Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

EW on Discovery (and other reviews worth posting)

8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

This is rapidly turning into another Andy Kaufman and Tony Clifton... :giggle:

tony-clifton-and-andy-kaufman-at-carnegi

I’m still holding out for twists that we’ve haven't seen coming. I’ve deliberately not read any possible spoilers about the mid-season finale so I can just enjoy it for whatever it turns out to be. 

Not a repeat of Voyager, I hope. And if Tyler = Voq, then I’m hoping that it’s your Manchuria Candidate scenario and we get to keep him as a character and he’s not unceremoniously offed. 

22 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I’m still holding out for twists that we’ve haven't seen coming. I’ve deliberately not read any possible spoilers about the mid-season finale so I can just enjoy it for whatever it turns out to be. 

Not a repeat of Voyager, I hope. And if Tyler = Voq, then I’m hoping that it’s your Manchuria Candidate scenario and we get to keep him as a character and he’s not unceremoniously offed. 

Hoping the same.

He's a good character.  

******** POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD *********

And it'd be an interesting and unique conceit for this show if Worf was not the first Klingon to serve in  Starfleet.  And given Lorca's affection for Tyler, he may decide that he's too valuable to just throw away.  We've seen Lorca accept one Starfleet pariah into his crew, so it'd be very much in keeping for him to hide the truth about another.  And Lorca's crew have already broken the law with genetic manipulation as well (a transgression that is turning the war in Starfleet's favor).  

And what if Tyler truly decides he wants to voluntarily defect to the humans after all?   In his culture, he was an outcast because of his skin (when he was the albino Voq).  He could go back to life as part of an undesirable caste, or stay in Starfleet as a war hero.  Hmm...tough choice, right?  It also explains why Voq's lover L'Rell wanted to defect; she reads the tea leaves regarding her situation serving under Kol, and she simply misses Voq.

It all adds up too well, IMO.

On 11/11/2017 at 7:52 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Hoping the same.

He's a good character.  

******** POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD *********

And it'd be an interesting and unique conceit for this show if Worf was not the first Klingon to serve in  Starfleet.  And given Lorca's affection for Tyler, he may decide that he's too valuable to just throw away.  We've seen Lorca accept one Starfleet pariah into his crew, so it'd be very much in keeping for him to hide the truth about another.  And Lorca's crew have already broken the law with genetic manipulation as well (a transgression that is turning the war in Starfleet's favor).  

And what if Tyler truly decides he wants to voluntarily defect to the humans after all?   In his culture, he was an outcast because of his skin (when he was the albino Voq).  He could go back to life as part of an undesirable caste, or stay in Starfleet as a war hero.  Hmm...tough choice, right?  It also explains why Voq's lover L'Rell wanted to defect; she reads the tea leaves regarding her situation serving under Kol, and she simply misses Voq.

It all adds up too well, IMO.

They could tie it up and make it work, though I can imagine a lot of fans of previously established lore banging their heads against that a bit. (Again, all could've been avoided by not making it a prequel, but I suppose we should stop going on about that now and just let Discovery be what it’ll be). 

39 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

They could tie it up and make it work, though I can imagine a lot of fans of previously established lore banging their heads against that a bit. (Again, all could've been avoided by not making it a prequel, but I suppose we should stop going on about that now and just let Discovery be what it’ll be). 

I agree that issues with Disco’s tech (hehe...discotheque :giggle:) and other issues (uniforms, etc) could’ve easily been avoided by making it a sequel to VGR. But as you say, what’s done is done.  

And I can certainly understand the canonites having major issues with Ash technically beating ‘first’ Klingon-in-Starfleet Worf to the finish line by 100 years, but if no one ever knew that Ash was a Klingon...?  I still think it could work.   

Lorca (and maybe some in Disco’s crew) could’ve kept it as their little ‘secret’...

Everything she doesn't like is just so "end of the world for her" that it makes even her valid points hard to take seriously.

20 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Everything she doesn't like is just so "end of the world for her" that it makes even her valid points hard to take seriously.

:biggrin: Okay, genuine LOL

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

This.

Robin had a good point though; she really knows how to keep her readers engrossed.  Her hyperbole keeps the clicks coming, I guess...;)

11 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Is she STILL at it...?

tumblr_m3tqv7endK1r81219o1_250.gif

She is, but SHOCK, HORROR...

https://twitter.com/k_trendacosta/status/930151345495015

...She's leaving Io9!

But she also leaves us with this thought - which, considering how Stamets is pretty much one of the standout characters on Discovery, seems like a very fair assessment:

...and also renders all her previous arguments moot. Sorta. Is a tweet worth a whole io9 review? Maybe not.

I'm putting this link to Monique Jones' latest review here, as she tends to err on the side of the positive...

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-into-the-forest-i-go-review/

Didn’t stop her posting this sneering piece today. Just read the last line.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/sonequa-martin-green-thinks-discoverys-burnham-will-be-1820507421

Food for thought on S2:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/14/star-trek-discovery-producer-and-sonequa-martin-green-tease-the-big-questions-for-season-2-7076988/

Actually kind of disappointed by that. Feels like they’re narrowing narrative options rather than expanding them. Again. For Q’s sake, go boldly. 

Something completely different:

https://www.tor.com/2017/11/16/star-trek-discovery-continues-science-fictions-role-in-discussing-male-sexual-assault/

9 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

First, unless Burnam saves the multiverse, Tilly makes captain before she does.

Second, the sexual assault piece was quite good.

Agreed on both.

I would actually enjoy the idea of Tilly making captain with with her ‘old friend and ex-roomie’ Burnham serving as her first officer.   Burnham has said that being a first officer is who she is; and Tilly has her sights on captain.  It’d be a bit like Janeway’s relationship with the older Tuvok, or even Kirk with Bones.   Tilly has the ambition and Burnham has the wisdom to provide much-needed guidance for her younger captain.  It could totally work.

Wouldn’t it be interesting to end the series in Kirk’s era, with an older, wiser Tilly (not too much of a stretch since the actress is a bit older than she seems onscreen) on the bridge with Burnham at her side?  I could definitely see that as a coda to the series someday...