Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

THE LAST JEDI - Movie discussion and critique

The excerpt from Kevin Smith is out of context, although it you're interested, he goes on for 90 minutes about TLJ on his home cast Smodcast Fatman of Batman show, and then with a 2 plus hour Q and A with Marc Bernard at the Scum and Villainy Cantina, also on Fatman on Batman. They are overlong reviews, but the fan reactions are all there, and there is a live audience of everyone, from people who liked it to people who hated it. He had nothing to do with part 8, so he could go on about what he liked and disliked. Also the aggregate YouTube personality I hate Movies did a very good rundown of the fan backlash, better than Red Letter Media did, where they were just snarky.

The middle movie of a trilogy has to be the darker, more hopeless chapter, so there will be redemption in the third.

Hammill is misquoted. He hadn't seen the movie when he commented, and later said something about it being not his vision, but an interesting and compelling one, given Luke is 30 years older and was isolated.

Rey could still have an interesting story without having secret parents who are important to the galaxy. Han Solo also was, and we did not know about his parents, and did not really care. They may retcon that in Solo. I hope not. He's much more interesting being a rogue from nowhere. Rey too is interesting just from that, and also, as I mentioned, this discovery is present in TFA! It is not a subversion. It just looks like one. She cane from Jakku, which is 'the junkyard' and nobody even addresses the force visions, probably put there by the sword, by Kylo and Snoke.

Luke being a hermit like angry old man does make more sense than making him the prime grand master of everything on some planet with his super powers everywhere. Some of the haters wanted him to be essentially a god. That would be boring. Not really a subversion.

Snoke was never that interesting, subversion or not, and suppose he wasn't really the guy who died in that throne room, but more of a force spirit out there, as he would not have let Rey and Kylo kill him.

Get this take, Luke is already dead when Rey arrives on the island, and is already a force spirit, but is able to still manipulate matter, because he's not all a ghost.

Rey sees only herself in the mirror, not her parents. The force created her? Ha. or Kylo is lying. He knows where is she from. Why then did he come to Jakku?

Canto Bight is not unnecessary if it is the place for telling not Finn's but Rose's back story.

I still say it is one of the best movies and is a fine addition to the series. It isn't a clone of the other films, and should not be.

Since the late Carrie Fisher was not expected to die after making the movie, the scenes where she almost does are not expectations, because with hindsight they seem tacky because Carrie died. They weren't intended to foreshadow that at all, and she was intended to be in episode 9. Not a subversion. There, no subversions.

Even though on my channels, Marx Cards loved it and I really liked it. I said that before.

Edited by Chimera82405

1 hour ago, Chimera82405 said:

The middle movie of a trilogy has to be the darker, more hopeless chapter, so there will be redemption in the third.

The darker is not the problem. The complete rewrite of Skywalker as a character is a problem. The fact that Johnson basically resets the entire universe to 1977 is the problem.

He hadn't seen the movie when he commented, and later said something about it being not his vision, but an interesting and compelling one, given Luke is 30 years older and was isolated.

Given when his commentary was made (post release) it strains credibility to suggest he was misquoted.

Canto Bight is not unnecessary if it is the place for telling not Finn's but Rose's back story.

Rose's backstory could have been served up just as well in five minutes of exposition with the fleet. Canto Bight is 30 minutes of drag on an already bloated  film, and that's not even talking about the ridiculous of going there to find a brilliant hacker, only to be captured, and then chucked into a cell...next to an equally brilliant hacker. 

5 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Luke being a hermit like angry old man does make more sense than making him the prime grand master of everything on some planet with his super powers everywhere. Some of the haters wanted him to be essentially a god. That would be boring. Not really a subversion.

Really?  Cause he kinda wound up being a god anyway; he astral-projects himself across half of the galaxy, and holds off an enemy attack.   So, he’s godlike, but he’s also an angry old fart.  

I’m totally okay with subverting expectations (back in the day we called them ‘twists') if the subversion offers something unexpectedly better (“I am your father” comes to mind).

But the ‘subversions' of TLJ are just pointless and offer nothing to advance the story or the overall mythology. 

4 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Rose's backstory could have been served up just as well in five minutes of exposition with the fleet. Canto Bight is 30 minutes of drag on an already bloated  film, and that's not even talking about the ridiculous of going there to find a brilliant hacker, only to be captured, and then chucked into a cell...next to an equally brilliant hacker. 

All that did was make the two ‘heroes’ (who violated orders and wasted fuel to undertake this mission) look dumb as a bag of rocks.   You’d think a former First Order stormtrooper might be a bit more suspicious as well, but I guess not...

6 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Snoke was never that interesting, subversion or not, and suppose he wasn't really the guy who died in that throne room, but more of a force spirit out there, as he would not have let Rey and Kylo kill him.

He was potentially interesting.  At the very least, I was very intrigued by his appearance in TFA.

But now, thanks to Rian Johnson utterly dropping the ball with the character, we’ll never know.  He’s little more than a powerful-but-dead redshirt in a Trump hotel bathrobe...

6 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Rey sees only herself in the mirror, not her parents. The force created her? Ha. or Kylo is lying. He knows where is she from. Why then did he come to Jakku?

He came to Jakku to retrieve the map to Skywalker from Lor San Takka (Max von Sydow’s character) in TFA.  

Kylo Ren never came to Jakku with the intention of meeting/finding Rey. 

7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

You’d think a former First Order stormtrooper might be a bit more suspicious as well, but I guess not...

I dunno. What I've seen of him from this trilogy, I can't imagine he was ever all that good at being a First Order stormtrooper.

7 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I dunno. What I've seen of him from this trilogy, I can't imagine he was ever all that good at being a First Order stormtrooper.

True, and a good point.

I just wish the whole Canto Bight (more like Canto Bites) sequence had been scrapped in the draft phase; it grinds the movie to a halt, it doesn’t help the story and it diminishes the characters because it made them look REALLY stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

True, and a good point.

I just wish the whole Canto Bight (more like Canto Bites) sequence had been scrapped in the draft phase; it grinds the movie to a halt, it doesn’t help the story and it diminishes the characters because it made them look REALLY stupid. 

Johnson has tried to defend the sequence by saying, in part, that it's a place where the rebellion was reborn.

Really? This guy seriously thinks that one of the "important" purposes of that 30 minute stall at Cinematic Blight was Rose giving her ring to that kid, so we can have "New Luke" look up at the stars?

So the kid repeats a story of the rebellion as he plays with toys, and looks up hopefully. He could have gotten a story of the rebellion from anywhere else with the same effect.

The whole thing has no need to be there.

On 1/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, Chimera82405 said:

I'll talk about this one. Any Star Wars fan should have been intrigued by Snoke given the background of the Sith(only Master and apprentice). Considering how old Snoke looks then he was around during The Emperor's time, Darth Vader, etc...So his very appearance is interesting. Questions immediately come to any fan: who is he, where has he been, what relationship if any did he have to Palpatine, is it Palpatine, etc....? 

His very presence invited a lot of story. But this was never of interest to TPTB. They were only interested in having some replica of The Emperor without any need to flesh out a story. 

Imho, Abrams and co. couldn't come up with an intriguing story so they killed him off in this latest. They simply just ignored the very universe of Star Was. It's akin to having a movie in which Klingons are all of a sudden pacifists without any explanation. 

To your second part, I somewhat wished that it would be some sort of Force Projection but something tells me, considering the lazy writing of Abrams, that it isn't. At best it's a clone borrowing loosely from the now non-cannon books. 

On 1/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, Nombrecomun said:

On Rebels.....same here. Haven't seen any of S4. Not sure why my Disney channels don't show it. 

On the protesting part. It's quite easy really. It's not a movie that I enjoyed so I see no reason to part with more money to acquire something I didn't like. I examined my rationale and behaviour. What's more important to me: having all the movies for completion or purchasing what I enjoy? The latter won out. If I ever see TLJ in a bargain bin for $9.99 some years down the road then I would pick it up. I don't mind it at that price. 

I also have all the Alien movies...well....except the AvP stuff....and I won't buy Covenant either. 

Well, yeah, I get how to do it and the rationale. I even have my own! It’s just that I don’t always trust myself to do it because I’m an OCD geek. ;)

Except when I really dislike a movie, or just the ethos behind it. I don’t think I hated TLJ as much as others on here, but neither am I wild about it. But it’s something when I recognise that I’m looking forward more to a cartoon spin-off more than I am the release of a movie. 

On 1/21/2018 at 4:46 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

He came to Jakku to retrieve the map to Skywalker from Lor San Takka (Max von Sydow’s character) in TFA.  

Kylo Ren never came to Jakku with the intention of meeting/finding Rey. 

Don’t get me started on the map to Skywalker. “I came here to die.” Did you? Then why, pray tell, did you leave a map to your hiding place? It must’ve been you - Who else could it have been? This isn’t subversion, this is a bloody gaping huge plot hole created by Johnson ignoring JJ’s set-up. 

3 hours ago, Nombrecomun said:

Imho, Abrams and co. couldn't come up with an intriguing story so they killed him off in this latest. They simply just ignored the very universe of Star Was... 

TLJ: Star Wasn’t. 

:laugh:

6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Well, yeah, I get how to do it and the rationale. I even have my own! It’s just that I don’t always trust myself to do it because I’m an OCD geek. ;)

Except when I really dislike a movie, or just the ethos behind it. I don’t think I hated TLJ as much as others on here, but neither am I wild about it. But it’s something when I recognise that I’m looking forward more to a cartoon spin-off more than I am the release of a movie. 

Don’t get me started on the map to Skywalker. “I came here to die.” Did you? Then why, pray tell, did you leave a map to your hiding place? It must’ve been you - Who else could it have been? This isn’t subversion, this is a bloody gaping huge plot hole created by Johnson ignoring JJ’s set-up. 

TLJ: Star Wasn’t. 

:laugh:

On your first point?  Me too.  It's something I honestly struggle with sometimes.   I wish I could tell my inner OCD-completist to take a hike sometimes...

On the second, I just started "Rebels" S3 yesterday morning, and yes, I am 100% with you on that one.  Fresh, exciting, and it even manages to occasionally subvert expectations (we called them 'surprises' in my day) without taking a crap on them.  

On the third....right??  Because I always hide cleverly concealed maps to my secret location whenever I don't want to be disturbed.

And Star Was/Star Wasn't.  Love them both.   You and Nombre both deserve a bow. :laugh:

8 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

My response:

Then why the (bleep) are you still here? You're a Jedi, so dead isn't like dead for anyone else. Why didn't you land, ghost yourself, and leave your carcass to rot on the beach? So someone could take care of some old books?

DSC has had far better "subversions" (plot twists) than this. Johnson didn't try to subvert expectations, he wanted to make the movie HE wanted and **** what came before.

I can't believe Lucasfilm signed off on that nonsense.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And Star Was/Star Wasn't.  Love them both.   You and Nombre both deserve a bow. :laugh:

LOL!!! I'm not that clever. That was a typo on my part....but I'll take the credit. ;)

"Sitting around in a Trump hotel bathrobe"? Seemed more like a Hugh Hefner, Playboy Mansion robe. Still, lol.

The fan theories on that guy were somehow nuts though. The whole ring thing, for one. I guess though of Darh Maul can come back from being cleaved in two, so can Snoke. Maybe.

"Star Wasn't" Ha.

JJ looking to fix this and make it better, but you know what he did to Into Darkness. Maybe he will use magic blood? Ha!

"Sitting around in a Trump hotel bathrobe"? Seemed more like a Hugh Hefner, Playboy Mansion robe. Still, lol.

The fan theories on that guy were somehow nuts though. The whole ring thing, for one. I guess though of Darh Maul can come back from being cleaved in two, so can Snoke. Maybe.

"Star Wasn't" Ha.

JJ looking to fix this and make it better, but you know what he did to Into Darkness. Maybe he will use magic blood? Ha!

Lucas did magic blood before Abrams anyway.

And, as it is, Abrams is going to have to do a lot to clean up the mess that is TLJ, and I'm willing to give him a LOT of latitude at this point to cobble together an even semi-satisfying ending to this trilogy.

Johnson happily blew everything up and left Abrams to pick up the pieces.

I do think its weird how you guys keep saying he blew everything up.  In general this felt more like Star Wars to me than Force Awakens did.  TFA was a nice retread back to what the franchise needed, but this felt fresh to me...and no matter how many times you guys say it...this felt like Luke to me. A different Luke...but LUKE. I think the only thing that would've made you guys happy was if he was just a wise old Obi-Wan.  Then maybe the franchise could tread water forever and ever.  And luckily, Abrams doesn't really have ideas, I doubt he ever did, which is why he jumped ship from Star Wars the moment he wrapped up TFA...he had no clear plan, and Johnson took it in wild new directions.  It didn't all work, but I thought it worked far better than it seems to get credit for here. JJ will bring it all back to surface level Star Wars, now that Disney has pumped enough money towards him to get him to come back.  He will probably play it safe and it will be Return of the Jedi. I like Return of the JEdi out of pure nostalgia, but it is a flawed movie for sure.

1 minute ago, kenman said:

I do think its weird how you guys keep saying he blew everything up.  In general this felt more like Star Wars to me than Force Awakens did.  TFA was a nice retread back to what the franchise needed, but this felt fresh to me...and no matter how many times you guys say it...this felt like Luke to me. A different Luke...but LUKE. I think the only thing that would've made you guys happy was if he was just a wise old Obi-Wan.  Then maybe the franchise could tread water forever and ever.  And luckily, Abrams doesn't really have ideas, I doubt he ever did, which is why he jumped ship from Star Wars the moment he wrapped up TFA...he had no clear plan, and Johnson took it in wild new directions.  It didn't all work, but I thought it worked far better than it seems to get credit for here. JJ will bring it all back to surface level Star Wars, now that Disney has pumped enough money towards him to get him to come back.  He will probably play it safe and it will be Return of the Jedi. I like Return of the JEdi out of pure nostalgia, but it is a flawed movie for sure.

Well, that's how opinions work. :)

And, for me, he did. The franchise story is now literally in the same place it was in 1977.

I wanted a Luke that in some way resembled what he always was: fundamentally hopeful. The Luke Rey found was already dead and pretty happy with that.

And it didn't work for me to the point where, unless they chuck Johnson, I'm out of the next SW trilogy he creates. Not that they'll miss my money, but I won't support crap.

10 hours ago, Nombrecomun said:

LOL!!! I'm not that clever. That was a typo on my part....but I'll take the credit. ;)

It was subconsciously clever...:P

Lucas did magic blood before Abrams anyway.

And, as it is, Abrams is going to have to do a lot to clean up the mess that is TLJ, and I'm willing to give him a LOT of latitude at this point to cobble together an even semi-satisfying ending to this trilogy.

Johnson happily blew everything up and left Abrams to pick up the pieces.

In short, yes.  This is the state of the SW cinematic universe right now.   All I can say is thank goodness for “Rebels."

I wanted a Luke that in some way resembled what he always was: fundamentally hopeful. The Luke Rey found was already dead and pretty happy with that.

^
This. 

I refuse to believe that the guy who went out on a limb to save Darth Vader (one of the worst people in the galaxy), but actually toyed with slaughtering his nephew in his sleep (!).  And left a map detailing where he went, so that NO ONE could follow him to where he went to die (?!?).

The Luke in TLJ was a stranger; and an unlikable one, at that...

10 minutes ago, kenman said:

What if Luke didn't leave the map?

The missing piece of it was in Artoo, and he was the last one to be with Luke after the destruction of the Jedi academy.  So, unless they seriously retcon it in IX (which is possible), it feels like a gaping plot hole.   It feels like it was meant to be significant in JJ Abrams’ version, but Rian Johnson kind of just... dropped it

24 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The missing piece of it was in Artoo, and he was the last one to be with Luke after the destruction of the Jedi academy.  So, unless they seriously retcon it in IX (which is possible), it feels like a gaping plot hole.   It feels like it was meant to be significant in JJ Abrams’ version, but Rian Johnson kind of just... dropped it

I'm not saying it wasn't significant, but who is to say that Luke was leaving these clues?  If Luke wanted to be found, why the hell would he be hiding throughout the Force Awakens, avoiding the war and his friend Han getting killed, and all of that...if he left a map for everyone?  Why leave a cryptic map if he wanted to be found?  Why not leave a not with Leia "hey here's where I'm heading if you need me" not leave cryptic clues hidden throughout the galaxy.  R2 has a ton of personality, what if he hid the clues feeling Luke should be found...who knows. Why do we assume Luke made the elaborate cryptic plan to be found? Why does that make MORE sense?

9 minutes ago, kenman said:

I'm not saying it wasn't significant, but who is to say that Luke was leaving these clues?  If Luke wanted to be found, why the hell would he be hiding throughout the Force Awakens, avoiding the war and his friend Han getting killed, and all of that...if he left a map for everyone?  Why leave a cryptic map if he wanted to be found?  Why not leave a not with Leia "hey here's where I'm heading if you need me" not leave cryptic clues hidden throughout the galaxy.  R2 has a ton of personality, what if he hid the clues feeling Luke should be found...who knows. Why do we assume Luke made the elaborate cryptic plan to be found? Why does that make MORE sense?

Well, at any rate it doesn’t even matter anymore, since Luke is dead anyway...

19 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’ll take the credit, too. :dance:

I think Kenman’s point that Artoo is responsible for the map is a good one. After all, he had the missing piece. Although how he could know the location of Ahch-To when it’s the “most unfindable place in the galaxy” and was left behind by Luke is stretching it a bit. But if you squint, it sort of works... maybe. Again, it’s a bit of info that seems retro-fitted to work rather than an element that is properly plotted, just like the Rashomon sequences of Luke dealing with young Ben Solo. 

I don’t think the problem with TLJ is stylistic. I think it’s both structural and largely to do with character, especially the treatment of Luke’s. Which is where Prome’s point is spot on. 

I don’t think he should’ve been like Obi-Wan, and while people do change, this isn’t the Luke we knew. Taking a symbol of hope and making him into an angry old failure really is messing with an icon and people’s memories. It would have been just as dramatically viable (and more positive) to have given him a higher purpose rather than just regret and rage. Make him a scholar of the oldest Jedi Temple - which is what we’retold he went to the island to find - make him evolved beyond warring and also beyond Rey's comprehension. All her character progression and entreaties to him to return to the Resistance with her would still have worked, as would his refusal to. But you wouldn’t have left a couple of generations of fans with a bad taste in their mouths. This would also have shown that the perceptions of the Force among the Jedi were unevolved - somehow he’d attained an inner balance, and it was this message that he eventually returned to the galaxy (and to the fight) to spread. So his eventual comeuppance of Ren would also still have worked. 

See, I still think there’s a lot about this movie that does work. There’s good stuff struggling to get out. But it needed more, at least another couple of passes over that script and the shape of the story, and someone at Kennedy’s level, or Pablo Hidalgo or someone in the story group to say, “Hold on,” and come up with better solutions to both some of the character issues and the dramatic problems that Johnson faced than the ones he went with. I do think, however, on the evidence of this film, that LF’s faith in him is mystifying, especially after they’ve hung a few other young auteur directors out to dry. I suspect Johnson’s a better diplomat than they are. 

But yeah, I also think JJ will go a safe route and make a nice, happy easily recognizable SW film for Ep IX. TLJ will remain divisive, the next one will be akin to TFA II. Either way, you no longer have the progression of a piece of modern mythmaking, you have a degeneration into blockbusters along the lines of the MCU, which is sad, because Star Wars, whatever its missteps, in terms of worldbuilding was always something a little bit special.   

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I don’t think the problem with TLJ is stylistic. I think it’s both structural and largely to do with character, especially the treatment of Luke’s. Which is where Prome’s point is spot on. 

This.
TLJ is a beautiful film, stylistically.  One of the best looking of the bunch, I’d say.  But its the story and the characters (or rather the ill-use of characters) that trips me up a bit...

I don’t think he should’ve been like Obi-Wan, and while people do change, this isn’t the Luke we knew. Taking a symbol of hope and making him into an angry old failure really is messing with an icon and people’s memories. It would have been just as dramatically viable (and more positive) to have given him a higher purpose rather than just regret and rage. Make him a scholar of the oldest Jedi Temple - which is what we’retold he went to the island to find - make him evolved beyond warring and also beyond Rey's comprehension. All her character progression and entreaties to him to return to the Resistance with her would still have worked, as would his refusal to. But you wouldn’t have left a couple of generations of fans with a bad taste in their mouths. This would also have shown that the perceptions of the Force among the Jedi were unevolved - somehow he’d attained an inner balance, and it was this message that he eventually returned to the galaxy (and to the fight) to spread. So his eventual comeuppance of Ren would also still have worked. 

This!

I like that idea very much; it also fits well into his need to self-hermitize for awhile.  He wasn’t ready, or rather, he felt the galaxy wasn’t yet ready for what he knew...

See, I still think there’s a lot about this movie that does work. There’s good stuff struggling to get out. But it needed more, at least another couple of passes over that script and the shape of the story, and someone at Kennedy’s level, or Pablo Hidalgo or someone in the story group to say, “Hold on,” and come up with better solutions to both some of the character issues and the dramatic problems that Johnson faced than the ones he went with. I do think, however, on the evidence of this film, that LF’s faith in him is mystifying, especially after they’ve hung a few other young auteur directors out to dry. I suspect Johnson’s a better diplomat than they are. 

But yeah, I also think JJ will go a safe route and make a nice, happy easily recognizable SW film for Ep IX. TLJ will remain divisive, the next one will be akin to TFA II. Either way, you no longer have the progression of a piece of modern mythmaking, you have a degeneration into blockbusters along the lines of the MCU, which is sad, because Star Wars, whatever its missteps, in terms of worldbuilding was always something a little bit special.   

It certainly was for me when I was a kid, but I’m not really sure cinematic Star Wars is the ‘event’ that it used to be anymore...:(

Despite The Fan Backlash, Rian Johnson Wouldn't Change A Thing About STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson weighs in on all the hate, abuse, and death threats he's received after helming the divisive sequel and makes it clear that he wouldn't change a thing.

Fan Backlash ? What Fan Backlash ??? Geeeezuuzzzzzz, LOL

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:
Despite The Fan Backlash, Rian Johnson Wouldn't Change A Thing About STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson weighs in on all the hate, abuse, and death threats he's received after helming the divisive sequel and makes it clear that he wouldn't change a thing.

Fan Backlash ? What Fan Backlash ??? Geeeezuuzzzzzz, LOL

Any more backlash and movie screens would be catching fire...:P

Sign in to follow this