GustavoLeao

STAR TREK CONTINUES - The Final Episode Online

STAR TREK CONTINUES, a fan production which began in 2013 aiming to depict the final two years of the Enterprise’s 5-year mission, concludes its 11-episode run with the second and concluding part of the finale.

“To Boldly Go: Part II”, features a story by science fiction writer Robert Sawyer, executive producer/star Vic Mignogna, and director James Kerwin, with a teleplay written by Sawyer and Kerwin. Nicola Bryant, Cas Anvar (The Expanse), and Amy Rydell guest star.

I saw it yesterday morning (and a repeat of it last night); I won't go into spoilers for a few days (per STC's request) but it is SOOOOO good!

No spoilers. I consider this fan film series canon for the 5th and final year of Star Trek TOS. They have done an expert job of making a passable to very good fan homage that both reflects the trippy 60s sets, and computer reel tape noises, and the modern elements, like better SFX but not distracting so, without making too obvious. Sure they don't really look much like the original cast, but neither do the JJ ones. It seems most of Continues, more than Phase II, (also head canon, parallel to seasons 4 and 5), hits the right marks, has the chemistry, and is a love letter to the fans.

It's cool they got to continue their fan series and weren't told to follow the weirder rules of the guidelines put down in 2016. They just did what they did.

kenman   

I loved it, the best fan film series there probably ever will be. They piced up where TOS left off, and made a show that felt very much like the wrapping up of that original era. I consider the Animated show to be Year Four, and this to be Year Five. As far as I am currently concerned, we have the Five Year Mission. And then movies wrap up the characters later careers nicely. 

Edited by kenman

This is Star Trek; I don’t care if it’s a fan film or not.  It’s 100% canon as far as I’m concerned.

In fact, I now regard TMP more as a sequel to STC “To Boldly Go” part 2...:thumbup:

maneth   

A wonderful finale, but I'll really miss this show.

I think that this finale beat all but a handful of TOS episodes in my book. Admittedly I need a rewatch, but I think the final two parter was more poignant than any TOS episode, with the sole exception of The City on the Edge of Forever.

4 minutes ago, maneth said:

A wonderful finale, but I'll really miss this show.

I think that this finale beat all but a handful of TOS episodes in my book. Admittedly I need a rewatch, but I think the final two parter was more poignant than any TOS episode, with the sole exception of The City on the Edge of Forever.

Agreed.

Since I consider STC to be my personal head-canon, I would absolutely rank it among the best of TOS.  Among the top five, at the very least.

Spoiler ban lifted, however; I will still give you warning; 

Spoilers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I felt like this was a little of a let down after the awesome part 1, but it was still good. It just felt like we didn't get to deal more with the Espers as it felt like it was set up in part 1. Even though it wasn't, it still felt a tad quick. 

The whole thing with Lt. Smith just felt wrong to me. Kind of like, gee, isn't that convenient.

And I feared since this series started that this would happen to McKenna, but it was nice to work in that what happened with her would be what set Spock on his quest to undergo Kolinahr pre-TMP. 

Sad to see the series end. If I were a rich man, I'd build a TMP Enterprise set and have them do a post TMP series.

SPOILERS!

John32070, I think that’s a fair point about the ESPers - after all the build-up, that plot thread was sidelined a little. I guess they had a lot to fit in to this final episode. 

That said, for me that’s a very minor nitpick. I loved this final episode. No... I adored it. I think Star Trek Continues is, simply, the best “fan” show ever made. It’s made by people who fully comprehend and are imbued with the spirit of Star Trek, and through determination, talent and the support of others... made these eleven episodes. As far as I’m concerned, STC is canon. Overall, it’s a stunning achievement that doesn’t just recall classic Star Trek but broadens it and adds all sorts of character layers and motivations which make greater sense of what is to come in TMP. It’s seamless, in so many ways. Am I heaping on the superlatives? Yeah, because it deserves it. The writing - the attention to concepts, beliefs, character continuity, philosophy - alone deserves applause. (I’’m especially looking at you, Kipleigh Brown, and the episode What Ships Are For.) The production is incredible - the recreation of the sets and style of lighting, direction, the SFX inserts that so lovingly recall the 60s look but expand upon it with all manner of cool angles and subtle flourishes. (Is that a contradiction in terms? I don’t know how they did it, but it all works.) Then there are the performances. Maybe this is where most fan productions fall down, where you become aware as a viewer that what you’re watching might’ve been tweaked and honed in a “professional” situation. But there’s little-to-no complaint here. In fact, with Vic Mignogna’s Kirk, I’d go so far as to say he encapsulates the character in these eleven episodes in a more complete way than any other fan reading of him and perhaps moreso than Chris Pine’s take in the three JJverse movies. This is Kirk, the one I grew up with; a man of deep integrity and compassion, who needs his friends and crew as much as they need him. 

That Mignogna is also the driving force of the show gives you a sense of the achievement here. All the other cast members also turn in fine performances - they really bring these characters to life again. Also, I’m just going to say - McKenna! Aw, man. That's got to be one of the most poignant scenes in all Star Trek. Hats off to Specht, Mignogna and especially Todd Haberkorn who gives us a Spock that we can believe is torn between his human and Vulcan selves. Now I know why he attempted Kolinahr.

Thank you, Star Trek Continues, and all involved, for bringing us some of the best Star Trek ever. I loved it, and it brought this old fan a lot of joy. 

You went boldly. Thank you. Peace and long life.  

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

SPOILERS!

John32070, I think that’s a fair point about the ESPers - after all the build-up, that plot thread was sidelined a little. I guess they had a lot to fit in to this final episode. 

That said, for me that’s a very minor nitpick. I loved this final episode. No... I adored it. I think Star Trek Continues is, simply, the best “fan” show ever made. It’s made by people who fully comprehend and are imbued with the spirit of Star Trek, and through determination, talent and the support of others... made these eleven episodes. As far as I’m concerned, STC is canon. Overall, it’s a stunning achievement that doesn’t just recall classic Star Trek but broadens it and adds all sorts of character layers and motivations which make greater sense of what is to come in TMP. It’s seamless, in so many ways. Am I heaping on the superlatives? Yeah, because it deserves it. The writing - the attention to concepts, beliefs, character continuity, philosophy - alone deserves applause. (I’’m especially looking at you, Kipleigh Brown, and the episode What Ships Are For.) The production is incredible - the recreation of the sets and style of lighting, direction, the SFX inserts that so lovingly recall the 60s look but expand upon it with all manner of cool angles and subtle flourishes. (Is that a contradiction in terms? I don’t know how they did it, but it all works.) Then there are the performances. Maybe this is where most fan productions fall down, where you become aware as a viewer that what you’re watching might’ve been tweaked and honed in a “professional” situation. But there’s little-to-no complaint here. In fact, with Vic Mignogna’s Kirk, I’d go so far as to say he encapsulates the character in these eleven episodes in a more complete way than any other fan reading of him and perhaps moreso than Chris Pine’s take in the three JJverse movies. This is Kirk, the one I grew up with; a man of deep integrity and compassion, who needs his friends and crew as much as they need him. 

That Mignogna is also the driving force of the show gives you a sense of the achievement here. All the other cast members also turn in fine performances - they really bring these characters to life again. Also, I’m just going to say - McKenna! Aw, man. That's got to be one of the most poignant scenes in all Star Trek. Hats off to Specht, Mignogna and especially Todd Haberkorn who gives us a Spock that we can believe is torn between his human and Vulcan selves. Now I know why he attempted Kolinahr.

Thank you, Star Trek Continues, and all involved, for bringing us some of the best Star Trek ever. I loved it, and it brought this old fan a lot of joy. 

^

This.   ALL of this.  

Mignogna really is the driving force behind this production; a combination of Roddenberry and Shatner (with a generous helping of Gene Coon & Harve Bennett thrown in). 

And regarding some fans’ complaint that some of the supporting character acting in STC can seem a bit ‘fan film’-ish?  I’d advise them to watch any given episode of TOS and I’m pretty sure they’ll find similarly dodgy performances in each episode; and that was a studio production.   Personally, I find the STC performances to be just fine.  Much of it is amazing, in fact.    To those who think acting is easy?  Try it sometime.  I dabbled in community theatre in my youth, and let me tell you; it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life so I sympathize. ;)

And McKenna broke my damn heart... she had the most moving sendoff since Spock in TWOK.   There was an ethereal quality to her final scene.   It’s as if she were not merely suspended in transport, but momentarily suspended between life and death itself; with half of her in each.  I won’t lie, I teared up.   It also adds a bit more motivation to Kirk so rapidly accepting a desk job; I’d always wondered about that.   Why would an action guy like Kirk so meekly accept a kick upstairs?  Good old fashioned survivor guilt.   And as we saw in “Obsession” Kirk is a man who tends to wallow in guilt sometimes.  That part of TMP now feels ‘complete’ to me. 

But so help me, f I see Michele Specht at another convention soon, I might need a tissue. :laugh: 

I also liked Lt. Smith’s sacrifice as well; and given that the character was also present during the events of “Where No Man...”  there was a certain logic and symmetry to what became of her in this episode.  Her brief moment of contact with Mitchell in that episode made her mutation in this one a lot more plausible.   

But what really amazed me is just HOW attached to these characters I’d become over a mere 11 episodes; that’s damn fine writing and acting to accomplish that in so little time.   They really were part of the extended ST family.    Totally canonical to me.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

SPOILERS!

Agreed on all counts.It always felt like I was watching TOS. I didn't roll my eyes. I didn't cringe, and, as someone who has sat through a LOT of fan work, that's the highest praise I can give it.

I realize that Paramount's new format rules pretty much preclude anyone from ever attempting something of this scale again, but that really is okay.

Because no one would ever come near it again even if they tried. Continues hefted the bar to the mountain top. 

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Agreed on all counts.It always felt like I was watching TOS. I didn't roll my eyes. I didn't cringe, and, as someone who has sat through a LOT of fan work, that's the highest praise I can give it.

I think I’ve actually rolled my eyes and cringe a lot more watching some of the worst of TOS (or most of VGR...hehe).  :laugh:

STC is actually a lot better than I think TOS would’ve been if it squeaked by with a 4th season.  Not kidding. 

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think I’ve actually rolled my eyes and cringe a lot more watching some of the worst of TOS (or most of VGR...hehe).  :laugh:

STC is actually a lot better than I think TOS would’ve been if it squeaked by with a 4th season.  Not kidding. 

Fair point. :) There are a lot of episodes of Voyager I've not gone back to since the first airing, and have no real need to do so.

Budget cuts in S3 of TOS already hurt it, and I expect those would have continued and the show would have been strangled to death.

So, I think I agree with that.

Continues was a labor of love in every frame. I'll have to binge the season now that it's complete.