Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

EW on Discovery (and other reviews worth posting)

To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi:

Gatekeepers...you will never find a more wretched hive of blowhards and nuisances.  We must be cautious.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

...Joking aside, yeah, it's a great piece. I guess it touches on a wider problem in our supposedly civilized society - those that wish to be "right," to "win" over all other considerations, especailly other people's feelings or points of view. Those that are so insecure in their identities that the only way they can affirm their existence is by belittling or bullying others.

And that you so invest your personal identity into a television show that it must be that one thing and if it deviates from my perception, it's, in a real sense, the end of my world.

5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

And that you so invest your personal identity into a television show that it must be that one thing and if it deviates from my perception, it's, in a real sense, the end of my world.

6 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi:

Gatekeepers...you will never find a more wretched hive of blowhards and nuisances.  We must be cautious.

Strange isn't it...? Star Trek is all about remaining open-minded, about seeking out new worldviews, new ideas... and yet...

14 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Strange isn't it...? Star Trek is all about remaining open-minded, about seeking out new worldviews, new ideas... and yet...

Yeah, so much for that whole IDIC thing, right?

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, so much for that whole IDIC thing, right?

That was just to sell pins. You know that, right? :P

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

That was just to sell pins. You know that, right? :P

Ah, yes... that treasure trove of Trek that was Lincoln Enterprises. :P

13 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Fits my theory, which is pretty much everywhere these days (including the article).  You’re welcome, internet. :laugh: :giggle:

I think at this point, it’s more about how this plays out than any element of surprise. This ad campaign feels like an attempt to ameliorate some of the Internet derision about how little of a “surprise” this could elicit.