Sign in to follow this  
Sehlat Vie

Deep Space Nine turns 25

January 3rd, 2018 will mark the silver anniversary of “Deep Space Nine”; one of my favorite incarnations of Star Trek, as well as one of my favorite science fiction series of all time.  

cast_emissary.jpg

I decided to celebrate a few days early on my blog: https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/12/31/deep-space-nine-celebrates-its-silver-or-latinum-anniversary/

leave_behind_508.jpg

Share your DS9 silver anniversary memories here... and let the ale and kanar flow!

It was the best Trek series when it aired and it still is. It holds up wonderfully on the strength of its characters.

It is the series that the Roddenberry responsible for TOS would have followed up with.

And the end of "The Visitor still makes me weepy.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

It was the best Trek series when it aired and it still is. It holds up wonderfully on the strength of its characters.

It is the series that the Roddenberry responsible for TOS would have followed up with.

And the end of "The Visitor still makes me weepy.

That one really opens the floodgates!

I'm still in a bit of shock that it's been 25 years (!).  Doesn't seem so long, and yet it does.

Wow ... time really flies. The t.v. show that got me into Star Trek as a whole.

What I find incredible about it is ... this show still holds up well. Minus season 1's odd acting. The themes are still relevant. The questions raised still makes one ponder. The relationships and arcs are still so organic and work well. Unlike other shows/movies that are heavily dated or ask questions that have largely been solved.

DS9 is not only great Trek, but amazing story telling as a whole.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I know they'll never happen, but that article brought two recurring thoughts into my pea brain:

DS9 on blu ray (duh) and... reunion miniseries on CBS-AA. :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I know they'll never happen, but that article brought two recurring thoughts into my pea brain:

DS9 on blu ray (duh) and... reunion miniseries on CBS-AA. :thumbup:

Both.

Or either. :)

3 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Both.

Or either. :)

It is its own beginning; its own ending...

Sorry, I was channeling the Guardian for a second. :P

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It is its own beginning; its own ending...

Sorry, I was channeling the Guardian for a second. :P

LOL..

And I always thought DS9 needed another 4-6 episodes to properly close it out. 

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

LOL..

And I always thought DS9 needed another 4-6 episodes to properly close it out. 

I think it’s the only ST series to end on a near-literal cliffhanger (the Emissary’s disappearance).

Ah, 25 years, and with TNG being 30 just a few months back, DS9 was the strange edgy stepchild. It is only fitting that the fan film I've been working on for years, will likely be completed this year before summer's end, and that the ship leaves from Deep Space Nine, not the new book version, the station from 25 years ago. Heh. But in those cast pictures, they still look good! Wow. 

Met some of them  in the 1990s during conventions, and in the 2000s. The last DS9 cast member I met was Chase at this little know Bay Con thing about 5 years ago.

I'd like to think they are working on porting this (DS9 coming to bluray) to the special edition treatment like they did for TNG and TOS.

Edited by Chimera82405

59 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

'd like to think they are working on porting this (DS9 coming to bluray) to the special edition treatment like they did for TNG and TOS.

Sadly, nothing like that is happening now and likely won't for at least several years until CGI compositing technology gets cheaper.

It's still prohibitively expensive and TNG's timing was off when it came to releasing TNG on Blu so CBS got burned on the disc sales.

A nice detail in the article is where it mentions the rough release date for the DS9 documentary -- during the summer of this year.

16 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Variety : STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE at 25: Through the Wormhole With the Cast and Creators

http://variety.com/2018/tv/features/star-trek-ds9-25th-anniversary-interview-1202648047/

26230030_10215391748246107_6950585030392

Great photoshoot !

Gus

That's a terrific photo shoot.   :thumbup:

And agreeing with Prometheus; the women of DS9 have given the middle finger to the natural aging process we mere mortals must endure ... 

In terms of the blu-ray, or at least an HD version, keep the faith.  The costs becomes easier with each passing day.  And the fact that some is being remastered for this doc is just an early step. Someday it will be remastered in HD, maybe for streaming at first...but eventually probably a blu-ray as a collectors item if anything.  I really think it is going to happen, just maybe not as soon as we'd like, and maybe not on blu-ray.