Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

Episode 1.10 “Despite Yourself” Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, Locutus said:

I for one think this kind of on-screen exposition as to why Star Trek: Discovery's ships looks more sophisticated than the TOS Enterprise does far more harm than good.  Fans accepted altered Klingons for decades.  I found the augment virus story line fun and entertaining, but I detest the fact that it has created this precedent for having to explain every change in visual style.  

As for Discovery, they have a lot of complicated drama and story lines that need to be resolved in the next 5 hours of television.  I don't want them wasting their time bending over backward to appease fans who can't accept the update visual style.  It's a waste of breath.  

I agree with scenario and Locutus's point here. While I don't think that we need much in the way of dialogue explaining the TOS aesthetic, I do think that the the writers need to turn the responsibility of this question off them and onto us, the fans. Fans who are bugged by the tech need to answer this question: What is the in-universe reason or proof that a TOS console is less advanced than as DSC console? "Because it looks like it was designed in the 60s" is not an in-universe explanation.

I would be satisfied with a stroll through a Constitution class in a DSC episode if they just polished the sets up a bit as Sehlat suggests but otherwise ignored the apparent discrepancy. If the in universe characters don't see a discrepancy then from a canon perspective there won't be any discrepancy. Leave to the fans to imagine their own Starfleet design decisions, and just go with it.  

Also, as we get more DSC episodes we will get more little discrepancies. The use of the mirror in the last episode was pretty fancy. But I like all that stuff, and it's necessary for telling a sci fi story in the modern era. You need gadgets that look cool TODAY, just like TOS had tech that looked cool then, like communicators and talking computers and hyposprays. And so far, much of this can be explained away by saying that maybe Kirk just did not like hologram displays. And if that fails, just try not to think about it too much.   

To split up the DSC family from the TOS family of characters (and they are actually family through Sarek, but in lots of other ways, for example I like to think Burnahm and Kirk would get along great on a mission together) to block that possibility in your imagination just because of the tech, unnecessarily impoverishes your own personal Trek universe. Just go with it!     

Edited by Justin Snead

38 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Did anyone notice that Culber pops in memory card TOS style to show Tyler his test results?

I actually did not.

Nice nod.

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

Did anyone notice that Culber pops in memory card TOS style to show Tyler his test results?

Good catch!  

On 1/11/2018 at 4:53 PM, Locutus said:

I for one think this kind of on-screen exposition as to why Star Trek: Discovery's ships looks more sophisticated than the TOS Enterprise does far more harm than good.  Fans accepted altered Klingons for decades.  I found the augment virus story line fun and entertaining, but I detest the fact that it has created this precedent for having to explain every change in visual style.  

As for Discovery, they have a lot of complicated drama and story lines that need to be resolved in the next 5 hours of television.  I don't want them wasting their time bending over backward to appease fans who can't accept the update visual style.  It's a waste of breath.  

When I was a kid, they used to just replace actors without any explanation or you'd hear, "The part of Captain  Lorca will now be played by..." and then it was never mentioned again. Sometimes it worked and sometimes the ratings plummeted and the show failed. I just don't like making major changes without any sort of explanation. I'd be happy with Worf's explanation of the new look Klingon's "Its a long story." Essentially it says to the fans we know, we know, just live with the new cooler makeup. 

Finally watched the episode last night (busy week and sick wife) and enjoyed it more than I expected to.  Mary Wiseman really shined in her Captain Tilly guise and the fate of Ash, the Doc and Stammets will keep me glued to the screen for future episodes.