Mr.Picard

The Gabriel Lorca Topic (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

There has not been as much push back on the fact that Lorca killed his own crew as I would have expected. I've been 110% in support of this show since before it aired, but that moment in Choose Your Pain was when I thought "Ouch, maybe a bit too far." Im still not sure what to think about it. I get that he thought he was sparing them. But he also robbed them of their own will to face their fate. Maybe some of them could have resisted, escaped. 

But as I have advised other fans who want to criticize a storytelling choice on this show: "Try to understand the story that is actually being told. See how the writers are positioning us." Lorca made the choice to end the lives of his crew. That makes him deeply tragic. No other captain has ever made the decision. And it will probably mean he will be, as Isaacs has said, a "very messed up guy." As we learn more about that event, like how he managed to be the only survivor, we will learn more about the character. 

I'm just amazed that this show with every single episode has done things to spark major debate, should they or shouldn't they... This is a show about hard choices and the pressure that puts on people. I have a feeling it will only get more intense.    

8 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I just thought I'd put this here, as we all do seem to appreciate Mr Isaacs quite a bit.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jason-isaacs-originally-didnt-want-to-play-lucius-malfo-1819665698

Maybe we need a Jason Isaacs Topic :laugh:  (I have my hands full already tho, haha!)

Speaking of Jason Isaacs tho, this appeared in my Sir Patrick sources last night: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a840921/jason-isaacs-star-trek-discovery-interview/

I really, really love how he keeps saying that he deliberately chose NOT to use his British accent in order to avoid comparisons with Jean-Luc Picard.

" It's not that I wasn't allowed but there's no way I was going to be some pale shadow of Patrick Stewart's brilliance."

This is the exact way to my fannish heart. :laugh: I love how he chose to make Lorca a unique captain in EVERY possible way. This is probably why Lorca works so well and speaks to me the way he does - he's so fundamentally different.

7 hours ago, Justin Snead said:

There has not been as much push back on the fact that Lorca killed his own crew as I would have expected. I've been 110% in support of this show since before it aired, but that moment in Choose Your Pain was when I thought "Ouch, maybe a bit too far." Im still not sure what to think about it. I get that he thought he was sparing them. But he also robbed them of their own will to face their fate. Maybe some of them could have resisted, escaped.

A lot of fans already hate Lorca for being Lorca - but "Choose Your Pain" earned him more hate for leaving Mudd behind than killing his former crew, yes. I guess it's because we actually SAW him leaving Mudd behind and therefore this is isn't as "abstract" as the (rather quick) remark that he killed his former crew in order to prevent them from falling into Klingon hands. (Or so he claims. I suspect there is a lot more to this - this is Gabriel Lorca, after all.)

There IS a precedent for an action like this, the only difference is that TNG couldn't actually blow up the Enterprise in "Where Silence Has Lease" since this would have left them without a ship and a crew for their show AND they tried to downplay it somewhat by implying that Jean-Luc was only "bluffing", but I'm with Riker here - I don't think he was bluffing. He WAS ready to blow up his ship in order to prevent Nagilum from torturing and then killing half of his crew. ("Only" HALF, maybe even less. The other half would have totally died in vain, which, IMO, makes this a lot more of an ethically debatable decision than Lorca's, whose ENTIRE crew was at risk. Not to mention the fact that the Enterprise-D also had children/families aboard. I wish people would remember this when they hate on Discovery with a "Picard is holy and Lorca is a monster, he is not worthy of the title starship captain, they represent only the good of humanity" attitude. I'm usually 100% with Jean-Luc, but using him as a golden shiny statue to show how rotten Lorca is doesn't always work. It does work with the Mudd example - Jean-Luc would not have left Mudd behind while Lorca would easily have let the Calamarain have Human!Q, he wouldn't have cared... but as I said, it doesn't work with everything, sometimes Jean-Luc was even DARKER than Lorca, a fact that people seem to forget since TNG seems "all good, at all times".)

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:07 AM, Mr.Picard said:

A lot of fans already hate Lorca for being Lorca - but "Choose Your Pain" earned him more hate for leaving Mudd behind than killing his former crew, yes. I guess it's because we actually SAW him leaving Mudd behind and therefore this is isn't as "abstract" as the (rather quick) remark that he killed his former crew in order to prevent them from falling into Klingon hands. (Or so he claims. I suspect there is a lot more to this - this is Gabriel Lorca, after all.)

I have ZERO problem with him leaving Mudd to rot.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL.

SPOILERS FOR "LETHE" TO FOLLOW.

Here we are with another brilliant Lorca episode. So much to talk about, so many interesting moments to examine. I'll just say it: I ship Lorca/Tyler, also Lorca being 100% done with Stamets and his mushroom trip GROOVY language - lmfao! His FACE! The things poor Gabe has to put up with, sheesh! :P

Anyways. Let's start at the beginning, shall we. We got so much Lorca here. First, we got WTF Lorca. His FACE when Burnham said she was dead for three minutes before Sarek brought her back to life. lmfao

And then his reaction when Burnham asks him to help her get Sarek:

Ahem2.png

"Sure, fine, whatever. The things I do to manipulate my crew into following me, life as a master manipulating starship dictator, err, I mean captain, is so hard, le sigh" Worked like a charm tho, Burnham almost bursting with gratefulness at the end of the episode was ALL he wanted and needed for his next move, whatever that move will be. Well played, Gabe, well played. People are falling for it and actually thinking he wanted to help Burnham because he LIKES her. :laugh: 

PesteringAdmirals.png

*dark plans dark plans dark plans* "I need a master plan, must munch some more fortune cookies"

It's only the 6th episode and we already had the first SHIRTLESS CAPTAIN scene. I approve of this. Although there isn't enough chest hair

Shrtless.png

YES PLEASE MORE OF THIS and also the glitter t-shirt at the end YAAAASSSSSS

What I also loved: Cornwall touching the scars on his back and his reaction. ME. ME. ME. I would also not sleep without a phaser under my pillow AND I would ALSO not take kindly to anyone touching my scars. I RELATE SO MUCH TO YOU, GABRIEL LORCA. I mean really tho, what did Cornwall expect? A soft grunt and "please continue to touch me although my back is turned to you and I'm clearly not the type who appreciates being touched without me knowing about it in advance"? Sheesh! Also: "I'm not used to having anyone in my bed" ME ME ME ME AS WELL HOW IS HE SO RELATABLE

Also: PREDATOR PUPPY FACE honestly he's such a cute little human velociraptor

PuppyLorca.png

Now, to my biggest point, I already said something about this in the episode thread: Lorca KNEW that Cornwall would step into a trap. Look at him when he watches her leave for the meeting. (I'm still surprised he didn't just blow up the shuttle. What a tragic accident this would have been... so tragic... like, REALLY tragic... hahaha)

Still: Cornwall had to go. Plain and simple. Lorca saw the chance, and took it. He knew it was a trap, so he suggested for her to so that he could get rid of her. Elegant, Gabe, elegant - and it even has a wonderful side effect: Fans are totally falling for his puppy face and his "don't take my ship away she's all I've got" :laugh: Suuuuure. I'm not saying he didn't MEAN that... I'm saying he knew Cornwall wouldn't be around long enough to tell anyone about it, no harm in telling her and making her think he's a lost and helpless puppy and totall down for her ridiculous idea of "seeking help" and whatnot and making him step down and "yeah suuuure, Kat, we'll do that if you ever return with all your arms and legs attached, err, I mean, ONCE you have returned you just go to meet the Klingons, it's totally not a trap, I swear". :P

I mean, come on.

This:

Furby-1.png

Is totally this:

Furby.jpg

I see no difference. :P

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:thumbup:

I take it you agree with my Lorca observations, then? :P

3 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I take it you agree with my Lorca observations, then? :P

I love them.  Keep 'em up. :thumbup:

Corylea   

I'm female, so I was really excited when I heard that the main character in Discovery would be a woman.  Although I'm white, I've spent considerable time and effort fighting against various kinds of prejudice, including teaching a course I designed called The Psychology of Stereotyping and Prejudice, back when I was a college professor.  So I was very happy when they announced that Discovery's lead would be a woman of color.

This makes me sort of sad to admit that although I think Sonequa Martin-Green is doing a nice job with what they give her to play, the character I find riveting is Gabriel Lorca.  I don't know if it's because the writers are giving him such interesting stuff to do, because there's a mystery about his character's motivations and ultimate goals, or if it's because Jason Isaacs is just that good, but the character I can't look away from, the character I find myself thinking about, the character I want to see more of is Lorca.

And unlike this thread's enthusiastic originator, I'm not finding Lorca riveting because of any sexual attraction to the man. :) Since I'm just barely bisexual -- I'm mostly a lesbian -- very few men appeal to me sexually, with Spock being a truly enormous exception.  (I'm not actually sexually attracted to any of the Discovery characters at this point, though if I were forced to choose one at phaserpoint to go to bed with, it would be Tilly, even though she's way too young for me.)

I could argue that a zillion years of watching TOS have trained me to believe that the captain is the most important character, but that doesn't hold up because my favorite TOS character has always been Spock.  I mean, I do like and admire Jim Kirk, but I adore and worship Spock, so there's a bit of a difference in degree there. :P

Thoughts?  I'm hoping that this isn't internalized sexism or something, that Lorca really IS more interesting at this point, possibly because of that mystery about him, possibly because of Isaacs' intensity, possibly because Martin-Green is mostly being quasi-Vulcan at the moment.  Dear Mr. Nimoy was able to give Spock a lot of intensity even as he also gave him a Vulcan restraint so clear as to be nearly tangible.  Other actors haven't seemed to be able to give us Vulcan restraint on the surface with that sense of boiling lava at the core, the way Mr. Nimoy did.  (I actually have no clue how he managed such a feat, but then acting is a total mystery to me, anyway.)

33 minutes ago, Corylea said:

I'm female, so I was really excited when I heard that the main character in Discovery would be a woman.  Although I'm white, I've spent considerable time and effort fighting against various kinds of prejudice, including teaching a course I designed called The Psychology of Stereotyping and Prejudice, back when I was a college professor.  So I was very happy when they announced that Discovery's lead would be a woman of color.

This makes me sort of sad to admit that although I think Sonequa Martin-Green is doing a nice job with what they give her to play, the character I find riveting is Gabriel Lorca.  I don't know if it's because the writers are giving him such interesting stuff to do, because there's a mystery about his character's motivations and ultimate goals, or if it's because Jason Isaacs is just that good, but the character I can't look away from, the character I find myself thinking about, the character I want to see more of is Lorca.

And unlike this thread's enthusiastic originator, I'm not finding Lorca riveting because of any sexual attraction to the man. :) Since I'm just barely bisexual -- I'm mostly a lesbian -- very few men appeal to me sexually, with Spock being a truly enormous exception.  (I'm not actually sexually attracted to any of the Discovery characters at this point, though if I were forced to choose one at phaserpoint to go to bed with, it would be Tilly, even though she's way too young for me.)

I could argue that a zillion years of watching TOS have trained me to believe that the captain is the most important character, but that doesn't hold up because my favorite TOS character has always been Spock.  I mean, I do like and admire Jim Kirk, but I adore and worship Spock, so there's a bit of a difference in degree there. :P

Thoughts?  I'm hoping that this isn't internalized sexism or something, that Lorca really IS more interesting at this point, possibly because of that mystery about him, possibly because of Isaacs' intensity, possibly because Martin-Green is mostly being quasi-Vulcan at the moment.  Dear Mr. Nimoy was able to give Spock a lot of intensity even as he also gave him a Vulcan restraint so clear as to be nearly tangible.  Other actors haven't seemed to be able to give us Vulcan restraint on the surface with that sense of boiling lava at the core, the way Mr. Nimoy did.  (I actually have no clue how he managed such a feat, but then acting is a total mystery to me, anyway.)

This is where I am largely I'm liking Burnam more and there is zero problem whatsoever with Martin-Green's performance. She brings it.

But Lorca is hard to look away from. He's a bad guy and a good guy rolled into one, and almost each in equal measure, which is something that no Trek has ever done. I see him do "bad" things, but I get why. People are so appalled that he left Mudd? I'd leave Mudd, no problem.And he seems confused about it now and then. Yes, I think his puppy dog plea to Cornwell was a manipulation, but not entirely. I think there's a part of him that knows he's been screwed up and, on some level, he's trying to decide what kind of person he wants to be.

Isaac's is bringing it, bringing it, and jumping into the bed of the truck to bring out some more.

At this rate, they should just give the man an Emmy now.

Corylea   
3 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Heh.  So true!  :thumbup:

Discovery is the first new TV I've watched in decades, so I don't know much about the Emmy rules these days.  I hope being on CBS All Access won't make him ineligible?

Just now, Corylea said:

Heh.  So true!  :thumbup:

Discovery is the first new TV I've watched in decades, so I don't know much about the Emmy rules these days.  I hope being on CBS All Access won't make him ineligible?

Certainly, shouldn't. House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and such.

No reason I can think of to give DSC the shaft beyond the usual, "Science fiction should only win in the technical categories."

25 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

This is where I am largely I'm liking Burnam more and there is zero problem whatsoever with Martin-Green's performance. She brings it.

But Lorca is hard to look away from. He's a bad guy and a good guy rolled into one, and almost each in equal measure, which is something that no Trek has ever done. I see him do "bad" things, but I get why. People are so appalled that he left Mudd? I'd leave Mudd, no problem.And he seems confused about it now and then. Yes, I think his puppy dog plea to Cornwell was a manipulation, but not entirely. I think there's a part of him that knows he's been screwed up and, on some level, he's trying to decide what kind of person he wants to be.

Isaac's is bringing it, bringing it, and jumping into the bed of the truck to bring out some more.

1 hour ago, Corylea said:

Echoing both yours and Corylea’s thoughts.

Lorca is more than a bit of a guilty pleasure, I must admit; and it’s not sexual either (I’m a boring, garden-variety heterosexual, but I consider myself LGBTQ-friendly), it’s largely getting to know a devil from a safe distance.   He’s fascinating (to borrow a phrase from my favorite character, Spock).

I didn’t really care that much for Burnham from the start and this still hasn’t changed. I don’t actively dislike her, but to me it makes no difference if she’s there or not. In the first two episodes I liked Georgiou much better and then Lorca took over. (I wouldn’t have minded a Georgiou series either btw.) 

Lorca just sells the show for me, completely. I like him in the same way two like-minded predators like each other, we might understand and appreciate each other but trust would be out of the question.

He’s just very relatable to me in many ways, and yes, he’s also aesthetically pleasing and I appreciate the shirtless moments and all his fancy uniforms and other outfits, but ultimately, THAT kind of attraction I feel only towards a certain other captain, no one else. 

But Lorca just makes the show so enjoyable. He’s what I’ve always wanted to see on Star Trek, and I really hope we get to see much more of him.

I think the fascination with Lorca is quite clear regardless of any type of attraction. He's a big question mark. We have no idea what he's gonna do in an ep. 

SPOILERS:

I thought he was going to sabotage that shuttle craft carrying the admiral he just bedded to explode. He didn't. He also didn't mount a rescue. He's not doing anything wrong with that decision that would make him evil but he's sure slimy. If you're not on his team or don't have value for him well...you might be in deep doodoo. 

However, the weight of the battle is on his shoulders. Can you blame him for some of his decisions, ambiguous as they may be? I don't. And that ambiguity is what is fascinating. The further question is how much longer can the show keep his character in that type of morally ambiguous realm. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I didn’t really care that much for Burnham from the start and this still hasn’t changed. I don’t actively dislike her, but to me it makes no difference if she’s there or not. In the first two episodes I liked Georgiou much better and then Lorca took over. (I wouldn’t have minded a Georgiou series either btw.) 

Lorca just sells the show for me, completely. I like him in the same way two like-minded predators like each other, we might understand and appreciate each other but trust would be out of the question.

He’s just very relatable to me in many ways, and yes, he’s also aesthetically pleasing and I appreciate the shirtless moments and all his fancy uniforms and other outfits, but ultimately, THAT kind of attraction I feel only towards a certain other captain, no one else. 

But Lorca just makes the show so enjoyable. He’s what I’ve always wanted to see on Star Trek, and I really hope we get to see much more of him.

At this point, I think TPTB would be nuts to cut him loose.

35 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

At this point, I think TPTB would be nuts to cut him loose.

Someone said to me the other day “Isaacs is expensive, they might want to invest those dollars elsewhere” and I was like “gee thanks for giving me MORE anxiety instead of less when it comes to Lorca’s fate” *ack* 

I just want for him to be around forever. I’m honestly looking forward to Mondays at the moment because I know “more Lorca is waiting” :laugh: 

55 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I still miss Georgiou as well.  Would’ve loved to have seen the her and Lorca interacting (dare I wish?) in the same episode together.   How would Georgiou have adapted to the war?  Lorca seemed pretty much born for it, but she would’ve had a harder time, I think.  She was definitely a peacetime captain.   She could make the hard calls, but VERY reluctantly; whereas Lorca seems to relish making them.

He is a fascinating character, and even if he’s thrown in a brig someday, I would hope they keep him around like some kind of shipboard Hannibal Lector, acting as sort of a ‘dark counselor’ when needed (I could totally see him in a white brig cell, munching on those bloody fortune cookies... :giggle:).

He’s too delicious a character to just get rid of; and given the fan response I’ve seen both here and on Twitter,  I’d say getting rid of him would be the single biggest mistake the show could make at this point.  It’d be like getting rid of Picard after “Best of Both Worlds.” 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Someone said to me the other day “Isaacs is expensive, they might want to invest those dollars elsewhere” and I was like “gee thanks for giving me MORE anxiety instead of less when it comes to Lorca’s fate” *ack* 

I just want for him to be around forever. I’m honestly looking forward to Mondays at the moment because I know “more Lorca is waiting” :laugh: 

Pfft...whatever they're paying him, he's worth every dime and he's been proving it weekly.

Of course I'm preaching to the choir telling you that, but still. :)

Corylea   

To bring in a separate fandom, but one we're probably all familiar with and one that's definitely familiar to Mr. Isaacs :biggrin:, I think Lorca is the first Slytherin captain.

And that's kind of chilling, because the Star Trek universe loves Gryffindor and Ravenclaw and has room for Hufflepuff, but Slytherins are usually the people we're fighting against (like the Orion guy made up to look like an Andorian in "Journey to Babel").

Personally, I'm mostly Ravenclaw with Gryffindorish and Hufflepuffian elements to my character, but I have almost no Slytherin in me.  And that makes Slytherin characters the object of horrified fascination for me -- I want to understand how and why people can be like that.

1 minute ago, prometheus59650 said:

Pfft...whatever they're paying him, he's worth every dime and he's been proving it weekly.

I didn't think of that angle either. That's one reason I thought of why they got rid off Michelle Yeoh. Not sure why I didn't think of it for him. 

Corylea   
1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

CBS is throwing a TON of money at Discovery.  I mean, they filmed in freaking Jordan, for heaven's sake, whereas TOS got the Vasquez Rocks. :)

Perhaps they couldn't afford Michelle Yeoh AND Jason Isaacs, but they've killed off Georgiou, so they only have Isaacs at this point.  I very much doubt that they'll get rid of Lorca for budgetary reasons.

Edited by Corylea

1 hour ago, Corylea said:

CBS is throwing a TON of money at Discovery.  I mean, they filmed in freaking Jordan, for heaven's sake, whereas TOS got the Vasquez Rocks. :)

:laugh:

That is soooo true.   I’ve heard the budget is roughly $6 million per episode; that’s over 6 times as much as an average TNG episode. 

With that kind of money, they’d be wise to listen to feedback.   If the audience likes Lorca?  You keep Lorca.  Not that fans should dictate pop art all of the time, but let’s face it; this IS a commercial venture at least as much as an artistic one. 

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Haha yes, I’m totally with you here. Isaacs’ performance is phenomenal. He steals the show, and I don’t think this was intended, not in this way, but it’s definitely happening. I don’t really see many folks talking endlessly about Burnham - I see them talking about Lorca’s latest little coup.

It’s very similar to what happened when Dallas first aired - the show was supposed to be about Bobby and Pam and Ewing vs Barnes, but shady and sneaky JR became so popular with the audience after the first few episodes (and he isn’t even featured that heavily, certainly not as THE main character, but the audience immediately connected with him) that the writers quickly altered the concept and made the Ewing vs Barnes feud a PART of JR’s shady shenanigans and Larry Hagman became THE character who carried the show, on screen and off screen. Best decision they could have made, and part of me hopesthe Discovery writers will choose to do the same or at least something similar with Lorca. Isaacs is just too good to let him go.

Okay, so the latest episode didn't have that many Lorca moments and was therefore mostly forgettable to me personally, but the ones that were there were awesome... but then, of course they were. :P

I LOOOOOVED the reference to TNG's "Evolution" when the music came on and Lorca didn't get up and thundered "WHAT IN HEAVEN'S NAME" like SOME people, he just remained sitting, "MISTER SARU...?!" as if Saru is to blame and can therefore fix it in an instant lmfao

And lmfao, when they find the space creature and everyone's like "aww space thingy" and Lorca is like "whatevs" and they remind him that he needs to help and he's like "I don't care who helps, whatever" and then Tyler chimes in and Lorca "I still don't give a damn" ROFLMFAO I LOVE HIM who CARES if there's a space creature, totally irrelvant :laugh: he's so refreshing!

It was unpleasant to watch Mudd killing him over and over again tho. Was this necessary? *ack*

Oh, and I took screencaps.

I love the way he sits in his chair okay.

Lorca-1.png

"Adieu, mon capitaine" I SWEAR THESE WRITERS ARE TRYING TO MAKE ME LIKE HIM ON PURPOSE

THEY KNOOOOOOOOOOW

Lorca-4.png

Another good thing about the episode: The famous Lorca Butt (TM) appears quite often.

LB-1.png

LB-2.png

These uniforms are a true blessing. :P

EDIT: I just found a gif of this iconic scene

tumblr_oyn0hsC8iy1uhrovto1_540.gif

Gabe is 100% done with Saru lmfao his FACE