Comiskeybum

Tarantino's idea. What is it?

It'll be a Logan like movie featuring Chris Pine and Shatner and giving Shatner a proper death this time. The movie will feature the Kelvin timeline cast and "Old Kirk" can die differently this time because it's an alternate timeline. Based on the City on the edge of forever it'll involve time travel and also feature the often rumored return of Geoge Kirk. 

I can almost guarantee that is the jest of it.

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I seem to recall him suggesting simply remaking popular TOS episodes, so it wouldn't shock me.

Didn't we have a post or two about this in another thread?  I seem to remember that's exactly what Tarantino had in mind; big budget remakes of classic episodes.  IMO, that would've gone down like a lead life vest.

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Didn't we have a post or two about this in another thread?  I seem to remember that's exactly what Tarantino had in mind; big budget remakes of classic episodes.  IMO, that would've gone down like a lead life vest.

I mean, if he wants to base something off an old episode so he can take some of the beats from it that fans enjoyed and then add to it, then maybe in the same way Peter David's "Vendetta" added a lot to the idea of The Doomsday Machine in a really good read.

Or go full-out crazy fun and go to the mirror universe, mainly because I think Quinto would be six kinds of awesome as evil Spock.

And, hell, if I'm just spit ballin' here, maybe Kirk and company has to square off against an Admiral...or even Emperor Lorca.

I think I'd pay for that. :)

Is there a Tarantino in Star Trek 4 thread already?

Tarantino helped on Clerks 2 and made it work better, even by Smith's observation.

Still I would treat this as a rumor stemming from an early 2016 post about his being interested. It is still a rumor until Paramount okays any kind of script idea. They likely don't even have one yet.

I would not want him to bring his rage filled snappy and raunchy one liners into Star Trek. That would be a very, very bad idea. As a parody, that's fine, but not as a legitimate Trek movie. We do not want Kirk screaming obscenities before blowing a guy away.

References and call backs to older Trek movies and TV shows parallels Nick Meyer's idea back in the day, which became TWOK, and we've done TWOK five times, in three movies and two episodes. Can we not do that a sixth time. In fact, the 'quote from Tarantino' is very similar to Myers, as if someone cut and pasted Meyers quote onto him. Might want to tweet Quentin this morning and ask him.

Fun callbacks like Kirk tearing his shirt, or eating an apple, or saying 'beam me up', fine.

I would trust him with the nostalgia factor. That's a plus. He would know the material. Some rumors speculate on a Mirror timeline,. so he can swear, or bring in George Kirk, (another rumor, Hemsworth's idea of George coming back, 2015), but let's not do that.

Also some of this stinks of fans rewriting the rumors, to their own ends, wanting to erase the JJ verse by having a time travel 'reset button' character come in and claim he should restore amends. This seems to be the genesis of some of the rumor mill this morning. The writer using his quotes, from 2016, is not a fan of the JJ verse and wants a reboot where it is reset back, like in Voyager, to be prime again.

I would  be weary of retelling old stories and of Tarantino's long winded speeches, (a 15 minute trtise on old silent films in InGlorous, a 15 minute tirade on civil war history in Hateful 8,  and DJanogo, the famous speeches in Pulp Fiction, etc, allusions to old movies, and cursing in his movies, (No Sam Jackson screaming before executing a guy cowboy style), which are not Star Trek at all. He has to be reigned in. Also, he's a non linear thinker. He might have a beginning in the middle, and an ending at the start. That might also be a concern.

If Rodriquez helps to reign him in, maybe. Actually, from what little I've learned of Discovery, we might fit as a director of one of those episodes.

Star Trek 14 is going to have to be more uplifting and positive.

Edited by Chimera82405

12 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

They likely don't even have one yet.

They did. They did because they already discussed bringing back Hemsworth. They had an idea, whether that's still anywhere at all on the table remains to be seen.

And I really don't expect that he would, or would be allowed to turn the film into Reservoir Trek. My only concern is that he have an actual idea beyond, "Let's remake an episode with more money."

5 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

They did. They did because they already discussed bringing back Hemsworth. They had an idea, whether that's still anywhere at all on the table remains to be seen.

And I really don't expect that he would, or would be allowed to turn the film into Reservoir Trek. My only concern is that he have an actual idea beyond, "Let's remake an episode with more money."

True that. Does any of this rumor have legs? Is he just going to be nostalgic? Yeah, I probably agree with most fans, something origina and something that isn't going to just copy something that we've seen before but with better SFX. Heck, The Changeling/The Motion Picture, Space Seed/The Wrath of Khan, were done.

Now I suppose if they wanted to be messed up, Vger in the JJ verse arrives at 2370 Earth. Instead of Spock implying Vger is a child, and McCoy claimning it needs to be spanked, Kirk then adds to that by a long winded speech ending in a screaming 'mutha..." ending in his firing phasers and stuff to blow it up, Michael Bay style. Ops better not give them ideas.

Edited by Chimera82405

3 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

True that. Does any of this rumor have legs? Is he just going to be nostalgic? Yeah, I probably agree with most fans, something origina and something that isn't going to just copy something that we've seen before but with better SFX. Heck, The Changeling/The Motion Picture, Space Seed/The Wrath of Khan, were done.

Now I suppose if they wanted to be messed up, Vger in the JJ verse arrives at 2370 Earth.

I don't really know how valid any of it is, but I expect that we'll know soon if he has a valid idea because I doubt Paramount would sit on the news of Tarantino being officially tied to a Trek feature. 

I feel it needs some kind of boost, this might be it, looking forward to it being a better story than Kirks father 

Edited by Mike Thompson

13 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Do you think phasers will blow people's heads clean off and there'll be showers of blood?

The new Klingons...

Gimp.jpg

Is anyone here very familiar with Tarantino's work? The only thing I've seen from him are the Kill Bill movies. From what I've seen, and the stuff I've heard about his other work, he seems like quite a bad choice for Trek.

Edited by Explorer3

11 minutes ago, Explorer3 said:

Is anyone here very familiar with Tarantino's work? The only thing I've seen from him are the Kill Bill movies. From what I've seen, and the stuff I've heard about his other work, he seems like quite a bad choice for Trek.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds (sic), Jackie Brown (my personal favorite) and he was a writer/actor on From Dusk Till Dawn. 

And I partly agree; he’s primarily known for over-the-top, darkly comic crime epics, and more recently historically revisionist melodramas.   His (possible) work on Star Trek doesn’t seem like a good fit, but then again, who knows?  Sometimes (though not necessarily this time) an off-brand choice can be just what the doctor ordered.

Personally, I don’t think this is going to happen but that’s just a feeling. 

2 hours ago, Explorer3 said:

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds (sic), Jackie Brown (my personal favorite) and he was a writer/actor on From Dusk Till Dawn. 

And I partly agree; he’s primarily known for over-the-top, darkly comic crime epics, and more recently historically revisionist melodramas.   His (possible) work on Star Trek doesn’t seem like a good fit, but then again, who knows?  Sometimes (though not necessarily this time) an off-brand choice can be just what the doctor ordered.

Personally, I don’t think this is going to happen but that’s just a feeling. 

Right. I didn't think Justin Lin was a good fit because of his Fast/Furious association, and I was totally wrong. ST Beyond turned out to be one of my fave Trek movies.

But Tarantino does have a pretty definite... er, style. It could be described as "blood and guts." In my humble opinion, his masterpiece is Jackie Brown (hi, Vie), which is as much a character piece as anything.  It's one of the few he didn't write IIRC (or at least, it's based on a novel), but all of his stuff is crime/heist/westerns and all of which feature serious blood-letting. Pulp Fiction is also one of his better efforts. But at a certain point, he fell in love with his own myth and became seriously self-indulgent. Personally, i think Kill Bill should've been one movie, not two. He's not a fan of the brisk edit; almost all his films are three hours or so long.  And Inglourious Basterds is an example of his sense of humor overriding decent storytelling - it starts well and swiftly descends into unfunny chaos. Even at his best, he seems incapable of making something that doesn't have its tongue stuck firmly in cheek.

I can't imagine him getting a handle on a Star Trek style without it being a parody...

6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Right. I didn't think Justin Lin was a good fit because of his Fast/Furious association, and I was totally wrong. ST Beyond turned out to be one of my fave Trek movies.

But Tarantino does have a pretty definite... er, style. It could be described as "blood and guts." In my humble opinion, his masterpiece is Jackie Brown (hi, Vie), which is as much a character piece as anything.  It's one of the few he didn't write IIRC (or at least, it's based on a novel), but all of his stuff is crime/heist/westerns and all of which feature serious blood-letting. Pulp Fiction is also one of his better efforts. But at a certain point, he fell in love with his own myth and became seriously self-indulgent. Personally, i think Kill Bill should've been one movie, not two. He's not a fan of the brisk edit; almost all his films are three hours or so long.  And Inglourious Basterds is an example of his sense of humor overriding decent storytelling - it starts well and swiftly descends into unfunny chaos. Even at his best, he seems incapable of making something that doesn't have its tongue stuck firmly in cheek.

I can't imagine him getting a handle on a Star Trek style without it being a parody...

^ Perfectly articulates my doubts/concerns regarding Tarantino as a possible ST director/writer. 

And yes, Jackie Brown is probably the Tarantino movie I've rewatched the most because it's a real universe; it doesn't feel overly stylized (like Kill Bill, Hatefful Eight or Basterds).and the characters are much more dimensional and real to me (it's a fantastic comeback for '70s action icon Pam Grier, too! Even in her '70s exploitation flicks, she never had a role this good, and that includes "Coffy" and "Foxy Brown").

I also very much loved Pulp Fiction as well (a similarly terrific return to form for Travolta at that time; who'd descended into making lowbrow talking baby movies), but Jackie Brown is the most disciplined and fully dimensional movie, IMO.  Also agree on Basterds; it started out very promising, but he crashed it at the end when the movie lost all cohesion and discipline. 

Tarantino's increasingly over-the-top, near-cartoonish style of late doesn't really bode well for a ST movie, but then again, if this happens (which I doubt)?  Who knows.  

As you say, Robin, Lin certainly surprised me with ST Beyond. 

8 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^ Perfectly articulates my doubts/concerns regarding Tarantino as a possible ST director/writer. 

And yes, Jackie Brown is probably the Tarantino movie I've rewatched the most because it's a real universe; it doesn't feel overly stylized (like Kill Bill, Hatefful Eight or Basterds).and the characters are much more dimensional and real to me (it's a fantastic comeback for '70s action icon Pam Grier, too! Even in her '70s exploitation flicks, she never had a role this good, and that includes "Coffy" and "Foxy Brown").

I also very much loved Pulp Fiction as well (a similarly terrific return to form for Travolta at that time; who'd descended into making lowbrow talking baby movies), but Jackie Brown is the most disciplined and fully dimensional movie, IMO.  Also agree on Basterds; it started out very promising, but he crashed it at the end when the movie lost all cohesion and discipline. 

Tarantino's increasingly over-the-top, near-cartoonish style of late doesn't really bode well for a ST movie, but then again, if this happens (which I doubt)?  Who knows.  

As you say, Robin, Lin certainly surprised me with ST Beyond. 

Yeah, I don’t want to be guilty of writing Tarantino off, although he does have a much more definite stylistic ouevre than Lin had at the time of making ST Beyond. Is Tarantino able to see beyond his own legend enough to deliver a take on Star Trek that would respect what’s gone before? That would - you know - just fit? Tarantino doesn’t respect much, but I guess it’s possible that he loves Trek enough to want to do it. 

I just wonder if anything Tarantino took a pen to wouldn’t collapse under the weight of its own Trek tropes.   

2 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Yeah, I don’t want to be guilty of writing Tarantino off, although he does have a much more definite stylistic ouevre than Lin had at the time of making ST Beyond. Is Tarantino able to see beyond his own legend enough to deliver a take on Star Trek that would respect what’s gone before? That would - you know - just fit? Tarantino doesn’t respect much, but I guess it’s possible that he loves Trek enough to want to do it. 

I just wonder if anything Tarantino took a pen to wouldn’t collapse under the weight of its own Trek tropes.   

If this even happens at all (which I’m still highly doubtful of) it’s possible that he might show some restraint.  For example, I doubt he’d be allowed to drop as many F-bombs as he typically does in his movies (though Disco broke that glass ceiling recently, and IMO it worked).

I think Reservoir Dogs, a nod to mob movie heist pictures, and Jackie Brown, a nod to exploitation films, were his two best really.

Yes, I've seen most of his films. They're unique.

Django was originally an old Italian western before QT turned it into something his own.

InGorous Basterds was also an Italian drama western set in WW2, but his version changed it a lot.

The yellow suit fight scene in Kill Bill is taken from one of the greatest Bruce Lee movies of all time,Game of Death.

Hateful 8 was a nod to a number of old westerns, and a backward riff on Magnificent Seven, Seven Samurai.

Pulp Fiction, if put into order, is a riff of all the 1970s exploitation films he grew up on.

His addition to Clerks 2 was taken from an homage to the reality TV genre.

Death Proof was a love letter to Bronson films, and others. (Rodriquez also was at the helm).

Grindhouse was his, and Rodriquez's love letter to the grindhouse films, or cheap horror films done for shock value, of the 1970s and early 1980s.

The patterns in his films are clearly 'I love nostalgia for older movies and will do repeats of their scenes to make them my own'. Not sure how this would work in Trek. It would be like Kirk suddenly referencing for long stretches having seen Five Easy Pieces and liking it.

Not to mention, Trek has done some of this in the past, even in Beyond, referring to rock music, Insurrection, referring to a musical, and in some TNG efforts with plays and dramas, usually in the background. Also the holodeck is used to refer to older films, which to them would be classics.

But it's not the whole story. QT can't just make a snarky swear laden nod to westerns out of the space western that is Trek, but merely could reference them.

Also was not sure on Jason Lin at first, but seeing as how the movie didn't make as much money as they hoped at Paramount, they likely will not ask him back.

Someone like Dennis Villenuvue, (Arrival), could be interesting.

Not sure how I would like them dropping f bombs on Discovery. It was handled well in Star Trek TVH, 'In this culture they swear every other word!' Ha. Not sure how well that might fly.

So if QT likes nostalgia, fine, but don't overdo it. No lectures for a whole scene on the greatness of grindhouse pictures. It's enough to just reference it. Maybe have Kirk comment offhandedly on something. 'Hey Bones, aren't you a McCoy?', 'Well so long as there aren't any Hatfields aboard.'

Or like Troi being Durango in that one episode on the holodeck.

Or like Worf, 'I protest. I am NOT a merry man!'

So it has been done, but yeah, the studio should reign him in, if true, but I have yet to confirm any of this as true.

Now Rodruiez might be an interesting choice, his co director, who did also do Spy Kids, in addition to the other stuff.

Quentin Tarantino's STAR TREK Movie Will Be R-Rated; THE REVENANT's Mark L. Smith Frontrunner To Write

It looks like that Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie we heard about is a now a go, and is moving at warp speed! A new report claims that the iconic director insisted on an R-rating, and Paramount agreed.

30 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:
Quentin Tarantino's STAR TREK Movie Will Be R-Rated; THE REVENANT's Mark L. Smith Frontrunner To Write

It looks like that Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie we heard about is a now a go, and is moving at warp speed! A new report claims that the iconic director insisted on an R-rating, and Paramount agreed.

I still don’t think this movie is going to happen, for some reason.  But whatever...

And an R-rated Star Trek is a terrible idea; you want to widen Star Trek’s audience appeal, not narrow it.   

We also have an ongoing thread on Tarantino Trek (Mr. Picard seems to have scooped you on this one, Gus...) ;)

I’ve just merged the two; we don’t really need more than one Tarantino Trek thread (for the moment, anyway).