Sign in to follow this  
Maltz

Star Trek: Discovery occurs in an alternate universe

2 hours ago, Dillkid said:

Perhaps the Spore Drive becomes classified so that it's never created again. Which would explain why Voyager didn't make one to get home I guess.

I''m also wondering if there's something truly dangerous about its effects on biological beings (such as the tardigrade and Lt. Stamets) that leads to its ban as well.   Maybe it has some "Gary Mitchell-esque" effect on Stamets (his whitened eyes, for example) that create a danger for the ship and crew (?).  

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I''m also wondering if there's something truly dangerous about its effects on biological beings (such as the tardigrade and Lt. Stamets) that leads to its ban as well.   Maybe it has some "Gary Mitchell-esque" effect on Stamets (his whitened eyes, for example) that create a danger for the ship and crew (?).  

I would have been fine with Voyager using Neelix for the job to be honest. They could have used him and then beamed him into space 😂

Edited by Dillkid

I've only seen bits of Discovery here and there, including two battles scenes, and I was thinking, is Stammets a Traveler? Maybe it's more like TNG and he's actually doing all the space jumps on his own, and the spores are just there. Or this is the 'failure of trans warp'? Or this is Trans-warp tech, and they line up the these spore things to make corridors in space also. Haven;t seen enough to know. Also, if the doc truly loves him, why let him suffer to make the ship jump? That's kind of messed up. It's like saying, well, I know you're going to be really messed up, but you're doing it for love, so get in there! (Kind of like a reverse abusive relationship, with the special, morally good, naive passive yet abused brainy person being continually tormented so that the morally conflicted dominant character can get somewhere, while it's all the doing of the special alien). But later morally conflicted man (Lorca or the doc, but the doc is morally good 'does it for duty'), will feel sad about it. Okay, reading too much into that battle scene I saw. Or am I?

He's a Traveler from Tau Alpha C, or has similar powers. I bet that's the direction they were going, but it was changed. Or he will be revealed to be behind the warp jumps like a traveler, and a similar life form. I am guessing.

Edited by Chimera82405

2 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Also, if the doc truly loves him, why let him suffer to make the ship jump? That's kind of messed up.

Cause orders; no choice.   The same way lovers in the military may have to sometimes watch, or be a part of, their loved ones’ death.    The captain gave Culber no choice.  And assuming (since they mentioned a ranking CMO aboard DSC) that someone else in the medical staff outranks Culber, it’s likely that Lorca would likely just order them to do it.  

I don’t know about you, but I’d rather have my fate in the hands of someone who loved and had a vested interest in my coming back...

That's kind of messed up. It's like saying, well, I know you're going to be really messed up, but you're doing it for love, so get in there! (Kind of like a reverse abusive relationship, with the special, morally good, naive passive yet abused brainy person being continually tormented so that the morally conflicted dominant character can get somewhere, while it's all the doing of the special alien). But later morally conflicted man (Lorca or the doc, but the doc is morally good 'does it for duty'), will feel sad about it. Okay, reading too much into that battle scene I saw. Or am I?

I think you’re missing how truly conflicted Culber was; it wasn’t easy for Culber to do this.  He didn’t enjoy throwing his lover to the wolves like that...

He's a Traveler from Tau Alpha C, or has similar powers. I bet that's the direction they were going, but it was changed. Or he will be revealed to be behind the warp jumps like a traveler, and a similar life form. I am guessing.

I really doubt it.  He was quite human before he linked to the spore drive.

I've only seen bits of Discovery here and there, including two battles scenes, and I was thinking, is Stammets a Traveler? Maybe it's more like TNG and he's actually doing all the space jumps on his own, and the spores are just there.

Pretty much no.

Also, if the doc truly loves him, why let him suffer to make the ship jump? That's kind of messed up. It's like saying, well, I know you're going to be really messed up, but you're doing it for love, so get in there! (

For the last jump? He wanted to do it. That chain of jumps for mapping? It had to happen. That you have your mate on the ship has nothing to do with anything, "Don't you let my husband go down to that strange planet." "Don't let my wife go through that Iconian Gateway."

They have jobs to do and if your wife and kids can stand up and prevent that officer from doing that job, what good is that officer?

A LOT more people were set to die if Stamets didn't do what he had done. What he accomplished would have been worth his life. It had to be done.

2 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Pretty much no.

For the last jump? He wanted to do it. That chain of jumps for mapping? It had to happen. That you have your mate on the ship has nothing to do with anything, "Don't you let my husband go down to that strange planet." "Don't let my wife go through that Iconian Gateway."

They have jobs to do and if your wife and kids can stand up and prevent that officer from doing that job, what good is that officer?

A LOT more people were set to die if Stamets didn't do what he had done. What he accomplished would have been worth his life. It had to be done.

This.

And if I were Stamets, I’d much rather have someone who loved and cared about me looking after my vitals/health during the jumps than a dispassionate CMO.

Everyone is entitled to their own headcanon but there are objective facts about the Star Trek universe that exist whether you accept them or not. The DSC creators say that we are in the prime timeline and it's not an alternate universe. I take them at their word. It's possible they are lying to us like Bad Robot's people did about Kahn. But I doubt it. 

They even say the transition to a TOS aesthetic will be depicted over the course of the show. This I'm a bit more skeptical of. Not that I disbelieve them, but I wonder how much of future seasons they really have mapped out. Also, the 1701 is out there right now looking the same as it did in the Cage presumably. 

Random thought: Im not sure it's right to say that the technology on the 1701 is less advanced than the DISCO. Sure, the bridge stations look different but are the 1701s computer interfaces really less functional? We 2017 audience members know that the studio sets on DSC are more functional than the sets on TOS, but we need not project onto that that Spock's station is less advanced than Saru's. 

This kind of thinking is what will make it easier to imagine Burnham walking the decks of the 1701 and Lt. Kirk walking the decks of DISCO. I admit it's a stretch Trek fans are not used to (because of how the various series have been laid out over the decades) but I encourage everyone to try. The show is more fun that way--the Trek universe is more full and interesting that way. And if the writers are trying to meet us half way with at least some explanations, we should all give it a try.        

40 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

Everyone is entitled to their own headcanon but there are objective facts about the Star Trek universe that exist whether you accept them or not. The DSC creators say that we are in the prime timeline and it's not an alternate universe. I take them at their word. It's possible they are lying to us like Bad Robot's people did about Kahn. But I doubt it. 

I don’t know exactly who gave the original PR order to lie about Khan’s identity, but Alex Kurtzman did produce both the BR movies and DSC, so it’s possible he might be pulling a similar trick now, who knows? 

I actually love the upthread theory about the ‘mirror’ universe Disco spore-jumped into at the end of S1.9 actually BEING the prime timeline; that would explain SOOOO much...

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I actually love the upthread theory about the ‘mirror’ universe Disco spore-jumped into at the end of S1.9 actually BEING the prime timeline; that would explain SOOOO much...

And it wouldn't exactly mean they lied about the show being set in the Prime Timeline either. Because they ARE in the Prime Timeline... NOW. ;)

Or their jumps and the spore drive technobabble altered their previous timeline into BEING the prime timeline now. Which goes hand in hand with the whole "we will be getting closer and closer to TOS later on, visually as well" statements.

I mean why would they bother with the whole "spore drive has to do with multiple universes and realities" thing in this manner if they didn't end up using it as a heavy plot device?

3 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

And it wouldn't exactly mean they lied about the show being set in the Prime Timeline either. Because they ARE in the Prime Timeline... NOW. ;)

Or their jumps and the spore drive technobabble altered their previous timeline into BEING the prime timeline now. Which goes hand in hand with the whole "we will be getting closer and closer to TOS later on, visually as well" statements.

I mean why would they bother with the whole "spore drive has to do with multiple universes and realities" thing in this manner if they didn't end up using it as a heavy plot device?

Exactly.   

Well we've seen the USS Defiant from the "prime" timeline now, and it looks VERY different to how it did on TOS and ENT.

38 minutes ago, Maltz said:

Well we've seen the USS Defiant from the "prime" timeline now, and it looks VERY different to how it did on TOS and ENT.

We did?
I saw a gridded schematic that looked exactly like the outline of a TOS Constitution class starship.   Did I miss something?

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

We did?
I saw a gridded schematic that looked exactly like the outline of a TOS Constitution class starship.   Did I miss something?

r-defiant.jpg

As you can see, the nacelle struts are different and it even looks like, I dare say, that they put weapons ports on them...or something.

The secondary hull looks a bit stretched out, and there are...divots in the saucer.

At this point though, after Sato having it for 100 years, I can't imagine it wasn't modified with the MU's own adaptations, even as it was reverse engineered.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: As I think about it, those divots almost suggest that a new superstructure was built AROUND the original frame.

Hmm....

Edited by prometheus59650

12 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

r-defiant.jpg

As you can see, the nacelle struts are different and it even looks like, I dare say, that they put weapons ports on them...or something.

The secondary hull looks a bit stretched out, and there are...divots in the saucer.

At this point though, after Sato having it for 100 years, I can't imagine it wasn't modified with the MU's own adaptations, even as it was reverse engineered.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: As I think about it, those divots almost suggest that a new superstructure was built AROUND the original frame.

Hmm....

A Discovery Writer did say that the intention is that the Mirror Universe modified the ship. 

11 hours ago, kenman said:

A Discovery Writer did say that the intention is that the Mirror Universe modified the ship. 

That makes sense.

To be honest, the schematic flashed onscreen so briefly, I didn’t notice.