Sign in to follow this  
Justin Snead

What are you doing to prepare + your top hyped Trek-viewing experiences?

Recommended Posts

For those of us who are super excited about DSC, I'm curious what your are doing to prepare for Sunday night? Decorate your living room with action figures? Pull out your dress uniform? I want to do something ceremonial but Im not sure what. 

 

My top 5 Trek viewing experiences where I was similarly super excited in the days leading up to it:

  • TNG premier: sure if my mom had not called me in from playing outside, I might have missed it. But I remember seeing the promos and being really excited. 
  • 25th Anniversary: by this point I was the biggest Trekkie in the family, and I was getting an entire day of Trek on TV. 10 episodes of the original series; a 2 hour special hosted by Shatner and Nimoy, capped off by the 5th season TNG premier. I decorated our living room with my model star ships. I wore my homemade movie era uniform. My grandmother wanted to call the local paper just to write about how hyped I was. This was probably the pinnacle of Trek hype for me.  
  • DS9 premier
  • All Good Things: I was locked out of the house that Saturday afternoon and had to climb onto the roof and through my bedroom window, but I got in just in time to see Worf and Deana walking out of the holodeck. 
  • VOY premier. This was the last time I was hyped up for a big Trek episode, and it was 22 years ago, when I was 14. So my excitement over DSC is really taking me back to my youth.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live with a casual fan of ST; she doesn't hate it (at all), but she doesn't go cuckoo for it (as I do) either.  As I say, she 'speaks' ST well enough, but she's not as fluent as I am.   Likes it, doesn't love it. 

That said, we got our CBS-AA account ready, we have our Roku HD streamer set for it, and...that's about it.  We were going to have a viewing party at a friend's house, but she canceled (needed to be out of town that day).  

So the missus and I will probably fire up some popcorn and just watch. 

I don't want to watch too much (or any) ST right before it, because I want to ' cleanse my palette' for the new show as much as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm working on the "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles" fanfic series that you can read about on this thread: http://theomegasector.com/index.php?/topic/23203-star-trek-the-next-generation-the-galaxy-chronicles/ - a fitting thing for the 30th anniversary of TNG.

I did get CBS All Access (Commercial Free) and I intend to install it on the PS4 i the basement so I can watch it on the big screen TV down there, considering how epic that series looks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I converted my GF to Trek these last two years, but she'll be away at a convention (a work one) in Toronto until Tuesday, and I promised to wait for her to watch it. I have remained mostly unspoiled, but I wonder how easy it will be from Sunday on...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

Well, I'm working on the "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles" fanfic series that you can read about on this thread: http://theomegasector.com/index.php?/topic/23203-star-trek-the-next-generation-the-galaxy-chronicles/ - a fitting thing for the 30th anniversary of TNG.

I did get CBS All Access (Commercial Free) and I intend to install it on the PS4 i the basement so I can watch it on the big screen TV down there, considering how epic that series looks!

Having only watched DSC promo materials on my computer till last night (when I finally got a Roku up and running), I was a bit awe struck by the difference only 23 or so extra inches made (as well as our home theatre subwoofer and soundbar).  

I would even pay to see the pilot (or first two episodes) on a movie screen if it were possible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of spouses. My husband describes himself as "not a fan, not not a fan". He just isn't interested in sci-fi, though he likes the kind of movies I take him to. He's never really seen any Star Trek. But we're going to watch DSC together and podcasting about it. You can hear us gearing up for what we expect in this episode of my pod. He's basically looking for it to hold his interest for an hour, which is a high bar. It will be tough to stay up on a Sunday night till 10:30. That's late for us.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

Speaking of spouses. My husband describes himself as "not a fan, not not a fan". He just isn't interested in sci-fi, though he likes the kind of movies I take him to. He's never really seen any Star Trek. But we're going to watch DSC together and podcasting about it. You can hear us gearing up for what we expect in this episode of my pod. He's basically looking for it to hold his interest for an hour, which is a high bar. It will be tough to stay up on a Sunday night till 10:30. That's late for us.    

Late for me, too.

I used to quite the night owl when I was in my 20s; these days?  I'm passed out by 10 pm.  :laugh:

And yes, my wife is not a ST 'fan' per se (she's more Star Wars, LOTR, GOT), but she speaks ST well enough.  Put it this way, she can accompany me to a Trek convention and not be totally lost/bored.  In fact, she took ME to my first convention back in 2001 (hard to believe there was a time before I started doing these...).  

And I look forward to you & your husband's fan/nnn-fan podcast!  I'll give that a listen as soon as I'm done writing what I'm sure will be an EXTENSIVE blog entry on DSC's first episode.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got excited this week. I've been watching old episodes -  mostly DS9 and Voyager, the latter simply because I'm less familiar with most of it than all other Trek shows, DS9 because I've tended to watch it all in sequence and just wanted to see a couple of faves. Also a few eps of Enterprise. 

On Sunday I'll probably be counting down minutes to 8.30pm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I got excited this week. I've been watching old episodes -  mostly DS9 and Voyager, the latter simply because I'm less familiar with most of it than all other Trek shows, DS9 because I've tended to watch it all in sequence and just wanted to see a couple of faves. Also a few eps of Enterprise. 

On Sunday I'll probably be counting down minutes to 8.30pm. 

My house, Sunday night, moments before 8 pm...:punk::radekexcited:

 

I too, have been watching the occasional VGR episode.   I’m surprised at how much of the show I’ve completely forgotten (!)...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

 

I too, have been watching the occasional VGR episode.   I’m surprised at how much of the show I’ve completely forgotten (!)...

 

That song...! Ubiquitous in moments like these... :)

I've forgotten loads of Voyager, too. I watched every single episode on its original run, but I've since rewatched so few. It's not that I ever drummed in other iterations of Trek into my memory, it's just that I never felt drawn back to rewatch in the first place. I'm now pondering why I never felt particularly impressed by this show (but remained loyal to it). 

There's a sameness to all seven seasons that just isn't true of all the other shows. Some of it really is very good - I'm cherry-picking episodes and looking online to see "best of" lists - but it remains, to me at least, less impactful than all the other versions of Star Trek. I think it might be the crew, as well as the writing and overall sense of production - at this point the producers were so confident in their game that it almost felt a little bit processed, a little too McDonalds in space. Occasionally they'd live up to the premise of the show, but most of the time, Voyager was this impregnable, indestructible little ship. Characterwise, you had the Doctor, Seven, Tom Paris, but the rest of the crew were really kind of meh. No disrespect meant to the actors; they worked with what they were given. This is the great advantage all the other shows achieved - an eclectic, but somehow balanced and deeply interactive set of characters. Even on bad days (and even though I initially loathed the prequel premise), Enterprise had a great crew. I'd watch for that chemistry alone.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

That song...! Ubiquitous in moments like these... :)

I've forgotten loads of Voyager, too. I watched every single episode on its original run, but I've since rewatched so few. It's not that I ever drummed in other iterations of Trek into my memory, it's just that I never felt drawn back to rewatch in the first place. I'm now pondering why I never felt particularly impressed by this show (but remained loyal to it). 

There's a sameness to all seven seasons that just isn't true of all the other shows. Some of it really is very good - I'm cherry-picking episodes and looking online to see "best of" lists - but it remains, to me at least, less impactful than all the other versions of Star Trek. I think it might be the crew, as well as the writing and overall sense of production - at this point the producers were so confident in their game that it almost felt a little bit processed, a little too McDonalds in space. Occasionally they'd live up to the premise of the show, but most of the time, Voyager was this impregnable, indestructible little ship. Characterwise, you had the Doctor, Seven, Tom Paris, but the rest of the crew were really kind of meh. No disrespect meant to the actors; they worked with what they were given. This is the great advantage all the other shows achieved - an eclectic, but somehow balanced and deeply interactive set of characters. Even on bad days (and even though I initially loathed the prequel premise), Enterprise had a great crew. I'd watch for that chemistry alone.   

^
I could just cut-and-paste this; pretty much exactly my feelings on the show.   Ironic that I’m streaming the show, since there is that ‘sameness’ to it.  After a few episodes, it becomes a homogenous blend.  Not exactly offensive to the palette, just numbingly homogenous.   Maybe this is part of its appeal to VGR fans (?); that ‘comfort food’ quality to the show.   It’s predictability is almost like a cozy blanket, perhaps.  

And yes, like you, I don’t fault the actors.   Having seen part of the VGR reunion panel at Vegas (Garrett Wang, Tim Russ & Robert Duncan McNeill), it seems as though the actors really tried to do their best, but were somewhat stymied by the front office; especially Wang, who’s made no secret of his occasional dissatisfaction with the show’s management). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
I could just cut-and-paste this; pretty much exactly my feelings on the show.   Ironic that I’m streaming the show, since there is that ‘sameness’ to it.  After a few episodes, it becomes a homogenous blend.  Not exactly offensive to the palette, just numbingly homogenous.   Maybe this is part of its appeal to VGR fans (?); that ‘comfort food’ quality to the show.   It’s predictability is almost like a cozy blanket, perhaps.  

And yes, like you, I don’t fault the actors.   Having seen part of the VGR reunion panel at Vegas (Garrett Wang, Tim Russ & Robert Duncan McNeill), the actors REALLY tried, but they were somewhat stymied by the front office; especially Wang, who’s made no secret of his occasional dissatisfaction with the show’s management). 

Beltran too, as I recall. Both those guys were really underserved by scripts. Tim Russ was excellent as Tuvok when he was given something meaty. I always liked McNeill as Paris, but in the end, he felt underserved too. All the characters were. It sort of turned into the Seven-of-Nine show after she arrived. And she was great, but as whole, Voyager just doesn't hang together as satisfyingly as every other iteration of Trek. 

From this moment forward, I'm stealing the phrase "numbingly homogenous" to describe it! :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robin Bland said:

From this moment forward, I'm stealing the phrase "numbingly homogenous" to describe it! :laugh:

Steal away.... :P

Yikes...that did sound a bit Lord McPompous of me, didn’t it? :giggle:

 

Tomorrow is the night.   
Wow... I can’t recall the last time I’ve been this excited for the debut of a new TV show.    It might’ve been 2005 when Dr. Who came back; but I had to enjoy that one solo at the time, because none of my fellow Yanks were into DW at the time (now they ALL are, of course...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Steal away.... :P

Yikes...that did sound a bit Lord McPompous of me, didn’t it? :giggle:

No, it's funny!

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Tomorrow is the night.   
Wow... I can’t recall the last time I’ve been this excited for the debut of a new TV show.    It might’ve been 2005 when Dr. Who came back; but I had to enjoy that one solo at the time, because none of my fellow Yanks were into DW at the time (now they ALL are, of course...).

Me too! :) 

This does feel a lot like that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

No, it's funny!

Me too! :) 

This does feel a lot like that! 

I’ve even got Mrs. Vie excited about it, and he’s only a lukewarm fan (she ‘gets’ Trek, but doesn’t worship at the altar as I do...hehe).

12 years is a LONG dry spell. 

6360077599167423931780732567_tumblr_inli

Preach, Veruka...:punk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got the PS4 prepared with CBS All Access so I can watch it off the system on a big screen.

9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’ve even got Mrs. Vie excited about it, and he’s only a lukewarm fan (she ‘gets’ Trek, but doesn’t worship at the altar as I do...hehe).

12 years is a LONG dry spell. 

6360077599167423931780732567_tumblr_inli

Preach, Veruka...:punk:

Patience, Sehlat Vie. Patience!

Edited by Rusty0918

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

I just got the PS4 prepared with CBS All Access so I can watch it off the system on a big screen.

Patience, Sehlat Vie. Patience!

No. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

Cheap bastard that I am, I signed up for All Access last night.  Definitely will be watching tonight.

:laugh:

Don’t feel bad.  

I was lucky enough to get a hand-me-down, as-yet-unused Roku streamer from a friend of ours only Tuesday (so we could watch it on our main TV).   Otherwise I was prepared to watch it only on my computer, iPad or iPhone...now that’s cheap. :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scenario   

Well, I'm watching the the show tonight on CBS. I will get All Access eventually but I may wait a few weeks and binge watch the shows I missed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dillkid   

Being in the UK, we get it on Netflix. So I signed up for a free month and have installed it onto my PS4. I'm waiting until Thursday night so that my Mum and I can watch it together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this