Sign in to follow this  
Justin Snead

The X-Files Season 11

New episodes start January 3 and I am excited.

I believe we get 10 episodes, which is a typical if a bit short TV season by today's standards, and four more than we got last season. 

The high quality of the stand alones in Season 10 make me especially excited for new ones. Ive been rewatching. There are elements of those that show the writers at the top of their game.  Home Again--about the Trash Man avenging homeless people--has a monologue about how we treat certain people just like trash, meaning we are good Samaritans by not littering and recycling but the point is to get trash out of our sight and make it someone else's problem, and we do this with actual people as well--and then to have Scully wonder if she did the same thing by sending William away. Babylon was awash in complex themes and complex storytelling techniques. And the waremonster ep was very good. If we get episodes like this in Season 11 we are in for a treat. 

Im less excited about the mythology, and I'm a BIG fan of mythology eps. Season 10 seemed to reboot the alien conspiracy as something more terresterial and based on human evildoers. I dont have a problem with this, per se, but it wasn't terribly interesting. By taking the aliens out of the equation, you lose a lot of grand mystery, awe and terror. And the two myth eps did not give us much information, so I'm hope the new myth eps fill out the story in a better way. We'll find out on the 3rd. I read a tweet by William B Davis that his character opens the season.     

Edited by Justin Snead

On 31.12.2017 at 2:17 AM, Justin Snead said:

New episodes start January 3 and I am excited.

I believe we get 10 episodes, which is a typical if a bit short TV season by today's standards, and four more than we got last season. 

The high quality of the stand alones in Season 10 make me especially excited for new ones. Ive been rewatching. There are elements of those that show the writers at the top of their game.  Home Again--about the Trash Man avenging homeless people--has a monologue about how we treat certain people just like trash, meaning we are good Samaritans by not littering and recycling but the point is to get trash out of our sight and make it someone else's problem, and we do this with actual people as well--and then to have Scully wonder if she did the same thing by sending William away. Babylon was awash in complex themes and complex storytelling techniques. And the waremonster ep was very good. If we get episodes like this in Season 11 we are in for a treat. 

Im less excited about the mythology, and I'm a BIG fan of mythology eps. Season 10 seemed to reboot the alien conspiracy as something more terresterial and based on human evildoers. I dont have a problem with this, per se, but it wasn't terribly interesting. By taking the aliens out of the equation, you lose a lot of grand mystery, awe and terror. And the two myth eps did not give us much information, so I'm hope the new myth eps fill out the story in a better way. We'll find out on the 3rd. I read a tweet by William B Davis that his character opens the season.     

Yessss!!! I'm very excited, too. (Hey, next month will see new Star Trek and new X-Files episodes... as if the good old 90s are back! :laugh:)

Like you, I very much enjoyed the standalones in the season 10 mini-series... well, I enjoyed all episodes, but the 3rd, 4th and 5th deserved it, too. The "Were-Monster" was huge fun, and even the controversial "Babylon" convinced me (IMO its comment on current social topics did work well). And "Home Again" was pretty strong, too... so with a 50% hit quota, this season was at least as good as the original seven seasons with Mulder and Scully, IMO.

The mythology didn't really thrill me anymore after season 4 or so, anyway, so I didn't expect the new ones to do that, either. However, the cliffhanger was really, really mean, despite all the other nonesense in this episode, so I would have been really annoyed if there had been no continuation ... so I'm really glad we'll get one now!

Ready to get back into the X-Files mood now ... :)

Just saw the premier. I loved it, and a lot more than I loved last seasons mythology episodes. Not only was the pacing excellent, the mythos stuff gelled in a way that it hasn't since early seasons. It was new and fresh and speaking to today's issues, while also locking in pretty well with established stories. [Im [[bracketing]] off the role of the aliens--need to think about them more--but I've made my peace with the idea that we just have to follow Carter's lead as he evolves his storyline, because we can't stay stuck or expect him to stay stuck in the clone/black oil/bees plot devices--the show must go on!] And it's not like they completely broke with the past. William, which in season 8-9 seemed like an ill advised plot twist, has consumed all later X-Files and they have been better for it. In the original run we were actually never told exactly how Scully came to be pregnant believe it or not--read my blog post about this. But today's Season 11 premier seamlessly retcons a season 7 episode called "En Ami" as the point at which Scully became inseminated. All the blather in season 8 and 9 about how William is the key, which at the time sounded like BS, now turns out to be very true. This is a brilliant development.         

All of it just felt so right, familiar yet fresh, which is not easy to pull off.  I can't wait for the rest of the season, and hold out hope it won't be the last.       

Sign in to follow this