Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Bootleged DISCOVERY ???

kenman   

It nearly cracks the top 10? Nearly? Shock and horror. Pack it up CBS! Your record sign ups and big ratings for the premiere now mean very little, because if the high illegal downloads of Doctor Who and Game of Thrones has proved anything, your not gonna make money off this thing.

I am not surprised, but I also don't think it means that All Access was a mistake or anything. Because major shows are in that Top 10 every month, whether they be from HBO or premium cable...or broadcast TV...even Netflix. People are gonna pirate, big properties are going to be pirated more. CBS knows that, as do all studios and networks. I doubt CBS will be too concerned with it right now, as I am sure they are focusing in on the big sign ups for their service instead.

According to several media sites such as EW.com , CBS All Acess is a financial success thanks to DISCOVERY. There are a lot of DISCOVERY haters on Facebook calling it "CBS Small Access" and so forth (I am not a hater, I am just not watching the episodes, you know, my choice) but IT IS a success for CBS nevertheless.

Gus

I got CBSAA, and I got the premium version (without commercials) for $10 a month.   Sorry haters, but big whoop.  $10 is a single movie ticket here in the US, and you get all the libraries of Paramount/CBS shows uncut, as well as some movies.   And new Star Trek.   For me, as a lifelong Trekkie, it’s worth it for ST alone.  I’d gladly pay $10 for several new theatrical quality episodes of ST a month for the price of a ticket to see “Grownups 2” or "Generic Superhero Movie # 379."

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I got CBSAA, and I got the premium version (without commercials) for $10 a month.   Sorry haters, but big whoop.  $10 is a single movie ticket here in the US, and you get all the libraries of Paramount/CBS shows uncut, as well as some movies.   And new Star Trek.   For me, as a lifelong Trekkie, it’s worth it for ST alone.  I’d gladly pay $10 for several new theatrical quality episodes of ST a month for the price of a ticket to see “Grownups 2” or "Generic Superhero Movie # 379."

Wait, you mean the basic, paying service has commercials?!?

Wow.

Edit: Just learned from the article that Hulu does the same. Boy am I glad these services are not available up here!

Edited by Tupperfan

scenario   
20 minutes ago, Tupperfan said:

Wow.

Edit: Just learned from the article that Hulu does the same. Boy am I glad these services are not available up here!

Cable TV costs over a hundred dollars a month and has commercials. I look at it as the basic cost is $10.00 a month but if you don't want to pay that much you can cut the cost almost in half to $6.00 a month by letting other people put commercials in the show and paying the other half. 

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I just cant wait for "Generic Superhero Movie # 379."

LOL

And for Disccovery, geee, I am glad most of you guys are loving it a lot, but, no, no thanks.

I am a  retired fan, for now.

Gus

Ten dollars a month, for 9 months, that's 90 dollars. The DVD or BluRay box set, if they make one, will be at most 45 dollars. I can wait. My updates for it will be grossly out of date, if I review it, on my channel, but when I do, it will be a binge watch some time next year. Also I would not be able to show clips, as those are owned by CBS.

I understand from word of mouth the pilot is a back door pilot anyway, and the characters will change in the third story. I just wasn't amazed. You dangled a cat toy in front of me, sure, and it looks very pretty, but it also looks like a new BSG/Abrams hybrid.

Happy 30th TNG. I haven't been able to afford the TNG remastered either.

Gus, I agree with you. I was not impressed enough to jump on the all access bandwagon. It was okay, but it didn't make me rush out and buy. Times are tight now.

And no, I am not watching pirated versions. Those can put a malware in your computer, or can be a sting operation, or both. Not going to mess with that grey internet stuff.

Edited by Chimera82405

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Ditto

3 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Gus, I agree with you. I was not impressed enough to jump on the all access bandwagon. It was okay, but it didn't make me rush out and buy. Times are tight now.

And no, I am not watching pirated versions. Those can put a malware in your computer, or can be a sting operation, or both. Not going to mess with that grey internet stuff.

Ditto !!!

Gus

scenario   
4 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Ten dollars a month, for 9 months, that's 90 dollars. The DVD or BluRay box set, if they make one, will be at most 45 dollars. I can wait. My updates for it will be grossly out of date, if I review it, on my channel, but when I do, it will be a binge watch some time next year. Also I would not be able to show clips, as those are owned by CBS.

I understand from word of mouth the pilot is a back door pilot anyway, and the characters will change in the third story. I just wasn't amazed. You dangled a cat toy in front of me, sure, and it looks very pretty, but it also looks like a new BSG/Abrams hybrid.

Happy 30th TNG. I haven't been able to afford the TNG remastered either.

There's 15 episode in a season. Two have already been released. I haven't been able to find a release schedule but if they release one episode a week like they have been saying the 13 remaining episodes should take about 3 months to show. Once they've finished the current years run, you can cancel the service. 3 months X $10 = $30.  I've got a recording dvr that lets's me edit and burn episodes on dvd so I'll get the $6 package, fast forward past the commercials on my first viewing and edit the commercials out on my second viewing. $6 x 3 is $18.  Or I could wait until they're all out, take the free service, record them all and cancel the service, thereby paying nothing for it other than the small cost of a blank dvd if I want to burn them to disc for later viewing. Distributing the show is illegal. Copying for your own viewing is not. They've just made it so that you can't record and burn dvd's in high def, which is their right. 

There no problem if you're not interested in the show. Times have changed. It's not going to be like the previous shows just like NG was different than TOS. I understand why people just aren't that interested enough in the show to want to spend money to see it. There are very few shows that I'd be willing to spend extra to see. Cost really isn't that much of a factor if you really want to see the show. If you're only mildly interested in watching why would you want to spend any money to see it?

5 hours ago, Tupperfan said:

Yup.

But if you pay $4 more, you can skip them.   Hulu also has a similar premium option, though I don’t have Hulu.

4 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Not to mention that it hurts the artists involved because it’s essentially theft.   I’m not just talking about the actors, but the folks who build the sets, or the people who operate dollies for the cameras, or the production assistants, etc.   These are also the people affected by piracy, not just the actors and directors.   These productions employ hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people.   When one pirates, they’re stealing from these guys too (and as someone who’s had friends in that end of the business?   They’re NOT overpaid, I assure you).

Besides, the DVDs will probably be out in a few months anyway.

scenario   
12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yup.

But if you pay $4 more, you can skip them.   Hulu also has a similar premium option, though I don’t have Hulu.

Not to mention that it hurts the artists involved because it’s essentially theft.   I’m not just talking about the actors, but the folks who build the sets, or the people who operate dollies for the cameras, or the production assistants, etc.   These are also the people affected by piracy, not just the actors and directors.   These productions employ hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people.   When one pirates, they’re stealing from these guys too (and as someone who’s had friends in that end of the business?   They’re NOT overpaid, I assure you).

I agree with the pirating. I'll admit I have done it but it's usually for an old tv show or game that I can't find anywhere else. $10 a month is very reasonable.

My problem was with my cable company when I wanted to watch Dr. Who. I was already paying a $100 a month for basic cable. To watch bbc america. I had to upgrade to a better box and service which raised the price to $150 a month and then another package to raise it to $175 a month. And you cannot change back to the old plan once you upgrade. I rarely watch TV and $75 a month to watch one TV show was insane. That's one of the reason's I don't have cable anymore.

Star Trek: Discovery gets nearly 10 million viewers

No, guys, cmon, I am not watching it, period. I am just posting this because

A) I wanna proof to Sehlat and all my friends here at the Omega Sector that I still can post something positive about this new STAR TREK (but just when I am in the right mood LOL)

B) for those of you guys who think, I ACTUALLY comes with all those headlines myself LOL (just check the EW.com link below, guys, just click on it, yeah, thats it......)

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-ratings/

Gus

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

A) I wanna proof to Sehlat and all my friends here at the Omega Sector that I still can post something positive about this new STAR TREK (but just when I am in the right mood LOL)

May all your moods be right...:laugh:

On 9/26/2017 at 1:51 PM, scenario said:

Cable TV costs over a hundred dollars a month and has commercials. I look at it as the basic cost is $10.00 a month but if you don't want to pay that much you can cut the cost almost in half to $6.00 a month by letting other people put commercials in the show and paying the other half. 

Yeah, but it's not like I'll subscribe only to CBS all-access so that I can watch the one non-crappy show, rewatched non-remastered old Trek or movies I've seen before. So, I'll subscribe to HBO for a few, to Netflix for a few more and so on. I originally subscribed to Netflix because I wanted a one-stop (or as much as possible) destination and didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a few shows (and try to not lose my faith in humanity while stumbling on a million more) whenever I wanted, but it's getting out of hand, and of course, like banking fees once everybody moved to ATMs and online banking, commercials are back. 

Not to mention that you're not supposed to get cable to get CBS (even here in Montreal) and therefore shouldn't have to pay for cable, but they decided to make Trek fans pay for everything else they'd like to produce/sell on an online platform. 

21 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yup.

I totally agree with this point, and indeed, crews are not overpaid. But TPTB, who decided to push this new mode of distribution, are. And I assure you these are the guys who will keep trying to milk Trek fans out of every penny, like they always did, either by charging a fortune for a single episode on VHS back in the days, or now with imposing a monthly fee for a mostly useless service, to watch three or four episodes until November, hoping it fills the coffers and maybe, just maybe, helps creating new content.

It's not the end of the world, but it is frustrating. I haven't watched it yet, but my legal options up here are actually even worse (subscribe to a hefty cable package), so I'll keep considering what I'll do.

Edited by Tupperfan

scenario   
15 minutes ago, Tupperfan said:

Yeah, but it's not like I'll subscribe only to CBS all-access so that I can watch the one non-crappy show, rewatched non-remastered old Trek or movies I've seen before. So, I'll subscribe to HBO for a few, to Netflix for a few more and so on. I originally subscribed to Netflix because I wanted a one-stop (or as much as possible) destination and didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a few shows (and try to not lose my faith in humanity while stumbling on a million more) whenever I wanted, but it's getting out of hand, and of course, like banking fees once everybody moved to ATMs and online banking, commercials are back. 

Not to mention that you're not supposed to get cable to get CBS (even here in Montreal) and therefore shouldn't have to pay for cable, but they decided to make Trek fans pay for everything else they'd like to produce/sell on an online platform. 

I totally agree with this point, and indeed, crews are not overpaid. But TPTB, who decided to push this new mode of distribution, are. And I assure you these are the guys who will keep trying to milk Trek fans out of every penny, like they always did, either by charging a fortune for a single episode on VHS back in the days, or now with imposing a monthly fee for a mostly useless service, to watch three or four episodes until November, hoping it fills the coffers and maybe, just maybe, helps creating new content.

It's not the end of the world, but it is frustrating. I haven't watched it yet, but my legal options up here are actually even worse (subscribe to a hefty cable package), so I'll keep considering what I'll do.

You're lucky you can get CBS over the air. Where my brother in law lives in New Hampshire, if you want free TV, you have to have an antenna about 50 feet off the ground to get one channel, an ABC affiliate. 

I go both ways with it. I don't like the idea of paying but on the other hand space based science fiction shows don't survive on the major networks. If Star Trek was there it wouldn't last more than a year or two at best. TOS had ratings that a tv network would kill for now and it got canceled after 3 seasons.  I'd rather have Netflix and CBS all access for a few months a year than cable at $1200 a year. 

1 minute ago, scenario said:

You're lucky you can get CBS over the air. Where my brother in law lives in New Hampshire, if you want free TV, you have to have an antenna about 50 feet off the ground to get one channel, an ABC affiliate. 

I go both ways with it. I don't like the idea of paying but on the other hand space based science fiction shows don't survive on the major networks. If Star Trek was there it wouldn't last more than a year or two at best. TOS had ratings that a tv network would kill for now and it got canceled after 3 seasons.  I'd rather have Netflix and CBS all access for a few months a year than cable at $1200 a year. 

I see your point, but I still believe another option could have been offered.

Oh and while we're at it, did we need such additional "content" as After Trek? I know it's a trend with the Talking Dead and such, but this goes exactly in the "squeezing as many pennies as possible out of this" direction CBS and Paramount used before when it comes to Trek (before you mention you already paid for it with your all-access subscription, please bear in mind that it's sold to Space in Canada, which sells ads for it. I'm sure this happens elsewhere too. I'm sure some of the content, behind the scenes or interviews, will also find their ways on bluray releases).

scenario   
13 minutes ago, Tupperfan said:

I see your point, but I still believe another option could have been offered.

Oh and while we're at it, did we need such additional "content" as After Trek? I know it's a trend with the Talking Dead and such, but this goes exactly in the "squeezing as many pennies as possible out of this" direction CBS and Paramount used before when it comes to Trek (before you mention you already paid for it with your all-access subscription, please bear in mind that it's sold to Space in Canada, which sells ads for it. I'm sure this happens elsewhere too. I'm sure some of the content, behind the scenes or interviews, will also find their ways on bluray releases).

The more money they make, the more likely it will survive.

An after show costs almost nothing to make and can generate revenue. Let's say the show makes a dollar but costs 90 cents to make for a profit of 10 cents. But if you add an after show that costs 3 cents and makes 25 cents for a profit of 22 cents, your total profit is 33 cents. You've tripled your profit. If an aftershow can keep 1/2 the audience it can still make a profit because they cost next to nothing to make. 

I'm all for them finding ways that generate more revenue besides just raising prices all the time. The after show does generate revenue for all access because of the commercial option.

18 hours ago, scenario said:

The more money they make, the more likely it will survive.

An after show costs almost nothing to make and can generate revenue. Let's say the show makes a dollar but costs 90 cents to make for a profit of 10 cents. But if you add an after show that costs 3 cents and makes 25 cents for a profit of 22 cents, your total profit is 33 cents. You've tripled your profit. If an aftershow can keep 1/2 the audience it can still make a profit because they cost next to nothing to make. 

I'm all for them finding ways that generate more revenue besides just raising prices all the time. The after show does generate revenue for all access because of the commercial option.

I'm fully aware of the economical implications. And I'm even more aware of the aftershow's worth, that was my actual point: Little content and cost for decent returns.

And I know it's always been the case. Trek has seen doubtful tie-in products since the early 70's.

That being said, there's a line where more profit doesn't guarantee any survival, especially if all the profits are made from a limited amount of passionate people with a finite revenue. Furthermore, we both know that they are not generating more revenue without raising the prices all the time. What they actually did is to raise the prices substantially again before they even presented us with the new product, and then attempting to generate more revenue. It feels a little like abuse, especially after so long without any trek.

And we've seen what it does when they milk the cow dry...

scenario   
47 minutes ago, Tupperfan said:

I'm fully aware of the economical implications. And I'm even more aware of the aftershow's worth, that was my actual point: Little content and cost for decent returns.

And I know it's always been the case. Trek has seen doubtful tie-in products since the early 70's.

That being said, there's a line where more profit doesn't guarantee any survival, especially if all the profits are made from a limited amount of passionate people with a finite revenue. Furthermore, we both know that they are not generating more revenue without raising the prices all the time. What they actually did is to raise the prices substantially again before they even presented us with the new product, and then attempting to generate more revenue. It feels a little like abuse, especially after so long without any trek.

And we've seen what it does when they milk the cow dry...

To some extent I agree. But if it was on Netflix or HBO wouldn't that be the same? The only ST series that was shown on a major network was TOS. All of the others were either in syndication or on a minor network (UPN). If you didn't live in an area with a lot of TV channels, you had to get cable to see ST. Some people have always had to pay to see ST.

The world is changing. There are more than 3 channels now. Many cost money. I've never seen The Game of Thrones because it's on HBO and I don't want to spend the money, plus I read the first book and didn't like it. 

3 hours ago, scenario said:

To some extent I agree. But if it was on Netflix or HBO wouldn't that be the same? The only ST series that was shown on a major network was TOS. All of the others were either in syndication or on a minor network (UPN). If you didn't live in an area with a lot of TV channels, you had to get cable to see ST. Some people have always had to pay to see ST.

The world is changing. There are more than 3 channels now. Many cost money. I've never seen The Game of Thrones because it's on HBO and I don't want to spend the money, plus I read the first book and didn't like it. 

I have also never seen Game of Thrones and have no idea what it is about, except relatives said it's like Lord of the Rings with politics, or Risk with WoW, which also I have never payed World of Warcraft.

scenario   
25 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

I have also never seen Game of Thrones and have no idea what it is about, except relatives said it's like Lord of the Rings with politics, or Risk with WoW, which also I have never payed World of Warcraft.

LoTR is more high fantasy. To me, based on my reading of the first book, it's more like Conan the Barbarian or King Arthur with politics and dragons. I've been reading Science Fiction and Fantasy since I was a kid. And because I read used books a lot of the books I read were from the 40's and 50's. There has been since the 40's a whole genera of fantasy about worlds set in an era vaguely like the middle ages with horses and castles and dragons and wizards and stuff. King Arthur with more dragons. The original Game of Thrones novel was a throwback to a 50's style book with more sex. I found it to be an average book of its type. But because I've read hundreds of similar type books over the years, I found it quite boring. The only thing that it had was sex and trying to guess who gets killed next but don't get attached to any character.