Sign in to follow this  
Sehlat Vie

My attempt at a “Grand Unified Theory” of Star Trek’s continuity issues...

Some of you longtime members have read versions of this before, but I finally got around to putting all of my thoughts on the seeming disparities between the various Star Treks in one big blog post:  https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2018/01/17/the-issue-of-star-trek-and-its-continuity/

It was a labor o’ Trek love, and I sincerely hope you add your own thoughts to the discussion!

I've always liked this hypothesis. It fits in with what we know and explains many of the continuity issues. I've actually been more concerned with continuity within an series. 

I'd kind of like to see the Discovery escape from the mirror universe at the end of the season but take a 3 or 4 episodes to get back to their own universe. I'd love to see a Trials and Tribble-ations part 2 when they have to go to a star base in the original universe for a spare part and engage with two different ST series. That way fans can see that the original prime universe still exists. At the end, they find out that the spore drive is weakening the barriers between universes so it is never used that way ever again. 

Intriguing and well thought-through, rich with detail. Something like this would really work, including stepping through 60s style Trek on the way “home”. Then let CBS pick up Star Trek Continues (adding a few more episodes to round out the thirteen) for a “parallel” run with Discovery. 

8 hours ago, scenario said:

I've always liked this hypothesis. It fits in with what we know and explains many of the continuity issues. I've actually been more concerned with continuity within an series. 

I'd kind of like to see the Discovery escape from the mirror universe at the end of the season but take a 3 or 4 episodes to get back to their own universe. I'd love to see a Trials and Tribble-ations part 2 when they have to go to a star base in the original universe for a spare part and engage with two different ST series. That way fans can see that the original prime universe still exists. At the end, they find out that the spore drive is weakening the barriers between universes so it is never used that way ever again. 

I like that idea too, as an affectionate homage to the original.  And yes, to me it's obvious that the old unaltered prime timeline still exists (Spock Prime's presence in ST09 is proof of that already, as is the Defiant existing in Discovery).    ST is a multiverse.  Each time they go back in time, they return to a subtly corrupted future.  Even if they fail to notice it, some minor details will be off.   Observer effect...

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

Intriguing and well thought-through, rich with detail. Something like this would really work, including stepping through 60s style Trek on the way “home”. Then let CBS pick up Star Trek Continues (adding a few more episodes to round out the thirteen) for a “parallel” run with Discovery. 

First, thanks for the kind words.  I had to get it all down in a single blog post, so I can have a ready answer whenever I'm asked about how I reconcile ST's many continuity nits.  So much easier this way! :laugh:

Secondly, I sincerely wish that CBS would sanction STC.  But sanctioned or not, it's head canon to me anyway. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I always thought it worked. :) Still does. 

After that 11th episode, I now tend to think of TMP as the sequel to STC...:laugh:

13 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

After that 11th episode, I now tend to think of TMP as the sequel to STC...:laugh:

Haven’t seen it yet! Got some catching up to do. 

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Haven’t seen it yet! Got some catching up to do. 

Ooops! 

Hope me and my big virtual mouth didn't spoil anything! :laugh:

I don't mind the idea of time traveling causing subtle changes which keeps diluting the time line, even if only by a little bit. Thus - the constant differences every time they go backwards or do a show in that time. My issue with this is - Trek needs to say that is the case. Otherwise, it's just us as fans running defense for the laziness of writers that want to wade into a popular franchise but without any of the hard work that goes into research.

Sign in to follow this