Sign in to follow this  
Rusty0918

What do you NOT want to see in Discovery?

17 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Even in the two-part Mirror ENT episodes in S4, there were little attempts to gloss up the TOS sets by having the graphics move, more subtle lighting schemes, etc.   They also used what appeared to a CGI render of the Trials and Tribble-ations’ Enterprise for the Defiant; with those same, slightly slicker lines to it here and there.   On the surface, it’s very faithful to TOS but if you look REALLY closely...

Okay, I need a life.  :laugh:

Total fanboy reversion - [drops all pretensions to sophistication and shouts] CGI GORN! Yaaaaay! :clap:

13 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Total fanboy reversion - [drops all pretensions to sophistication and shouts] CGI GORN! Yaaaaay! :clap:

xxeden10.gif

[quietly sits back and delights in all of the nerdy, ST-goodness...]

One more thing I don’t want to see:  Space Hippies (:giggle:).   However... it’d be interesting to see a pre-Space Hippie version of Dr. Severin when he was a buttoned-up square.  Maybe he could be a visiting scientist aboard the Discovery in some future episode (?)

scenario   

Another thing I don't want to see, easy communication with StarFleet when on  a mission. Bring back subspace radio. When they finally go on their mission of exploration say that it took 8 weeks at warp 6 to get to the new frontier and that it takes 3 weeks each way for subspace radio messages to arrive. Show why ST captains tend to be mavericks. Have an episode where a Starfleet admiral tries to micromanage the ship with a 6 week time lag and giving the captain a choice, follow orders and risk starting a war or disobey and risk your career. 

Also if no magic repairs. If the ship is badly damaged, it stays badly damaged until it gets back to be repaired. 

1 hour ago, scenario said:

Another thing I don't want to see, easy communication with StarFleet when on  a mission. Bring back subspace radio. When they finally go on their mission of exploration say that it took 8 weeks at warp 6 to get to the new frontier and that it takes 3 weeks each way for subspace radio messages to arrive. Show why ST captains tend to be mavericks. Have an episode where a Starfleet admiral tries to micromanage the ship with a 6 week time lag and giving the captain a choice, follow orders and risk starting a war or disobey and risk your career. 

Also if no magic repairs. If the ship is badly damaged, it stays badly damaged until it gets back to be repaired. 

Given the promise of a more serialized format?  I would almost guarantee the last point.

And yes, it would be nice if Starfleet weren't always so close-by.   In "Balance of Terror" and even S2's "Return to Tomorrow" they established that round-trip comm time to HQ would take weeks (though that was cheated by the end of BoT).

Magic repairs are never a good thing. I know they actually did a decent job of it when the Enterprise was in the expanse throughout Season 3 (especially that pummeling it got in "Azati Prime").

Usually I can imagine orders not coming directly from Starfleet Command on Earth, but from the nearest Starbase with an admiral in command. Might edit that "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles" story I did called "The Sound of the Shiant," to inject a bit more realism into it. This was the case in the "Star Trek: Bridge Commander" computer game when "Mission Control" was Starbase 12 and NOT Starfleet HQ!

Speaking of other things, no magic "reset button" either.

I doubt we'll be seeing Space Hippies. That seems on par with believing pigs can fly!

Hmmm. Good question... I want this series to enrich and add texture to the TOS universe, so I agree with others that I want it to remain consistent that that universe by assuming that TNG/DS9/VOY era aliens were largely first-contacted post-Undiscovered Country.

(caveat: I will always take some Q--so long at he's not just dropping in to pester the DSC crew, but represents the Continuum on some important trans-dimensional outreach mission--and maybe establish a canonical Q-Trelane connection).

Things from the TOS era... I don't want to see the limiting role for women in TOS retconned in DSC. Just ignore some of those silly lines of dialogue..To try to expalain it would only give credence to it and make TOS more sexist in our head canon by comparison.  

Good topic ...

I think most of the others touched on it.

No technobabble.

No technology seen in the later series.

No aliens that Picard/Janeway/Sisko made first contact with. I don't care if they would "explain" it away like the Ferengi in ENT. The TOS has a lot of rich lore to explore. Plus, make new aliens.

No time travel. I don't mind a temporal anomaly like in TNG Cause and Effect, but I hated how jumping through time became so easy. Although ... I'm pretty sure by TOS they were able to time travel to "study" some pilot or something. Ugh.

I love, love, love TNG/DS9/VOY but the humans were too perfect. Make them human again like they were in TOS. I don't want them to have 21st century hang ups.

I don't want them re-do episodes from the other shows. I like ENT but they were guilty of this way too many times.

4 hours ago, Justin Snead said:

I don't want to see the limiting role for women in TOS retconned in DSC. Just ignore some of those silly lines of dialogue..To try to expalain it would only give credence to it and make TOS more sexist in our head canon by comparison.  

^ This.  SO very much this.

From Pike’s sexist line in “The Cage” (“I can’t get used to having a woman on the bridge... no offense, lieutenant, you’re different of course”) or the line in “Turnabout Intruder” about how “your world of starship captains doesn’t allow women.”  

Both were contradicted in TOS anyway.

The Cage’s "Number One” was clearly a woman and she was ready to take command in an instant.  One would assume that others in the fleet already had.   I think Pike was just making a bad joke (he even smirks a bit when he see how it rankled his exec).   

thecage074.jpg << The post-joke smirk...

His ‘irritation' with Yeoman Colt was probably a means of masking his own latent attraction to her.   That’s a character failing on Pike’s part, not a statement against women serving in Starfleet. 

And I always assumed that Janice Lester was projecting a false resentment at Starfleet because she had washed out at the academy for her own reasons; not because of her gender.   She was clearly disturbed, but couldn’t accept those shortcomings so she looked for a scapegoat.

There was an ST Continues episode that kind of ‘bridged the gap’ in a credible way, but even if CBS accepted it as canonical (as I do), it happens after the events of “Turnabout Intruder.”  DSC is set 10 years before TOS.

So yeah; I agree that it’s largely self-contradictory and best left ignored.