Sign in to follow this  
Mutai Sho-Rin

The Orville

2 hours ago, John32070 said:

Yes, good episode. Apparently the Orville is like the Enterprise-D where you can bring your kids and husbands/wives along. And yes, the humor being toned down was nice, I even got a chuckle at the damage report of someone spilling soy sauce on themselves. 

Speaking of damage reports, how is it on these shows they get damage reports from every deck like 5 seconds after whatever would cause the damage? 

I would imagine that the computers are sufficiently tied into the ship's systems and advanced that the computer essentially knows what's broken and how without even being asked. 

Edited by prometheus59650

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I would imagine that the computers are sufficiently tied into the ship's systems and advanced that the computer essentially knows what's broken and how without even being asked. 

Kind of like how high-end auto mechanics can tie cars into their diagnostic computers to let the vehicle tell them where it hurts.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

That was my thinking too, but the way it's always presented (like on TOS) it's made to sound like the crew is calling in.

I was watching the Immunity Syndrome last week and right after the ship hits the outer boundary that makes everyone on the bridge a little dizzy, it's like 10 seconds later we see everyone lined up at Sickbay for stimulant injections. I just thought that was rather quick. How would McCoy even be able to diagnose that in that short of time? 

3 hours ago, John32070 said:

That was my thinking too, but the way it's always presented (like on TOS) it's made to sound like the crew is calling in.

I was watching the Immunity Syndrome last week and right after the ship hits the outer boundary that makes everyone on the bridge a little dizzy, it's like 10 seconds later we see everyone lined up at Sickbay for stimulant injections. I just thought that was rather quick. How would McCoy even be able to diagnose that in that short of time? 

Perhaps back then it was just procedure to confirm the reports orally to the bridge.

And, as for TIS, I'm not sure McCoy diagnosed anything at this point. You go into this unknown thing only to have 2/3 of the crew buckle. That's as big a danger as whatever you're in because a functioning ship requires a functioning crew, so you start handing out stimulants to address the immediate, dangerous symptom before you worry about the cause.

I mean, when you collapse in the ER, SOMETHING caused the cardiac arrest, but no one's focused on blood draws at that point.

Sucker that I am for Data-a-likes, I really enjoyed the last ep with Isaac and Penny Johnson’s Doctor Finn. There wasn’t an original thing about it, but it worked and felt like a pretty satisfying 45 minutes of SF drama where you became invested in the characters’ fates. When you get ‘saved’ by Brian Thompson you know you’re in trouble. Question - did Dr. Finn shoot him dead when she escaped? Slight redaction of the Hippocratic oath there, but I get that she was desperate and in mid-escape. Her character is one of the best things about this show; please give her more. But maybe less of the annoying brats, vital though they were to this ep’s plot.

Notably, the inclusion of two child characters resulted in less infantile humor throughout. 

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Sucker that I am for Data-a-likes, I really enjoyed the last ep with Isaac and Penny Johnson’s Doctor Finn. There wasn’t an original thing about it, but it worked and felt like a pretty satisfying 45 minutes of SF drama where you became invested in the characters’ fates. When you get ‘saved’ by Brian Thompson you know you’re in trouble. Question - did Dr. Finn shoot him dead when she escaped? Slight redaction of the Hippocratic oath there, but I get that she was desperate and in mid-escape. Her character is one of the best things about this show; please give her more. But maybe less of the annoying brats, vital though they were to this ep’s plot.

Notably, the inclusion of two child characters resulted in less infantile humor throughout. 

^
This.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

I don't think the Hippocratic Oath does, or really should preclude self-defense.

^ And I’m pretty sure about this; my wife’s cousin is a doctor and it’s safe to say she’d probably do the same as Dr. Finn.

Sidenote:  Penny Johnson’s Dr. Finn is the kind of single mom I soooo very much wish that TNG’s Crusher had been.

27 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
This.

^ And I’m pretty sure about this; my wife’s cousin is a doctor and it’s safe to say she’d probably do the same as Dr. Finn.

Sidenote:  Penny Johnson’s Dr. Finn is the kind of single mom I soooo very much wish that TNG’s Crusher had been.

Indeed. I mean, as I always understood the Oath was that you don't turn away someone in need and you don't knowingly make someone worse. If you have to kill someone trying to kill you, then, yeah. You haven't signed up to be a pacifist.

As for Crusher, I always thought her biggest problem was that she just had these 8 foot-thick blinders on her when it came to that kid. I mean, you look at "The First Duty," and the first thing she goes to is, "The records were altered." I dunno...if it were me, given the records, and the fact that young Wesley seems to not want to look at me, and certainly doesn't want me to go to bat for him; all these things would suggest to me that I should ask him why he lied about their formation.

But that's just me. 

54 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
This.

My comment about the Hippocratic Oath was more amused than a genuine criticism. I got more of a laugh out of that than any of the so-called scripted humor.

54 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Oh, yeah. Some really good acting from Johnson - you really felt Finn's determination to get back to her kids.

12 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Indeed. I mean, as I always understood the Oath was that you don't turn away someone in need and you don't knowingly make someone worse. If you have to kill someone trying to kill you, then, yeah. You haven't signed up to be a pacifist.

As for Crusher, I always thought her biggest problem was that she just had these 8 foot-thick blinders on her when it came to that kid. I mean, you look at "The First Duty," and the first thing she goes to is, "The records were altered." I dunno...if it were me, given the records, and the fact that young Wesley seems to not want to look at me, and certainly doesn't want me to go to bat for him; all these things would suggest to me that I should ask him why he lied about their formation.

But that's just me. 

Nah, you're not alone there!

3 hours ago, John32070 said:

I thought it was really bad of her trying to save Hugh. 

"Saving Hugh" in "I, Borg" is really, probably the most ridiculous, indefensible decision in 50 years of the show.

Billions...tens of billions assimilated and dead since. Whole civilizations obliterated...just so the crews feels are preserved.

That's really one instance where Lorca should have been running the show.

Yes. This was a case of TNGs principles getting in it's own way. It goes against what Picard said to the Borg before his assimilation when he said he/we would rather die than succumb to them, so by what they eventually did with Hugh was to say we'd rather die as a people than destroy an evil who are not really people themselves.  Anyone killed by the Borg after this is on Picard's hands because the one person in the Federation who knew better than anyone what could be coming wouldn't stop it once and for all because he felt sorry for one drone.

14 minutes ago, John32070 said:

Yes. This was a case of TNGs principles getting in it's own way. It goes against what Picard said to the Borg before his assimilation when he said he/we would rather die than succumb to them, so by what they eventually did with Hugh was to say we'd rather die as a people than destroy an evil who are not really people themselves.  Anyone killed by the Borg after this is on Picard's hands because the one person in the Federation who knew better than anyone what could be coming wouldn't stop it once and for all because he felt sorry for one drone.

It might not have worked, but not trying is unconscionable. Picard knew what they were and Picard should have known that leaving Hugh with his personality as some sort of weapon against them is ludicrous. Picard surely fought. He swore to "resist with his last ounce of strength." Fat lot of good HIS individuality did him. The Borg can't even exist as they do without suppressing individuality.

I can't even watch that episode anymore.

It emasculated the Borg and it emasculated Picard. Guinan didn’t exactly come out of it smelling of roses, either.

I, Borg is best ignored. As is the sleep-inducing Descent two-parter. 

11 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

It emasculated the Borg and it emasculated Picard. Guinan didn’t exactly come out of it smelling of roses, either.

I, Borg is best ignored. As is the sleep-inducing Descent two-parter. 

Indeed, I haven't seen "Descent" in years. I like the Data/ Geordi stuff and I like Picard getting his much deserved "What the hell was going on in your head?" from Nechayev, but none of that's worth enduring the rest of it. 

1 hour ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

Ummmm - Orville, anyone???

kWN05_s-200x150.gif

Taking my own slice of the blame for that one... :P

And yes, Orville... this Thursday.   I gotta say, this show’s stock (overall) is rising. 

11 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Nice episode.

Interesting A and B stories. Natural, unforced humor.

More of this would be dandy.

Missed it last night, but I plan to watch it today.

Sign in to follow this