Sign in to follow this  
DirectorSloan

Doctor Who Story Shada Getting The Animated Treatment

Seems like the BBC has been trying for a long time to properly tell the strike-aborted story of Shada.  First we had the novelization then we had a DVD with Tom Baker telling part of the story to fill in the blanks which was certainly better than nothing but lacked the flow of a traditional story.  Now, the entire story will be told thanks to the wonders of animation

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/doctor-whos-shada-gets-animated-in-first-look-at-long-lost-douglas-adams-story

This is very much like what they did with The Tenth Planet where they used the original live footage that was available and then inserted animation for the lost footage.  Personally I'm stoked.   

7 hours ago, DirectorSloan said:

Seems like the BBC has been trying for a long time to properly tell the strike-aborted story of Shada.  First we had the novelization then we had a DVD with Tom Baker telling part of the story to fill in the blanks which was certainly better than nothing but lacked the flow of a traditional story.  Now, the entire story will be told thanks to the wonders of animation

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/doctor-whos-shada-gets-animated-in-first-look-at-long-lost-douglas-adams-story

This is very much like what they did with The Tenth Planet where they used the original live footage that was available and then inserted animation for the lost footage.  Personally I'm stoked.   

Best idea I’ve heard all week! :thumbup:

kenman   

I am down for this. Hopefully, with Power of the Daleks and this, it means the BBC plans to slowly but surely continue to roll out animated versions of lost episodes.  Hell animating more Troughton or Hartnell episodes can't cost nearly as much as recreating lost episodes of Shada...you don't need to hire a voice cast and pay for studio time for any of the audio! That said, while I have seen the linking material version of Shada, I can't remember how many episodes were complete, and how many were left uncomplete. So maybe it didn't require too much re-animating.

I am hopeful though that the BBC has intentions of animating Doctor Who on a regular basis, like one story a year...it keeps the home video end of classic Doctor Who in business for a while longer, and keeps interest inthe classic end of the property, which is certainly valuable to them.  Then someday...someday...big giant boxset they can hike the price way up for, and little complete Doctor boxsets....oh the money I am sure they will hope to make off us fans. 

8 hours ago, kenman said:

I am down for this. Hopefully, with Power of the Daleks and this, it means the BBC plans to slowly but surely continue to roll out animated versions of lost episodes.  Hell animating more Troughton or Hartnell episodes can't cost nearly as much as recreating lost episodes of Shada...you don't need to hire a voice cast and pay for studio time for any of the audio! That said, while I have seen the linking material version of Shada, I can't remember how many episodes were complete, and how many were left uncomplete. So maybe it didn't require too much re-animating.

I am hopeful though that the BBC has intentions of animating Doctor Who on a regular basis, like one story a year...it keeps the home video end of classic Doctor Who in business for a while longer, and keeps interest inthe classic end of the property, which is certainly valuable to them.  Then someday...someday...big giant boxset they can hike the price way up for, and little complete Doctor boxsets....oh the money I am sure they will hope to make off us fans. 

Hope you're right. If they keep this up, it looks like we'll get one a year, if they sell. Shada must certainly have been the most difficult - I have the older DVD release (which is a dupe of the VHS one) and there's a lot of material missing from later episodes. IIRC, you have more-or-less two complete episodes, two half-made episodes and two almost completely missing (never made) episodes. That's a lot of scenes to complete. While some of the other, earlier serials probably have more missing episodes, the job of co-ordinating an effort like Shada must've been huge! The Power of the Daleks animation wasn't perfect by any means, but the experience of being able to see (an interpretation of) it was a genuine thrill. 

I hope they undertake animated completion of stories like The Evil of the Daleks and The Abominable Snowmen next. 

1 minute ago, Robin Bland said:

The Power of the Daleks animation wasn't perfect by any means, but the experience of being able to see (an interpretation of) it was a genuine thrill. 

This.

The later animation of the “POTD" episodes got a bit ‘lazier’ but the earlier animated scenes when they first found the dormant Daleks (the cobwebs and flashlights, etc) were amazing.   I still think “Invasion” is the gold standard of DW animation-conversion.  

I have the previous “Shada” DVD (with generous chunks of Tom Baker narration), and I have the reimagined McGann 8th Doctor audio version, but I certainly wouldn’t mind an animated interpretation as well.   

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

This.

The later animation of the “POTD" episodes got a bit ‘lazier’ but the earlier animated scenes when they first found the dormant Daleks (the cobwebs and flashlights, etc) were amazing.   I still think “Invasion” is the gold standard of DW animation-conversion.  

I have the previous “Shada” DVD (with generous chunks of Tom Baker narration), and I have the reimagined McGann 8th Doctor audio version, but I certainly wouldn’t mind an animated interpretation as well.   

To my mind, the best 'version' of Shada to date is the talking book performed by Lalla Ward. (Written by Gareth Roberts in a pretty good approximation of Douglas Adams.) The McGann animation was ambitious, well-meaning and welcome, but it didn't really cut the mustard. 

And yeah, they never really topped those couple of missing episodes of The Invasion in terms of direction and attention to performance detail. That was Cosgrove Hall, a now defunct animation house. IIRC The Ice Warriors and The Moonbase were also among the more successful efforts. 

But I'm all for seeing the story told as was originally intended - visually - so I'm looking forward to this. 

43 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

IIRC The Ice Warriors and The Moonbase were also among the more successful efforts. 

Agreed.

43 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

But I'm all for seeing the story told as was originally intended - visually - so I'm looking forward to this. 

Me too!

44 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

To my mind, the best 'version' of Shada to date is the talking book performed by Lalla Ward. (Written by Gareth Roberts in a pretty good approximation of Douglas Adams.)

And, of course, that’s the one version I don’t have.   
Ironic that “Shada” never finished production in live-action, since it’s been remade so many times afterward.  I’m guessing there are other produced versions of this story that I’ve not yet heard of out there (somewhere).

I guess this says more about the completist nature of we Whovians than the story itself...:laugh:

kenman   

I rather liked the animated look of both Reign of Terror, Moonbase, and Tenth Planet (all done by Planet 55).  I didn't much care for the animation used for the Ice Warriors, not sure why.

I could be wrong, but I think the return they probably get for one animated story a year probably makes it worthwhile to continue.  I would guess that any story with a Dalek has a good chance to get animated though, even if they decide to not animate all the missing stuff, I have a feeling they won't neglect to animate anything they can put a big Dalek on the cover...Daleks sell.  And I would expect that if they planned to animate all of the missing stuff, they are going to hold off an doll out the Dalek stuff a bit...release a few animated stories that don't have them, so they can make a bigger event of an animated Dalek release, thus drum up bigger sales, thus making it easier to greenlight animating lesser stories (like...the Smugglers...I don't even remember what that one is about, and I barely care...but I want the whole show to survive in some visual format beyond telesnap reconstructions).  If they think in the smallest of terms, they only have to animated 16 episodes for Daleks...and 4 more if they were to do the last incomplete (yet to be animated) Cybermen story. But I'd love to see Abominable Snowmen animated as well...it is a great story, and comes alive in the telesnap version I saw...I think an animated version would do well.  And animated the one episode of the Web of Fear while your at it!

I felt they'd animate it all someday, and I could still be wrong, but I think that they may have found a format and a company that gels with them to do the job, and having both Power of the Daleks and Shada released in back to back years? Makes me think that they have found a footing on the project in some way, moreso than they had with the Invasion (as Cosgrove Hall, who produced it, kind of fell apart after the release), and they spent a few years trying stuff out with Planet 55 and Qurios, and now they've set up something sort of in house with BBC Studios producing them...and it really gives me some hope for the future of the missing stuff. 

Sign in to follow this