Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

AfterTrek - discussion on the Discovery discussion show

How was Discovery's first episode of after show discussion for you?

I didn't watch it live. Matt Mira, who I've listened to before via Nerdist, didn't work on TV the way he does on a podcast. TBH, I found him really irritating and not a particularly good interviewer. he focused on wisecracking and hogging the limelight rather than enticing insights from his two main guests.

Guests were James Frain (Sarek) and Aaron Harberts, joined from Toronto by the rest of the cast, whose  participation was very brief. Frain was enormously charming, even when Mira put him on the spot about Sarek's motivations. That was awkward. Harberts was very careful and choosy about what he said, in the tradition of the best showrunners. I felt for him when he described navigating and respecting canon, but also wondered (again) why they made Discovery a prequel.

These things are always a sort of puff piece for the franchises they represent, but sometimes you get nuggets of interesting news. The main event was a clip from episode 3, which features Anthony Rapp as Lt. Stamets. It would seem to reinforce the theories of Discovery being engaged in some kind of warp experiments.

There was also an interesting interview with Chris Obi, who played T'Kuvma. Hearing how his Royal Shakespeare Society experiences informed the way he played his Klingon reminded me of Chris Plummer's superb turn as General Chang in The Undiscovered Country.

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

How was Discovery's first episode of after show discussion for you?

I didn't watch it live. Matt Mira, who I've listened to before via Nerdist, didn't work on TV the way he does on a podcast. TBH, I found him really irritating and not a particularly good interviewer. he focused on wisecracking and hogging the limelight rather than enticing insights from his two main guests.

Guests were James Frain (Sarek) and Aaron Harberts, joined from Toronto by the rest of the cast, whose  participation was very brief. Frain was enormously charming, even when Mira put him on the spot about Sarek's motivations. That was awkward. Harberts was very careful and choosy about what he said, in the tradition of the best showrunners. I felt for him when he described navigating and respecting canon, but also wondered (again) why they made Discovery a prequel.

These things are always a sort of puff piece for the franchises they represent, but sometimes you get nuggets of interesting news. The main event was a clip from episode 3, which features Anthony Rapp as Lt. Stamets. It would seem to reinforce the theories of Discovery being engaged in some kind of warp experiments.

There was also an interesting interview with Chris Obi, who played T'Kuvma. Hearing how his Royal Shakespeare Society experiences informed the way he played his Klingon reminded me of Chris Plummer's superb turn as General Chang in The Undiscovered Country.

Okay, I’m glad I was not the only one who hated the after show... :laugh:

Love Matt Mira on The Nerdist, and I’ve seen him do the podcast live in L.A. once, but he was an awkward fit as host; too jokey, not enough content.  Some of the laughs were cheap, too.  Can’t help thinking Chris Hardwick would’ve been a lot better at this sort of thing.  Or even Wil Wheaton.  

Mira’s a good comedian, but a host is a different gig. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Okay, I’m glad I was not the only one who hated the after show... :laugh:

Love Matt Mira on The Nerdist, and I’ve seen him do the podcast live in L.A. once, but he was an awkward fit as host; too jokey, not enough content.  Some of the laughs were cheap, too.  Can’t help thinking Chris Hardwick would’ve been a lot better at this sort of thing.  Or even Wil Wheaton.  

Mira’s a good comedian, but a host is a different gig. 

I've liked his podcasts, but he didn't work at all as a host!

40 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I've liked his podcasts, but he didn't work at all as a host!

Same.

He’s very funny, and his standup is wonderful.  But again, hosting is a very tricky gig; you have to be the spotlight and be able to share it simultaneously, and Mira barely registered.   I was also surprised at the cheap ST jokes; Mira is a level-10 Trekkie, and he was tossing softballs the whole night.   I was kinda thinking WTF??   It’s like having Stephen Hawking doing remedial math...

You guys aren't the only ones who didn't like it. I've heard from several people that they actually couldn't make it throw the show because "the host was so bad". So yeah, there seems to be a bit of a problem here.

Maybe they need to turn down the obnoxiousness volume or something. It was a weird format, because the intro to the main cast was sooooo brief. I get that they have to film in the morning, but what then is the point of dragging them out for this promo exercise, make them sit there and not at least ask them a couple of questions? The dumb brashness of it all was off-putting. 

36 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Maybe they need to turn down the obnoxiousness volume or something. It was a weird format, because the intro to the main cast was sooooo brief. I get that they have to film in the morning, but what then is the point of dragging them out for this promo exercise, make them sit there and not at least ask them a couple of questions? The dumb brashness of it all was off-putting. 

There was no real discussion either.   At least in Chris Hardwick’s Walking Dead & Better Call Saul post-shows you actually LEARN something.  This was just all mindless, ancient “Trekkie” jokes and people trying to one-up the funnies on each other.   Not worth watching again, to be honest.

3 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

You guys aren't the only ones who didn't like it. I've heard from several people that they actually couldn't make it throw the show because "the host was so bad". So yeah, there seems to be a bit of a problem here.

Thing is, Matt Mira is hilarious in person.   I’ve seen him live onstage in L.A. and he was easily the funniest comedian (of many) on stage that night.  And his Trekspertise is damn-near encyclopedic, but he seemed to be dialing it down on (ironically) a post-Trek show (?).   He wasn’t full-on Matt Mira; he was playing to the lowest common Trek denominator.

I know he can do better. 

[SPOILERS]

Ep 2 - Matt Mira was a whole hell of a lot less irritating this week. Felt like someone had told him to take the volume down, and suddenly he was the guy from the Nerdist podcasts, which is a big relief. The show as a whole felt more coherent and insightful, and it was great to see Mary Wiseman AKA Cadet Tilly being interviewed. Aaron Haberts also seemed more relaxed, although of course he was on guard about shedding too much light on secrets from forthcoming episodes. Lots of great insight into the "Captain's menagerie." And yes, that was a Gorn skeleton! I spotted it and it was WTF...? Surely not! But that's exacyly what it was.

Nice sneak peek from ep 3, too. 

A much, much better installment that felt like a nice, genuine coda to the episode o Discovery it represented. Looking forward to next week's now, which will see the excellent Doug Jones as a guest.

8 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

[SPOILERS]

Ep 2 - Matt Mira was a whole hell of a lot less irritating this week. Felt like someone had told him to take the volume down, and suddenly he was the guy from the Nerdist podcasts, which is a big relief. The show as a whole felt more coherent and insightful, and it was great to see Mary Wiseman AKA Cadet Tilly being interviewed. Aaron Haberts also seemed more relaxed, although of course he was on guard about shedding too much light on secrets from forthcoming episodes. Lots of great insight into the "Captain's menagerie." And yes, that was a Gorn skeleton! I spotted it and it was WTF...? Surely not! But that's exacyly what it was.

Nice sneak peek from ep 3, too. 

A much, much better installment that felt like a nice, genuine coda to the episode o Discovery it represented. Looking forward to next week's now, which will see the excellent Doug Jones as a guest.

I caught it almost by accident; I was running CBS AA on my iPad while cooking and it sort of just ‘came on’ after my rewatch of E1.3.   And yes, Mira was MUCH toned down this week.  He felt more himself, and less ‘on.’  

And yes, I spotted the Gorn skeleton too.   Kind of reminded me of Trelane having a salt vampire in his castle.   

And I’m definitely watching Doug Jones; I’ve been a fan of his for years. :thumbup:

Finally got around to watching the final AfterTrek for season 1.1, which features Sonequa Martin-Green and Mary Wiseman as well as the writers of the final ep. Martin-Green is such a lovely, warm presence; I can see why they cast her. It’s a shame they don’t let her bring anything of this obvious warmth and charisma to the character she plays in the show (yet) - they’ve wrapped her up in so much backstory, and she seems so contained. Let her take flight! Wiseman is hilarious as well as lovely - such great natural comic timing. Oh, and the hair. The hair! They’re such a great pairing. Delightful to see. 

Given that this final episode by Bo Yeon Kim and Erika Lippoldt is probably the single most successful installment in the season, you really want to hear from them, but sound problems over Skype make most of their interview incomprehensible. C’mon, AfterTrek - this sort of tech problem should not even be an issue by now. It just makes you look incompetent. Maybe you could’ve re-recorded those sections of the show for inclusion in the streaming download. We sure pay enough. 

Matt Mira’s toned-down performance is now wholly enjoyable and you’re able to recognize him as the same dude from Nerdist. Tribble rainstorm too - nice. 

Martin-Green is such a lovely, warm presence; I can see why they cast her. It’s a shame they don’t let her bring anything of this obvious warmth and charisma to the character she plays in the show (yet) - they’ve wrapped her up in so much backstory, and she seems so contained. Let her take flight! 

My wife and I saw her in person a few years ago in LA at a taping of now-canceled “Wil Wheaton Project” (a geek version of E's Talk Soup).   I was impressed with her comic timing as she did a commercial parody for why America needs to watch The Walking Dead (as a matter of patriotism).  I saw her do multiple takes with the EXACT same comic timing and energy (still getting laughs each time as well).   It was remarkable.   Like watching one of the hosts in Westworld; perfectly imitating movement after movement.   I was already a fan of her work in TWD at that point, but I had no idea she had such comedic chops as well.

When I heard she was cast in ST, I was mentally whooping it up.   And while her character hasn’t quite clicked the way she should (yet), I’d sooner fault the writing than the actress, because Sonequa Martin-Green is f--k!ng amazing. 

Wiseman is hilarious as well as lovely - such great natural comic timing. Oh, and the hair. The hair! They’re such a great pairing. Delightful to see. 

I adore Mary Wiseman.  If I were unmarried and 100 years younger, I’d have a big, scary crush on her.  :thumbup:

Given that this final episode by Bo Yeon Kim and Erika Lippoldt is probably the single most successful installment in the season, you really want to hear from them, but sound problems over Skype make most of their interview incomprehensible. C’mon, AfterTrek - this sort of tech problem should not even be an issue by now. It just makes you look incompetent. Maybe you could’ve re-recorded those sections of the show for inclusion in the streaming download. We sure pay enough.

^
My complaint exactly when I saw that last episode!   Guys...use FaceTime and Mac gear; you wouldn’t have that problem.  :P

Matt Mira’s toned-down performance is now wholly enjoyable and you’re able to recognize him as the same dude from Nerdist. Tribble rainstorm too - nice. 

Having seen Mira live at a taping of “The Nerdist” podcast a few years ago, I was confused by his first appearance; he looked like himself (though he’d lost a lot of weight since the time I first saw him), but he was acting like a ‘character’ instead.   I’m not sure if it was just nerves or bad direction, but by the 2nd episode he seemed to have found his groove and was the ol’ Matt Mira again.  

Muuuuuuch better.

6 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

My wife and I saw her in person a few years ago in LA at a taping of now-canceled “Wil Wheaton Project” (a geek version of E's Talk Soup).   I was impressed with her comic timing as she did a commercial parody for why America needs to watch The Walking Dead (as a matter of patriotism).  I saw her do multiple takes with the EXACT same comic timing and energy (still getting laughs each time as well).   It was remarkable.   Like watching one of the hosts in Westworld; perfectly imitating movement after movement.   I was already a fan of her work in TWD at that point, but I had no idea she had such comedic chops as well.

I am completely of the opinion that Burnham as a character is largely a construction of confused writing and direction, I don't think it's got anything to do with Martin-Green's abilities one iota. What, did Sarek burn out her innate sense of humor when he adopted her?

When I heard she was cast in ST, I was mentally whooping it up.   And while her character hasn’t quite clicked the way she should (yet), I’d sooner fault the writing than the actress, because Sonequa Martin-Green is f--k!ng amazing. 

She hasn't been allowed to show what she can do; hasn't been allowed to bring much of herself to the character and frankly, I think that's a mistake. I really hope they let her bring more of herself to the performance in Seasons 1.2 and 2.

I adore Mary Wiseman.  If I were unmarried and 100 years younger, I’d have a big, scary crush on her.  :thumbup:

I think you'd have to get in line...

^
My complaint exactly when I saw that last episode!   Guys...use FaceTime and Mac gear; you wouldn’t have that problem.  :P

WTF are they using Skype for? I mean, aren't there satellite link-ups for TV studios? Is AfterTrek so cheap they have to rely on Skype - or they can't even rerecord those bits for the streaming version?

Having seen Mira live at a taping of “The Nerdist” podcast a few years ago, I was confused by his first appearance; he looked like himself (though he’d lost a lot of weight since the time I first saw him), but he was acting like a ‘character’ instead.   I’m not sure if it was just nerves or bad direction, but by the 2nd episode he seemed to have found his groove and was the ol’ Matt Mira again.  

Muuuuuuch better.

He kind of clicked into it in ep 2, and now he's great.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

WTF are they using Skype for? I mean, aren't there satellite link-ups for TV studios? Is AfterTrek so cheap they have to rely on Skype - or they can't even rerecord those bits for the streaming version?

I use Skype when I chat with my sister (who relocated to the midwest about 13 years ago) and it’s Freeze-A-Vision.   When I FaceTime my wife (when we’re apart)?  It’s like she’s in the room.

He kind of clicked into it in ep 2, and now he's great.

That’s why that first episode was so weird to me; I was wondering, “Why is Matt Mira doing a dumb character/caricature thing?  Why isn’t he just being himself?”   Maybe it was a director offscreen saying, “More energy!  More pop!”  or something stupid like that.

Mira is kind of a natural B-persona.   He’s not an A like say, Chris Hardwick.   Let him do what comes naturally.   The Matt Mira I saw in E2 on is the one I saw at the live taping.

30 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I use Skype when I chat with my sister (who relocated to the midwest about 13 years ago) and it’s Freeze-A-Vision.   When I FaceTime my wife (when we’re apart)?  It’s like she’s in the room.

Sometimes I use Skype. Often it's useful, sometimes it doesn't work. I just don't understand why they'd rely on it for "live" transmissions. It's asking for trouble.

30 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

That’s why that first episode was so weird to me; I was wondering, “Why is Matt Mira doing a dumb character/caricature thing?  Why isn’t he just being himself?”   Maybe it was a director offscreen saying, “More energy!  More pop!”  or something stupid like that.

Mira is kind of a natural B-persona.   He’s not an A like say, Chris Hardwick.   Let him do what comes naturally.   The Matt Mira I saw in E2 on is the one I saw at the live taping.

That first ep felt so - I dunno, non-Trek? It was like some late-nite PR thing. Awful. As soon as he toned down the rehearsed laughs and let his own natural humor surface, it got better. 

That first ep felt so - I dunno, non-Trek? It was like some late-nite PR thing. Awful. As soon as he toned down the rehearsed laughs and let his own natural humor surface, it got better. 

And I really like Matt Mira’s humor; when I saw the Nerdist podcast live, he was easily the best and funniest one of the group.  What made him funny was his understated sarcasm and well-placed wit.  While the others were bigger and louder, he was quietly scoring the most points.   I was over-the-moon when I heard he got the gig, but that 1st episode left me scratching my head.  

Glad the show is ‘fixed’ now. :)