Chimera82405

The Disaster Artist actually makes bad films look good

Yesterday I saw the documentary film 'The Disaster Artist' based on the book of the making of 'The Room' from 2003, the infamous independent film from Tommy Wiseau. He's not Trek related, but he's kind of like a man from space. In the story, he plays an apartment dwelling social misfit who has girl troubles. The documentary comedy film goes into his this fan of film, who was apparently well to do, was able to finance and produce a film. It would have 14 year to break even, but he tried. Have any of you seen 'The Room'? The Disaster Artist ironically could get an Oscar. It's that good. The Room is wort of like if Andy Worhol, Ed Wood and David Bowie made a space clone and put him on Earth. Not to be confused the 'Room' from only a few years back.

2 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Yesterday I saw the documentary film 'The Disaster Artist' based on the book of the making of 'The Room' from 2003, the infamous independent film from Tommy Wiseau. He's not Trek related, but he's kind of like a man from space. In the story, he plays an apartment dwelling social misfit who has girl troubles. The documentary comedy film goes into his this fan of film, who was apparently well to do, was able to finance and produce a film. It would have 14 year to break even, but he tried. Have any of you seen 'The Room'? The Disaster Artist ironically could get an Oscar. It's that good. The Room is wort of like if Andy Worhol, Ed Wood and David Bowie made a space clone and put him on Earth. Not to be confused the 'Room' from only a few years back.

I moved this to the Hollywood Section, since it has no relevance whatsoever to Star Trek fan art, fan films or anything else Trek-related. 

And another amendment; “Disaster Artist” is not a documentary, it’s a docudrama.   A documentary would be if it were shot during actual production of “The Room.”   

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I moved this to the Hollywood Section, since it has no relevance whatsoever to Star Trek fan art, fan films or anything else Trek-related. 

And another amendment; “Disaster Artist” is not a documentary, it’s a docudrama.   A documentary would be if it were shot during actual production of “The Room.”   

This. I actually thought he was talking about a different movie.

"Not to be confused with "room" from a few years ago."

"A 2003 film"

"A documentary comedy" as it is not a documentary drama. It was clearly meant as a mock documentary comedy. This just came out in 2017.

Room, 2015, is a different film. Yes. Much different.

This does belong in the Hollywood section. It is also though an independent undertaking, but by a studio, so it's self reflexive and meta.

Thought it would appeal to fans of quirky stuff.

Having seen the Disaster Artist it is not remotely documentary or mockumentary style. It is a biopic if anything. 

15 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

This does belong in the Hollywood section. It is also though an independent undertaking, but by a studio, so it's self reflexive and meta.

Yes, but it’s not a ST-fan project in any way/shape/form.   The Fan Trek section is not a place for independent movies; only for Trek-related fan efforts

15 hours ago, kenman said:

Having seen the Disaster Artist it is not remotely documentary or mockumentary style. It is a biopic if anything. 

Yup, and a great one at that, for anybody fascinated with The Room (prior knowledge of the source material is definitely a must, or at the very least a strong asset). It's not as detailed as the book, of course, but James Franco's performance and the pain-staking recreation of The Room sets and scenes are pure candy.

Edited by Tupperfan

17 hours ago, kenman said:

How is it not? The audience I saw it with was laughing their butts off. Also, it was clearly not like the book, as they left a lot out. It was a comedic doc, and a biopic. Well, not autobiographic. It's more like a parody of a biopic.

Would this fit in Hollywood section? Maybe it doesn't fit at all.

But just imagine the horror of Tommy doing a Star Trek. "I did not hit the green lady person, I did not! Oh, Hi Spock."

46 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

How is it not? The audience I saw it with was laughing their butts off. Also, it was clearly not like the book, as they left a lot out. It was a comedic doc, and a biopic. Well, not autobiographic. It's more like a parody of a biopic.

Would this fit in Hollywood section? Maybe it doesn't fit at all.

But just imagine the horror of Tommy doing a Star Trek. "I did not hit the green lady person, I did not! Oh, Hi Spock."

Dude, you need to get your definition straight! It's not a documentary, or a mockumentary (à la This is Spinal Tap or The Office), where the fourth wall is broken or the camera is acknowledged, but a fictional depiction, using actors, and based on true events. And how can it be a parody of a biopic (although I don't totally agree with the biopic label, I'd label it as a biographical comedy-drama ;) ) when it actually chronicles an over-the-top but actually true story ? This is not Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, which was an actual parody. Also, a biopic is not autobiographic, as you seem to imply.

But in the end, you're tilting at windmills regarding semantics, the same way you're doing so arguing where this thread should be placed: The Room was an independent movie, but the Disaster Artist, which is supposed to be the subject of your thread, is not, being produced by New Line Cinema, among others. So yeah to Hollywood movie, and no to documentary.

Back to actually discussing the Disaster Artist, now? Short story: Go see it. And watch The Room first, if you can stomach it.

Documentaries are entirely non-fiction.  The Disaster Artist is an entirely fictionalized account of the making of the Room.  from what I understand it is also not even super accurate, because Wiseau had to sign off so maybe they had to diminish his weirdness or awfulness a bit. There is a clear distinction between documentary and fictional film.  And a mockumentary attempts to pretend it is a documentary, and despite the talking heads at the very opening of the film (a bit I felt was pointless to the movie that followed), it never really seemed to be trying to mimic the style of a documentary. 

9 minutes ago, kenman said:

Documentaries are entirely non-fiction.  The Disaster Artist is an entirely fictionalized account of the making of the Room.  from what I understand it is also not even super accurate, because Wiseau had to sign off so maybe they had to diminish his weirdness or awfulness a bit. There is a clear distinction between documentary and fictional film.  And a mockumentary attempts to pretend it is a documentary, and despite the talking heads at the very opening of the film (a bit I felt was pointless to the movie that followed), it never really seemed to be trying to mimic the style of a documentary. 

Much in the same way as Tim Burton’s brilliant "Ed Wood”; there were biographical elements, but by and large, it was a work of fiction.  “Ed Wood” was more of a loving homage than a strict, by-the-numbers biography.  I suspect “Disaster Artist” is something along those lines.

I still very much want to see it. 

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Much in the same way as Tim Burton’s brilliant "Ed Wood”; there were biographical elements, but by and large, it was a work of fiction.  “Ed Wood” was more of a loving homage than a strict, by-the-numbers biography.  I suspect “Disaster Artist” is something along those lines.

I still very much want to see it. 

It strays from the facts, but unlike Ed Wood which creates a sort of fantasy world, Disaster Artist doesn't really do that...it still attempts to take place within reality, just with fudged facts.  And some of that is okay, but I'd like to read (or possibly just do the audiobook) of the book of the same name, because I understand it gets into, or at least hints at more thoroughly, just what a weirdo Wiseau was.  The movie shows him as a weirdo, but never gets into some of the darker side of him, at least not enough.  Again I liked the movie, but I believe it was mostly for James Franco's performance.  Dave Franco's performance is rather lame to be honest. 

7 hours ago, kenman said:

It strays from the facts, but unlike Ed Wood which creates a sort of fantasy world, Disaster Artist doesn't really do that...it still attempts to take place within reality, just with fudged facts.  And some of that is okay, but I'd like to read (or possibly just do the audiobook) of the book of the same name, because I understand it gets into, or at least hints at more thoroughly, just what a weirdo Wiseau was.  The movie shows him as a weirdo, but never gets into some of the darker side of him, at least not enough.  Again I liked the movie, but I believe it was mostly for James Franco's performance.  Dave Franco's performance is rather lame to be honest. 

James Franco is an actor I've respected for a long time, despite the hate he tends to get off the internet.  I think he's an actor who gets better and better when he's challenged (case in point, "127 Hours").  When doing by-the-numbers action roles like SpiderMan, he delivers what's asked for and little more, but when given something more interesting?  He seems to really go for it.

I'll admit, most of the reason I want to see TDA is for his performance. 

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

James Franco is an actor I've respected for a long time, despite the hate he tends to get off the internet.  I think he's an actor who gets better and better when he's challenged (case in point, "127 Hours").  When doing by-the-numbers action roles like SpiderMan, he delivers what's asked for and little more, but when given something more interesting?  He seems to really go for it.

I'll admit, most of the reason I want to see TDA is for his performance. 

Then you wont be disappointed. The movie around him falls a tad short but the performance is great and elevates it. 

8 minutes ago, kenman said:

Then you wont be disappointed. The movie around him falls a tad short but the performance is great and elevates it. 

As a curious fan-not-fan of “The Room”, I look forward to that.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, prometheus59650 said:

I dunno, man. The Room was painful.

Actually I found this movie to be hilariously bad!, XD

Image result for the room gif

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

There’s always “Room” for more....:giggle:

Groan-related GIF

Like this:

giphy.gif.afcad52c397fd75b7fa7a29e9123363e.gif

:P

Edited by Tupperfan