Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

Episode 1.11 "The Wolf Inside" Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, kenman said:

Annd with this episode, I have begun to love this series. It has found its footing as far as I am concerned...this is now a series.  This was a great episode, from the slow build up of what the Mirror Universe is making Burnham feel, to the long coming reveal of Tyler (which sure, a lot of us had figured out, but it was a nice roll out in my view), to that great ending....I loved this episode.  My favorite so far, and I look forward to sticking it out with this show. I am officially, 100% sold on it. 

Also to echo what was said above...that look on Lorca's face when the Emperor appeared...that all but confirmed my suspicions that he was a Mirror Lorca all along. It really did look like he was pleased with how things were progressing.  As if he knew this would happen to Burnham.  Things are still gonna be interesting!

There seem to be many hints that Lorca is from the mirror universe. I am still wondering why he took so long to jump into the mirror universe, if that was what he had planned on doing from the beginning.

So  my scenario, Mirror Stamets gets angry at Lorca for some reason. He doesn't kill him either because he doesn't like killing people or because he wants him out of the way but alive. Lorca disguises himself and uses a scottish accent so people won't think he's The Lorca. He hunts down our Stamets and finds out he's on Discovery working on the spore drive. (Ash said that the passwords were the same in both universes so he knew prime Lorca's password, giving him a starships captains access to Starfleet records.)  He could kill prime Lorca and take his place but that would leave him in command of the wrong ship. He lures the Buran into a trap so everyone is killed. This eliminates anyone who has been working closely with him for years. He has been reading Lorca's private log for a while so he has enough personal info to bluff his way through. Then he asks for a science ship rather than a exploratory ship because he doesn't want to explore for a while because of the trauma he just went through. He's got connections with several admirals so he ends up with the ship he wants. 

5 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

There seem to be many hints that Lorca is from the mirror universe. I am still wondering why he took so long to jump into the mirror universe, if that was what he had planned on doing from the beginning.

He took over a ship that was run by college students. He wanted warriors for the mirror universe. It took a while to train them to be killers.

So  my scenario, Mirror Stamets gets angry at Lorca for some reason. He doesn't kill him either because he doesn't like killing people or because he wants him out of the way but alive. Lorca disguises himself and uses a scottish accent so people won't think he's The Lorca. He hunts down our Stamets and finds out he's on Discovery working on the spore drive. (Ash said that the passwords were the same in both universes so he knew prime Lorca's password, giving him a starships captains access to Starfleet records.)  He could kill prime Lorca and take his place but that would leave him in command of the wrong ship. He lures the Buran into a trap so everyone is killed. This eliminates anyone who has been working closely with him for years. He has been reading Lorca's private log for a while so he has enough personal info to bluff his way through. Then he asks for a science ship rather than a exploratory ship because he doesn't want to explore for a while because of the trauma he just went through. He's got connections with several admirals so he ends up with the ship he wants. 

He took over a ship that was run by college students. He wanted warriors for the mirror universe. It took a while to train them to be killers.

Interesting theory. I'd rather he'd be from the prime universe, as a mirror Lorca would likely be an antagonist. There seem to be many things that could be hints toward the mirror universe theory being true, however, including him looking at windows (a mirror image sometimes) during the season, including his first appearance.

Couldn't he have transferred a new, more experienced crew to the ship, though?

Edited by Enterprise Discovery

2 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Interesting theory. I'd rather he'd be from the prime universe, as a mirror Lorca would likely be an antagonist. There seem to be many things that could be hints toward the mirror universe theory being true, however, including him looking at windows (a mirror image sometimes) during the season, including his first appearance.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lorca ends up being the big bad for the next few seasons. That way the actor isn't tied down for the entire season but is still on the show. It's a fairly common plot twist in show and in real life. 

5 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Couldn't he have transferred a new, more experienced crew to the ship, though?

It's a science vessel. If he want's fighter he'd have to find experience people who were both scientists in the right areas and fighters. Plus he'd probably be better off with a young crew he could train his way. Someone like Spock would see that he wasn't a product of Star Fleet academy. 

9 minutes ago, scenario said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Lorca ends up being the big bad for the next few seasons. That way the actor isn't tied down for the entire season but is still on the show. It's a fairly common plot twist in show and in real life. 

It's a science vessel. If he want's fighter he'd have to find experience people who were both scientists in the right areas and fighters. Plus he'd probably be better off with a young crew he could train his way. Someone like Spock would see that he wasn't a product of Star Fleet academy. 

There are many possibilities. It definitely makes for a lot of theories.

I know that, but if he was from the mirror universe, he could just bring a lot more experienced crew aboard who have combat experience, as it is during a time of war. There are security crew there. I think that it'd be understandable for him to bring more aboard and keep the science crew, as well. Also, if he was willing to destroy the Buran and its crew, why would he agree to let Mudd go so easily, not to mention sparing L'Rell when he escaped the Klingon ship with Tyler (Voq)?

Plus, it seems somewhat odd, if he is from the mirror universe, for him to want to return there to take over their Starfleet, instead of trying to take over the more peaceful one of the prime universe. It seems like it'd more difficult, to me.

There are many possibilities. It definitely makes for a lot of theories.

I know that, but if he was from the mirror universe, he could just bring a lot more experienced crew aboard who have combat experience, as it is during a time of war. There are security crew there. I think that it'd be understandable for him to bring more aboard and keep the science crew, as well. Also, if he was willing to destroy the Buran and its crew, why would he agree to let Mudd go so easily, not to mention sparing L'Rell when he escaped the Klingon ship with Tyler (Voq)?

The only thing he had with Mudd was the last trip through. He'd have enough to put him in jail but he'd also have a lot of paperwork and a lot of questions about why Mudd so easily took over the ship. I'm on the side that given an unlimited number of tries anyone with enough intelligence and a good memory could do it. But other people here don't believe that Mudd could have done it. If many of the fans don't believe that Mudd could have done it without help, would Starfleet admirals believe it?  You end up with a Starfleet Captain whose been acting strangely, who just went though a big trauma, who has an admiral whose on his case looking to take away his command, and who just allowed a common thief take over his ship. He could kill Mudd, but someone would report him. If he brings him back to Starfleet, he's going to have to answer a bunch of questions he doesn't want to answer. If he gives him into the hands of a person who is basically an organized crime lord, Mudd will probably end up dead within a few months. 

I don't know Trek history. When was the last war before this one? I'm under the impression it's been a while. There may not be that many experienced fighter. Also, I really think he'd rather have as few experienced officers who might notice how unusual his command style is as possible. 

L'Rell might be a useful prisoner. She was pretty high up in the Klingon's command at one point. She might have useful information. And of course he'd keep Tyler. Tyler's a loose cannon who could be used to kill someone if necessary and take the blame. 

5 minutes ago, scenario said:

The only thing he had with Mudd was the last trip through. He'd have enough to put him in jail but he'd also have a lot of paperwork and a lot of questions about why Mudd so easily took over the ship. I'm on the side that given an unlimited number of tries anyone with enough intelligence and a good memory could do it. But other people here don't believe that Mudd could have done it. If many of the fans don't believe that Mudd could have done it without help, would Starfleet admirals believe it?  You end up with a Starfleet Captain whose been acting strangely, who just went though a big trauma, who has an admiral whose on his case looking to take away his command, and who just allowed a common thief take over his ship. He could kill Mudd, but someone would report him. If he brings him back to Starfleet, he's going to have to answer a bunch of questions he doesn't want to answer. If he gives him into the hands of a person who is basically an organized crime lord, Mudd will probably end up dead within a few months. 

I don't know Trek history. When was the last war before this one? I'm under the impression it's been a while. There may not be that many experienced fighter. Also, I really think he'd rather have as few experienced officers who might notice how unusual his command style is as possible. 

L'Rell might be a useful prisoner. She was pretty high up in the Klingon's command at one point. She might have useful information. And of course he'd keep Tyler. Tyler's a loose cannon who could be used to kill someone if necessary and take the blame. 

That's true, but he also left Mudd behind instead of shooting him, which Tyler probably would've been okay with and I meant before L'Rell was a prisoner. While aboard the same ship that he met Mudd, he shot at her, which wounded her face, but he left her behind, even though Tyler was trying to get revenge at the time. Even if he is from the mirror universe, if he's okay with destroying the Buran, why would he leave Mudd and L'Rell behind?

Also, I believe that Star Trek: The Next Generation mentions a conflict that had ended a year prior to Star Trek: Discovery's beginning.

It's interesting how many different explanations there are that support each side of this theory. I don't fully agree with either side right now, as clearly it could go either way.

7 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

That's true, but he also left Mudd behind instead of shooting him, which Tyler probably would've been okay with and I mean before she was a prisoner. The same ship that he met Mudd, he shot at her, which wounded her face, but he left her behind, even though Tyler was trying to get revenge at the time. Even if he is from the mirror universe, if he's okay with destroying the Buran, why would he leave Mudd and L'Rell behind?

Also, I believe that Star Trek: The Next Generation mentions a conflict that had ended a year prior to Star Trek: Discovery's beginning.

He left Mudd behind to be beaten to death by the Klingons rather than giving him a nice easy, clean, painless death. Not as good as an agonizer but not bad. He didn't kill anyone that he could not justify killing before a Starfleet inquiry. Killing a helpless L'Rell would look like revenge if Starfleet somehow found out. Letting her live was less risky. If they grabbed Tyler for questioning, Starfleet would know that he killed a helpless enemy, not worth the risk. 

1 minute ago, scenario said:

He left Mudd behind to be beaten to death by the Klingons rather than giving him a nice easy, clean, painless death. Not as good as an agonizer but not bad. He didn't kill anyone that he could not justify killing before a Starfleet inquiry. Killing a helpless L'Rell would look like revenge if Starfleet somehow found out. Letting her live was less risky. If they grabbed Tyler for questioning, Starfleet would know that he killed a helpless enemy, not worth the risk. 

Possibly, but there was nothing stopping him from letting Tyler go after her, instead of escaping. The mirror Lorca theory seems to be more likely, provided the different points that we've discussed, but I'm hoping that it doesn't end up being so, as Lorca is an interesting character and it'd be a shame to see him leave the Discovery, or even the series.

Possibly, but there was nothing stopping him from letting Tyler go after her, instead of escaping. The mirror Lorca theory seems to be more likely, provided the different points that we've discussed, but I'm hoping that it doesn't end up being so, as Lorca is an interesting character and it'd be a shame to see him leave the Discovery, or even the series.

They had a whole bunch of Klingons chasing them. Stopping to allow Tyler killer her might cost them a minute or two they needed. They ended up beaming over to the Discovery seconds before their escape ship was destroyed.

And I agree that I'd much rather that Lorca stay on the show. I like characters in the grey area.He's a really interesting character. Maybe he didn't destroy his ship but just took advantage when someone else did, so he really didn't do anything so wrong that he couldn't stay as the captain. 

Just now, scenario said:

They had a whole bunch of Klingons chasing them. Stopping to allow Tyler killer her might cost them a minute or two they needed. They ended up beaming over to the Discovery seconds before their escape ship was destroyed.

And I agree that I'd much rather that Lorca stay on the show. I like characters in the grey area.He's a really interesting character. Maybe he didn't destroy his ship but just took advantage when someone else did, so he really didn't do anything so wrong that he couldn't stay as the captain. 

So many points and points to argue against points. It's great that it is getting this much discussion.

It still seems like it'd be easier to take control of the prime universe Starfleet, considering that Lorca has the spore drive. He'd have to have his crew's support, but other than that, it might be easier than to take over in the mirror universe, as he likely won't have the prime universe Discovery crew's support. It's a lot of planning and a huge risk to him if it doesn't work. If he is from the mirror universe, then he is highly intelligent, memorizing Starfleet regulations and knowing the prime universe's history.

We'll see what happens.

12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Good, entertaining episode, though I’d be lying if I didn’t have some issues with it.  

MY BIG, FAT, HAIRY, SPOILER-FILLED BLOG ENTRY:

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2018/01/14/star-trek-discovery-1-11-the-wolf-inside/

At any rate, I enjoyed it more than its flaws irritated me.

Answering your flaws.

1) With the internet, it's really difficult to keep a good plot twist secret. There are millions of people watching and rewatching each episode. If the writers leave clues, someone will probably pick up on them. If they don't leave clues, the surprise comes out of nowhere. Plus, it really doesn't matter if it is a surprise to the audience, if it is a surprise to the characters. 

2) Does a mirror universe phaser have a stun setting? Also, she was kind of in shock at that point. She is not normally a violent person and she didn't want to shoot her lifeline to sanity. She didn't expect him to really attack her. 

3) I don't expect redemption. It just wouldn't be ST for one of the characters to kill Tyler in cold blood. He has to die but not as an execution by the good guys. 

Hey, I'm on top of this one, already written up my blog review! Guess when I am excited about an episode, that'll happen!

https://honeyfuggletrek.blogspot.com/2018/01/son-of-none.html

26 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Good, entertaining episode, though I’d be lying if I didn’t have some issues with it.  

MY BIG, FAT, HAIRY, SPOILER-FILLED BLOG ENTRY:

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2018/01/14/star-trek-discovery-1-11-the-wolf-inside/

At any rate, I enjoyed it more than its flaws irritated me.

In terms of Burnham being the same that didn't hesitate in giving the Vulcan nerve pinch...I think they've done quite the job of showing how much she is no longer that person.  That is a day full of regret, and when faced with the betrayal of someone she has become incredibly close to, I don't find that moment to be played too poorly.  And as to Tyler's survival...he needed to survive for two reasons in my view, his survival shows that Burnham has not lost herself in her Mirror guise, and that these ARE the good guys. Plus he was a clever vessel for getting the info on the Defiant TO the Discovery, in a way that would not set off alarm bells for the Terrans. 

And I think the ending with Stamets jerking back to life a bit, and meeting his Mirror Version in his mind made it pretty clear that he isn't going anywhere. 

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Hey, I'm on top of this one, already written up my blog review! Guess when I am excited about an episode, that'll happen!

https://honeyfuggletrek.blogspot.com/2018/01/son-of-none.html

In terms of Burnham being the same that didn't hesitate in giving the Vulcan nerve pinch...I think they've done quite the job of showing how much she is no longer that person.  That is a day full of regret, and when faced with the betrayal of someone she has become incredibly close to, I don't find that moment to be played too poorly.  And as to Tyler's survival...he needed to survive for two reasons in my view, his survival shows that Burnham has not lost herself in her Mirror guise, and that these ARE the good guys. Plus he was a clever vessel for getting the info on the Defiant TO the Discovery, in a way that would not set off alarm bells for the Terrans. 

And I think the ending with Stamets jerking back to life a bit, and meeting his Mirror Version in his mind made it pretty clear that he isn't going anywhere. 

I just thought that seeing the the heroine with a gun, walking backward as an UNARMED opponent advances and eventually takes her weapon was just too cliche.  Even without a stun setting, a lower setting might've injured or maimed him enough to prevent or halt his advance.  

As for the series reflecting she's no longer violent or someone who kills out of necessity?  The dead former captain of the ISS Enterprise in the turblolift might beg to differ...if he could.   The walking backwards-disarmed move was an ancient "Police Woman"-era TV trope, and a bad one.  I was physically groaning aloud as it happened.

And frankly I couldn't care less if Tyler/Voq lives or dies anymore; he's a cold-blooded murderer of an important and sympathetic character.  He's lost access to my sympathy.

As for Stamets?  I hope that his communion with his mirror self bodes well for the character, but I'm still a bit upset that Culber is just...dead. I was kind of hoping with last week's mention of the spores and life (can't recall the exact words) that they'd pull a Genesis planet resurrection on him somehow, but nope.  And they REALLY have to watch the dying diverse crew members; it's looking like an unfortunate pattern at this point.  

Besides, this show isn't the Walking Dead. 

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I just thought that seeing the the heroine with a gun, walking backward as an UNARMED opponent advances and eventually takes her weapon was just too cliche.  Even without a stun setting, a lower setting might've injured or maimed him enough to prevent or halt his advance.  

As for the series reflecting she's no longer violent or someone who kills out of necessity?  The dead former captain of the ISS Enterprise in the turblolift might beg to differ...if he could.   The walking backwards-disarmed move was an ancient "Police Woman"-era TV trope, and a bad one.  I was physically groaning aloud as it happened.

And frankly I couldn't care less if Tyler/Voq lives or dies anymore; he's a cold-blooded murderer of an important and sympathetic character.  He's lost access to my sympathy.

As for Stamets?  I hope that his communion with his mirror self bodes well for the character, but I'm still a bit upset that Culber is just...dead. I was kind of hoping with last week's mention of the spores and life (can't recall the exact words) that they'd pull a Genesis planet resurrection on him somehow, but nope.  And they REALLY have to watch the dying diverse crew members; it's looking like an unfortunate pattern at this point.  

Besides, this show isn't the Walking Dead. 

I don’t need Tyler to live either, but I like that in spite of everything, a Star trek crew isn’t gonna just kill him. They want due process. If they just kill all bad guys then what makes them better? As for the guy in the Turbo Lift, sure, but she seemed immediately to regret that it happened, she also wasn’t nearly as close with even the Prime counterpart. She fell in love with Ash Tyler, and now he is revealing he is not who he is...that would be a huge shock. 

As for diverse members, I definitely see this point. They have to watch it. But that said, if they wanted to be able to have characters die off (to add extra tension and a sense that no one is safe like old Trek) they just happen to have a fairly diverse crew...they could stand to kill a few more straight white people, but thats like Tilly and Lorca. Maybe that redhead that barely talks. But I am certain that Stamets will live, and I have a feeling Culber WILL be resurrected. 

Okay, this episode didn't have enough Lorca. *pouts* I love how the agony booth apparently strengthens his southern accent. Hehe.

Aside from that... I also have a few issues with the episode, but all in all it's a solid 7/10 from me.

I'm having a thought now and it's probably a massively unpopular opinion: I wish they had set the entire show in the mirror universe from the beginning. Burnham suddenly works as a character, and the show makes me want to watch the next episode, like, NOW, instead of "meh, whenever".

3 minutes ago, kenman said:

I don’t need Tyler to live either, but I like that in spite of everything, a Star trek crew isn’t gonna just kill him. They want due process. If they just kill all bad guys then what makes them better? As for the guy in the Turbo Lift, sure, but she seemed immediately to regret that it happened, she also wasn’t nearly as close with even the Prime counterpart. She fell in love with Ash Tyler, and now he is revealing he is not who he is...that would be a huge shock. 

As for diverse members, I definitely see this point. They have to watch it. But that said, if they wanted to be able to have characters die off (to add extra tension and a sense that no one is safe like old Trek) they just happen to have a fairly diverse crew...they could stand to kill a few more straight white people, but thats like Tilly and Lorca. Maybe that redhead that barely talks. But I am certain that Stamets will live, and I have a feeling Culber WILL be resurrected. 

On your last point, I sincerely hope so. 

As for Tyler/Voq and Burnham?  It was just such a cliche, seeing her walk backward, phaser pointed...but not firing so that he could just grab it.  It felt dumb and cliched.  Burnham didn’t need ‘rescuing’ by slave-Saru.   That was a trope right out of ‘70s cops shows, where the female cop always needs the guy to ‘save’ them...

23 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm having a thought now and it's probably a massively unpopular opinion: I wish they had set the entire show in the mirror universe from the beginning. Burnham suddenly works as a character, and the show makes me want to watch the next episode, like, NOW, instead of "meh, whenever".

That's where I am at this point.

I mean, I'm still open to being "convinced" that a reboot back to the DSC Primeverse or the TOS Primeverse (as I am increasingly convinced that they are two different places) is a good idea, but damn...this show is firing on all cylinders here in the MU.

I dare say almost EVERYONE works...or works better here.

25 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

As for Tyler/Voq and Burnham?  It was just such a cliche, seeing her walk backward, phaser pointed...but not firing so that he could just grab it.  It felt dumb and cliched.  Burnham didn’t need ‘rescuing’ by slave-Saru.   That was a trope right out of ‘70s cops shows, where the female cop always needs the guy to ‘save’ them...

This.

In my head, I was just, "shoot him, shoot him, shoot him." It's utterly stupid to think that, on any level, he wasn't fully prepared to or going to kill her.

Her link to sanity was already gone.

Watching him in the booth for a few days after learning what he did to Culber would have helped her sort out her fee-fees.

Is that a "bad guy" thing to do? Maybe. But sometimes it's warranted, and sometimes good guys get pushed to bad things. I mean, I don't think it's really a "good guy" move to General Order 24 Eminiar VII...but it was justifiable.

And, yes, Voqler can die horribly.

15 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

That's where I am at this point.

I mean, I'm still open to being "convinced" that a reboot back to the DSC Primeverse or the TOS Primeverse (as I am increasingly convinced that they are two different places) is a good idea, but damn...this show is firing on all cylinders here in the MU.

I dare say almost EVERYONE works...or works better here.

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The characters all fit in so much better and Burnham is getting accustomed to her new job, and it suits her. I dunno. She fits much better into the Mirror Universe. I doubt this was ever the intention of the writers, but so many people are suddenly liking the show much better (and Burnham, too), so this really is having a big impact on it all.

But isn’t Trek meant to try not to just destory antagonists, but find an understanding with them? Voq/Tyler is clearly a bad dude...I wish him no good feelings, but I do hope that this show can manage the trick of finding an ending that isn’t just killing him off, it would be great for Trek is they did something more humane, imprisoning him makes more sense to me...use his betrayal dramatically to show how Starfleet IS better. He would rather die a martyr? Keep him alive in a prison for years. He gets a punishment that is more impactful than death that way. 

That was one if my few issues I actually had with Beyond, the antagonist just dies, I’m pleased to see this show taking a different path, and they used his survival for something important, to get the Defiant info to Saru. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The characters all fit in so much better and Burnham is getting accustomed to her new job, and it suits her. I dunno. She fits much better into the Mirror Universe. I doubt this was ever the intention of the writers, but so many people are suddenly liking the show much better (and Burnham, too), so this really is having a big impact on it all.

Honestly, I bet it's sort of shocking them now as they just begin to break down S2.

Public perception of the mirror arc really has to be emphasizing every misstep in what came before.

4 minutes ago, kenman said:

He would rather die a martyr?

But he won't die a martyr. To himself, maybe, but, what good is that?

The Klingons of his universe are unlikely to be giving a second thought to The Torchbearer at this point, much less martyring him.

They happily dumped him for a good meal.

Edited by prometheus59650

Ok my thoughts after 2nd viewing.

- Based on the look on Lorca's face upon seeing his empress.........he's actually working FOR her. She spared his life after his attempt, convinced him to join her and infiltrate the prime universe for an unknown reason (spore drive.)  Seriously, the look on his face was that of "oh my god she's here, my queen is here and shit is about to go down."

- Burnam in her lingerie at the beginning.........hot

- Burnam's narration at the beginning, spot on, great writing.

7 minutes ago, Comiskeybum said:

Based on the look on Lorca's face upon seeing his empress.........he's actually working FOR her. She spared his life after his attempt, convinced him to join her and infiltrate the prime universe for an unknown reason (spore drive.)

Perfect sense.

Literally infinite universes to invade, conquer, and exploit.

Except for the one where it was a Borg cube that detected Cochrane's warp jump. Good luck with that one.

Isaacs HAS to stay on in some form. At this point, he's almost a better actor and Lorca a better character than the show deserves.

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

Perfect sense.

Literally infinite universes to invade, conquer, and exploit.

Except for the one where it was a Borg cube that detected Cochrane's warp jump. Good luck with that one.

Isaacs HAS to stay on in some form. At this point, he's almost a better actor and Lorca a better character than the show deserves.

HE will, but he wont be captain of Discovery.  Maybe he'll be emperor after all. Maybe he'll retreat back into the prime universe .  Maybe he'll jump and team up with Nero and reboot all of the Trek universe's simultaneously.  (LOL)