Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

The Atlantic: Revisiting Star Trek's Most Political Episode

"Past Tense"

Lovely article.

Note to Ira: If you still haven't figured out what the 'not liberal' side is, it's that these people would cost money to help, are eyesores, are choosing to be jobless or mentally ill, and are not 'pulling themselves up by their bootstraps,' and pretty much deserve their lot.

scenario   

Sometimes there really isn't another side of the story. They're basically telling a story set in an American concentration camp. What could the good side of a concentration camp be? Are there people out there that actually believe that conservatives should be for concentration camps just because liberals are against them? I refuse to believe that all conservatives are pro concentration camps. 

29 minutes ago, scenario said:

Sometimes there really isn't another side of the story. They're basically telling a story set in an American concentration camp. What could the good side of a concentration camp be? Are there people out there that actually believe that conservatives should be for concentration camps just because liberals are against them? I refuse to believe that all conservatives are pro concentration camps. 

And some would call it a liberal point of view that you would call it a concentration camp.

Even though it is.

2 hours ago, scenario said:

prometheus59650 kind of answered that. It's not so much "pro-concentration camps" as much as it not seen that way. It is seen as a haven to remove the "lazy" or those that didn't succeed in life "because of their own faults".

I can easily see something like Sanctuary Districts happening. In fact - if I recall correctly - right around the time of this episode such an idea was being brought up somewhere in the U.S. Once again proving that Star Trek is oddly prescient.

scenario   

George Takei knows all about camps for undesirables in the U.S. It's happened before. It might happen again.

Some people think if you change what you call it makes it better. It's not torture its enhanced interrogation. 

That's probably exactly why sanctuary districts were normalized in the Trek universe. It sounds almost ... "nice". As if these people are getting a sanctuary from those that would exploit them when really, the rest of the world was turning itself into a sanctuary away from these "undesirables".

2 hours ago, The Founder said:

prometheus59650 kind of answered that. It's not so much "pro-concentration camps" as much as it not seen that way. It is seen as a haven to remove the "lazy" or those that didn't succeed in life "because of their own faults".

I can easily see something like Sanctuary Districts happening. In fact - if I recall correctly - right around the time of this episode such an idea was being brought up somewhere in the U.S. Once again proving that Star Trek is oddly prescient.

It wasn't long after the episode aired actually. California or Oregon.