Mr.Picard

The Gabriel Lorca Topic (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Well... a technical rebellion then.   If not a complete overthrow of the system, at least an assassination attempt. 

And I still think he might be one of the more rational mirror universe inhabitants (like mirror-O’Brien or mirror-Spock).   Would love to see him stick around afterward though. 

Loved his Scottish accent bit, too.  Great Lorca (and Jason Isaacs’) moment...

I still hope he'll show his true face of EVIL even if it means they'll have to get rid of him. Or he becomes Emperor and allows for the Discovery to find a way back (and to bring the other Discovery back, why is no one talking about the fact that a Terran Empire ship is running loose in the Prime Timeline??? lol) - I mean why would he WANT to go back to the Prime Timeline anyway? All that's waiting for him there is Cornwell with her psychological evaluation threat. If he finds a chance to become Emperor, he'll take it and sit on the throne, like the majestic JR Space Ewing that he is. I'll laugh and laugh and laugh if this prediction of mine comes true, it was a joke when I first said it :laugh:

And YES I laughed so hard at the Chief Engineer moment. LMFAO. The humiliation! First Tilly is suddenly the captain and then he has to come up with technobabble nonsense in a Scottish accent. I almost spat out my tea twice during this entire scene. LMFAO.

Honestly, Lorca again has the best line, even as he tries to warn everyone before they all begin.

"From now on, we're Terrans. Decency is weakness and will get us killed and the lives of everyone on this ship and the Federation are at stake. So you do what you must, whatever you must, to anyone."

Dude's speaking from experience.

Though Burnam sums the Empire up nicely

"Terran strength is borne out of pure necessity because they live in constant fear, always looking for the next knife aimed at their back. Their strength is painted rust. It's a facade."

I officially loved this episode.

Lorca gets some of the best lines, absolutely. And when he doesn't get to speak, he makes the best faces. :laugh: (Not unlike a certain other captain, haha.)

32 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Lorca gets some of the best lines, absolutely. And when he doesn't get to speak, he makes the best faces. :laugh: (Not unlike a certain other captain, haha.)

All I can say is that, while I'm not expecting it, I REALLY want Isaac's around in some fashion after this season.

I love me some Lorca.

Edited by prometheus59650

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I still hope he'll show his true face of EVIL even if it means they'll have to get rid of him. Or he becomes Emperor and allows for the Discovery to find a way back (and to bring the other Discovery back, why is no one talking about the fact that a Terran Empire ship is running loose in the Prime Timeline??? lol) - I mean why would he WANT to go back to the Prime Timeline anyway? All that's waiting for him there is Cornwell with her psychological evaluation threat. If he finds a chance to become Emperor, he'll take it and sit on the throne, like the majestic JR Space Ewing that he is. I'll laugh and laugh and laugh if this prediction of mine comes true, it was a joke when I first said it :laugh:

And YES I laughed so hard at the Chief Engineer moment. LMFAO. The humiliation! First Tilly is suddenly the captain and then he has to come up with technobabble nonsense in a Scottish accent. I almost spat out my tea twice during this entire scene. LMFAO.

That was one of my favorite bits in the whole episode.  :laugh:

This was really Lorca’s homecoming episode (almost like we're seeing the house he grew up in) even if it’s not made explicit just yet...

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

All I can say is that, while I'm not expecting it, I REALLY want Isaac's around in some fashion after this season.

I love me some Lorca.

Me too! 

The show would lose a huge chunk of its soul if Lorca goes away.   Burnham is still not quite ‘lead’ enough to take the reigns of the show, IMO.   She’s fine as part of an ensemble (like Frakes in TNG), but I don’t necessarily want a Capt. Burnham show just yet, just as I didn’t want a Capt. Riker show after BoBW part 2 either.  No offense to either Frakes or Martin-Green.  Both are fine performers, but they don’t quite have that commanding charm and worldly wit of either Sir Patrick or Jason Isaacs...

I’d be down for a Lorca Mirror Universe spin-off show. I’d be down for a mini series. Whatever. If it has Lorca, I’m in. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I’d be down for a Lorca Mirror Universe spin-off show. I’d be down for a mini series. Whatever. If it has Lorca, I’m in. 

I would say he is one of the most interesting captains in all of Star Trek precisely BECAUSE he is not a predictable, cookie-cutter ‘good guy.’  He’s J.R. Ewing in space, and he’s the perfect answer to the morally ambiguous (and often murky) times we’re in now. 

The biggest problem for me is this:

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Burnham is still not quite ‘lead’ enough to take the reigns of the show, IMO.   She’s fine as part of an ensemble (like Frakes in TNG), but I don’t necessarily want a Capt. Burnham show just yet,

I don't like her yet. I don't hate her, and I don't dislike her as much as I did in the earliest episodes, but I don't like her. I'm not REALLY seeing why I should root for this person above others and I'm not.

That could change, but, right now, I would just as soon see Cadet Tilly "Chris Pined" into the center seat before Burnam. 

3 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

The biggest problem for me is this:

I don't like her yet. I don't hate her, and I don't dislike her as much as I did in the earliest episodes, but I don't like her. I'm not REALLY seeing why I should root for this person above others and I'm not.

That could change, but, right now, I would just as soon see Cadet Tilly "Chris Pined" into the center seat before Burnam. 

I wouldn’t be surprised; she is about as interesting as Lorca (at least for me).   It’d be interesting if this mirror arc shows her what she’s really made of; what she didn’t realize she even had in herself.  We clearly see her settling into the role very quickly after a shaky start; and she’s only a cadet (!).  Think how she’ll be in a few years. 

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It’d be interesting if this mirror arc shows her what she’s really made of; what she didn’t realize she even had in herself.

I see a LOT of hard choices for her in the next few weeks. They're make or break, and I think they'll make her.

If it were me, I might on some level nod to TOS's "The Enemy Within" with Tilly. That dark side, tempered, is critical to command, even in her normal, nice, clean universe. 

I'll be very interested to see how she comes out on the other side. 

4 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I see a LOT of hard choices for her in the next few weeks. They're make or break, and I think they'll make her.

If it were me, I might on some level nod to TOS's "The Enemy Within" with Tilly. That dark side, tempered, is critical to command, even in her normal, nice, clean universe. 

I'll be very interested to see how she comes out on the other side. 

I’m also wondering if we’ll see a ‘good’ side to Lorca someday...? 

I mean, the guy does have a pet tribble. :P

I’m also wondering if we’ll see a ‘good’ side to Lorca someday...? 

I haven't quite even seen MU Lorca be terrible. Hell, he let Mudd off LIGHT.

Maybe DSC prime Lorca is still around somehow, some way. If so, they seem similar since the good Admiral Cornwall, while worried, didn't have instant klaxons screeching.

58 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I haven't quite even seen MU Lorca be terrible. Hell, he let Mudd off LIGHT.

Maybe DSC prime Lorca is still around somehow, some way. If so, they seem similar since the good Admiral Cornwall, while worried, didn't have instant klaxons screeching.

And wasn’t she trained as a psychologist?   

1486997425-eyebrow_1.gif

You think she’d be able to sense something was ‘off’ about Lorca... 

And wasn’t she trained as a psychologist?   

1486997425-eyebrow_1.gif

You think she’d be able to sense something was ‘off’ about Lorca... 

And she'd known him for years and been in a relationship with him then and now. 

I mean, let's say you were I'm a relationship with Kira at one point, how long would it take you to figure out that Intendant Kira wasn't the one you knew? 30 seconds tops?

7 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I mean, let's say you were I'm a relationship with Kira at one point, how long would it take you to figure out that Intendant Kira wasn't the one you knew? 30 seconds tops?

Hell, any of the mirror characters would tip their hand in that time.  Maybe they’re trying to establish that Lorca is just exceptionally intelligent.   In “Mirror, Mirror” Prime-Spock says to Prime-Kirk, “It was far easier for you as civilized men to behave as barbarians, then it was for them as barbarians to behave as civilized men.”  

So yes, it would be challenging for a mirror-person to pass in our universe... but not necessarily impossible. 

30 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I think mirror Spock could pass, less the beard.

22 minutes ago, scenario said:

I think mirror Spock could pass, less the beard.

Because I don't think he ever had a particular malevolence. For him, violence was a logically applied tool,

I think if it is a Mirror Lorca. And right now I am kinda leaning that way...he must have been both highly inteligent and in our universe much longer, learning to properly blend in. He lets his shadier aspects bleed trough from time to time, but more often than not he is trying to blend in and gain others trust. That is the current theory anyhow. 

The real question is... if Mirror Lorca held the reigns ever since the Buran incident (which is the one that seems to be the big change, Cornwell did say to him he hasn't been the same since then, my guess is that this is the turning point)... then what happened to Prime Lorca? Did the Klingons get him? Did he end up in the Mirror Universe? Did Mirror Lorca get rid of him? (Wouldn't put it past him, lol.)

If he's still around, is he going to show up and we get an epic Lorca vs. Lorca showdown?

TWO Lorcas in one episode?

YES. PLEASE.

tumblr_nottlydLbk1qj6sk2o4_400.gif

8 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

The real question is... if Mirror Lorca held the reigns ever since the Buran incident (which is the one that seems to be the big change, Cornwell did say to him he hasn't been the same since then, my guess is that this is the turning point)... then what happened to Prime Lorca? Did the Klingons get him? Did he end up in the Mirror Universe? Did Mirror Lorca get rid of him? (Wouldn't put it past him, lol.)

If he's still around, is he going to show up and we get an epic Lorca vs. Lorca showdown?

TWO Lorcas in one episode?

YES. PLEASE.

tumblr_nottlydLbk1qj6sk2o4_400.gif

I think you’ll need to watch with an ambulance standing by... I don’t know if you could take all of that Lorca in one episode. :laugh: 

14 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think you’ll need to watch with an ambulance standing by... I don’t know if you could take all of that Lorca in one episode. :laugh: 

I'm not just worried about myself here... Leather Lorca pretty much broke the Lorca fandom already with his attractiveness, imagine there being TWO Leather Lorcas...! :laugh:

Just got an email today from Creation Entertainment; Jason Isaacs (yes, Lorca himself!) is coming to the annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas this year!!! 

tumblr_oyc813njQR1tkldt9o1_500.gif

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Just got an email today from Creation Entertainment; Jason Isaacs (yes, Lorca himself!) is coming to the annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas this year!!! 

tumblr_oyc813njQR1tkldt9o1_500.gif

Hopefully he'll be back next year. I hope, I hope, I hope.