Sign in to follow this  
Nombrecomun

Blade Runner 2049 - SPOILERS!!!!

Recommended Posts

I haven't seen a thread for this so I thought I'd create one.

 

Just came back from watching this and I'm very happy with it. It was refreshing to watch a scifi movie. Not an action movie in a scifi setting but an actual scifi story...with some action sequences. 

My list of "likes""

-Must be seen on the big screen. Lovely visuals. I didn't see it in 3D but I figure that must have been fun as well. 

-The 'soundscape' for lack of a better term, really goes along with the movie; reminiscent of the original. More to do with the impact of volume(and it was loud at times) to accentuate tension.

-Step aside Terminators. Luv's got you beat. What a strong performance with all kinds of character emotions running rampant. Under orders to do certain things but you can't be quite certain she's happy to go along with that ride. As I looked at the actor's names after the movie I really wished Luv was Ana De Armas. Maybe too 'on the nose' but that would have been hilarious. 

-Speaking of Ana De Armas....YOWZER!!! And still packed a wallop from an emotional point. I really wished we could see into the weeds of Joi which is very similar to Samantha in Her but with a body. Was the emotion real or just programming? It plays as genuine but you never know. 

-Anyone notice the Los Angeles Waste Terminal Area....San Diego District. I got a kick out of that. What a fun dis to your neighbor city. 

-If I'm not mistaken they were ambiguous with Deckard's true nature or did I miss something?

 

Great movie. Glad I saw it in the big screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nombrecomun said:

I haven't seen a thread for this so I thought I'd create one.

 

Just came back from watching this and I'm very happy with it. It was refreshing to watch a scifi movie. Not an action movie in a scifi setting but an actual scifi story...with some action sequences. 

My list of "likes""

-Must be seen on the big screen. Lovely visuals. I didn't see it in 3D but I figure that must have been fun as well. 

-The 'soundscape' for lack of a better term, really goes along with the movie; reminiscent of the original. More to do with the impact of volume(and it was loud at times) to accentuate tension.

-Step aside Terminators. Luv's got you beat. What a strong performance with all kinds of character emotions running rampant. Under orders to do certain things but you can't be quite certain she's happy to go along with that ride. As I looked at the actor's names after the movie I really wished Luv was Ana De Armas. Maybe too 'on the nose' but that would have been hilarious. 

-Speaking of Ana De Armas....YOWZER!!! And still packed a wallop from an emotional point. I really wished we could see into the weeds of Joi which is very similar to Samantha in Her but with a body. Was the emotion real or just programming? It plays as genuine but you never know. 

-Anyone notice the Los Angeles Waste Terminal Area....San Diego District. I got a kick out of that. What a fun dis to your neighbor city. 

-If I'm not mistaken they were ambiguous with Deckard's true nature or did I miss something?

 

Great movie. Glad I saw it in the big screen. 

Definitely one for the big screen.
I loved it; more so than the first movie, and the first one ranks among my all-time favorite movies.

My big fat blog entry that I wrote right after I saw it:

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/10/09/a-sequel-thats-more-blade-runner-than-blade-runner/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, agreed with everything you wrote. I'll blaspheme a bit myself in that this movie is a 'sequel'  but to me it kinda stands on its own.

Absolutely agreed on no weak performance or character here. One thing to add is that there were a lot of female actresses in the movie. Scifi tends to suffer from 'one galaxy girl' syndrome(Princess Leia for example). I really enjoyed the scene with Luv and the captain. But then to think that it's two females on screen delivering a hell of a scene makes me love it even more. Even the catty comment by the repliprostitute to holo girl was a cool moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

I'll blaspheme a bit myself in that this movie is a 'sequel'  but to me it kinda stands on its own.

You could be utterly unfamiliar with the BR universe and this movie still works.

9 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

Absolutely agreed on no weak performance or character here. One thing to add is that there were a lot of female actresses in the movie. Scifi tends to suffer from 'one galaxy girl' syndrome(Princess Leia for example). I really enjoyed the scene with Luv and the captain. But then to think that it's two females on screen delivering a hell of a scene makes me love it even more. Even the catty comment by the repliprostitute to holo girl was a cool moment. 

I thought that Niander Wallace (the otherwise excellent Jared Leto) was a bit too intense to be believable, but that’s kinda splitting hairs.  
And yes, I agree 100% on the scene between Luv and the captain;  Sylvia Hoeks was a hell of a scene stealer, even with Robin Wright (that can’t be easy!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nombre, glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely one of the movies of the year for me. I want to see it again on the big screen - it's that good. No, Deckard's nature was left ambiguous and correctly so, I thought.

And Jared Leto's Wallace kind of sucked, but he's not in it enough for it to spoil anything.

There is actually a  thread, but it was created before we knew what the title of the movie would be:

 

 

Edited by Robin Bland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

And Jared Leto's Wallace kind of sucked, but he's not in it enough for it to spoil anything.

I agree. It was too hamfisted(?) but as you say he's not in it much at all. I didn't get his motivation of just killing the 'newborn' except to show what a terrible man/creator/moneyseeker he was. It's a cliché character. Dialing it down several notches would have produced, I think, a better effect. Someone who would equally kill a sentient being and casually eat lunch. I would have preferred that to the "psychotic godlike visionary" business guy

Edited by Nombrecomun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this