Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

STAR TREK CONTINUES - “To Boldly Go: Part 1”

The tenth and penultimate episode of the fan series STAR TREK CONTINUES is now available. “To Boldly Go: Part 1” was written by acclaimed sci-fi author Robert J. Sawyer and features guest star Cas Anvar from Syfy’s The Expanse.

Enjoy the episode and good nite ! Boa noite !

Just watched it a bit ago. Without giving anything away...

1. If you're familiar with Nicola Bryant from her Doctor Who days and thought her acting was as wooden as your front door, you'll be in shock at how wonderful she is in this.

2. Two baddie TOS characters return.

3. There is a huge (to me anyway) revelation about Lt. Smith, the kind that will make you smack your forehead for not realizing it.

4. We see Kirk's predecessor as the Chief of Starfleet Ops.  

Saw it last night with my donor preview; it was spectacular.  One of the most exciting, fingernail-biting STs ever, fan film or not. I'm on pins and needles for part 2.

Per STC's direct request, I've not been posting any spoilers anywhere, and will try to respect their wishes till more people have a chance to see it.  

maneth   

Saw it last night and it was brilliant. Wonderful script and great acting. Looking forward to pt. 2.

1 hour ago, maneth said:

Saw it last night and it was brilliant. Wonderful script and great acting. Looking forward to pt. 2.

This was as exciting a ST as I've ever seen; had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Just watched it, and it was super, and struck all the right notes. There's a reason why these are the only fan films that feel like TOS to me and this episode encapsulates all of them. The acting is not hammed up, the musical cues are perfect, the FX, with a few minor failings here and there are at least as good as what was in TOS.

These are pretty much the only fan films I've ever looked forward to and it's a damn shame they have to come to an end.

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Just watched it, and it was super, and struck all the right notes. There's a reason why these are the only fan films that feel like TOS to me and this episode encapsulates all of them. The acting is not hammed up, the musical cues are perfect, the FX, with a few minor failings here and there are at least as good as what was in TOS.

These are pretty much the only fan films I've ever looked forward to and it's a damn shame they have to come to an end.

I’m not sure how part 2 will wrap up (I’m assuming they ultimately head to Earth for the refit?), but for me, these are canon.   Period.  

49 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’m not sure how part 2 will wrap up (I’m assuming they ultimately head to Earth for the refit?), but for me, these are canon.   Period.  

I agree. There's...love in them. There's genuine reverence for the source material and while watching these it always takes me a minute to adjust to, "Oh, right, this isn't going to be Leonard Nimoy or William Shatner, that's it. I don't cringe at them like some of the other fan efforts. In many cases I can overlook the cheap sets and poor effects, but so many of the actors imitate Kirk, Spock, and McCoy to the point of caricature and that's usually what makes me, "God, I can't watch this anymore."

This cast takes on some of those affectations and drops the into the performances as a bit of nostalgia, but, for instance, Vic's Kirk has never been that...halting...Shatner delivery...that so many....break the character down to. 

These would fit perfectly as a formal season 4.

I dare say that no one is going to pull off TOS like "Continues" ever again.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

I agree. There's...love in them. There's genuine reverence for the source material and while watching these it always takes me a minute to adjust to, "Oh, right, this isn't going to be Leonard Nimoy or William Shatner, that's it. I don't cringe at them like some of the other fan efforts. In many cases I can overlook the cheap sets and poor effects, but so many of the actors imitate Kirk, Spock, and McCoy to the point of caricature and that's usually what makes me, "God, I can't watch this anymore."

This cast takes on some of those affectations and drops the into the performances as a bit of nostalgia, but, for instance, Vic's Kirk has never been that...halting...Shatner delivery...that so many....break the character down to. 

These would fit perfectly as a formal season 4.

I dare say that no one is going to pull off TOS like "Continues" ever again.

Agree on all of what you've said, but that last line especially so.   These were genuine labors of love, but they're also well-written and worthy additions to the ST canon.   That's what impresses me the most.  With so many fan films, you get the feeling that everything goes into the look and the costuming and the spare change from the couch cushions is thrown into hashing out a story.  

STC feels like Vic Mignogna and his team always strive to put story FIRST.   It's not just a group of friends who are able to perfectly mimic the sets and costumes of a 50 year old TV show; these are professionals (and semi-professionals) who are telling genuine, Star Trek stories as they were told in the '60s; using allegory, characters and some solid acting as well.  The FX and the production design, while obviously done with much love and care, always service the story...they aren't the story themselves.

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

With so many fan films, you get the feeling that everything goes into the look and the costuming and the spare change from the couch cushions is thrown into hashing out a story.  

Some of that stuff is banged out in a weekend with no peer review. Guaranteed. 

I'm supremely glad that Continues will be able to go out on its own terms, telling the stories it wanted to tell in spite of Axanar.

Yorick   

I suspect legal issues would prevent this, specifically giving tacit legitimacy to technically copyright-infringing works, but if ever Spock of Pike's Enterprise finds himself on Discovery, I think I would prefer to see him played by Todd Haberkorn than Zachary Quinto. Nothing against the excellent Quinto but Haberkorn would look like he's coming from the original in a much more powerful way than Quinto. Looking forward to the last one, and then I'll really miss it. A minor golden age will close with the last fade out.  

6 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I suspect legal issues would prevent this, specifically giving tacit legitimacy to technically copyright-infringing works, but if ever Spock of Pike's Enterprise finds himself on Discovery, I think I would prefer to see him played by Todd Haberkorn than Zachary Quinto. Nothing against the excellent Quinto but Haberkorn would look like he's coming from the original in a much more powerful way than Quinto. Looking forward to the last one, and then I'll really miss it. A minor golden age will close with the last fade out.  

Well, since a copyright owner gets to, in many ways, pick and choose what they will enforce when it comes to copyrights it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, though very, very unlikely.

From what I've read, the series will wrap up showing where everyone ends up at the end of the mission (Kirk promoted, Spock back to Vulcan, McCoy retiring). So I figure the main storyline will wrap up a bit early so they can get to that stuff. And still wondering what will become of McKenna.

Finally got around to watching this. Damn, it's just so, so good. So much love and heartfelt effort goes into this, getting all those details just right but bringing something new. Really feels like the spirit of TOS.

Can't wait for the finale!

Edited by Robin Bland

According to STC’s Twitter feed, the voluntary ‘ban’ on spoilers is officially lifted, so... if anyone wants to discuss the episode in depth?  It’s all groovy.  

But for the sake of our own community, let’s continue to warn of spoilers for those who haven’t seen it yet, okay? ;)

kenman   

I loved this new episode, loved that they tied it into the second pilot, and tied in some other classic episodes and the Hood storyline that has been threaded into a lot of Continues. Can’t wait to see how it all wraps up in November. 

Okay;  2678409.jpg

Have to admit it was brilliant to suspect that someone like Section 31 would look at what happened to Mitchell and Dehner and think of the possibilities. But even taking the most calm and pacifist minds, giving them that much power it would eventually eat at them at how much good, in their minds, they could do by forcing others to do things their way. It's a shame that Section 31 wasn't thought of in TNG's time, this would have made a great two part story for them.

Spock going behind Kirk's back to contact the Romulan commander (who now has a name) just seemed a little out of character for whomever it is playing the role. 

Loved that they even gave a little "wink" to Kirk's tombstone having the wrong middle initial.

Lt. Smith is actually Yeoman Smith from Where no Man...? Was that ever established or speculated about before? 

Interesting that the Preservers not only seeded life in the galaxy but also put the barrier there.

As I mentioned before, Nicola Bryant continues (LOL) the tradition of outstanding guest stars and when her deceit is discovered her change in tone is quite chilling. 

2 hours ago, kenman said:

I loved this new episode, loved that they tied it into the second pilot, and tied in some other classic episodes and the Hood storyline that has been threaded into a lot of Continues. Can’t wait to see how it all wraps up in November. 

^
This.

1 hour ago, John32070 said:

Lt. Smith is actually Yeoman Smith from Where no Man...? Was that ever established or speculated about before? 

Yes. 

She even used Smith’s signature “The name’s Smith, sir” in the mirror episode of STC.

Loved that they even gave a little "wink" to Kirk's tombstone having the wrong middle initial.

That was a nice bit of retro continuity that totally worked.

Interesting that the Preservers not only seeded life in the galaxy but also put the barrier there

For all we know, our entire galaxy may be a giant Preserver experiment (?)...

As I mentioned before, Nicola Bryant continues (LOL) the tradition of outstanding guest stars and when her deceit is discovered her change in tone is quite chilling. 

She was excellent.  Gave Sally Kellerman’s Dr. Dehner a serious run for her money.

I also read that original TOS Romulan Commander actress Joanne Linville’s daughter, Amy Rydell, was the actress playing her mother’s old role in this episode (!).  Didn’t realize that. 

Yes, I didn't know she was the daughter either. She has very few acting credits, but her main profession is a stuntwoman.

maneth   

Great episode, loved it. I'm happy we don't have all that long to wait for the conclusion, but man, I would have loved to see a few more episodes...

20 hours ago, maneth said:

Great episode, loved it. I'm happy we don't have all that long to wait for the conclusion, but man, I would have loved to see a few more episodes...

Makes two of us...:(

Count me in as well. If I had the money, I'd see if I could talk Vic into doing a post-TMP series and build a TMP bridge replica. Lots of untapped material there.

Sign in to follow this