Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

Christopher Plummer to replace Kevin Spacey

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Wow.

That’s an extraordinary step.  I just hope this doesn’t ever go backward; ‘erasing’ his appearances in other movies, TV shows, etc.  

For better or worse, there is the art and there is the artist.  


I understand and appreciate the reasons why they did this; I’m just worried that it might set a potentially dangerous precedent of ‘erasing’ art from disgraced artists. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Wow.

That’s an extraordinary step.  I just hope this doesn’t ever go backward; ‘erasing’ his appearances in other movies, TV shows, etc.  

For better or worse, there is the art and there is the artist.  


I understand and appreciate the reasons why they did this; I’m just worried that it might set a potentially dangerous precedent of ‘erasing’ art from disgraced artists. 

 

For me, it's kind of like Mel Gibson. There's before I knew and now. I can still watch Lethal Weapon and the like, but I lost interest in anything he put out after his drunken tirades against the police and his girlfriend.

I like Spacey in House of Cards and quite enjoy some of his earlier work like The Negotiator, but I know now that I'll never watch anything new with him in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scenario   

I wonder what people would feel about a digital version of Spacey in the last season of House of Cards. Just for a few scenes where they kill him off in the first new episode. I hate the fact that they finally put a woman in charge and then cancel the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I like Spacey in House of Cards and quite enjoy some of his earlier work like The Negotiator, but I know now that I'll never watch anything new with him in it.

I’m pretty sure none of us will ever see anything new with him again.  Sounds like his career is over.

13 hours ago, scenario said:

I wonder what people would feel about a digital version of Spacey in the last season of House of Cards. Just for a few scenes where they kill him off in the first new episode. I hate the fact that they finally put a woman in charge and then cancel the show.

For me, that’s not really addressing the problem; a digital image of Spacey is still the image of an accused sexual predator.

A synthetic facsimile of an offender is still offensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, scenario said:

I wonder what people would feel about a digital version of Spacey in the last season of House of Cards. Just for a few scenes where they kill him off in the first new episode. I hate the fact that they finally put a woman in charge and then cancel the show. 

Show the back of his head as he shoots himself.

 

Make the rest of the season her running things and uncovering secrets about him even she couldn't have imagined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Make the rest of the season her running things and uncovering secrets about him even she couldn't have imagined.

I actually find the notion of Frank Underwood taking his own life to be both in-character and a viable option going forward for the series.

And a Claire-centric show would completely kick ass.  She was excellent in both Wonder Woman and Blade Runner 2049.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I actually find the notion of Frank Underwood taking his own life to be both in-character and a viable option going forward for the series.

And a Claire-centric show would completely kick ass.  She was excellent in both Wonder Woman and Blade Runner 2049.

Robin Wright is seriously underrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’m pretty sure none of us will ever see anything new with him again.  Sounds like his career is over.

Oh, I think that's probably true, but I wouldn't put it past him to try to slink back into the light in ten years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Oh, I think that's probably true, but I wouldn't put it past him to try to slink back into the light in ten years.

Sad thing is, a part of me is almost (repeat: almost) okay with him trying.  He’s one of the most gifted actors of this century.  I hate that he did this, and I hate the consequences. 

Same thing with Louis C.K., one of my favorite comedians ever (right up there with George Carlin & Richard Pryor) and now?  It’s all over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Sad thing is, a part of me is almost (repeat: almost) okay with him trying.  He’s one of the most gifted actors of this century.  I hate that he did this, and I hate the consequences. 

He really is. He really is...and, you know, I'd give him a shot at redemption if he spent the next decade in genuine, public, honest to God, contrition. Where he advocates for the people he abused and the abused. Where he will apologize every time it comes up and never once sigh or look like it's a chore.

If he could do that for a decade or so, I could see my way clear to giving him a chance.

But he's not going to do that. He's chucked out a quick and dirty "Sorry," thrown out, "I'm gay" like a shield, and ran off to a $45K a day "rehab center" in AZ where Weinstein is where he's not inconvenienced  enough to have to give up his phone and he can learn power yoga.

He's gonna hide for a year and then try an apology tour.

And I'm not gonna reward that, and I'll wager most people aren't either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

He really is. He really is...and, you know, I'd give him a shot at redemption if he spent the next decade in genuine, public, honest to God, contrition. Where he advocates for the people he abused and the abused. Where he will apologize every time it comes up and never once sigh or look like it's a chore.

If he could do that for a decade or so, I could see my way clear to giving him a chance.

But he's not going to do that. He's chucked out a quick and dirty "Sorry," thrown out, "I'm gay" like a shield, and ran off to a $45K a day "rehab center" in AZ where Weinstein is where he's not inconvenienced  enough to have to give up his phone and he can learn power yoga.

He's gonna hide for a year and then try an apology tour.

And I'm not gonna reward that, and I'll wager most people aren't either. 

Afraid you're right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scenario   
1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

He really is. He really is...and, you know, I'd give him a shot at redemption if he spent the next decade in genuine, public, honest to God, contrition. Where he advocates for the people he abused and the abused. Where he will apologize every time it comes up and never once sigh or look like it's a chore.

If he could do that for a decade or so, I could see my way clear to giving him a chance.

But he's not going to do that. He's chucked out a quick and dirty "Sorry," thrown out, "I'm gay" like a shield, and ran off to a $45K a day "rehab center" in AZ where Weinstein is where he's not inconvenienced  enough to have to give up his phone and he can learn power yoga.

He's gonna hide for a year and then try an apology tour.

And I'm not gonna reward that, and I'll wager most people aren't either. 

I really wish there was a way to rehabilitate him. He is a really gifted actor and I'll miss him. But he just went too far for too long. He hurt too many people. It went past harassment and into multiple sexual assaults. And some of his victims were children.  If he had just asked every adult who he was sexually attracted to to have sex with him to the point that it was harassment, he might be able to get treatment and apologize many, many times and gradually work his way back. But his crimes were much to severe to go that route.

Now Louis C.K. is a little different in my mind. From the reports I've read, there were no children involved. He also never touched his victims. It seemed more like sexual harassment than full on sexual assault. With him, extensive treatment and a long apology tour may work to salvage some of his career. The problem is that to do it right will take years and a comedian whose out of the public eye for 4 or 5 years is forgotten. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, scenario said:

Now Louis C.K. is a little different in my mind. From the reports I've read, there were no children involved. He also never touched his victims. It seemed more like sexual harassment than full on sexual assault. With him, extensive treatment and a long apology tour may work to salvage some of his career. The problem is that to do it right will take years and a comedian whose out of the public eye for 4 or 5 years is forgotten. 

Well, Louis is different in some respects that gives him a path forward.

I really don't see a lot of difference in terms of sexual assault. No, he didn't penetrate them, but using his power over them or admiration for him to keep them there while he...worked himself is an appalling assault and it's what he did for decades. This isn't just a spate of largely isolated incidents. Indeed, he's used his routines as sort of an absolution, telling what are now clearly at least semi-autobiographical stories and capped it off with, basically, we're men, right?

His path forward comes in the facts that he seems to have owned it and owned it quickly. He's not throwing out the Spacey, "I apologize, but I don't remember because I was drunk." If he stays on that path and honest, he could move forward, but I doubt he'll ever be where he was yesterday again.

And...if it costs him his career? He had what he considered "fun" for years, and if his career is the toll for that, I'm mostly not sorry for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this