Jfrza

Is Lorca part of Section 31?????

Jfrza   

There were a few hints that Lorca could be part of Section 31.  When the scene that shows him inside his readyroom pans away, you can clearly see a 3 and a 1 etched underneath his windows, any thoughts/theories/conclusions????

I didn't see that. I'll have to watch the ep again. I think that considering his rather vague somewhat devious nature makes me think he is Section 31. 

Anybody has a screen cap of that?

But I must admit I'd rather not see too much of section 31. They became Trek's easy answer for any remotely malicious or aggressive Human. 

Could be... 31 is part of the ship’s registry number; it could also...

***** BIG POTENTIAL SPOILER *****

... explain both the ship’s ultra-advanced technology and the reason why their missions be not be remembered in the future (?).

16 minutes ago, Tupperfan said:

But I must admit I'd rather not see too much of section 31. They became Trek's easy answer for any remotely malicious or aggressive Human. 

Agreed. I think there's a strong hint that he's part of some type of group with that triangle tattoo(if I'm not mistaken). 

I do like the thought of having a captain that's not a goody two shoes. Not knocking the Picards of the Trek universe. It's just that his motivations are more human. 

Edited by Nombrecomun

Locutus   
1 hour ago, Tupperfan said:

I would also agree.  It’s much the same reason I don’t want 

...POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT ...

the Mirror Universe to play a prominent role in the plot.  A “Mirror Lorca” explanation would be Trek’s other easy answer for explaining malicious and aggressive humans.  It would be a much more impactful story if the writers are trying to say something about how past trauma can shape a person’s conduct and outlook on life.

Edited by Locutus

6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

HE'S PART OF SECTION 31 FROM THE MIRRORVERSE, WHO GO AROUND TRYING TO DO NICE THINGS

In the mirror-verse, S31 is like our Peace Corps...:laugh:

Sheesh! Lorca is ALREADY trying to do nice things, people just can't seem to appreciate them.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

I mean he got rid of a dangerously deranged admiral who was ready to relieve him of command when he's the one who can win the war for the Federation here... :P

On a more serious note... yes, it's entirely possible that he has some connection with Section 31, although part of me also thinks this would just be TOO obvious on the part of the writers.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Sheesh! Lorca is ALREADY trying to do nice things, people just can't seem to appreciate them.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

I mean he got rid of a dangerously deranged admiral who was ready to relieve him of command when he's the one who can win the war for the Federation here... :P

On a more serious note... yes, it's entirely possible that he has some connection with Section 31, although part of me also thinks this would just be TOO obvious on the part of the writers.

And making him a rogue mirror universe guy would be too simplistic; as if ALL the negative people in the universe have to be from the mirror verse.   I mean, come on... there was starship Capt. Ron Tracey (“Omega Glory”); he was a twisted piece of work, and 100% home grown.   And about a billion evil admirals in TNG and the movies (TNG and Kelvinverse).  

So I think we can safely ditch the theory about Lorca being a mirror universe interloper of some kind.

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

And making him a rogue mirror universe guy would be too simplistic; as if ALL the negative people in the universe have to be from the mirror verse.   I mean, come on... there was starship Capt. Ron Tracey (“Omega Glory”); he was a twisted piece of work, and 100% home grown.   And about a billion evil admirals in TNG and the movies (TNG and Kelvinverse).  

So I think we can safely ditch the theory about Lorca being a mirror universe interloper of some kind.

I'm also not sure what purpose it would serve. I mean his instinct would be to return to the Mirror Universe with a few PADDs with vital information so that the Terran Empire can copy the spore drive technology to conquer more worlds. It wouldn't make much sense for him to drive the Discovery around in the "nice" universe and to increase the risk of getting caught with each passing day. I dunno. But I do get why some people think he's from the Mirror Universe. He would fit in there.

And yeah, people forget that the "nice" Trek universe has its not-so-wonderful people as well. Lorca is basically a combination of Benjamin Maxwell, Edward Jellico and all the badmirals TNG had. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm also not sure what purpose it would serve. I mean his instinct would be to return to the Mirror Universe with a few PADDs with vital information so that the Terran Empire can copy the spore drive technology to conquer more worlds. It wouldn't make much sense for him to drive the Discovery around in the "nice" universe and to increase the risk of getting caught with each passing day. I dunno. But I do get why some people think he's from the Mirror Universe. He would fit in there.

And yeah, people forget that the "nice" Trek universe has its not-so-wonderful people as well. Lorca is basically a combination of Benjamin Maxwell, Edward Jellico and all the badmirals TNG had. :laugh:

With more than a dash of J.R. Ewing thrown in for good measure...;)

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

With more than a dash of J.R. Ewing thrown in for good measure...;)

I'm waiting for some Alexis Carrington-Colby as well. The glitter-ish t-shirt at the end of the last episode was a good start. :P

As are his facial expressions.

tumblr_oyc813njQR1tkldt9o1_500.gif

His FACE :laugh:

Some people are claiming he "is going to invent Section 31" or "create the Mirror Universe" and I'm like "that makes no sense, did you people even watch ENT... oh wait you probably didn't" :laugh:

9 hours ago, Locutus said:

I would also agree.  It’s much the same reason I don’t want 

...POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT ...

the Mirror Universe to play a prominent role in the plot.  A “Mirror Lorca” explanation would be Trek’s other easy answer for explaining malicious and aggressive humans.  It would be a much more impactful story if the writers are trying to say something about how past trauma can shape a person’s conduct and outlook on life.

Hell, maybe the Mirror Universe sets Lorca on a slightly less deranged path.

He sees how far off the deep end he COULD go.

Locutus   
5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS 

5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Hell, maybe the Mirror Universe sets Lorca on a slightly less deranged path.

He sees how far off the deep end he COULD go.

That, at least, would be a good use of the Mirror Universe ... a wake-up call for Lorca!  They better have some good reason for going there with the story.  I got the impression Kirk’s crew was the first to encounter it.  

Edited by Locutus

5 minutes ago, Locutus said:

That, at least, would be a good use of the Mirror Universe ... a wake-up call for Lorca!  They better have some good reason for going there with the story.  I got the impression Kirk’s crew was the first to encounter it.  

DS9 certainly implies so. Intendant Kira speaks of Kirk alone.

Now, the only reason I can think of to say that Discovery didn't get mentioned was simply perhaps because Discovery doesn't have a lasting impact, whereas Kirk was essentially the catalyst for a revolution.

Edited by prometheus59650

8 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Some people are claiming he "is going to invent Section 31" or "create the Mirror Universe" and I'm like "that makes no sense, did you people even watch ENT... oh wait you probably didn't" :laugh:

LOL. Clearly not.

It's part of the Fed Charter and Reed belonged to it.

The end.

1 hour ago, Locutus said:

I got the impression Kirk’s crew was the first to encounter it.  

Unless....Lorca’s crew encountered it on a mission that was, in Kirk’s time 10 years later, still classified (?).

S31 would actually explain a LOT of Discovery; both the series’ nature and some of the seemingly higher tech of this ‘most advanced starship in the fleet.’