Sign in to follow this  
Autocad

Vulcan nerve pinch

Saw this on Facebook, and it would make an interesting trivia question. Seems the 'nerve pinch'  was used more in the TOS, than all the other series combined. Come to think about it, I rarely see it used in TNG, or Voyager.  Anyway interesting tidbits about Star trek.....

I think that would make sense considering there are very few Vulcans in TNG. VOY? Yeah - I'm surprised Tuvok did not utilize it a bit more.

I always thought the Nerve Pinch was odd. It seemed like something only a touch telepath like Vulcans can do, but we've seen other non-Vulcans do it.

1 hour ago, The Founder said:

I think that would make sense considering there are very few Vulcans in TNG. VOY? Yeah - I'm surprised Tuvok did not utilize it a bit more.

I always thought the Nerve Pinch was odd. It seemed like something only a touch telepath like Vulcans can do, but we've seen other non-Vulcans do it.

When Leonard Nimoy made up the Vulcan neck pinch, he said that Vulcans emitted a "special energy" from their fingers -- possibly related, as you said, to telepathic energy -- which was what made it work.  Unfortunately, that never got actually written into a script, so we've seen humans learn how to do it.  I think the "special energy" idea makes it make a bit more sense, and I wish that had been preserved.

I'm surprised to see the fandom has settled on calling it the Vulcan NERVE pinch, since when it was used in TOS, it was used frequently enough in scripts that it was abbreviated "FSNP," for "Famous Spock NECK Pinch."  

Sign in to follow this