Sehlat Vie

Episode 1, 2, “Vulcan Hello”/“Battle at the Binary Stars” discussion thread; spoilers allowed, but with WARNINGS

7 hours ago, nepr said:

Mild spoilers follow!!!

I read so much about how tight-lipped the DSC folks were being leading up to the debut.  But, really, was there anything in these two episodes that wasn't heavily hinted at in the lead-up?

Also, I think it's becoming clear that Hollywood writers think that the best use of a Starship is to wreck it.  I thought I wrote a post on this forum about why I think this is so but I can't find it.  The gist:  Starships are too big for dog-fighting and no one can tell how majestic they are because they're always in space and too confining for any real action and everyone is always sitting or standing at a desk or a conference table or a console.  They are also too powerful compared to a single-hero so for the sake of drama they have to be wimped out via some hard-high-tech or by being hugely outnumbered or...  But they blow up like buildings.  I fear for the NCC-1031.

End of mild spoilers!!!

And speaking of conference tables...  I think STID had the only sit-down conference in the Kelvin Timeline movies and that one was interrupted by a madman with a Gatling gun.  None so far in DSC.  Someone should tell them that True Trek has true meetings.

The "tune in next week" trailer, on CBS AA, looked different in tone to me when compared to these debuts; and a couple of reviewers who have seen episode 3 (and maybe more, the born-out-of-wedlocks!) have said as much.

Interesting point about starships. Star Trek always had a slightly more realistic idea of how space flight might work (I thought) than other more fantastical SF franchises like Star Wars, but the way they've been portrayed in the JJverse movies and now Discovery would seem to underscore your point. 

I was actually kind of nonplussed to see Giorgiou had a ready room. Archer didn't. Giorgiou did. But Kirk didn't! 

And if I write, "debuts", it's because I'm finding myself increasingly annoyed  (but not, "four dots", level annoyed!)...

I'm not really annoyed at all - just being mildly (and hopefully amusingly) pedantic. ;) 

There's a great book by Lynn Truss about why punctuation and respecting grammar is important. Those rules of written language are more and more besieged in this day and age, so apologies if my wry comments get up anyone's nose(s). They're not meant to. 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/eats-shoots-leaves-lynne-truss/1100734289/2675337986358?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Catch-All,+Low_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP79700

Edited by Robin Bland

7 hours ago, doctor_odd said:

I agree with nearly all of this review, and it was all well-put. :) 

Thank you.  :)

54 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

Nice review. I especially agree with your points about how DSC is different than Bad Robot movies. To me DSC looks better. The sets are more detailed. Also, pacing. When Burnham takes her spacewalk she ascends slowly up that tube. You see the bridge rotating the axis of the saucer to angle her toward her destination--which was one of many nice touches that shows the crew behaving like a NASA crew, because space work requires many slow, micro-movements just like that. When she leaves the ship, it's this slow, delicate movement of her boots demagnetizing. The way the crew operated the ship through most of the episdoes created a sense of space-realism that TNG never even aspired to.

If it had been a Bad Robot movie, the director would have shot Burnham out of that tube like a torpedo. All those realize grace notes would be left on the cutting room floor. Also, plotting: About as many hours passed in the first two epsiodes as passed in ST09 (after the time jump to Kirk as a cadet) and yet DSC packed in so much more interesting character development.   

I dont see the kelvinverse at all--I see DSC for what it is. And I have no problem imagining it in the Prime timeline. I believe comparisons to the Bad Robot movies will fade quickly. Those movies were what they were--a fun entertainment during Trek's TV hiatus--but that era is probably over. Doubt there will be a fourth. DSC and its spinoffs (if we are lucky) is the future of Trek.          

And thanks to you as well, Justin.

And no, I didn’t feel a Kelvinverse vibe off of DSC either; despite some superficial aesthetic similarities.    I’m not sure if it was the preponderance of TOS/TNG sound effects, the pacing, or the more stately camerawork, but this felt a lot more 'prime timeline' to me.   

1 minute ago, Robin Bland said:

I was actually kind of nonplussed to see Giorgiou had a ready room. Archer didn't. Giorgiou did. But Kirk didn't! 

Maybe they felt that Kirk was born ready (?), I don’t know...:laugh:

I like a captain with a proper ready room; it’s an office.  Makes sense.

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

An excellent review, Sehlat. Quite exhaustive, in fact! Nothing I actively disagree with; I'm just grappling with my own sense that, so far anyway, Discovery didn't yet really feel like Star Trek to me. I really liked both the ongoing characters we were introduced to, so that, in my view, is a huge plus. Pacing issues aside, I can't fault the production as a whole. I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode now that we've got this intro period out of the way, so we can begin on the central quest of the story. I can't help thinking this opening prologue was something of a sleight-of-hand by the showrunners; a distraction so as to get the whole idea of "new Star Trek" out of the way before unveiling the real central philosophical core of the show in the weeks that follow. 

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Maybe they felt that Kirk was born ready (?), I don’t know...:laugh:

I like a captain with a proper ready room; it’s an office.  Makes sense.

Perhaps Starfleet captains buy their bridges "off-plan," like an unbuilt apartment, so they can choose whether or not to have one. And Kirk just said, "I'll be sitting in that chair the whole time."

Maybe captains April and Pike had a hidden ready room somewhere? While we're on the subject, where is the bridge's bathroom? (It does have one. The Enterprise blueprints I bought as a kid told me so. Pedantry again.) 

Edited by Robin Bland

Just now, Robin Bland said:

An excellent review, Sehlat. Quite exhaustive, in fact! Nothing I actively disagree with; I'm just grappling with my own sense that, so far anyway, Discovery didn't yet really feel like Star Trek to me. I really liked both the ongoing characters we were introduced to, so that, in my view, is a massive plus. Pacing issues aside, I can't fault the production as a whole. I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode now that we've got this intro period out of the way, so we can begin on the central quest of the story. I can't help thinking this opening prologue was something of a sleight-of-hand by the shwrunners; a distraction so as to get the whole idea of "new Star Trek" out of the way before unveiling the real central philosophical core of the show in the weeks that follow. 

Thanks Robin.  

And yes, that could be; it is kinda odd that two episodes into Discovery and we’ve not even SEEN the USS Discovery yet, let alone its crew. 

But, as I noted while writing the blog last night, TOS wasn’t quite ‘settled’ out of the box when it rolled out either.   It took two full pilots just to settle the format, let alone introduce all of the characters (in the 3rd production order episode).    The only common thread in TOS’ two pilots was Spock (who is, interestingly, also linked to Burnham). 

Maybe that’s another reason DSC’s two hour rollout felt so ‘familiar’ to me; that ‘unsettled' quality felt like TOS's equally unsettled introductory pilots.   I think you guessed it when you said  that perhaps it’s all just preamble for the ‘real’ show that we’ll see in the weeks to come (?).

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Thanks Robin.  

And yes, that could be; it is kinda odd that two episodes into Discovery and we’ve not even SEEN the USS Discovery yet, let alone its crew. 

But, as I noted while writing the blog last night, TOS wasn’t quite ‘settled’ out of the box when it rolled out either.   It took two full pilots just to settle the format, let alone introduce all of the characters (in the 3rd production order episode).    The only common thread in TOS’ two pilots was Spock (who is, interestingly, also linked to Burnham). 

Maybe that’s another reason DSC’s two hour rollout felt so ‘familiar’ to me; that ‘unsettled' quality felt like TOS's equally unsettled introductory pilots.   I think you guessed it when you said  that perhaps it’s all just preamble for the ‘real’ show that we’ll see in the weeks to come (?).

TOS set up, literally, a whole universe. The fact that it didn't get all the i's dotted and t's crossed (to labor my grammatical metaphors) and gained a second pilot is testament to how fully-formed and superbly thought-through The Cage was. But with TOS, that "settling in" period was a result of reshaping the production to fit the demands of network TV of the day; in Discovery's case, the structure of these rollout episodes is entirely deliberate. It's an interesting choice, because the showrunners are far more in command of the tone of the show than Gene Roddenberry was in the 1960s. 

Both Discovery and Enterprise have a very different initial remit than TNG, DS9 and Voyager did - they have to fit within previously established canonical events. We know how that worked out with Enterprise, which we've mostly forgiven over the years because it ultimately gave us a great set of characters and some interesting Star Trek. (Plus there's your great headcanon point about the timeline after the events of First Contact changing to accommodate the adventures of the NX-01.) I suspect Discovery absolutely will also deliver some great Star Trek. For me at least, it's getting used to the new tone and the new storytelling format. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to the "mirror universe" episode Frakes hinted was coming... 

Edited by Robin Bland

4 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

TOS set up, literally, a whole universe. The fact that it didn't get all the i's dotted and t's crossed (to labor my grammatical metaphors) and gained a second pilot is testament to how fully-formed and superbly thought-through The Cage was. But with TOS, that "settling in" period was a result of reshaping the production to fit the demands of network TV of the day; in Discovery's case, the structure of these rollout episodes is entirely deliberate. It's an interesting choice, because the showrunners are far more in command of the tone of the show than Gene Roddenberry was in the 1960s. 

And that is one of the few advantages to a prequel; you can make deliberate what was once accidental as a statement. 

5 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

(Plus there's your great headcanon point about the timeline after the events of First Contact changing to accommodate the adventures of the NX-01.)

^
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :P

5 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the "mirror universe" episode Frake shifted was coming... 

I’m. 

So.

There.

Nice review blog Vie, but how did you convince CBS to let you put up actual shots from it? They seemed to have gone after a lot of people doing reviews, stopped some including me, for the trailer reviews, and flagged them. I did a review of the first night, with spoilers. I did not cough up any for AA. Gonna wait and binge watch this thing. Ha. Now if some friend happened to have ponied up the thing half way down the line, then I might get to see an occasional episode. It will be like  when Enterprise happened.

Not like JJ verse? Someone flies brazenly out into space on a thruster suit, space suit, as featured in all three films. Ha. Just kidding. Kinda.

My clip free spoiler review of the broadcast episode "The Vulcan Hello".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoMYb2QOL38

Edited by Chimera82405

7 hours ago, Justin Snead said:

Nice review. I especially agree with your points about how DSC is different than Bad Robot movies. To me DSC looks better. The sets are more detailed. Also, pacing. When Burnham takes her spacewalk she ascends slowly up that tube. You see the bridge rotating the axis of the saucer to angle her toward her destination--which was one of many nice touches that shows the crew behaving like a NASA crew, because space work requires many slow, micro-movements just like that. When she leaves the ship, it's this slow, delicate movement of her boots demagnetizing. The way the crew operated the ship through most of the episdoes created a sense of space-realism that TNG never even aspired to.

If it had been a Bad Robot movie, the director would have shot Burnham out of that tube like a torpedo. All those realize grace notes would be left on the cutting room floor. Also, plotting: About as many hours passed in the first two epsiodes as passed in ST09 (after the time jump to Kirk as a cadet) and yet DSC packed in so much more interesting character development.   

I dont see the kelvinverse at all--I see DSC for what it is. And I have no problem imagining it in the Prime timeline. I believe comparisons to the Bad Robot movies will fade quickly. Those movies were what they were--a fun entertainment during Trek's TV hiatus--but that era is probably over. Doubt there will be a fourth. DSC and its spinoffs (if we are lucky) is the future of Trek.       

If it was a BR production, Burnham would be acquitted of her life sentence just like that, instead of her slow journey which I bet will be occurring in "Star Trek: Discovery."

1 hour ago, Rusty0918 said:

If it was a BR production, Burnham would be acquitted of her life sentence just like that, instead of her slow journey which I bet will be occurring in "Star Trek: Discovery."

No more liberty there than any that any of the other series took. Everyone was squared away by the end of the episode no matter what. Picard was systematically tortured by the Cardassians for weeks and got his ship back. I mean, that he was talking to Troi was great and everything, but I can't imagine they just let you back on the bridge without a psych eval.

Riker seemed none the worse for wear given his dealings with Pressman and the fallout that followed.

And if this show were following that 50 year old template, Burnam would have been just fine, too. But her redemption is the story.

scenario   

I've read rules that there shouldn't be conflict within the crew. I don't think they watched TOS. Spock used the neck pinch on fellow crewmates several times. Kirk got into arguments with his superior officer on numerous occasions. Matt Decker for one. He didn't punch him but there was a lot of conflict there when he believed that what Matt was doing was wrong. 

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

No more liberty there than any that any of the other series took. Everyone was squared away by the end of the episode no matter what. Picard was systematically tortured by the Cardassians for weeks and got his ship back. I mean, that he was talking to Troi was great and everything, but I can't imagine they just let you back on the bridge without a psych eval.

Riker seemed none the worse for wear given his dealings with Pressman and the fallout that followed.

And if this show were following that 50 year old template, Burnam would have been just fine, too. But her redemption is the story.

Well, I do agree prometheus that there should have been more fallout from Picard in "Chain of Command Part II." He would have had to undergo checkups to make sure he was still up for duty or having to take a medical retirement. Sometimes that stuff just has to happen. As with Riker, he was just a dunderhead "following orders" and his offense wasn't nearly as bad as what Burnham did, although he did have some role in covering it up.

12 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Perhaps Starfleet captains buy their bridges "off-plan," like an unbuilt apartment, so they can choose whether or not to have one. And Kirk just said, "I'll be sitting in that chair the whole time."

I laughed hard on this because it is true. Kirk was like: "Im going to bust by butt to be Captain by 36, I'm not spending one minute in a damn office." Or course his quarters did serve as a ready room. He had many meetings in there. 

I just LOVE the telescope bit. OF COURSE you would actually have a real telescope on a starship. How amazing the stargazing would be! No muggy atmosphere. Why didn't Picard think of that? And I loved that they way they used it. Sensors don't work? Use this 1000 year old piece of technology.    

5 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

Im so stoked for her journey. She's going to be unlike any character we've had. She's going to be intense. 

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Captain Burnham's got a nice ring to it, don't you think?

I don't think we're going to be seeing a Captain Burnham ANYTIME soon.

nepr   
12 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

There's a great book by Lynn Truss about why punctuation and respecting grammar is important. Those rules of written language are more and more besieged in this day and age, so apologies if my wry comments get up anyone's nose(s). They're not meant to. 

Well, you sure don't have to apologize to me!  I think punctuation is fun.  I should have used one of these :) in my original comment.  (Should there be commas around a smiley?) (Pretend I didn't ask that!)

My current headcanon:

Canon: ENT, DSC, TNG, DS9, VOY, DSC, TMP, TWOK, TSFS, TUC, GEN, ST(2009), Beyond

Loose Canon: TOS, The Cage, TAS, TVH, TFF, FC, INS, NEM, Star Trek: Online

Not Canon: Threshold, Code of Honour, Unimatrix Zero, Genesis, Spock's Brain, Profit and Lace, Into Darkness

Things in the Not Canon category might as well include fanfiction; they just didn't happen in my canon, for one reason or another. Things in the Loose Canon category happened, but with some events altered and different visual aesthetics, for example in my headcanon TOS happened but the show we saw isn't what things looked like. Or, for example, the bare bones of Nemesis happened, but Shinzon didn't look like Tom Hardy.

Then of course, canon is canon.

27 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

I don't think we're going to be seeing a Captain Burnham ANYTIME soon.

Not soon, but bet you a spinning saucer section she ends up there, or in a position commensurate with that, by the show's ultimate end, if not before.

38 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

I laughed hard on this because it is true. Kirk was like: "Im going to bust by butt to be Captain by 36, I'm not spending one minute in a damn office." Or course his quarters did serve as a ready room. He had many meetings in there. 

Heh. Thanks, Justin. I love that about Kirk - his true and honest love for his ship, for the captain's chair, above all else.  

I just LOVE the telescope bit. OF COURSE you would actually have a real telescope on a starship. How amazing the stargazing would be! No muggy atmosphere. Why didn't Picard think of that? And I loved that they way they used it. Sensors don't work? Use this 1000 year old piece of technology.    

Yeah, that was kind of a beautiful little detail.

Im so stoked for her journey. She's going to be unlike any character we've had. She's going to be intense. 

I think so too. I reckon I know what they're up to - introduce a likeable captain at first, then give us Lorca, who will be mysterious and off-kilter so that Burnham really does become our direct POV character with whom we sympathize, whether we agree with her decisions in eps 1 and 2 or not. It's clever writing.

26 minutes ago, nepr said:

Well, you sure don't have to apologize to me!  I think punctuation is fun.  I should have used one of these :) in my original comment.  (Should there be commas around a smiley?) (Pretend I didn't ask that!)

Sometimes I forget to use them too! :laugh:

Emojis are fascinating, aren't they? Purely because they've evolved so rapidly, and continue to do so, augmenting our online communications.

Hey mods - will there be an episode area for this show like there is for the other shows? I'd like to add a review and not clog up this discussion area with it. :)

7 minutes ago, The Founder said:

Hey mods - will there be an episode area for this show like there is for the other shows? I'd like to add a review and not clog up this discussion area with it. :)

For now?  
You can do it right here, if you like. 

If there is to be a dedicated DSC episode discussion section, I can merge it anyway.

I - unexpectedly - got to see the first two episodes yesterday and it took me a while to put my thoughts in order but here we go.

I'll start with the good things:

- I liked Georgiou. VERY much. I so wish the show had been about her - I'd probably have been sold after only a few more episodes. Yeoh could definitely have carried a show, and I would have LOVED to see that happening. She's SO good, and I loved her character. GREAT captain right there. I approve SO much. 

- I liked Saru, too. Not as much as Georgiou, but he's good.

- I also liked the opening credits/theme. It's very artsy and not very sci-fi. I like.

Now on to the not so good things:

- I'm sorry but I didn't really like Burnham. I don't get her motivations despite the whole Vulcan angle behind them. I can't help it. She's not someone I'd like to get to know. (Disliking the main character is a big problem for me since I tend to have to like them to be able to enjoy a show.)

- Klingons as adversaries. I don't care what they look like or act like, I'm just not interested in them as adversaries, I like them better as allies. I know it's the era where they are enemies, but still. (This is why I don't care much for the era in the first place.)

- I wish the episode had been about the mission they showed us on that desert planet. I know this would have been an episode of "Trek gone by" and that it works differently now (and has to), but that doesn't mean I can't long for what could have been.

All in all I'm pretty much 'whatever' towards it all - not against it, mind, just meh. It's gritty, it's dark, and it fits into our times. It has to, because Trek has always been a mirror of the time in which it was made. (I think I'm just better off watching 80s and 90s television in general, I like those visuals and style and narratives much better.)

So, I didn't feel anything while watching Discovery, it didn't make me want to throw things but it also didn't make me want to watch the next episode. It left me cold - the same non-feeling I had when watching the trailers. It's like something I'm looking at from a great emotional distance and an "I'm not into this but I'm sure others are" attitude, the one I generally have towards science fiction and a few other genres. My mind treats Discovery like "yet another science fiction show I have little to no interest in", at least for now.

It's also like as if the show takes the things I like about Trek and puts them into the background as an echo that pops up from time to time (exploration, peace, unity) and pulls all the things I dislike into the spotlight -or rather darkness, why is everything so dark, like literally, don't these people have any lights on their ships?!- war, action, space battles, mutiny, disarray, lots and lots of conflict, none of these are things I care much for when it comes to Trek. I get it that these have to be in the spotlight now since Trek has to comment on modern times AND it has to follow the rules of dark and gritty modern television, but that doesn't mean I have to readily embrace it. 

All in all... it's a worthy new show. Just not for me. It all depends on Lorca now. If he turns out to be meh, it's "nah thanks, bye" for me. For this show I really NEED that ONE character I can like, otherwise I'll lose all interest. 

Integral   

So I watched the first episode and I would say it is pretty mixed and strangely lacks focus.

I liked the Captain (Georgiou is it?) and the Klingons were interesting if a bit confusing.

But...

SPOILERS:

1. Why did Burnham have to Vulcan death grip the Captain? They mentioned their seven year working relationship and mutual trust for each other and for one moment it almost shone when Burnham apparently backed down. It's awful characterization and a horrible kick in the stomach- we are supposed to like the Burnham character right?

https://giphy.com/gifs/XsUtdIeJ0MWMo/html5

2. And now Klingons are racist!?! So white coloured Klingons (Kelvin Universe Klingons) are untermensch? When did the Klingons care about skin colour? All they cared about was castes and honour.

3. And Burnham is so stupid and impulsive. Fly to an unknown object? How about send a probe? Speculating about Klingon motives and jumping to action despite little Federation/Klingon contact? How about trust the Captain's advice and stay put and don't do anything rash!

Ugh- so she's supposed to be smart and a good person, yet the writing makes her out to be the opposite. It's like a covert racist slap in the face- it's like the episode is covertly saying black people are stupid and impulsive. Seriously Burnham's character is the main character and what this series has done with her... I still can't get over that Vulcan death grip...

{---}

Oh well... On to the next episode.

Lord of mercy I am scared as to where this is going to go next because something about the story/plot is offski.

Pray for me...

Edited by Integral

15 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I - unexpectedly - got to see the first two episodes yesterday and it took me a while to put my thoughts in order but here we go.

I'll start with the good things:

- I liked Georgiou. VERY much. I so wish the show had been about her - I'd probably have been sold after only a few more episodes. Yeoh could definitely have carried a show, and I would have LOVED to see that happening. She's SO good, and I loved her character. GREAT captain right there. I approve SO much. 

- I liked Saru, too. Not as much as Georgiou, but he's good.

- I also liked the opening credits/theme. It's very artsy and not very sci-fi. I like.

Now on to the not so good things:

- I'm sorry but I didn't really like Burnham. I don't get her motivations despite the whole Vulcan angle behind them. I can't help it. She's not someone I'd like to get to know. (Disliking the main character is a big problem for me since I tend to have to like them to be able to enjoy a show.)

- Klingons as adversaries. I don't care what they look like or act like, I'm just not interested in them as adversaries, I like them better as allies. I know it's the era where they are enemies, but still. (This is why I don't care much for the era in the first place.)

- I wish the episode had been about the mission they showed us on that desert planet. I know this would have been an episode of "Trek gone by" and that it works differently now (and has to), but that doesn't mean I can't long for what could have been.

All in all I'm pretty much 'whatever' towards it all - not against it, mind, just meh. It's gritty, it's dark, and it fits into our times. It has to, because Trek has always been a mirror of the time in which it was made. (I think I'm just better off watching 80s and 90s television in general, I like those visuals and style and narratives much better.)

So, I didn't feel anything while watching Discovery, it didn't make me want to throw things but it also didn't make me want to watch the next episode. It left me cold - the same non-feeling I had when watching the trailers. It's like something I'm looking at from a great emotional distance and an "I'm not into this but I'm sure others are" attitude, the one I generally have towards science fiction and a few other genres. My mind treats Discovery like "yet another science fiction show I have little to no interest in", at least for now.

It's also like as if the show takes the things I like about Trek and puts them into the background as an echo that pops up from time to time (exploration, peace, unity) and pulls all the things I dislike into the spotlight -or rather darkness, why is everything so dark, like literally, don't these people have any lights on their ships?!- war, action, space battles, mutiny, disarray, lots and lots of conflict, none of these are things I care much for when it comes to Trek. I get it that these have to be in the spotlight now since Trek has to comment on modern times AND it has to follow the rules of dark and gritty modern television, but that doesn't mean I have to readily embrace it. 

All in all... it's a worthy new show. Just not for me. It all depends on Lorca now. If he turns out to be meh, it's "nah thanks, bye" for me. For this show I really NEED that ONE character I can like, otherwise I'll lose all interest. 

I applaud your open-mindedness in giving it a fair shot.    You tried, and that’s all I would ask. ;)

Integral   

Second episode was better because...

SPOILERS:

Burnham went to prison for life! Yay! You stay there for a LONG time and think about the HORRIBLE things and RECKLESS things you did.

BUT......

Captain Georgiou dies! Why?

Why? Why?

It was like a dagger through my heart... Oh wait... I did cry out "NO!" though because we had such a good character here.

You have a Sun Tzu spewing strategist and someone who was like a female version of Captain Picard and one with this warmth, compassion and humanity. For some moments I could see what Discovery could have been and it was glorious. Dare I say she was even better than Janeway... I've never warmed up to a Starfleet captain character so quickly, it was an incredible.

What a waste of Michelle Yeoh because she was so absolutely brilliant. I did say a month or two ago that Michelle Yeoh as a captain would probably be like a female version of Picard and I was RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Michelle Yeoh should have been the main star of the show, but no... No, no, no... Let's kill off the best character going. Cos' LOGIC!

But overall? I think Discovery has got it all backwards and these first two episodes should have been placed somewhere in season 2 or season 3- it would have made for a great cliffhanger.

Problem is now we're back in the dark again and what worries me is that there may not be a core set of cast members and characters, I fear this show is going to jump around and so it's going to be very hard to appreciate the characters.

This means the show must rely on ideas to be interesting but... I have some serious concerns on that front.

The one actually interesting thing was how T'Klath that Klingon messiah, leader, whatever you want to call him was an emulation of the Prophet Muhammed. Because in Islam race and colour and creed is irrelevant if you are Muslim, but the man died... He died before his character and motivations could be truly explored. Hmm... Here's another interesting and good character killed off way too soon.

To paraphrase Donald Trump... This show's a mess.