Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Streaming Problems with DISCOVERY

CBS All Access Suffers Streaming Glitches in Middle of STAR TREK DISCOVERY (Variety.com)

About 5% of CBS’s All Access users had problems accessing the over-the-top streaming service on Sunday night — just as the latest episode of flagship original series “Star Trek: Discovery” debuted.

“A small number of CBS All Access users experienced problems with buffering last night due to technical issues with one of our delivery partners,” a CBS rep said in an emailed statement. “We worked closely with them to resolve the issue.”

7 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Seems to work fine on Netflix tho...

*ducks and RUNS*

Of course it did, because Netflix knows that their money is almost entirely contingent on the ability to access content. Netflix rarely screws up for me...perhaps months between incidents.

For as much as CBS literally NEEDS Star Trek to work to make their platform viable into the future they cannot afford anything but Netflix-level smooth.

Another Sunday or two like last night? I'll cancel and wait for the DVDs. And if I'm willing to do that, so are thousands of others.

CBSAA can't afford that.

Edited by prometheus59650

Some folks were suggesting that maybe this is good for All Access... it means a lot of people want to watch the show. But then, small comfort, given how efficient other streaming services are, All Access REALLY can't afford screwing up like this.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Some folks were suggesting that maybe this is good for All Access... it means a lot of people want to watch the show. But then, small comfort, given how efficient other streaming services are, All Access REALLY can't afford screwing up like this.

They can't. Even if you are willing to let the rest of the week go, the night that you drop your flagship show has to be smooth as glass.

4 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Pardon me, but 5%, my backside.

Count me among the five percenters....:laugh:

15 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Count me among the five percenters....:laugh:

Even people who had zero problems since the premiere couldn't get it working.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Even people who had zero problems since the premiere couldn't get it working.

That was our situation.

34 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I had no problems up here in Canada, I PVR'ed it off the Space Channel. ;)

And today it worked fine. 

I don’t know if it was a traffic issue with CBS-AA  or what, but I recommend they fix their little glitches for next Sunday, because folks like me are paying for the commercial free option and at this point?  Commercials are preferable to constant freezing and buffering. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

That was our situation.

And today it worked fine. 

I don’t know if it was a traffic issue with CBS-AA  or what, but I recommend they fix their little glitches for next Sunday, because folks like me are paying for the commercial free option and at this point?  Commercials are preferable to constant freezing and buffering. 

LOL. Those with the cheaper option were even more unhappy than everyone else last night.

The commercials streamed perfectly between the mess of a show.

5 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

LOL. Those with the cheaper option were even more unhappy than everyone else last night.

The commercials streamed perfectly between the mess of a show.

Wow... what the hell, CBS-AA??

Whatever the glitch was, I sure hope they fix(ed) it.

For those having trouble watching Discovery last Sunday night, you're not alone. These are a lot of sample comments from an "Is CBS All Access down right now?" site:

David Leon Potter ·
The only reason why I subscribed to this service was to watch Star Trek Discovery. I don't care about any of the rest of their shows. And right NOW, I can't even do THAT!!! If they ever cancel Discovery, then I will be cancelling my CBS subscription. That is the only thing that I care about.
Like · Reply · 14 mins

Jon Miller · University of Washington
All Access has been good until tonight. Scaling problems will kill AA.
Like · Reply · 19 mins

James Rosser
Really angry about tonight’s attempts to stream Discovery. Comercials fine, show wont play
Like · Reply · 1 · 27 mins

Ad Muniz
What the **** CBS! Trying to watch Discovery! Streaming is stopping every few moments! Arrrgggghhhhhh!
Like · Reply · 1 · 34 mins

Samuel Lawson · Works at Isaiah's Cry
CBSAA is awful tonight. Shows stop every minute or so. Starz is fine, so it's not my home network, and not comcast. CBS hasn't quite got a handle on scaling this kind of service yet.
Like · Reply · 1 · 37 mins · Edited

Amie Howell · Central Tech
Trying to watch over chromecast. We get about 5 minutes in and the stream stops.
Like · Reply · 1 · 1 hr

Mara Moran
Sam here with both my iPad and Roku
Like · Reply · 1 · 52 mins

David Sunfellow · Owner at David Sunfellow Photography /Sunfellow Productions
Discovery is constantly freezing, loading, loading, loading, streaming, freezing, loading, playing, freezing, freezing, stuttering, pixelating, loading, loading, freezing... I guess you get the picture. It isn't working on either Roku or an iPad app.
Like · Reply · 3 · 2 hrs

Christi Kersten
I am so irritated right now. We are paying for CBS All Access, just to watch Discovery, and it buffers and loads literally every 10 to 20 seconds. Why is CBS charging for a streaming service in order to monopolize a show, and then cheating customers out of being able to watch it by being cheap with the amount of traffic that can stream at any one time? If you make a show unavailable for subscription on all other streaming services, don’t you think you ought to expect to accommodate all the traffic, CBS? This SUCKS! At least make the show available for pay on Amazon or iTunes like every other respectable network!
Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs

Stephen Noel
the same is happening to mine. youd figure that if CBS all access boldly advertises all access. youd think it should work. it shouldnt be the problem of the subscriber to fix.
Reply · 1 hr

Stephen Lillis · Sherman Oaks, California
Cbs stream intermittent. Always difficult to connect but from 6PM off and on.
Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs

Noland Kropf · Business Director at McGrath Auto
I hate this. This is crap to pay for streaming.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Neal Boling · Station Manager at KHQ Local News
Same here. So disappointed. First time I could watch Star Trek Discovery with my mom and it does this. Why am I paying so much per month again?
Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs

Joe Shuman · Senior Computer Scientist at KeyBridge Technologies, Inc
I'm going to bed, now. I've barely made it half through Discovery. I keep missing stuff. Buffering, freezing, telling me I have internet connection problems. Netflix is working fine...fix it!!!
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Len Preston · Works at Indianapolis Online Community Magazine- ICIndymag
I just got off the phone with them. 1-888-274-5343. Like it says below after a 20 minute wait they apologize and say it’s a known issue they’re working on but they are still trying to figure out why there is such an issue across several different platforms
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Michael Ness
Buffering issues in Indiana while trying to watch any shows in cbs all access. Commercials fine, shows buffer ir freeze.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Jason Thompson · Marketing communications at @AllISeeIsYou
LIVE TV issues all day long, which figures on a Sunday! They said it's a known issue, but this was about 12 hours ago and thus far, not a fix yet.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Philippe Gallant · Director of Technology at Deaf Bible Society
I having problem with buffering while Star Trek but no buffering while on commercials.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Keith Pickering-Walters · Livermore, California
We're having the same issues in Northern CA. Freezing, artifacts, repeating previous 2 seconds (like a record skipping), rebuffering, and more and more freezing. Is the Service more popular than their servers can handle?
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Mark Cremer · University of Iowa
9:11 CST 10/22. Once again, CBS All Access service on a Sunday is a joke. Constant buffering or all out freezing. Not much of an argument in favor of their streaming service...
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Ken Newman · Owner / Director: Newman Studios at Self Employed (Business)
Has no problem playing the first IBM commercial...then buffers...plays about 30 seconds and buffers...then goes black...restatrs with IBM commercial....
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Shawn Wahlstrom · Layton High School
Just spoke with customer service, after a 20 minute hold they are aware and simply adding your user email to the ticket that has been open foe over 72 hours.. here's the number 888-274-5343
Like · Reply · 3 hrs

David Horning · Denison University
Not able to watch 19/22/17 at 9:19 ET
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 hrs

Mike Lewis · Warsaw, Indiana
Buffering endlessly in Northern Indiana. Unwatchable. Rebooted all my hardware and terminated all unnecessary connections. How about a refund CBS?
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 hrs

Mark Maxwell · Columbia Southern University
It would be nice to hear from a CBS rep on this issue. Very glitchy tonight, not watchable. 10/22/17 @ 6:00pm PT
Like · Reply · 3 hrs

Holy crap!   And here I was, ready to toss my Roku streamer across the room!

My apologies to Roku...:laugh:

Which is why there's NO way, it was just 5% of users.

CBS better get it's act together or its own incompetence is going to kill its platform.

I tried streaming AfterTrek ep 5 at lunchtime today. Nothing. Can't even connect. Checked connections with all other streaming channels; all fine. It's definitely CBSAA. They need to sort this out pronto.

Netflix good in the UK for me.

I work for a UK Broadcast company and the problem with streaming is often with 3rd party companies down the chain

Edited by Mike Thompson

1 hour ago, Mike Thompson said:

Netflix good in the UK for me.

I work for a UK Broadcast company and the problem with streaming is often with 3rd party companies down the chain

That's interesting to know - d'you mean ISPs? Or do you think this would this be Roku, in this instance? I haven't had any other problems with any other service I've streamed through Roku and I checked my Internet connections and download speeds - all fine. We have a second media player which is also streaming perfectly.  By process of elimination, evidence points to CBSAA.

I really wish Discovery was on Netflix US...