Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Quentin Tarantino Speaks on "His" STAR TREK Movie

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:
Quentin Tarantino Describes The STAR TREK Movie He'd Make

What do you guys think of Tarantino ideas for a STAR TREK 4 ?

How unoriginal; and this from the guy who gave us “Pulp Fiction” and “Reservoir Dogs.”  His great idea is... to do big screen remakes of TOS episodes (!). 

Really??   That’s all he’s got?

Sorry, but I’m glad-as-hell that Tarantino is NOWHERE NEAR the Paramount lot right now...

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

How unoriginal; and this from the guy who gave us “Pulp Fiction” and “Reservoir Dogs.”  His great idea is... to do big screen remakes of TOS episodes (!). 

Really??   That’s all he’s got?

Sorry, but I’m glad-as-hell that Tarantino is NOWHERE NEAR the Paramount lot right now...

This. It's ridiculous. 

I can see using one as a jump off point as was done with "Space Seed." I mean, Peter David's "Vendetta certainly uses "The Doomsday Machine" as a start, but it is far and away its own beast.

But to literally just rehash an episode with a few added scenes?

Stupid.

Just stupid.

Edited by prometheus59650

Yeah, same here. It seems he is just rehashing his liking for City on the Edge of Forever, a fine stand alone. No reason to make a sequel or use it , and also Harlon Ellison would get royalties, so no, not going to happen. Maybe he read that recent comic book spin on it?

If you re watch Pulp Fiction as a linear story with a rote beginning, middle and end, it's basically a rip off of a dozen mob movies before it, just with more made up dialog.

Tarantino is not the one to do a Star Trek. He would make it 2 plus hours of talking, ending with a 12 minute phaser gun battle, and some big dude shouting Bible quotes before whacking the bad guy. Have you noticed the pattern? His last four movies were basically that, with some nods to old movies tossed in to confuse you. Even Kill Bill is a  nod to Bruce Lee and to kung fu films.

Now I could see him doing a science fiction film, just not Star Trek. He might do great teaming with the creator of The Arrival from last year to make a drama set on a distant planet. I could see him doing a remake of Forbidden Planet. That just might work. He probably won't. But it might work. The movie is mostly talking. He can handle that. Ha.:)

kenman   

Wow...kinda weird that someone who is such an original filmmaker and his best idea is to adapt old episodes. Lame.

6 minutes ago, kenman said:

Wow...kinda weird that someone who is such an original filmmaker and his best idea is to adapt old episodes. Lame.

My thoughts exactly.   

This would’ve been a classic case of an otherwise talented filmmaker being a completely bad fit for a project.   Much like when George Lucas initially sought Steven Spielberg (and even David Lynch) to direct the Star Wars sequel that eventually became ROTJ.   Filmmaking talent is not necessarily interchangeable to every kind of project.  

1 hour ago, kenman said:

Really, if that's the best one can come up with, just take your retreatments to Netflix and lets not dump $200M into it.

I agree, this is also very bad and derivative. Though that's not to say the mainstream media wouldn't buy it hook, line, and sinker. They did bow down before JJ Abrams for ST:ID, and they did make ST09 out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread pretty much when it came out, calling it "perfection" (and that includes Kirk's cadet-to-captain promotion which was stupid).

21 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

I agree, this is also very bad and derivative. Though that's not to say the mainstream media wouldn't buy it hook, line, and sinker. They did bow down before JJ Abrams for ST:ID, and they did make ST09 out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread pretty much when it came out, calling it "perfection" (and that includes Kirk's cadet-to-captain promotion which was stupid).

Maybe it was, but I accept that it had to be done to get everyone where they needed to be at the end of two hours.

I found it to be a fun ride.

9 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Maybe it was, but I accept that it had to be done to get everyone where they needed to be at the end of two hours.

I found it to be a fun ride.

^

ST09 was far from perfect, but (to me) it more than got the job done.   It was great fun, brought in new fans and it reenergized the franchise.   I too, found it to be a fun ride.   I’d much rather sit through that kind of ST experience than 78 rehashed TV episodes expanded to feature length...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

ST09 was far from perfect, but (to me) it more than got the job done.   It was great fun, brought in new fans and it reenergized the franchise.   I too, found it to be a fun ride.   I’d much rather sit through that kind of ST experience than 78 rehashed TV episodes expanded to feature length...

But...but...but...but...new effects. It'd be like watching Director's cuts with "deleted scenes" having been added in from the original and everything.

Yawn.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

But...but...but...but...new effects. It'd be like watching Director's cuts with "deleted scenes" having been added in from the original and everything.

Yawn.

You’d still be paying to watch ‘new’ movies that you’ve already committed to memory (albeit in an abbreviated form).   Again, I love Tarantino’s movies (well, his earlier ones anyway) but I’m glad as hell he was never allowed near a ST movie set. 

14 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yawn.

Most audiences probably wouldn't care one way or the other if it was a rehash. Which is how they were able to get away with what they did with ST:ID.

I think you can heap a lot of criticism on STID and it's mostly deserved, and while it did rip Khan and flipped the TWOK death scene, it was still different enough to call its own thing.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:59 PM, prometheus59650 said:

I think you can heap a lot of criticism on STID and it's mostly deserved, and while it did rip Khan and flipped the TWOK death scene, it was still different enough to call its own thing.

True, it wasn't exactly as someone on Trek BBS once said, the "hybrid bastard child of 'Space Seed' and TWOK."

It didn't surprise me that they'd dig up Khan again (disgusting that they white-washed him) and so forth.

I know after ST:ID came out I imagined that the next one would be a big budget remake of "The Doomsday Machine," considering how re-hashing seems to be a thing of Hollywood these days.

Sign in to follow this