Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Star Trek Discovery - Season 2 Confirmed

7 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I hope it'll have Lorca. I doubt it tho. *cries*

He does seem to be setting himself up to be gone one way or another. 

4 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

He does seem to be setting himself up to be gone one way or another. 

I know! It's all too good to be true and it's all going too well for him to last very long. :( (On the other hand... maybe they'll throw him into a padded cell and he escapes and becomes a Dukat-like villain in the second season. Now THAT would be a twist I'd appreciate.)

1 minute ago, Mr.Picard said:

I know! It's all too good to be true and it's all going too well for him to last very long. :( (On the other hand... maybe they'll throw him into a padded cell and he escapes and becomes a Dukat-like villain in the second season. Now THAT would be a twist I'd appreciate.)

I think even if it somehow all worked out and at the end of the day Lorca still had his ship he's just not going to be happy on a science ship poking through nebula or playing sentry duty on the border someplace.

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

I think even if it somehow all worked out and at the end of the day Lorca still had his ship he's just not going to be happy on a science ship poking through nebula or playing sentry duty on the border someplace.

Definitely not. He'd wither away, bored and plagued by memories and whatnot. That's why I think they should leave him in the Mirror Universe (if we're not already there, that is). He would fit right in, and I could imagine an entire series that deals with him and how he becomes Emperor Gabriel or something. I'd watch, that's for sure!

nepr   

Let's not forget the "31", in NCC-1031.  Could assist L in staying in command and get him some choice assignments if he makes himself useful.  I hope S1 doesn't end with Burnham in command, but there's a real danger of this guy stealing the series.  My fanon has L becoming dependent upon her, perhaps via Vulcan/Sarek mind games, to stay sane.

4 minutes ago, nepr said:

My fanon has L becoming dependent upon her, perhaps via Vulcan/Sarek mind games, to stay sane.

That's not impossible.

I suspect Lorca is going to be too interesting for them to kill off easily or get rid of; he’s building such a base that I think it’d be unwise for the show to adhere to a rigid fixed plan (Burnham taking command).  They should allow for the unexpected, such as Lorca becoming so popular in ST fandom, and adjust whatever plan accordingly.

For example,  Yeoman Rand was supposed to be a ‘star’ of TOS in the early days; Grace Lee Whitney was in much of the publicity material, and Rand was in a lion’s share of the earliest episodes.  But her role was arguably eclipsed in popularity by other characters (that, and there were issues between the actress and management) so TOS had to adjust accordingly.

It may be that Lorca is simply the focus of the show, like it or not...

17 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

They'd have to be crazy to kill Lorca off. Absolutely crazy. 

Honestly he makes the show for me, and for many others as well. Burnham doesn't get nearly as many discussions, people appreciate her but the real magnet is Lorca and his shady shenanigans. At least for now.

Another example here is Data, perhaps - the writers never intended for him to become this popular (neither with the audience in general nor with the ladies, Data is the most popular TNG character by far, and he is THE most-crushed-on character of the show whereas the original intent was for Riker to be that), the first two TNG seasons focus heavily on Jean-Luc and Riker and, the more the show progresses, the more Data episodes appear until he basically replaces Riker as the second main character of the show in seasons 6 and 7 and in the movies. This just happens sometimes with a show, you have a character you intend for the audience to focus on and like, and then another steals the show and you have to adjust accordingly. I'm just not sure the Discovery writers allowed Lorca to stick around for long enough - he could be killed off in the season 1 finale or even earlier. The episode has probably already been shot, and, given the fact that the writers are trying to tell a whole season arc here, re-writing things might be too much of a hassle.

:(

9 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Honestly he makes the show for me, and for many others as well. Burnham doesn't get nearly as many discussions, people appreciate her but the real magnet is Lorca and his shady shenanigans. At least for now.

Everyone loves a bad guy; especially when he’s one of the good guys.  :laugh:

10 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Another example here is Data, perhaps - the writers never intended for him to become this popular (neither with the audience in general nor with the ladies, Data is the most popular TNG character by far, and he is THE most-crushed-on character of the show whereas the original intent was for Riker to be that), the first two TNG seasons focus heavily on Jean-Luc and Riker and, the more the show progresses, the more Data episodes appear until he basically replaces Riker as the second main character of the show in seasons 6 and 7 and in the movies. This just happens sometimes with a show, you have a character you intend for the audience to focus on and like, and then another steals the show and you have to adjust accordingly.

There are a million examples of TV series that have had to ‘change course’ because of a breakout character;  this would hardly be the first time.   If Lorca is ‘killed’ then I wouldn’t be too surprised for a technobabble-laden explanation for his return someday...

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Everyone loves a bad guy; especially when he’s one of the good guys.  :laugh:

This is it, in a nutshell. 

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

There are a million examples of TV series that have had to ‘change course’ because of a breakout character;  this would hardly be the first time.   If Lorca is ‘killed’ then I wouldn’t be too surprised for a technobabble-laden explanation for his return someday...

“Mirrorverse!” ;)

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I really hope so. We haven't reached "if Lorca dies we riot" levels yet, but he IS building a fanbase. It went from "ugh who is this guy" to "omg there is more to him than I thought" in no time during the last two episodes. (I suddenly feel the need to point out that I liked him before it was cool. :P)

2 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

“Mirrorverse!” ;)

His ‘mirror’ counterpart would probably be a well-known intergalactic philanthropist...:laugh:

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

His ‘mirror’ counterpart would probably be a well-known intergalactic philanthropist...:laugh:

I'd laugh and laugh and laugh if his miror universe counterpart sneakily replaces him and throws "Starfleet is not a military organization, its purpose is exploration" lines around and everyone just looks at each other and is like "okay what happened to the captain" :laugh: 

How much is set in stone by the showrunners? It’s clear Lorca (and Isaacs) is a standout character; it’d be nuts to go into a season 2 without him, no matter how clearly mapped out and decided your arc is. 

At the same time, I’d really like to see some new Star Trek without this war backdrop. To my mind, the most interesting and effective episodes so far have been those where the war is the least significant ingredient in the story. Would (non-mirror) Lorca adapt well to peacetime Starfleet? This is a damaged man - they’ve taken pains to establish that - but if we’re invested in him (and it sounds like we are) taking time to follow him back to wellness might be just as interesting as all this ‘battered captain with latitude’ business. Because you’d never know if he might lose it again, and imagine the dramatic possibilities of that. 

As far as I know, the first season is wrapped and they're now discussing season 2 ideas/plots. (So this is probably the perfect time to realize that Lorca is very popular? idk)

I would so NOT be interested in seeing Lorca "brainwashed" into being "normal again" and then all is peachy and cute and ugh nah, but I would indeed also find it interesting to see him struggle with peaceful times and going back to his old ways as soon as he even SMELLS a trap or conspiracy. Kinda like a more deeply explored Benjamin Maxwell who happens to be one of the main characters of a show instead of a one-time guest captain.

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

I would so NOT be interested in seeing Lorca "brainwashed" into being "normal again" and then all is peachy and cute and ugh nah, but I would indeed also find it interesting to see him struggle with peaceful times and going back to his old ways as soon as he even SMELLS a trap or conspiracy.

If he stays this is likely where they go.

Lorca sees Burnam as a counterbalance and a needed one. Because she's smart, has her moral compass firmly in place and, as she's already demonstrated, will take out her captain if she believes he's wrong enough. He needs that because he's never going to be that good, wholesome guy. He's never going to be the likes of Pike, where everything he ever does will be course material at the academy.

Lorca is the workhorse. Lorca's the guy you send in when you're not going to ask too many questions how it gets done, it just needs to be done. Lorca's the guy with the itchy trigger-finger where at the first twitch, he'll kill 'em all and let The Great Bird sort 'em out.

If Lorca stays, he needs a lifeline to his humanity and Burnam's it.  

What Prome said.

Who said anything about Lorca being brainwashed into normal? It’s his flaws and his damage that make him so compelling. I just want Discovery to stop being a Battlestar and make landfall on some planets with strange new civilizations. I want Lorca to be their first contact, and Burnham to rescue situations like that when they go pear-shaped. And see Lorca take credit afterwards, while Burnham is still generally perceived as dangerous by Starfleet. Make these two characters co-dependent. And boldly go away from Klingon politics. 

29 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Make these two characters co-dependent. And boldly go away from Klingon politics. 

While I will say that the creators have certainly succeeded in making Klingons "alien" again, I don't find any of the scenes particularly compelling. More often than not they sort of stop the episode dead.

I was sick of Klingons better than a decade ago, the last one I've found worth watching being Martok, and no Klingon on DSC has made me change that assessment.

I'm done with 'em. 

I'm glad that the series was renewed for a second season and I agree with those that believe that Lorca should stay. He's my favorite character of this new series and I think that a good story would be him overcoming his struggles after the loss of his previous ship. I still think that Burnham may be his daughter. Hopefully he gets to have better days ahead.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

If he stays this is likely where they go.

Lorca sees Burnam as a counterbalance and a needed one. Because she's smart, has her moral compass firmly in place and, as she's already demonstrated, will take out her captain if she believes he's wrong enough. He needs that because he's never going to be that good, wholesome guy. He's never going to be the likes of Pike, where everything he ever does will be course material at the academy.

Lorca is the workhorse. Lorca's the guy you send in when you're not going to ask too many questions how it gets done, it just needs to be done. Lorca's the guy with the itchy trigger-finger where at the first twitch, he'll kill 'em all and let The Great Bird sort 'em out.

If Lorca stays, he needs a lifeline to his humanity and Burnam's it.  

^
Very well said; both in defining Lorca and why the series needs him.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Very well said; both in defining Lorca and why the series needs him.

I shouldn't love the guy, and I shouldn't think he belongs on a Trek series, but I do, and he does.

Burnam is the ideal, Lorca is the day-to-day reality. If he stays and doesn't get killed off, he's the embodiment of every speech Kirk has ever given on human imperfection.