Sign in to follow this  
Enterprise Discovery

The Saru Topic (Spoilers Included)

Recommended Posts

As said, this topic will include spoilers. It is to include various discussions about the character Saru.

Considering the latest episode of Star Trek: Discovery, what do you think of Saru likely becoming the new leader of the USS Discovery? I think that Saru is a great character and would rather have both Saru and Lorca aboard the Discovery, however, that seems unlikely now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are jumping the gun on whether or not Lorca continues into season 2 in any capacity...he may do so, we won't know until the season comes to it's conclusion, which is still three episodes away. 

As to the topic of Saru...it could be interesting to see an alien, particularly such a unique creation as Saru, as the CAPTAIN on the show.  It would be a totally different kind of series if he were the captain of the ship. In a vast starfleet in an even vaster federation, we have rarely seen non-human Captains. I'm not even talking about the lead of te show, even in guest appearance, no humans have been rare. To quote Azetbur, it is nothing but a homo sapiens only club.  I think it could be n interesting dynamic to see Saru, someone who is possibly not quite ready, and has a totally different style to that of human Captains, particularly of the Mirror Captain he would be replacing.  While Lorca seems quite popular because of how different he is to previous Captains, I would argue Saru would be an even bigger leap and change of pace. 

If Saru were Captain the plot of the second season could possibly be about the ship facing some kind of adversary or difficulty that Saru must learn to come into his own as a Captain while facing.  Certainly that could be an interesting arc. I like Saru a lot, he needs more development for sure, but if he were to become Captain, that could very well be the thing to implement that development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Saru and am sorry that we haven't seen more of him.  I liked it that he found a way to get L'Rell to help Tyvoq; it seemed to me that he'd become more pragmatic while still keeping his compassion and values, and that bodes well for how he'd do as a captain.

I think it might be fun if Mirror Lorca wants to do something that Saru knows is totally wrong, and he commits mutiny to keep Lorca from doing whatever it is.  That would set him up to understand Burnham better and would also give Saru's character some development.

I'm not sure that either the character or the actor is ready to carry the captaincy, but he's an interesting character, for sure, and I'd love to see more of him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corylea said:

 

I think it might be fun if Mirror Lorca wants to do something that Saru knows is totally wrong, and he commits mutiny to keep Lorca from doing whatever it is.  That would set him up to understand Burnham better and would also give Saru's character some development.

I guess I’m splitting hairs, but is it really “mutiny” anymore since Lorca is an impostor?  Really, Saru should be in command now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Locutus said:

I guess I’m splitting hairs, but is it really “mutiny” anymore since Lorca is an impostor?  Really, Saru should be in command now.

Yes, quite true.  But Saru's been obeying this guy for awhile now, so it would still probably feel like mutiny, which is all I really need for the character development I'd like to see him undergo. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Locutus said:

I guess I’m splitting hairs, but is it really “mutiny” anymore since Lorca is an impostor?  Really, Saru should be in command now.

From the previews of next week’s episode, I think that is exactly what happens.  It would also explain why Saru rose to the leadership challenge last week; he seemed much more in control and authoritative for a change.   I like the character, so this was good to see.

That said?  I’ll miss Lorca...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Locutus said:

I guess I’m splitting hairs, but is it really “mutiny” anymore since Lorca is an impostor?  

Not at all.

It's no more a mutiny than when Spock brigged  Mirror Kirk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

From the previews of next week’s episode, I think that is exactly what happens.  It would also explain why Saru rose to the leadership challenge last week; he seemed much more in control and authoritative for a change.   I like the character, so this was good to see.

That said?  I’ll miss Lorca...

Yeah, with Lorca now shown to be from the mirror universe, I think that Season 2 will either end up with Saru, or Burnham taking the lead. So far, it looks like Saru.

Hopefully, Season 2 can have the prime Lorca, even if he has a new ship. If the Discovery crew find him and save him, or something, he can help them throughout their missions. Or, if he managed to survive in the mirror universe and/or he defeats the mirror Lorca, he can be promoted to Admiral, or something. With Star Trek, you don't really know. I'm sure many here remember how "The Best of Both Worlds" ended Season 3 of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The franchise tends to leave fans with discussions and theories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how this is a Saru topic and we’re back to talking about mostly Lorca already :laugh::laugh::laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I love how this is a Saru topic and we’re back to talking about mostly Lorca already :laugh::laugh::laugh: 

They are both possibly choices to lead the Discovery by the end of Season 1 and in Season 2, though a prime Lorca leading the ship is more likely than the mirror Lorca leading it, at this point.

I do think that Saru is a great character and hope that he gets show more of his skills in leading the crew in the next episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

From the previews of next week’s episode,

Damn, damn damn!  I never watch the previews of next week's episode, because I don't want the story to be spoiled. :ohmy:  :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

I love how this is a Saru topic and we’re back to talking about mostly Lorca already :laugh::laugh::laugh: 

No doubt you are tickled to no end. :)

 

But we have to go where the show mojo is. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

But we have to go where the show mojo is. :)

Jason Issacs has major mojo, oh, yeah! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the topic of whether or not Saru might take the center seat has everything to do with Lorca and what happens with that character, in any form, so it is unsurprising that he comes up here.  I can see a subtle arc for Saru hidden throughout this season of his command ability being tested and tried.  I wish there was more focus on it actually...and that could very well be just minor groundwork for where his character is to go.  There was plenty of groundwork in the slightly unever first half of the season for a ton of stuff that is now paying off and, for me, retroactively making me enjoy things that happened in the earlier part of the season (I was steadily enjoying the show, but this half has made me INTO it in a way I admittedly wasn't before)...so it isn't outside the realm of possibility that any minor hint at Saru and his leadership abilities being tested here and there were just some set up for his eventual taking command of the ship once Lorca is officially outed as a nasty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Corylea said:

Damn, damn damn!  I never watch the previews of next week's episode, because I don't want the story to be spoiled. :ohmy:  :(

 

Whooooooops!   My bad.   Very sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Corylea said:

Jason Issacs has major mojo, oh, yeah! :)

 

Definitely. Although I must add that IMO Doug Jones is super cute, and Saru also. Jones and Isaacs are totally different but both attractive, each in their own way. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Corylea said:

Yes, quite true.  But Saru's been obeying this guy for awhile now, so it would still probably feel like mutiny, which is all I really need for the character development I'd like to see him undergo. ;)

 

True true.  I love Doug Jones.  Just saw Shape of the Water last night. Yet another fantastic creature into which he breathed life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Locutus said:

True true.  I love Doug Jones.  Just saw Shape of the Water last night. Yet another fantastic creature into which he breathed life!

That movie worked on me like a spell...love it!  And yes, nice to see Jones getting long overdue recognition.   Like Andy Serkis, he’s a modern-day man of a thousand faces.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saru is so hawt!

(But seriously, he's a great character, Doug Jones is amazing and I can't wait for them to develop both Saru and the Kelpians.)

 

giphy-downsized (1).gif

Edited by Tupperfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was good to see Saru temporarily leading the Discovery, but I was hoping that he'd get promoted in the latest episode. If the prime Lorca doesn't return, which if he did, he would likely take command of another ship anyway, then I hope that the season finale officially sees Saru taking command of the Discovery.

Edited by Enterprise Discovery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It was good to see Saru temporarily leading the Discovery, but I was hoping that he'd get promoted in the latest episode. If the prime Lorca doesn't return, which if he did, he would likely take command of another ship anyway, then I hope that the season finale officially sees Saru taking command of the Discovery.

At first I thought he wasn’t ready, but the character is really growing into the role.  Doug Jones is phenomenal; and his name was one of the first things that excited me in the early PR for the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

At first I thought he wasn’t ready, but the character is really growing into the role.  Doug Jones is phenomenal; and his name was one of the first things that excited me in the early PR for the series.

He's one of the best characters of Star Trek: Discovery. I can't believe how fast he lost his command, as he was doing a great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this