GustavoLeao

STAR TREK CONTINUES - The Final Episode Online

I was okay with McKenna being there, even if it was akin to a Mary Sue. She is basically there because  she was someone the cast was with, and that's fine. Nice ending too. No, it's not enough for send Spock to Kohlinar because that's not the reason, as it was never put on film like that. This is a fan film. That is fine to retcon in a fan film.

What is a minor nit though is there were other ways, without offing her. The Romulan lady could have had a child, Saavik, and there was some other turmoil there, and closer to the TMP stuff. The fact that the counselor is really not canon means he had to have some in canon reason for the Kohlinar. Sure, in the story, that can be the reason. Saavik could not be Spock's child, of course, but there could have been a mention, and it would have neatly tied into TWOK later if she said something like that, or did.

They can choose another version of events if they want to. I thought more that he rushed end to the Espers, as a kind of TWOK finale, space battle, was kind of derivitive, but it hapoened.

How about this wild speculation. In the final battle, the Romulan commander lady is killed in a dramatic way, leaving to the discovery she had a child back on  the planet named Saavik, and that now with no heirs, Spock would have become some sort of godfather to her. Spock would have been about to leave, distraught, to take the Kohlinar, only to find out somewhere hjes godchild is out there, and reunification through her might be possible. Torn between two, and the lost of the counselor, that would be even more of a tearful goodbye.

1 hour ago, Chimera82405 said:

Nice ending too. No, it's not enough for send Spock to Kohlinar because that's not the reason, as it was never put on film like that. This is a fan film. That is fine to retcon in a fan film.

Why is it a retcon?  We were never told (in TMP) exactly why Spock decided to pursue the Kolinahr quest; an ambition he’d previously abandoned to join Starfleet (ST09).  

Maybe the death of his shipmates was so emotionally jarring to him that he wanted to excise those feelings forever.   But it was never stated on film exactly why he left Starfleet.    STC's reason works as any I could ever imagine.

I was okay with McKenna being there, even if it was akin to a Mary Sue.

Why was she a Mary Sue?  Did she save the ship every week?  Did we see her in command?  No.  She was just a judiciously placed new character who, for me, fit seamlessly within continuity as well.   It was also a smart tie-in with TNG’s future continuity by making her counselor role prototypical. 

Same with Barbara Smith.   She was established in “Where No Man...” and kinda disappeared after that.   Who’s to say she didn’t just work night shifts for awhile? 

She is basically there because  she was someone the cast was with, and that's fine.

Yes,  Michele Specht and star/producer Vic Mignogna are a couple, but it seems like her addition to the cast was given a lot more thought and care than just some producer just working his girlfriend into the show.   McKennah fit; and thanks to Specht’s warmth, she really came to life for me.   Say what you will, but I think the character was a smart addition.   Such additions (McKennah and the return of Smith) also served to give this ‘season’ of Star Trek its own unique identity; much as the addition of Chekov did for TOS S2.

How about this wild speculation. In the final battle, the Romulan commander lady is killed in a dramatic way, leaving to the discovery she had a child back on  the planet named Saavik, and that now with no heirs, Spock would have become some sort of godfather to her. Spock would have been about to leave, distraught, to take the Kohlinar, only to find out somewhere hjes godchild is out there, and reunification through her might be possible. Torn between two, and the lost of the counselor, that would be even more of a tearful goodbye.

Yeah, I suppose; but making her his godchild makes his pon farr with her in STIII feel vaguely icky and incestuous.   I’d rather leave it as it is, to be honest...

^^^^ Every. Word. Of that.

It was never put on film why James, "Never let them do anything that gets you out of that chair" Kirk took a promotion.

Mary Sue:

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment.[1] They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience. Sometimes, the name is reserved only for women, but more often the name is used for both sexes. A male can also be referred to as a Gary Stu, but more commonly either sex is called a Mary Sue. 

How was she that?

47 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment.[1] They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience. Sometimes, the name is reserved only for women, but more often the name is used for both sexes. A male can also be referred to as a Gary Stu, but more commonly either sex is called a Mary Sue. 

How was she that?

There were episodes where McKennah actually had very little to do, in fact (“Fairest Of Them All” “Embracing the Winds” come to mind right off).   What I liked about her is that we actually saw her doing what a counselor should be doing aboard a starship; something that poor Troi didn’t get to do nearly as often, or as effectively (esp when the very charismatic Guinan beamed aboard and essentially did what Troi should’ve been doing).

McKennah was a solid character, and not just someone’s girlfriend shoehorned into a series.   I stand by that statement.   

Having met Specht a few times (four or five now), she’s a vibrant and very funny lady.  Hell, if I were putting a show together I’d want to cast her; she lights up a room.  It could be that Vic Mignogna (who has great writing/creative instincts) simply realized his girlfriend could add a lot to this undertaking, and IMO he was wise to capitalize on that. 

12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

There were episodes where McKennah actually had very little to do, in fact (“Fairest Of Them All” “Embracing the Winds” come to mind right off).   What I liked about her is that we actually saw her doing what a counselor should be doing aboard a starship; something that poor Troi didn’t get to do nearly as often, or as effectively (esp when the very charismatic Guinan beamed aboard and essentially did what Troi should’ve been doing).

McKennah was a solid character, and not just someone’s girlfriend shoehorned into a series.   I stand by that statement.   

Having met Specht a few times (four or five now), she’s a vibrant and very funny lady.  Hell, if I were putting a show together I’d want to cast her; she lights up a room.  It could be that Vic Mignogna (who has great writing/creative instincts) simply realized his girlfriend could add a lot to this undertaking, and IMO he was wise to capitalize on that. 

She did. I have the same thoughts on that as I do as the occasionally proffered notion "Seven got focused on because she was dating Braga." Maybe. That might be a knock IF Ryan didn't have the chops to knock out of the park what she was given to do.

She did. The show improved measurably with Seven.

Was Specht Mignona's girlfriend? Yeah. So, what? So what when Continues wasn't a vehicle for her to the exclusion of the idea of completing the 5-year mission or when she did what she was given to do well? 

Edited by prometheus59650

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

She did. I have the same thoughts on that as I do as the occasionally proffered notion "Seven got focused on because she was dating Braga." Maybe. That might be a knock IF Ryan didn't have the chops to knock out of the park what she was given to do.

She did. The show improved measurably with Seven.

^ This.

In fact, most of my favorite episodes of that show were usually Seven-centric ones.

10 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Was Specht Mignona's girlfriend? Yeah. So, what? So what when Continues wasn't a vehicle for her to the exclusion of the idea of completing the 5-year mission or when she did what she was given to do well? 

If anything, her character gave Spock and Kirk a little bit more motivation for their transitions into their TMP selves. 

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

If anything, her character gave Spock and Kirk a little bit more motivation for their transitions into their TMP selves. 

She was vital. I get it now. Kirk? I wondered, but I could always see that maybe he just wanted to lay down his burdens. But I totally buy Spock being driven to his fate by McKennah.

Totally not buying into McKennah being a Mary Sue. Not even CLOSE to being a Mary Sue. She always felt like just another crew member in every episode I've watched.  I think that's what really worked about her. It shook up the dynamics a bit and made things more interesting, but she is NOT a Mary Sue.  

I am so tired of that term being slapped on every female character that happens to share screen time with the male leads. Let's face it, the original cast needed more women in it. Uhura and Nurse Chapel and the occasional guest star among at least 6 regular male cast members does not cut the mustard. NONE of the Trek shows (I'm not including Discovery here because I haven't actually done a head count on that, AND they've killed a number of characters) has come close to having equal female representation in its main cast, even Voyager with a female as Captain. Just look at the cast photos over the years.  

The fact they were able to introduce and re-introduce two female characters into a fan show and make them feel like they belonged and weren't Mary Sue is wonderful.

16 minutes ago, ashleytinger said:

Totally not buying into McKennah being a Mary Sue. Not even CLOSE to being a Mary Sue. She always felt like just another crew member in every episode I've watched.  I think that's what really worked about her. It shook up the dynamics a bit and made things more interesting, but she is NOT a Mary Sue.  

I am so tired of that term being slapped on every female character that happens to share screen time with the male leads. Let's face it, the original cast needed more women in it. Uhura and Nurse Chapel and the occasional guest star among at least 6 regular male cast members does not cut the mustard. NONE of the Trek shows (I'm not including Discovery here because I haven't actually done a head count on that, AND they've killed a number of characters) has come close to having equal female representation in its main cast, even Voyager with a female as Captain. Just look at the cast photos over the years.  

The fact they were able to introduce and re-introduce two female characters into a fan show and make them feel like they belonged and weren't Mary Sue is wonderful.

I really liked Kipleigh Brown’s Smith, too.

In “Where No Man...”  she was nothing more than a one-line walk on, but STC made her one of the family.   That was great.  And like McKennah, I was deeply moved by her sacrifice in the final episode.  It amazed me how much emotion I accrued for these new/revisited characters after only 11 episodes.   

But if Smith and McKennah were Mary Sues, they’d be saving the ship every week, or being expert on everything (helping Spock with his math, etc) or having everyone on the Enterprise fall madly in love with them, etc.    

Smith and McKennah were none of these things; they brought their skills to the table, just like any other character.   If Sulu pilots the Enterprise out of a dangerous ion storm, we don’t call him a Gary Stu, right?  Of course not.   Same thing if McKennah, as ship’s counselor, helps Kirk out of an emotional down spiral (“White Iris”), or Smith uses newfound powers to save her ship (just as Dr. Dehner helped save Kirk in “Where No Man...”).  

These are just Starfleet officers doing what Starfleet officers do. 

Big difference. 

On 11/30/2017 at 8:49 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

I really liked Kipleigh Brown’s Smith, too.

In “Where No Man...”  she was nothing more than a one-line walk on, but STC made her one of the family.   That was great.  And like McKennah, I was deeply moved by her sacrifice in the final episode.  It amazed me how much emotion I accrued for these new/revisited characters after only 11 episodes.   

But if Smith and McKennah were Mary Sues, they’d be saving the ship every week, or being expert on everything (helping Spock with his math, etc) or having everyone on the Enterprise fall madly in love with them, etc.    

Smith and McKennah were none of these things; they brought their skills to the table, just like any other character.   If Sulu pilots the Enterprise out of a dangerous ion storm, we don’t call him a Gary Stu, right?  Of course not.   Same thing if McKennah, as ship’s counselor, helps Kirk out of an emotional down spiral (“White Iris”), or Smith uses newfound powers to save her ship (just as Dr. Dehner helped save Kirk in “Where No Man...”).  

These are just Starfleet officers doing what Starfleet officers do. 

Big difference. 

EXACTLY

For those of you, like myself, who rather like physical media...Star Trek Continues has offered up this free Christmas gift for those with the tech know-how to take part (again, like myself).  They have provided the Disk images for both DVDs and Blu-rays so you can burn them yourself at home and put it on your shelf if you so choose (and I do!), so if you want the show on your shelf, they've provided everything you may need beyond the tech and software to implement it.  Free of charge.  It's now all within a few torrents (this is what that tech is SUPPOSED to be used for), as when they initially offered it up as a direct download it crashed their site pretty bad.  They've even offered up albums of their original scores, shooting scripts and high quality downloads of all their Episode posters (and a snazzy new one!)  It is all at the link below. 

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/downloads.html

As someone who really does love physical media, this was a treat, and a decent compromise, as they can't sell blu-rays of the show and it isn't cost effective to send em out free.  Luckily I have the tech and know-how to make this all happen on blu-ray, so I'm fairly happy. 

I just started watching these. Excellent. And the "Mirror Mirror" Episode,  where TOS left us...again, very very good.