Mr.Picard

The Gabriel Lorca Topic (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Okay, here we go... you knew I would do this. :P

This topic comes with SPOILERS, NATURALLY.

Ready?

Over the course of only two episodes I've become  a huge Lorca fan because he's the kind of captain I've always wanted to see on Star Trek, and he needs his own thread because hey, he's

tumblr_ox83u5R1fX1qdhps7o1_540.gif

yes please

Of course I'm very well aware of the fact that they just might kill Lorca off in the next episodes or so, but even if they do, I have a feeling that his "ghost" will continue to hover around and make people step into airlocks or something - Georgiou is also still very much present despite no longer being alive, so, the show seems to have a tendency to keep its more important characters around in at least some way.

And besides, there is already enough Lorca to gush over, look at this

tumblr_oxnwcn77ki1wzjqhyo1_250.gif

Ehehehe

tumblr_oxb3baDaTq1rqeg97o2_540.gif

Sorry , sir...

Okay, being serious now.

What do we know so far about the good shady captain?

Shady, super shady:

tumblr_oxmbm8VmkC1wzjqhyo2_400.gif

- He has an eye injury, which is why he needs darkness.
- His family used to sell fortune cookies, which is why he keeps fortune cookies in his ready room.
- He has a pet tribble. *Tribble sounds*
- He seems to thrive on war, or rather, winning it, no matter the cost.
- He is manipulative, a man who gets exactly what he wants.
- He keeps a Gorn skeleton around, which I hope will be explained because not everyone can say they keep a GORN skeleton around. *hiss*
- His command style: He gives orders, and expects people to follow them. Conferences are so overrated.

tumblr_ox72lvnl8g1uk7hp3o1_540.png

- We haven't seen much of his relationship with Saru (unfortunately not!) but so far it seems Saru is loyal to him, which might be because Saru is a Kelpien, and Kelpiens are a prey species, and prey species have an instinct to gather behind a leading figure they can follow (much like guinea pigs, who always run after the leader of their group). Maybe this is why Saru follows Lorca the way he does, despite the fact that the two seem to be... opposites character-wise, what with Saru being naturally hesitant and Lorca being anything but that.
- His relationship with Stamets is shipping material I mean LOOK AT THEM, Stamets is massively annoyed by Lorca's attitude and Lorca just seems to find it amusing to push Stamets into doing stuff for him. hurr hurr hurr I HATE!SHIP IT
- Lorca and Burnham haven't really clashed yet, but I'm sure they will, but for now Burnham seems to just want to keep a low profile and follow his orders. I'm sure this will change.

And last but not least... he's also attractive, okay. I MEAN

tumblr_oxnrraydyB1r0egvoo1_540.png

"Even smiling makes my face ache" 

tumblr_oxb3baDaTq1rqeg97o1_540.gif

How can you not want to trust this totally not shady man implicity :P

Okay, that's it for now... feel free to add to this thread! Even if you don't like Lorca. He'd understand or rather, he wouldn't care, haha

EDIT: I just stumbled across this promo pic for the next episode and WHOA YES PLEASE

tumblr_oxr1ssja3z1rujkd6o3_1280.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

- He keeps a Gorn skeleton around,

Doesn't everyone? Mine's in my winter clothes closet next to my Nerf Bat'leth.

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

- His command style: He gives orders, and expects people to follow them. Conferences are so overrated.

And, you know what? Sometimes that's how it has to be. If we needed consensus all the time to command, then no ship needs a captain. The department heads should vote on everything after they've heard from every member of the crew.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

And, you know what? Sometimes that's how it has to be. If we needed consensus all the time to command, then no ship needs a captain. The department heads should vote on everything after they've heard from every member of the crew.

This.

Also, I am digging Lorca in a big way. But you knew that already, Mr. Picard.

Also, welcome aboard,  Enterprise Discovery!

Edited by Robin Bland

Just now, Robin Bland said:

Thank you for the welcome. I'm really liking the new series. Lorca may end up being one of my favorite Star Trek characters ever. A lot of the other characters on the series have been great, too.

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

This.

Also, I am digging Lorca in a big way. But you knew that alreday, Mr. Picard.

I second the welcome to ENT DSC. Post often and settle in.

I like Lorca, too. I'm hoping he stays around a good long time, even though I suspect not. It's kind of refreshing to have a captain that you know wouldn't wait until his shields were pounded to 20% before he shoots back. 

2 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I second the welcome to ENT DSC. Post often and settle in.

I like Lorca, too. I'm hoping he stays around a good long time, even though I suspect not. It's kind of refreshing to have a captain that you know wouldn't wait until his shields were pounded to 20% before he shoots back. 

Thank you for the welcome, as well. I think that they're portraying Lorca as mysterious and some think that he may end up a villain, but I think that he will end up a hero. In the latest episode, he just helped save Corvan II, so I don't think that he's going to end up evil.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

.And, you know what? Sometimes that's how it has to be. If we needed consensus all the time to command, then no ship needs a captain. The department heads should vote on everything after they've heard from every member of the crew.

True. I just have a feeling that Lorca isn’t the type who listens or even considers taking ANY kind of advice if that advice goes against what he thinks is best. ;) 

18 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

So far, Gabriel Lorca is my favorite character of Star Trek: Discovery. I do think that he may end up being Garth of Izar, or Michael Burnham's father, though. I hope that the character survives the series.

Hello, hello, welcome aboard - you’re my new best friend! :laugh:

Nah seriously, I also hope he survives the series although I also fear that he won’t. But then, who knows. I just want for him to be around for as long as possible. 

1 minute ago, prometheus59650 said:

There was a funny post on Tumblr that dealt with this... ah, got it.

6199AD08-FA4C-484B-8654-A96AEE0FFDFA.jpeg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Hello, hello, welcome aboard - you’re my new best friend! :laugh:

Nah seriously, I also hope he survives the series although I also fear that he won’t. But then, who knows. I just want for him to be around for as long as possible. 

Thank you for the welcome. Even if Lorca doesn't survive the series, he can always come back. This is Star Trek. I mean, Spock has been brought back before.

Edited by Enterprise Discovery

3 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Thank you for the welcome. Even if Lorca doesn't survive the series, he can always come back. This is Star Trek. I mean, Spock has been brought back before.

True. And if everything else fails, I can always turn to writing fan fic for some Lorca comfort. ;) 

9 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Thank you for the welcome, as well. I think that they're portraying Lorca as mysterious and some think that he may end up a villain, but I think that he will end up a hero. In the latest episode, he just helped save Corvan II, so I don't think that he's going to end up evil.

I think he'll always put what he thinks is best for Starfleet first and humanity first. Like, for some people with a hammer, every problem is a nail, with Lorca, everything is going to be expressed as some sort of battle and one that Starfleet has to win. Put him on the bridge of a ship and he'll die killing you. Put him across a negotiating table, and he'll break you and see every concession as a loss unless he figures out how to make it a win in the bigger game.

He's a warrior.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

True. I just have a feeling that Lorca isn’t the type who listens or even considers taking ANY kind of advice if that advice goes against what he thinks is best. ;) 

I think if you're sure and can justify it with cold fact, you could probably get him to hear you out....after you connected with a solid right cross...and started truth bombing before he got back up. :)

4 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I think he'll always put what he thinks is best for Starfleet first and humanity first. Like, for some people with a hammer, every problem is a nail, with Lorca, everything is going to be expressed as some sort of battle and one that Starfleet has to win. Put him on the bridge of a ship and he'll die killing you. Put him across a negotiating table, and he'll break you and see every concession as a loss unless he figures out how to make it a win in the bigger game.

He's a warrior.

That reminds me of another Star Trek character by the name of James T. Kirk. They are somewhat similar and since looked up to Garth of Izar, maybe that theory will end up true. It's interesting how much discussion and theories have come from a series that is, so far, only four episodes in.

6 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

That reminds me of another Star Trek character by the name of James T. Kirk. They are somewhat similar and since looked up to Garth of Izar, maybe that theory will end up true. It's interesting how much discussion and theories have come from a series that is, so far, only four episodes in.

I think because we're dealing with serialized storytelling that was intended so from day one. It's not episodic where everything is settled in 43 minutes, so, in that 43 minutes you have to sort of always encapsulate what kind of people these people are. We're only now nearing a place where we'll see what Burnam's willing to do to live those ideals she spoke of so nobly last week.

We're all kind of literally just learning about these people in bits and doing it together...so...a lot of fuel for discussion.

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

I think because we're dealing with serialized storytelling that was intended so from day one. It's not episodic where everything is settled in 43 minutes, so, in that 43 minutes you have to sort of always encapsulate what kind of people these people are. We're only now nearing a place where we'll see what Burnam's willing to do to live those ideals she spoke of so nobly last week.

We're all kind of literally just learning about these people in bits and doing it together...so...a lot of fuel for discussion.

That's very true. The next episode looks interesting to me. I don't think that Lorca will be written off in it, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets away from the Klingons, if he does.

I love that the next episode seems to be one of Trek’s famous “the captain has been kidnapped” episodes... I hope it’s the one in which we see Lorca’s amazing slide on the floor and then he shoots at things (or probably Klingons lol). He just looked so cool in this little moment I remember from one of the series trailers.

I’m shallow sometimes, so what :laugh: 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I love that the next episode seems to be one of Trek’s famous “the captain has been kidnapped” episodes... I hope it’s the one in which we see Lorca’s amazing slide on the floor and then he shoots at things (or probably Klingons lol). He just looked so cool in this little moment I remember from one of the series trailers.

I thought that the sliding scene may have been on the Discovery, which would be interesting. Still, it's an interesting place to take Lorca's story. It would be interesting if his being captured was his plan and he's trying to get Ash Tyler and Mudd out of there.

Edited by Enterprise Discovery

14 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Or Starfleet officers because, you know, bored, and those new recruits need to be kept sharp, Lorca style. ;)

I wouldn’t put it past him to do some Starfleet officer target practice! :laugh: 

Or maybe he’s looking to capture a new specimen for his little “alien collection”. Mwahahaha

1 minute ago, Mr.Picard said:

Or maybe he’s looking to capture a new specimen for his little “alien collection”. Mwahahaha

I think he's just going after Klingons. Now, do you think that he, Tyler and Mudd find a way to escape on their own, or do you think that they have help from other Discovery crew members?

9 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

I think he's just going after Klingons. Now, do you think that he, Tyler and Mudd find a way to escape on their own, or do you think that they have help from other Discovery crew members?

Lorca will do this all by himself... because he’s Gabriel Lorca. I’m totally not biased, of course. :angel_not:  

Nah they’ll probably have help. They’ll have to bring in Burnham somehow since the show IS supposed to be about her. lol

1 minute ago, Mr.Picard said:

Lorca will do this all by himself... because he’s Gabriel Lorca. I’m totally not biased, of course. :angel_not:  

Nah they’ll probably have help. They’ll have to bring in Burnham somehow since the show IS supposed to be about her. lol

It'd be interesting if his crew boarded the ship, but at the same time, Lorca, Tyler and Mudd are going through the halls, having escaped themselves and looking for a transport to make their way to the Discovery. Who knows?

I'm wondering if the series will become more of an ensemble series. I like when Star Trek focuses on multiple characters throughout its episodes.

35 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It'd be interesting if his crew boarded the ship, but at the same time, Lorca, Tyler and Mudd are going through the halls, having escaped themselves and looking for a transport to make their way to the Discovery. Who knows?

I'm wondering if the series will become more of an ensemble series. I like when Star Trek focuses on multiple characters throughout its episodes.

Burnam is always going to be the lead, but I expect that there will be more of an ensemble feel once she settles in as XO, whether the CO ends up being Lorca or Saru.

I just think Saru is where they're going though I could be wrong. I can see Lorca accepting that he has to be a warrior captain in peace time and seeing Burnam as the best person to stare him down when it has to happen because I don't see Saru as necessarily the guy with backbone enough to do it.

And, to be honest, I think there's probably part of Lorca that LIKES that Burnam had the testicular fortitude to take her captain out and try to mutiny because, dammit, she was right.

Lorca is perfectly indicative of the times we’re in.   A morally ambiguous (bordering on devious) captain who operates within Starfleet’s (or Section 31’s?) gray zone.  

If they ever did a captain like him in TNG or its spinoffs, he’d be a dull, one-off ‘bad guy’ admiral or villain, and he be exposed/forgotten by the end of the hour.  But now?  We stay WITH him, and I find that very interesting.   Where does this go?   Robin Bland said it best a while back; one of the best things about this new ST is not knowing what’s going to happen next. 

14 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Robin Bland said it best a while back; one of the best things about this new ST is not knowing what’s going to happen next. 

From the series premiere to the fourth episode, a lot has happened and yet we still don't know a lot about the characters. I'm eager to see what comes next.