Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

Dakota Fanning in "Please Stand By" The story of an autistic Trekkie's quest to submit her script.

This is a cute fan idea, and it's funny Dakota Fanning is on board, but seeing as how the submission guidelines have not changed since 2005, as in you can't submit to them a screenplay, it is ludicrous. Ha. It is a similar feel to the Star Wars fan film, Fanboyz. Now if she set the story in the mid 1990s during the writer's period, it is possible. But it apparently is not set then.

Two years ago, a fan online (not me) was viral all over the net claiming to have pitched a script he wrote years ago, due to a misunderstanding about Star Trek Beyond, (long thread, won't go there), as they told him to remove his domain name basically, (as it turned out, they were telling him cease an desist, not to send them his 20 year old fan script), not to send them anything. If they're spoofing that, it's a good fan film parody idea.

Fan guidelines went down in June 2016 indicating they would again, as stated at CBS, not allow any submissions at all.

(Me). Having been there in the 1990s script writing contest, and having submitted circa 1994 and 1995, among literally thousands of people, that would make an interesting story. Even getting back confirmation and ultimately rejection letters was a good experience, as they were encouraging. They have not accepted submissions since Enterprise. Sorry. (Also I am on the autism spectrum).

So this fan film might be worth a watch. They're probably not thinking about the 1990s at all, and if they're thinking now, then spoof the copyright rules going up. But they won't.

Basically the CBS rules have it that they will not accept any unsolicited unagented script, treatment, pitch or story, for any reason. You can go to their web site for confirmation.

Edited by Chimera82405

13 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

This is a cute fan idea, and it's funny Dakota Fanning is on board, but seeing as how the submission guidelines have not changed since 2005, as in you can't submit to them a screenplay, it is ludicrous. Ha. It is a similar feel to the Star Wars fan film, Fanboyz. Now if she set the story in the mid 1990s during the writer's period, it is possible. But it apparently is not set then.

I don't think that's the point of this film.

At all.

The point is the exploration of her and the journey through her. Doesn't matter what the submission rules are.

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

I don't think that's the point of this film.

At all.

The point is the exploration of her and the journey through her. Doesn't matter what the submission rules are.

Yeah, and interesting FanBoyz like idea and like Trekkies, and it could be worth a watch.

Sign in to follow this