Sign in to follow this  
Mutai Sho-Rin

Another Visual from Another Show

When discovery goes Black Alert and engages the spore drive, the outer hull ring rotates counter-clockwise like a turntable then the whole ship rotates rapidly around its longitudinal axis.  Anybody else see a similarity to the machine in Contact?  Those rings had masses circling the circumference, then the rings themselves began to spin as well.  Interesting similarity IMHO.

1 hour ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

When discovery goes Black Alert and engages the spore drive, the outer hull ring rotates counter-clockwise like a turntable then the whole ship rotates rapidly around its longitudinal axis.  Anybody else see a similarity to the machine in Contact?  Those rings had masses circling the circumference, then the rings themselves began to spin as well.  Interesting similarity IMHO.

It's okay to go, it's okay to go....:laugh:

Sorry, I love "Contact."  That was the movie my wife and I saw on our first date 20 years ago.  And yes, I noticed that.  Wonder if it's something unique to that class or will other ships do the ring thing (hehe)?

Contact doesn't get a lot of love, but I think it's great. Look, if Vie likes it, it's likely I will too. Our tastes were manufactured in closely aligned mirror universes.

That device in Contact always reminded me of Joe 90's intelligence-expanding chair, too.

Maybe Discovery also has one of those onboard? Okay, that's a stretch...

10 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Contact doesn't get a lot of love, but I think it's great. Look, if Vie likes it, it's likely I will too. Our tastes were manufactured in closely aligned mirror universes.

That device in Contact always reminded me of Joe 90's intelligence-expanding chair, too.

Maybe Discovery also has one of those onboard? Okay, that's a stretch...

OMG, it does!!  
I’m thinking that was the direct inspiration for the pod in “Contact.” 

Carl Sagan’s novel had a transport that held a multi-person crew (6 or 7 people, IIRC); the movie’s single-occupant version definitely looks inspired by Joe 99. 

12 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Look, if Vie likes it, it's likely I will too. Our tastes were manufactured in closely aligned mirror universes.

My brother from another mother.  :laugh:

I wonder if they’ll tie the spore drive with Contact’s wormhole network?  :P

9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

OMG, it does!!  
I’m thinking that was the direct inspiration for the pod in “Contact.” 

It’s funny the way these design motifs reappear and new versions are riffed upon the old. 

Carl Sagan’s novel had a transport that held a multi-person crew (6 or 7 people, IIRC); the movie’s single-occupant version definitely looks inspired by Joe 99. 

It made sense that they made it a single occupancy craft in the movie, for many dramatic reasons. Jodie Foster’s never better than as Ellie Arroway in those scenes. 

My brother from another mother.  :laugh:

I wonder if they’ll tie the spore drive with Contact’s wormhole network?  :P

Someone watched Contact after drinking some mushroom tea and made a connection. I mean, a starship powered by hallucinogenic mushrooms? Sorry, I mean microscopic quantum spores. :rolleyes: Okay... :biggrin:   

17 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Someone watched Contact after drinking some mushroom tea and made a connection. I mean, a starship powered by hallucinogenic mushrooms? Sorry, I mean microscopic quantum spores. :rolleyes: Okay... :biggrin:   

Still waiting for my pumpkin-spice starship...:P

Mutai made a good point recently about the similarities between Disco’s spore drive and the ‘spice’ melange that folded space in “Dune.”   Wouldn’t it be something if true FTL drives came from something organic like that?   In all of the equations of Alcubierre and other physicists who propose some kind of warp drive, there’s always the ‘element X’; usually (generically) referred to as ‘exotic matter.’  

What if this ‘exotic matter’ weren’t some kind of subspace McGuffin, but rather a simple panspermic spore or spice?   Wouldn’t that be interesting...

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Still waiting for my pumpkin-spice starship...:P

Mutai made a good point recently about the similarities between Disco’s spore drive and the ‘spice’ melange that folded space in “Dune.”   Wouldn’t it be something if true FTL drives came from something organic like that?   In all of the equations of Alcubierre and other physicists who propose some kind of warp drive, there’s always the ‘element X’; usually (generically) referred to as ‘exotic matter.’  

What if this ‘exotic matter’ weren’t some kind of subspace McGuffin, but rather a simple panspermic spore or spice?   Wouldn’t that be interesting...

It would be very cool. But as humankind's effect on that natural world is akin to that of an extinction event, we may find that we're missing that vital natural component when we get around to building a warp drive. [Cynical] That would be ironic, wouldn't it? We build a thing to help us escape our planetary cradle, but find that the vital ingredient is unavailable to us because it's extinct.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

It would be very cool. But as humankind's effect on that natural world is akin to that of an extinction event, we may find that we're missing that vital natural component when we get around to building a warp drive. [Cynical] That would be ironic, wouldn't it? We build a thing to help us escape our planetary cradle, but find that the vital ingredient is unavailable to us because it's extinct.

Ironic and tragic. 

But I like Disco’s idea (and Herbert’s in Dune) that perhaps it’s something funky and organic that gets us to the stars, and not something exotic like forced quantum singularities, or dark matter, or zero point vacuum energy, etc.   It might be something as homegrown as mushrooms under our own feet...

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Ironic and tragic. 

But I like Disco’s idea (and Herbert’s in Dune) that perhaps it’s something funky and organic that gets us to the stars, and not something exotic like forced quantum singularities, or dark matter, or zero point vacuum energy, etc.   It might be something as homegrown as mushrooms under our own feet...

Well, organic is warm. Those other things sound cold, theoretical, as yet unanimated by anything living. I like the idea, too.

If this ever happens - that kind of travel across the universe, I mean - I agree with you. I think it's far more likely that we do it through something that's actually already available to us but that we can't yet "see." A means of shifting our consciousnesses somehow, or a discovery in science that advances perceptual abilities so that we can do that "Tardigrade" thing that Stamets has obviously got some insight into...! Groovy, man...

1 minute ago, Robin Bland said:

Well, organic is warm. Those other things sound cold, theoretical, as yet unanimated by anything living. I like the idea, too.

If this ever happens - that kind of travel across the universe, I mean - I agree with you. I think it's far more likely that we do it through something that's actually already available to us but that we can't yet "see." A means of shifting our consciousnesses somehow, or a discovery in science that advances perceptual abilities so that we can do that "Tardigrade" thing that Stamets has obviously got some insight into...! Groovy, man...

I'm old enough to remember a time when propulsion was all about rockets; bigger, better, more thrust, nuclear-powered ones someday, etc.  Now?  We have electric propulsion, ion propulsion and even solar sails (thanks to the good folks at The Planetary Society).  Elegant, and almost deceptively simple.  They still use chemical rockets to get into space, but once there?  They use sunlight or electricity.  

I wouldn't be at all surprised (though I can't yet see it) if the next great advances in space travel come from something very unexpected.  It may not be crazy-powerful (at first), but it might be something that is easily reproducible, or is found in abundance on other planets (like the free hydrogren and helium molecules that drift between the stars).

nepr   
3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised (though I can't yet see it) if the next great advances in space travel come from something very unexpected.

I think there's still hope that the LHC, even though it really can't produce anywhere near the energy needed to get much beyond the Higgs Boson, will pop-up something that will come to the rescue.  I get the impression, though, that this is really a rather forlorn hope for particle physicists and cosmologists.  There seems to be a growing suspicion that the concept of space/time will have to go (skip to 15:00 or so) if there's going to be any breakthrough in the near-to-mid timeline.  The related principle of locality/causality, so dear to Einstien, seems also in danger.  In short, we may be approaching a situation where all bets are, indeed, off.

I wish Disco had focused more on Stamets's, "biology is physics", angle.  Here's an interesting tidbit, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Habitable epoch

ca. 10-17 million years after the Big Bang

The "Dark Ages" span a period during which the temperature of cosmic background radiation cooled from some 4000 K down to about 60 K. The background temperature was between 373 K and 273 K, allowing the possibility of liquid water, during a period of about 6.6 million years, from about 10 to 17 million after the Big Bang (redshift 137–100). Loeb (2014) speculated that primitive life might in principle have appeared during this window, which he called "the Habitable Epoch of the Early Universe".[25][26][27]

Just to be clear, we're talking about what would eventually become inter-galactic space, here!  There really is no telling...

Edited by nepr
Fix youtube link