Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

THE LAST JEDI - Movie discussion and critique

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

There are times when that compulsion sucks. :)

At least I was able to fight it a teensy bit when Terminator: Salvation and ALIEN: Covenant came to blu ray...

tumblr_ml9zcsHuyz1qh9nffo1_500.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made sure I got the Target edition of Rogue One for that edition’s exclusive extras. Won’t be doing that this time. Yeah, I’ll probably get the regular edition, but even then, I’ll be adhering to the Sehlat Vie principle of rewatching a movie to come to terms with the bits I think suck via humour and throwing popcorn at the screen.  I’m actually more interested in getting the final season of Rebels on blu-ray (I haven’t seen any of S4 yet). 

I’ve noticed that they seem to be trying to give copies of ALIEN Covenant away. That really was an occasion where people voted with their feet and stayed away in droves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I made sure I got the Target edition of Rogue One for that edition’s exclusive extras. Won’t be doing that this time. Yeah, I’ll probably get the regular edition, but even then, I’ll be adhering to the Sehlat Vie principle of rewatching a movie to come to terms with the bits I think suck via humour and throwing popcorn at the screen.  I’m actually more interested in getting the final season of Rebels on blu-ray (I haven’t seen any of S4 yet). 

I’ve noticed that they seem to be trying to give copies of ALIEN Covenant away. That really was an occasion where people voted with their feet and stayed away in droves. 

I noticed the price on AC getting lower and lower almost on a weekly basis...:laugh:

And I'm honored that anyone adheres to my rewatch principle; sometimes analyzing what went wrong is just as interesting as admiring a job exceptionally well-done.  

And I still need to watch S3 of Rebels.  Waiting for it to be available in my Discflix queue....any day now. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I love Kevin Smith, but...

malarkey.gif

He can blame it on ‘fan expectations’, and while that may be a factor to some degree, but it’s hardly the SOLE reason the movie is scoring so low on Rotten Tomatoes.   

IMO, the movie failed, not the fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I love Kevin Smith, but...

malarkey.gif

Straight up, I'm kind of offended at the article, which is a variant of, "You just don't get it."

I got it fine...it kinda sucks

And, to be honest, Johnson did ding my childhood  a li'l bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Straight up, I'm kind of offended at the article, which is a variant of, "You just don't get it."

I got it fine...it kinda sucks

And, to be honest, Johnson did ding my childhood  a li'l bit.

And it’s not just because he ‘subverted expectations’; it’s because his unexpected twists were simply bad ones.  You can subvert expectations in a good way (“I am your father”), but TLJ just doesn’t.  The unexpected subversions are just lazy; Luke tossing the saber, Snoke and Rey’s backstories being nothing, etc.

And again, I don’t hate TLJ.  I really wanted it to succeed.   But it didn’t and I’m just really disappointed with it.  

Instead of us not ‘getting' it, I don’t think Rian Johnson gets it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can enjoy or not enjoy the movie however you like - that’s your prerogative. But don’t tell people they don’t get it if they don’t like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I think you can enjoy or not enjoy the movie however you like - that’s your prerogative. But don’t tell people they don’t get it if they don’t like it. 

I’m just as disappointed to see what TLJ has done to fandom as I am with the movie itself. 

Oh well.  There’s “Rebels” at any rate.  Interesting and unexpected that a CG cartoon would better capture the flavor of the OT than the current movie, while still showing new things within the universe (another argument against TLJ fans who insist that some of us only want familiar story elements).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Oh well.  There’s “Rebels” at any rate.  Interesting and unexpected that a CG cartoon would better capture the flavor of the OT than the current movie, while still showing new things within the universe

Reminds me of the Lego Batman Movie. Those people understand Batman and his pathos better than Warner seems to, even as they put a humorous spin on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Reminds me of the Lego Batman Movie. Those people understand Batman and his pathos better than Warner seems to, even as they put a humorous spin on it.

Gotta say, aside from Wonder Woman, I’ve so completely lost interest in the cinematic DCU, I couldn’t care a fig what they put out now. 

18 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’m just as disappointed to see what TLJ has done to fandom as I am with the movie itself. 

Oh well.  There’s “Rebels” at any rate.  Interesting and unexpected that a CG cartoon would better capture the flavor of the OT than the current movie, while still showing new things within the universe (another argument against TLJ fans who insist that some of us only want familiar story elements).

It does make me a bit wary of Johnson’s proposed “new trilogy” beyond this one. But maybe his style of storytelling will work better on films removed from the main Skywalker saga? 

C’mon, LF and Disney... you anointed the wrong guy. Filoni, man, Filoni. 

Edited by Robin Bland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Gotta say, aside from Wonder Woman, I’ve so completely lost interest in the cinematic DCU, I couldn’t care a fig what they put out now. 

It does make me a bit wary of Johnson’s proposed “new trilogy” beyond this one. But maybe his style of storytelling will work better on films removed from the main Skywalker saga? 

C’mon, LF and Disney... you anointed the wrong guy. Filoni, man, Filoni. 

On your first point, agreed. Haven't even seen "Justice League" and I don't feel I've missed anything.

On your second, very possible that Johnson could do better later on, but I just wish that he hadn't used a chapter of this trilogy as his personal audition tape for his own trilogy.  Too many dead ends, lots of conflicting ideas all thrown out...it felt chaotic.  Lots of wheel-spinning but little forward momentum. Rey hasn't really progressed, and Kylo is still the same only with a self--granted promotion.  At the end of all of it, things are no diffferent really, other than a higher body count.

I can only imagine what Dave Filoni would've done with a middle movie chapter...or his own trilogy.  Wow.  I was surprised at how well Rebels captures so much of that earlier SW feeling.  And it's a cartoon on TV (!).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Gotta say, aside from Wonder Woman, I’ve so completely lost interest in the cinematic DCU, I couldn’t care a fig what they put out now. 

True. A lotta people have given them a lotta chances.

6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

It does make me a bit wary of Johnson’s proposed “new trilogy” beyond this one. But maybe his style of storytelling will work better on films removed from the main Skywalker saga? 

May indeed work better on a trilogy entirely his.

I just know he stalled, if not ruined this one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this