Sign in to follow this  
DirectorSloan

Titan Comics To Reimagine The Prisoner

This is one of my favorite shows of all time; right up there with Star Trek, Dr Who, Twilight Zone and the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.   Not sure how I feel about tampering with “The Prisoner” a third time.  They tried it once before in 2009, and it blew up in AMC’s face a bit.   

41 minutes ago, DirectorSloan said:

I agree that the AMC offering was crap.  I'm hoping that Titan will be as respectful with The Prisoner as they've been with Doctor Who.  

Good point.   The Titan DW comic books are terrific.   I’m particularly fond of the Tenth Doctor series, and there was a run of the 3rd Doctor that I’m fond of as well.   

But the Prisoner was such a personalized vision of Patrick McGoohan’s; this was one of the problems with the 2009 version, it seemed to only understand the show on a superficial level.  It didn’t feel true to the original at all, and as a new thing it just didn’t work independently.   Neither fish nor foul.

But Titan’s done well with DW, so plenty of room for optimism, you’re quite right.

It's actually because of that Third Doctor series that I'm optimistic.  They could have gone the easy path of putting together a story that had the big three concepts (the Doctor, Unit, and the Master) and gone from there by just writing any story with those constructs.  But that story felt like someone at Titan did their research and watched more than a few of the Pertwee era stories.  I say this because it was absolutely fantastic to see Roger Delgado's Master again.  And Titan really captured his essence.  The way his dialog (as well as the other characters for that matter) was written and they incorporated his "master of disguises" quality were brilliant.  It's that attention to detail that gives me optimism that they'll do the same for The Prisoner.  I rarely associate any specific actor to the success or failure of a show, but for me McGoohan made The Prisoner what it was.  There are less than a hand full of actors from that era who I think could have done as good a job.  Here's hoping they capture his essence as well.  

2 hours ago, DirectorSloan said:

It's actually because of that Third Doctor series that I'm optimistic.  They could have gone the easy path of putting together a story that had the big three concepts (the Doctor, Unit, and the Master) and gone from there by just writing any story with those constructs.  But that story felt like someone at Titan did their research and watched more than a few of the Pertwee era stories.  I say this because it was absolutely fantastic to see Roger Delgado's Master again.  And Titan really captured his essence.  The way his dialog (as well as the other characters for that matter) was written and they incorporated his "master of disguises" quality were brilliant.  It's that attention to detail that gives me optimism that they'll do the same for The Prisoner.  I rarely associate any specific actor to the success or failure of a show, but for me McGoohan made The Prisoner what it was.  There are less than a hand full of actors from that era who I think could have done as good a job.  Here's hoping they capture his essence as well.  

^
That’s an especially tall order with McGoohan’s Prisoner, because it was so wildly unpredictable.   Even his dialogue and manner were so hard to predict.  

When you watch a series long enough, you feel the rhythms of it, and you get to a point where you know more or less what characters will say, and even how they’ll react.   I find myself doing that with Star Trek all of the type; esp. with VGR and ENT.    Those characters are so rote (not saying that as an insult necessarily) that you kinda know what the writers will put in their mouths before they open them.

There was very little of that with “The Prisoner” and it’s one of the reasons that the show was so damn exciting for me the when I first saw it in syndication in the late ‘80s; I’d heard of it, but it wildly exceeded and totally defied my expectations. 

I don’t know if the comics can ever truly capture that spontaneity of the character.   It was McGoohan’s passion project, and it was deeply personal.   For any writer to tackle that might be too tall an order. 

We’ll see.   I’d love to be wrong.  

Sign in to follow this