Sign in to follow this  
The Founder

DSC Uniforms Explained

16 minutes ago, The Founder said:

https://www.inverse.com/article/36807-star-trek-discovery-timeline-uniforms-canon

So they didn't really retcon the uniforms from the era of Trek we all knew. Both co-exist if these novels are canon ...

For the purposes of fiction, I can certainly buy that.

The Federation is an organization of hundreds of member planets and Starfleet is the ambassadorial/exploratory wing of that organization.   Surely that diversity is reflected in aesthetics of uniforms and ship designs.  Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Thanks for posting that Founder; I was on the fence about whether I wanted to read this book or not.   Think I might give it a try now.

No problem, Sehlat. It looks like the book will fill in a lot of gaps.

I do think this is one area I am more forgiving considering that between TNG/DS9 (including the movies) - the uniforms were constantly changing throughout the fleet.

3 minutes ago, The Founder said:

No problem, Sehlat. It looks like the book will fill in a lot of gaps.

I do think this is one area I am more forgiving considering that between TNG/DS9 (including the movies) - the uniforms were constantly changing throughout the fleet.

GEN even had the crew wearing two uniform types at once; the TNG and DS9 versions.

gen0361.jpg

Dillkid   

Well this is as good an explanation as any. I hope to see the 'Cage' uniforms appear at some point to make it canon.

7 minutes ago, Dillkid said:

Well this is as good an explanation as any. I hope to see the 'Cage' uniforms appear at some point to make it canon.

I believe they did say at some point in some interview that, by the end of Discovery, everything would end up looking more like TOS. I guess that might mean that the crew will get the "new old" TOS uniforms then.

Dillkid   
Just now, Mr.Picard said:

I believe they did say at some point in some interview that, by the end of Discovery, everything would end up looking more like TOS. I guess that might mean that the crew will get the "new old" TOS uniforms then.

I will keep my fingers crossed for that.

8 minutes ago, Dillkid said:

I will keep my fingers crossed for that.

Yeah, same here. I would really like that, regardless of what else I might think about the show by then, I'm a real fan of this kind of thing.

Besides, the rather shallow part of my rather weird personality is already thinking about the possibility of Captain Lorca in a "Cage" uniform. And liking it.

Dillkid   
23 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Yeah, same here. I would really like that, regardless of what else I might think about the show by then, I'm a real fan of this kind of thing.

Besides, the rather shallow part of my rather weird personality is already thinking about the possibility of Captain Lorca in a "Cage" uniform. And liking it.

I just hope they go with it. I  could possibly see them thinking the roll necks look too mid 1960s and just ignoring them all together. An idea I have come up with is the DSC uniforms being assigned to ships exploring the Beta Quadrant, and the 'Cage' uniforms being for ships assigned to ships based in the Alpha Quadrant. 

Edited by Dillkid

3 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I kinda hope not, to be honest.  

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It sounded like as if this was gonna happen in the final episode (maybe even in a final scene) or something. I welcome the idea, but I can see why others would prefer for the Discovery uniforms to stay.

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

This.

The basic architecture of the ship...the corridors...tables...lighting...those very basic things are the only things you might be able to translate.

Nothing else.

11 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

It sounded like as if this was gonna happen in the final episode (maybe even in a final scene) or something. I welcome the idea, but I can see why others would prefer for the Discovery uniforms to stay.

I'm hoping this is the case too. The DSC uniforms are, to me, tolerable because they look like a transition from ENT's jumpsuits to the uniforms we know of the TOS era. The idea that the original uniforms never come about is ... problematic to me. Plus, Star Trek 2009 already proved you can use "updated" original uniforms and pull it off in the "modern" age.

star-trek-2008-DI.jpg

In fact her "prison" jumpsuit looks like something from the TOS era  - - - - -

COULD BE A SPOILER FOR EPISODE 3 - CAUTION

Edited by The Founder

12 minutes ago, The Founder said:

I'm hoping this is the case too. The DSC uniforms are, to me, tolerable because they look like a transition from ENT's jumpsuits to the uniforms we know of the TOS era. The idea that the original uniforms never come about is ... problematic to me. Plus, Star Trek 2009 already proved you can use "updated" original uniforms and pull it off in the "modern" age.

star-trek-2008-DI.jpg

Kind of does, doesn’t it?

I guess Starfleet prisons have command level gold? :laugh:

44 minutes ago, The Founder said:

star-trek-2008-DI.jpg

Well, the cocktail waitress / drum majorette version of the uniform still looks goofy in either age. That being said, I do understand it somewhat, considering the nerd rage you get when you give Wonder Woman pants.

It might look "goofy" but skirt uniforms go beyond TOS. Even in the TNG era ...

tumblr_inline_ms6hkowVhk1qz4rgp.jpgstar-trek-dress-tutorial-3.jpg

Plus I am not focusing on Uhura's uniform as much as the general TOS era. It is not as outdated as people claim as proven by Abramsverse...

Edited by The Founder

kenman   

I am down with both the explanation and the introduction of the Cage era (albiet with more expense spent in producing them) being introduced. I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and I thought how acceptable a bold and colorful sci-fi can currently be.  They successfully brought back the tri-colored classic uniforms in the 2009 movie, and I think they made em work well in Beyond's revamp even better.  You could take the more subtle colors used in "The Cage" and easily update them and make them look good for HD.  I wouldn't mind it at all.