Sign in to follow this  
Maltz

"Redemption II" question

Maltz   

Early in the episode "Redemption II",  it's stated that the Klingon capital city is neutral territory in the civil war, and so the forces of Gowron and Duras may not fight one another there. Yet later on, when the Duras' forces have been bested, the Duras stronghold in the city is shown under heavy bombardment. How does this work??

16 minutes ago, Maltz said:

Early in the episode "Redemption II",  it's stated that the Klingon capital city is neutral territory in the civil war, and so the forces of Gowron and Duras may not fight one another there. Yet later on, when the Duras' forces have been bested, the Duras stronghold in the city is shown under heavy bombardment. How does this work??

Someone changed their mind...?

Who said the Duras stronghold WAS in the capital city? Just because they have somewhere on home-world doesn't mean it's in the capital city.

7 hours ago, Maltz said:

Yeah. I agree.If Gowron wasn't attacking them, why was the "neutral" city burning?

It's certainly implied that that's what's happening, and I'm willing to bet that Gowron threw the truce out the window when he had a chance to wipe them out.

Failed...but tried to wipe them all out anyway. 

Edited by prometheus59650

12 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yeah. I agree.If Gowron wasn't attacking them, why was the "neutral" city burning?

It's certainly implied that that's what's happening, and I'm willing to bet that Gowron threw the truce out the window when he had a chance to wipe them out.

Failed...but tried to wipe them all out anyway. 

I said this once and I'll say it again - who said it was the neutral city that was burning? It may not have been that city at all!

Maltz   
37 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

Who said the Duras stronghold WAS in the capital city? Just because they have somewhere on home-world doesn't mean it's in the capital city.

It certainly looks that way on TV.

7 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

I said this once and I'll say it again - who said it was the neutral city that was burning? It may not have been that city at all!

Because every time they've used that matte painting in the past they've cut to scenes like K'mpec or Gowron in the High Council.

Where would the Chancellor and High Council meet if not in the capitol city?

Washington D.C. is the capitol of the United States, but Congress convenes in Boise, Idaho?

Indeed, in "Sins of the Father," I believe Picard orders the ship to "The First City of the Imperial Klingon Empire."

And that's where they end up.

It's strongly implied that that city is the capitol city.

Edited by prometheus59650

scenario   
9 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Because every time they've used that matte painting in the past they've cut to scenes like K'mpec or Gowron in the High Council.

Where would the Chancellor and High Council meet if not in the capitol city?

Washington D.C. is the capitol of the United States, but Congress convenes in Boise, Idaho?

Indeed, in "Sins of the Father," I believe Picard orders the ship to "The First City of the Imperial Klingon Empire."

And that's where they end up.

It's strongly implied that that city is the capitol city.

But how many members of congresses houses are in Washington DC and how many are in a nearby state. I could see Duras stronghold being outside the city proper. Just because you can't bomb the city doesn't mean you can't bomb a house 1 mile outside the city limits. 

8 hours ago, scenario said:

But how many members of congresses houses are in Washington DC and how many are in a nearby state. I could see Duras stronghold being outside the city proper. Just because you can't bomb the city doesn't mean you can't bomb a house 1 mile outside the city limits. 

But the city itself was on fire. Maybe the damage spread, of course, but it seems pretty clear to me that Gowron, to either try to specifically bomb out the Duras or to make a statement to all their followers that there was a new Chancellor in town pummeled the formally neutral capitol.

I'm sure there are.

But I also feel safe in saying they don't all have exactly the same cityscape as the capitol.

23 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'm sure there are.

But I also feel safe in saying they don't all have exactly the same cityscape as the capitol.

You're right on that count. Perhaps the Duras were desperate enough after finding out their supply lines were shut down.

Sign in to follow this