Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

THE LAST JEDI - Movie discussion and critique

6 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:
Despite The Fan Backlash, Rian Johnson Wouldn't Change A Thing About STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson weighs in on all the hate, abuse, and death threats he's received after helming the divisive sequel and makes it clear that he wouldn't change a thing.

Fan Backlash ? What Fan Backlash ??? Geeeezuuzzzzzz, LOL

There's a problem here and that has to do with characterizing people who are critical of the movie as psycho fans by using words like "hate, abuse, and death threats". Not to be naive, people are bullies behind the safety of their keyboard. Actual abuse and death threats? Hmmm.....

This in turn runs the risk of alienating any critical thought about the movie. It is easily dismissed as 'crazy ramblings of diehard purist fans" or something like that. 

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

He's simply insufferably proud of the mess he's made.

Counterpoint, he is only insufferable because you didn't like it. If you had liked the movie his defense would seem admirable. 

6 minutes ago, kenman said:

Counterpoint, he is only insufferable because you didn't like it. If you had liked the movie his defense would seem admirable. 

And that’s a good point, but given the divisiveness the movie has caused in fandom, I’d say he’s not alone...

10 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And that’s a good point, but given the divisiveness the movie has caused in fandom, I’d say he’s not alone...

Not saying he is alone, but he is only insufferable to those that didn't like the movie is the point.  A good swath of folks DID like the movie. It seems fairly evenly divided, so if the anti-crowd are vocally against him and the film, I see no reason that he should not defend his own film if he stands behind it, which he clearly does. 

37 minutes ago, kenman said:

Not saying he is alone, but he is only insufferable to those that didn't like the movie is the point.  A good swath of folks DID like the movie. It seems fairly evenly divided, so if the anti-crowd are vocally against him and the film, I see no reason that he should not defend his own film if he stands behind it, which he clearly does. 

Let him.

That's his right. Just like I get to keep saying it sucks. I think he's wrong, he thinks I'm wrong, we're both wrong, and we're both right.

That's how this opinion thing works. 

So I'm just gonna keep calling his film the rancid pile that I think it is.

42 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Let him.

That's his right. Just like I get to keep saying it sucks. I think he's wrong, he thinks I'm wrong, we're both wrong, and we're both right.

That's how this opinion thing works. 

So I'm just gonna keep calling his film the rancid pile that I think it is.

I wouldn’t call it a rancid pile so much as just a big disappointment.

For me, it’s like the movie “Prometheus” (no relation to you, of course; hehe); I loved the look, the cinematography and other aspects.  But I hated the story, the characters and just about everything else.  I can’t quite bring myself to say I b@lls-out hate it, but I am nowhere near in love with it either.

The exact same feeling with TLJ.  I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s Attack of the Clones-bad (still my all-time least favorite SW movie) but it’s just so deeply disappointing.  I love the look of TLJ; it’s a gorgeous film.  Some of the location work and FX are simply amazing.  And it always gives me a bit of a rush hearing riffs of the music, and seeing those characters again (well, their faces if not their personalities, anyway...).

But so many of the choices made in the film, the characters acting out of character (Luke in particular) and the ultimate pointlessness of all it just left me feeling deeply disappointed.   I wanted so much MORE from it, but it just didn’t satisfy me on any emotional or storytelling level.  

But it’s too well-made (if not well-written) to dismiss as a total loss.  

Like “Prometheus" I’ll probably buy the video and just play it with the sound off...:laugh:

13 hours ago, kenman said:

Fair enough but that's not where a movie like this wants to be. This franchise is something that is practically universally adored. "Evenly divided" it ain't supposed to be. Certainly that's not what Disney is about. 

The movie just got pulled from China after just a two week run. Star Wars(and Star Trek) banks on our nostalgia with characters and a setting we grew up with. Eliminate that and all you have left to convince an audience is the story. See aforementioned China point. I guarantee you that's not what Disney wanted out of this movie. 

56 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

Fair enough but that's not where a movie like this wants to be. This franchise is something that is practically universally adored. "Evenly divided" it ain't supposed to be. Certainly that's not what Disney is about. 

The movie just got pulled from China after just a two week run. Star Wars(and Star Trek) banks on our nostalgia with characters and a setting we grew up with. Eliminate that and all you have left to convince an audience is the story. See aforementioned China point. I guarantee you that's not what Disney wanted out of this movie. 

This.

And I didn't even know China had yanked it, much less yanked it that fast.

14 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

Wow. The article reinforces my view on two points:

1) Why Abrams was brought back. He can wink and nod to what came before, while still creating an accessible film.

2) That Abrams is probably going to dustbin most of Johnson's work for the sequel just as Johnson put his in the dustbin for TLJ. 

17 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Wow. The article reinforces my view on two points:

1) Why Abrams was brought back. He can wink and nod to what came before, while still creating an accessible film.

2) That Abrams is probably going to dustbin most of Johnson's work for the sequel just as Johnson put his in the dustbin for TLJ. 

Disney has fired SW directors in mid-filming; so, firing Johnson before he does an entire new trilogy of mishaps is probably a good idea at this point.

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Johnson before he does an entire new trilogy of mishaps is probably a good idea at this point.

I would say so. I'd find it quite the bit of good news myself.

Sign in to follow this