Sehlat Vie

Warning to any and all US AT&T customers...

To fellow mods, this isn’t spam. 

And to any Americans on site who subscribe to AT&T?  I posted this on Twitter and I want to post it here as well:

WARNING:  Scammers pretending to be AT&T fraud alert center called my wife and I on our cells last night; caller ID # shows up as your own.  1st thing they do is ask for last 4 digits of your Social Security #.  

I told them my SS number was “F#@k” and “You.”  

DO NOT fall for this!   

GoodWastefulKodiakbear-max-1mb.gif

Never give that stuff out to anyone who calls you.

If you get an email for something that looks legit about passwords and whatnot, close the browser, reopen it and go there directly yourself.

This stuff probably seems obvious to most of us, I know.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Never give that stuff out to anyone who calls you.

If you get an email for something that looks legit about passwords and whatnot, close the browser, reopen it and go there directly yourself.

This stuff probably seems obvious to most of us, I know.

Absolutely right.

I usually ignore most solicitors anyway (usually with a colorful metaphor if they interrupt something) but the difference about this one is that they use your own number to try to convince you that they're legit.   But yes, same rules apply; never give personal or financial information to anyone on the phone or online.  Unless YOU are initiating contact with a business and that the business can be verified. 

My wife contacted AT&T customer service immediately afterward and they assured her that it wasn't their doing (which we already knew, of course). 

Friend of a friend got a personal favorite: an "FBI" pop-up that told him they detected illegal files on his PC (There were none and had never been any, of course) 

"Send us $250 and we'll make the warrant go away."

I'm glad that so many of these people that hatch this stuff are so ignorant as to how the country works. 

Edited by prometheus59650

I do not use AT&T for internet. Ha. Even so, other services apply.

The spammers also call or email about some bank account, so you allegedly give them your number. Watch out for that. Funny thing is half the banks they send from aren't even banks I have ev en dealt with. Your Wells Fargo is compromised! Guve us your codes! Uh, no.

Also there are callers who claim to be the FBI looking for you, or the IRS looking for you. These organizations will not call you with automated messages! These are also illegal and they can be tracked by those organizations.

Even more annoying, some guy in the UAE (or some other place, but mostly from there), will often call about 'your PC with viruses on it to be cleaned' and it's like, you really think I am going to fall for that. Yeah, sure, buddy, hack into the computer and change it. What? Umm, no!

One time I got a live one of these clowns and told them I was already tracking them to where they were. They immediately freaked and hung up. I wasn't. nother time, I told them I didn't have a PC. It was a Mac. Ha. It wasn't.

Or they figure out your name, and they call by first name only, and you think it's someone. Usually caller ID on phones stops all of this. You just look to see what the message origin is. Email is harder, but if you don't know the url, (and there are ways to tell this without opening it, you just don't open it.

Especially don't open anything making an offer to fix your PC. It will fix it all right.  You will have an ransom ware.

Or for some sort of alleged money transfer, usually to some weird overseas place. No relative is going to ask to wire you money.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

"If someone is trying to intimidate you on the phone, hang up and contact the proper authorities."

"I would say, never, ever give out your passwords. Just don't do it. Also you might not even want to check your bank stuff at a coffee shop, airport, hotel, or whatnot, as there could be someone there with a device that tracks that. Do that at home, where at least you can have a better firewall." 

Most of these fake spyware protection  ads are spyware, not for protection, and will mess up your computer.

Maybe because of that merger deal, they are trying to scare their customers at AT&T., but it just might make people not want to buy their stuff.

But I even received a spoof email over my iPhone for ComicCon two days ago. It was not from them. On the actual site, there was no offer. The spammer was just looking for passwords.

Well, if you are out of town and have to check your accounts, do so at a safe location.

Edited by Chimera82405

C.Lovett   
8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Friend of a friend got a personal favorite: an "FBI" pop-up that told him they detected illegal files on his PC (There were none and had never been any, of course) 

"Send us $250 and we'll make the warrant go away."

I'm glad that so many of these people that hatch this stuff are so ignorant as to how the country works. 

Those pop ups are nasty!, one of those things popped up on my computer back in 2013! (Got rid of it though but it could've been worse!)

1 hour ago, C.Lovett said:

Those pop ups are nasty!, one of those things popped up on my computer back in 2013! (Got rid of it though but it could've been worse!)

I know it. It's a freakout when that happens, and that's what they count on.

C.Lovett   
9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I know it. It's a freakout when that happens, and that's what they count on.

No kidding, this was me when it popped up

Image result for panic gif