Sign in to follow this  
Mutai Sho-Rin

The Orville

Okay, there's a crew member dumber and less deserving of continued existence than Malloy.

This man. Is too stupid. To breathe.

Of course the Admiral wouldn't clear an extraction. I would have said, "Whatever they do to him, they do" and hung up as soon as I heard, "He dry-humped a statue."

And, while this show continues to be serviceable, there's nothing original in it. At worst, this episode is a rehash of "Justice," with a victim less sympathetic than Wesley.

But it felt for all the world like a "Sliders" reboot.

It deepens in the last ten minutes with the asking of some interesting questions and an interesting commentary on the internet and "fake news." But rather than actually toy with those ideas for an hour they're chucked away.

This show could be so much more.

23 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Okay, there's a crew member dumber and less deserving of continued existence than Malloy.

This man. Is too stupid. To breathe.

Of course the Admiral wouldn't clear an extraction. I would have said, "Whatever they do to him, they do" and hung up as soon as I heard, "He dry-humped a statue."

And, while this show continues to be serviceable, there's nothing original in it. At worst, this episode is a rehash of "Justice," with a victim less sympathetic than Wesley.

But it felt for all the world like a "Sliders" reboot.

It deepens in the last ten minutes with the asking of some interesting questions and an interesting commentary on the internet and "fake news." But rather than actually toy with those ideas for an hour they're chucked away.

This show could be so much more.

Just saw the latest one, “Majority Rules."

****** SPOILERS! ******

I agree on all of your points, and yes, it felt very much like a “Sliders” episode; that’s not necessarily a bad thing (that show had some solid ideas in its earlier years).

I like the social commentary on the ‘like me’ culture we’re in; this is what a contemporary Star Trek could or (after Disco’s war arc?) should be dealing with; the longterm ramifications of internet culture.  The ‘trial by internet’ we see today when people are crucified long before they’re awarded a real trial; there are serious longterm consequences to justice if this gets worse.  It’s also a shining example of exactly why absolute democracy is unworkable.  

But LaMarr’s actions were too just stupid to watch; a part of me almost wishes he were lobotomized. :cylonweapons:

Once again, a solid science fiction concept is muddied by banal humor. 

16 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I agree on all of your points, and yes, it felt very much like a “Sliders” episode; that’s not necessarily a bad thing (that show had some solid ideas in its earlier years).

Oh, I loved Sliders. The early stuff is great and it was still pretty watchable throughout, but once O'Connell bailed, so did I.

I must confess, I actually wanted The Orville to suck because I don't personally care for McFarlane's brand of Jr. High humor.  That said, some of the episodes have been very good and Majority Rule was brilliant.  As you guys above me have said, the parallel to our social media situation rang true on so many levels including food safety, GMO fears and popularity vs competence in almost everything.  I had already watched it alone before seeing it again with the Lady Sho-Rin.  Her reactions were very strong indicating that she was totally engaged with the story and its subtle horrors. 9,999,996.

1 hour ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

I must confess, I actually wanted The Orville to suck because I don't personally care for McFarlane's brand of Jr. High humor.  That said, some of the episodes have been very good and Majority Rule was brilliant.  As you guys above me have said, the parallel to our social media situation rang true on so many levels including food safety, GMO fears and popularity vs competence in almost everything.  I had already watched it alone before seeing it again with the Lady Sho-Rin.  Her reactions were very strong indicating that she was totally engaged with the story and its subtle horrors. 9,999,996.

I definitely don't hate it.

But the humor is usually so juvenile that it stops the episode dead.

And I like Family Guy.

That just doesn't work here.

Edited by prometheus59650

I don’t hate it either; it’s like having TNG back but with a bit of “Porky’s” level humor awkwardly shoehorned in to appeal to McFarlane’s base.   Of the episodes shown so far, I’d have to say “About a Girl” and “Majority Rule” have been definite standouts.   The rest have been borderline average, but within the side of good. 

32 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don’t hate it either; it’s like having TNG back but with a bit of “Porky’s” level humor awkwardly shoehorned in to appeal to McFarlane’s base.   Of the episodes shown so far, I’d have to say “About a Girl” and “Majority Rule” have been definite standouts.   The rest have been borderline average, but within the side of good. 

I'd put "About a Girl" ahead simply because the humor was very natural and born from the nature of the situation.

"Majority Rule" was very good for all the reasons already discussed, but it's hard for me to get over the fact that the man's juvenile idiocy caused the problem in the first place.

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'd put "About a Girl" ahead simply because the humor was very natural and born from the nature of the situation.

"Majority Rule" was very good for all the reasons already discussed, but it's hard for me to get over the fact that the man's juvenile idiocy caused the problem in the first place.

^
Definitely (re: MR); it was painful to watch an adult human being (who’s not a real-life elected official) act so stupidly on purpose. 

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

This might be an opportune time for McFarlane to pare down those elements of the show that aren’t working; specifically the juvenile humor and maybe lop off a couple of characters who aren’t working (at least get rid of helmsman Malloy).   I also agree with an earlier suggestion you made about recasting the lead; I realize it’s McFarlane’s show but he doesn’t really have ‘leading man’ chops.   Shatner did.  Stewart did.  Even Kate Mulgrew did.   McFarlane doesn’t

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Definitely (re: MR); it was painful to watch an adult human being (who’s not a real-life elected official) act so stupidly on purpose. 

This might be an opportune time for McFarlane to pare down those elements of the show that aren’t working; specifically the juvenile humor and maybe lop off a couple of characters who aren’t working (at least get rid of helmsman Malloy).   I also agree with an earlier suggestion you made about recasting the lead; I realize it’s McFarlane’s show but he doesn’t really have ‘leading man’ chops.   Shatner did.  Stewart did.  Even Kate Mulgrew did.   McFarlane doesn’t

You could keep the character so he could still make appearances, but relegate him to the background somehow. I wonder if MacFarlane's ego means he has to still be in the spotlight? Or if he's a bigger man than that and could let go?  Promote his ex-missus to captain, who has the charisma. Shake up the rest of the crew. Keep Ms. Strong, the doctor, Isaac, the alien dude and the navigator. Get rid of the helmsman, pronto. Bring in a couple of new characters.

Essentially, sort out the tonal clash of the crap comedy with the SF elements, and allow it to arise naturally from the story and between the characters instead of grafting it on as an afterthought. Then The Orville could really fly.

48 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Essentially, sort out the tonal clash of the crap comedy with the SF elements, and allow it to arise naturally from the story and between the characters instead of grafting it on as an afterthought. Then The Orville could really fly.

^ Exactly this. 

Another good episode all around. Isaac was surprisingly good with the kids and the story was paced very nicely.

Manilow was a nice touch. But "gloryhole?" Really?

Just watched Majority Rule, and scratch what I said earlier about 'Keep the Navigator.' No, get rid of him too. Don't the Union train their astronauts to be culturally sensitive? Or, how about just not moronic? Okay, the episode wouldn't have happened without the incident, but - am I missing something here? Why I am i supposed to root for this guy?

Pretty good idea, otherwise, but I thought handled much better and with a much more savage satirical aspect on the Black Mirror episode Nosedive.

42 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Just watched Majority Rule, and scratch what I said earlier about 'Keep the Navigator.' No, get rid of him too. Don't the Union train their astronauts to be culturally sensitive? Or, how about just not moronic? Okay, the episode wouldn't have happened without the incident, but - am I missing something here? Why I am i supposed to root for this guy?

Pretty good idea, otherwise, but I thought handled much better and with a much more savage satirical aspect on the Black Mirror episode Nosedive.

Well, the incident could have been something far less obviously lewd and moronic, What if he's walking and bumps into a little kid and the kid freaks. After trying to soothe him and say he's sorry he just gets frustrated and yells at him or something.

It seemed like it wouldn't take much on that world to get the faceless hoard to decide they hate you.

As it was, he begged for what happened to happen, then they all act shocked that it happened.

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Well, the incident could have been something far less obviously lewd and moronic, What if he's walking and bumps into a little kid and the kid freaks. After trying to soothe him and say he's sorry he just gets frustrated and yells at him or something.

It seemed like it wouldn't take much on that world to get the faceless hoard to decide they hate you.

As it was, he begged for what happened to happen, then they all act shocked that it happened.

That would’ve worked much better. As it is, I had zero sympathy for LaMarr as he continued to act like a total idiot throughout the story. As for the incident that intitiated it all, it’s almost as if the writer was writing an animated show where the rules for a character’s self-perception are different. (Oh, wait...) 

MacFarlane is listed as writer on all but two episodes so far (I haven’t seen the Braga one that aired a couple of days ago yet). He really can afford to dial down some of his zanier impulses so that things like this work. At the moment, elements like these are mostly just too broad to accept as real behavior or character motivations, but the way the audience is asked to buy them right now means the whole doesn’t quite work as satire either. 

The Orville’s intentions are good, it’s all sort of loosely enjoyable, but it’s just not meshing together properly. I hope he invites other writers to participate. MacFarlane should focus on one job - either in front of or behind the camera, either showrunner or performer, but not both. This is pretty thin stuff, albeit good-looking. The idea behind Majority Rule is great, in the best tradition of Trek holding a mirror up to society, but with a few tweaks it could've been so much stronger. 

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

It's made even more painful as Capt. Mercer specifically told all of them to maintain a low profile and miminize their impact.  

I can't imagine dry h--ping a statue in downtown Los Angeles on a busy day and NOT expecting anyone to notice; let alone not take a video of it.  That was stupid beyond belief; even for a science fiction "comedy."  

I can suspend disbelief in artificial gravity, FTL travel, and I can even willingly suspend disbelief regarding a universe of aliens speaking American-accented contemporary English.  

I can't believe an experienced space traveler acting so incredibly juvenile and stupid.  I would question such a person's ability to walk and breathe at the same time.  That not only defied my willfull suspension of disbelief, it just about demolished an otherwise very interesting high-concept episode.  

That is the basic problem with Orville in a nutshell; it wants to be both 'real' science fiction and a show that 7th grade boys can snicker about in class as well.   Jettison the tacked on, peepee-weewee humor, and allow the humor come from within the characters; as ST did in its best attempts.  Let it breathe a bit on its own, and it'll do just fine...

As it is now, it feels less Star Trek at times, and more like 2nd season Buck Rogers with Hawk & the Searcher (another ST retread that failed).

PS:. Like Robin, I've yet to see the latest episode (from last night?) but I was planning on getting to it today sometime. 

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

I can't believe an experienced space traveler acting so incredibly juvenile and stupid.  I would question such a person's ability to walk and breathe at the same time.  That not only defied my willfull suspension of disbelief, it just about demolished an otherwise very interesting high-concept episode.  

And it only served to make me dislike LaMarr. Not the result hoped for, you’d guess. 

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

That is the basic problem with Orville in a nutshell; it wants to be both 'real' science fiction and a show that 7th grade boys can snicker about in class as well.   Jettison the tacked on, peepee-weewee humor, and allow the humor come from within the characters; as ST did in its best attempts.  Let it breathe a bit on its own, and it'll do just fine...

As it is now, it feels less Star Trek at times, and more like 2nd season Buck Rogers with Hawk & the Searcher (another ST retread that failed).

Ouch!  :laugh: 

2 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

And it only served to make me dislike LaMarr. Not the result hoped for, you’d guess. 

Ouch!  :laugh: 

What, was that 2nd season Buck Rogers line a bit too harsh? :giggle:

Into the Fold was a strong character episode for Dr. Claire Finn and Isaac who owned the majority of the screen time.  The Jr. High humor was at a very minimum in scenes back on the shop, not involving the two main characters.  Isaac is obviously meant to be the show's Data analog and Claire is a generic responsible adult in the crew, but well played by PJJ.  Still liking the show more than I wanted to.

Just saw it, and I agree with Prometheus & Mutai; a solid outing.   And it toned down the juvenile humor.  In fact, it was kind of brushed aside by Seth McFarlane himself (via Mercer).   But as a straight, ST-style survival story?  It was pretty solid. 

This was the first real glimpse (for me) of what the show could be in its 2nd year if it simply abandons the notion of being a silly adolescent comedy and embraces its inherent adventure format. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Just saw it, and I agree with Prometheus & Mutai; a solid outing.   And it toned down the juvenile humor.  In fact, it was kind of brushed aside by Seth McFarlane himself (via Mercer).   But as a straight, ST-style survival story?  It was pretty solid. 

This was the first real glimpse (for me) of what the show could be in its 2nd year if it simply abandons the notion of being a silly adolescent comedy and embraces its inherent adventure format. 

He needs to make jokes instead of forcing them in because he "promised viewers comedy."

It's almost like a script actually gets finished story-wise. Say, Braga, finishes the plot and story, then it goes to a new group of people who decide where to shoehorn the humor. I can tell..you can almost feel when this bit was inserted.

Edited by prometheus59650

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

He needs to make jokes instead of forcing them in because he "promised viewers comedy."

It's almost like a script actually gets finished story-wise. Say, Braga, finishes the plot and story, then it goes to a new group of people who decide where to shoehorn the humor. I can tell..you can almost feel when this bit was inserted.

Exactly!  It’s so awkwardly shoehorned in.  

It’s like the script has holes throughout that just say “Insert dumb joke HERE.”   Much like TNG’s technobabble gaps, where a script would read “TECH” when it called for a bit of technobabble to be inserted by the show's science adviser. 

Speaking of Braga, I also noticed that he directed “Into the Fold.”   He did a solid job IMO.

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Exactly!  It’s so awkwardly shoehorned in.  

It’s like the script has holes throughout that just say “Insert dumb joke HERE.”   Much like TNG’s technobabble gaps, where a script would read “TECH” when it called for a bit of technobabble to be inserted by the show's science adviser. 

Speaking of Braga, I also noticed that he directed “Into the Fold.”   He did a solid job IMO.

Yeah. It was well done. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was solidly-paced and no glaring gaps in the story.

How ever he harmed me with the likes of "Threshold," I forgave him for after "Cosmos." :)

Yes, good episode. Apparently the Orville is like the Enterprise-D where you can bring your kids and husbands/wives along. And yes, the humor being toned down was nice, I even got a chuckle at the damage report of someone spilling soy sauce on themselves. 

Speaking of damage reports, how is it on these shows they get damage reports from every deck like 5 seconds after whatever would cause the damage? 

Sign in to follow this