Sign in to follow this  
Autocad

The more I watch TOS

The more I like it. Well, more of them.

Been thinking, how many 'alternate earths' have there been?

The Omega Glory, Bread and Circuses, Miri, and possibly Mirror MirrorA Piece of the Action, Patterns of Force, and The Paradise Syndrome.

The alternate earths are why I've always thought it should have been the second federation. The federation rose. Colonies settled. Federation collapsed in warfare. Space travel stopped for 500 years. Earth, Vulcan etc rebuild and start exploring again. Enterprise finds lost colonies that forgot that they were colonies and learned from old books. 

The whole parallel Earth thing was originally a budget-saving device thought up by Roddenberry so they could use studio backlots for things like 'Wild West' planet or 'Gladiator' planet. Then he went and wrote The Omega Glory, one of (IMHO) the worst TOS episodes. It's also weird how it gets mentioned at the beginning of Miri and then quickly forgotten. It works well as a storytelling device in A Piece of the Action and maybe Patterns of Force, though.

I wouldn't count Mirror Mirror as it's standard parallel universe, but that's just me. 

The in-universe explanation refers to it as Hodgkin's Law:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Hodgkin's_Law_of_Parallel_Planetary_Development

Miri was the episode that got me into Star Trek. I was 12 at the time, got my space fix from Lost in Space (at one time th most repeated show on Australian TV) and so was amazed during the preview of the concept of “another Earth”. Mind blowing idea! Yes, it was probably hanging a lantern on the fact that everyone spoke English and all of the reports and research they used to investigate the disease could be read etc.

The Omega Glory, for all of it faults, has at least one thing going for it: the lighting. Check it out next time you watch it. Very deep, rich shadows and backlighting make this a pleasure to view in HD. I wonder if this was deliberate inasmuch as Gene Roddenberry wrote it and decreed that it receive extra special attention. Or maybe it was because the Viewmaster people were there!

Pretty sure that for the Viewmaster reels, all they ever did was use the prints they were given. There was no special treatment. The exceptional lighting was probably just a directorial choice.

34 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Pretty sure that for the Viewmaster reels, all they ever did was use the prints they were given. There was no special treatment. The exceptional lighting was probably just a directorial choice.

I have to agree; there are a quite a few TOS episodes with exceptional lighting.   “All Our Yesterdays” comes to mind; as do “Mirror, Mirror” and “Bread and Circuses."  But there are many others.   I doubt that “Omega Glory” was given any special treatment for the benefit of Viewmaster. 

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I have to agree; there are a quite a few TOS episodes with exceptional lighting.   “All Our Yesterdays” comes to mind; as do “Mirror, Mirror” and “Bread and Circuses."  But there are many others.   I doubt that “Omega Glory” was given any special treatment for the benefit of Viewmaster. 

As one of the first color shows, it really ended up being a playground in a lot of ways.

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

As one of the first color shows, it really ended up being a playground in a lot of ways.

Even the walls of sickbay and the corridors were often bathed in gel lights.  While I know it was done for the effect of selling color TVs, it (unintentionally) gives the show a unique and almost surreal feeling at tiimes; a heightened reality uniquely its own.

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Even the walls of sickbay and the corridors were often bathed in gel lights.  While I know it was done for the effect of selling color TVs, it (unintentionally) gives the show a unique and almost surreal feeling at tiimes; a heightened reality uniquely its own.

And it's not something that truly hit me until the HD remasters. Maybe just because the film prints were more muted for standard TV back in the day or I just watched the show so much I didn't stop to notice, but the blus made it all almost new.

Same with TNG in a lot of ways.

And, just so no one forgets, I still want DS9 on blu-ray. :)

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

And it's not something that truly hit me until the HD remasters. Maybe just because the film prints were more muted for standard TV back in the day or I just watched the show so much I didn't stop to notice, but the blus made it all almost new.

Same with TNG in a lot of ways.

And, just so no one forgets, I still want DS9 on blu-ray. :)

This thread wouldn’t be complete without at least ONE plea for DS9 BR...:laugh:

And yes, I agree about the BRs of TOS and TNG (a bit more so on TNG; those were breathtaking); the remastered versions truly gave them new life.   TOS always looked a bit muted on TV, and TNG always looked faded and murky.   Now both pop off the screen with the clarity and color of feature films. 

16 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I will have to take another look at some of the episodes mentioned above. With regard to the Viewmaster, these were the days when they took a special camera to the set and photographed during the scenes (rehearsals or between takes). 

Straying quite off topic now but I've always thought that a tracking shot could be converted to 3D if there wasn't too much movement in the scene. The opening of The Ultimate Computer came to mind. Here's a quick version I did for red/cyan glasses and the same for the "cross eyed" method (cross your eyes and make Kirk's head line up in the "middle" image). I'll put these over in the general fan art section too. 

Ultimate Computer 3D2.jpg

Ultimate Ciomputer X eyed 3D.jpg

56 minutes ago, Autocad said:

The 3D effect is good, now where did I put those glasses?

I used a pair of red/blue 3D paper glasses I got with an old National Geographic magazine and they worked fine.

I’d imagine any pair of red/blue 3D glasses will work; you can probably get them on Ebay, Amazon or anywhere.

3139aU7z-3L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg