope that Star Trek can have books and other media in its canon someday, much like Star Wars does.

But even with Star Wars, what appears onscreen will always trump the printed page.   I suspect even their new Disney-sanctioned books will be contradicted someday by what’s onscreen (if they haven’t been already). This is why head canon is so comforting; for me, it’s all still there as alternate timelines/universes in my imagination.  ;)

10 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But even with Star Wars, what appears onscreen will always trump the printed page.   I suspect even their new Disney-sanctioned books will be contradicted someday by what’s onscreen (if they haven’t been already). This is why head canon is so comforting; for me, it’s all still there as alternate timelines/universes in my imagination.  ;)

That would be a way it would work for me. I'm more hopeful for official canon, but if they just announced that the books were canon, in their own universes, that would be enough for me, for past media. That'd be great.

1 hour ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

That would be a way it would work for me. I'm more hopeful for official canon, but if they just announced that the books were canon, in their own universes, that would be enough for me, for past media. That'd be great.

As Picard would say, "Make it so."  ;)